1966 Ludwig Super Classics

GCDrummer

So, I have the opportunity to buy some Ludwig Super Classics along with some assorted vintage cymbals for a nice price. I'm just interested in hearing peoples opinions on a purchase like this. Good buy for 1300$?

1966 Ludwig Super Classic (13x9, 16x16, 22x14)
late 60's 10 lug Slingerland Jean Krupa Sound King COB snare.
extra 1965 6 lug Slingerland 3 ply(+ re-rings) maple snare

Hi Hats: 80's hollow stamp Sabian AA 13"

Crashes: 70's A. Zildjian 16", 80's hollow stamp Sabian AA 18"

- Ride: 60's A. Zildjian 20" (1.25" stamp w/triangle dots)

And finally, an extra 12x8 Yamaha Recording tom

So, should I jump on it?

Yes and yes again.

Did I mention, yes?

The Krupa snare is probably worth a fair amount on its own. For a mainstream kit now this would be a good deal, the vintage Ludwig market is fairly vibrant right now, so provided the drums are in good condition, I would jump on it.

Thanks for the reply! Just a clarification, I'm stepping up from a Mark II kit (dont know if you've heard of them, theyre pretty shitty) and I intend this to be the kit that I gig with as I am in a band. We play mostly blues tinged rock, surf and modern stuff, pretty much ZZ Top to Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The sizes are good and the cymbals are also a good starting point for what you'll be playing. I don't see any issues. You could try and talk him down to $1,200 but you have a good deal already.

Yes, it's a good deal. Let's break it down:

The Gene Krupa snare will be versatile, although it's not as valuable as MFB thinks it is (maybe a couple hundred USD, compared to the wood Krupa snares which go for much more). The 6 lug Slingy snare would be about a 100-150 dollar snag, each of the cymbals would be about another $100 to the value. You might be able to sell the Yamaha tom for $50 if you found the right buyer...so, you're left with getting a 13/16/22 60s Ludwig for about $600. Good deal indeed!

Get. This. Set.

If the shells are in decent shape then yes it's a pretty good deal.
Just be sure of what your looking at, extra holes, re wrap etc...
Sounds good though congrats!

'65's ; Given to me by a singer I used to play with.

Attachments

• 155172_1726723129892_1292829104_1850970_5777215_n.jpg
    155172_1726723129892_1292829104_1850970_5777215_n.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,761
Yes, it's a good deal. Let's break it down:

The Gene Krupa snare will be versatile, although it's not as valuable as MFB thinks it is (maybe a couple hundred USD, compared to the wood Krupa snares which go for much more). The 6 lug Slingy snare would be about a 100-150 dollar snag, each of the cymbals would be about another $100 to the value. You might be able to sell the Yamaha tom for $50 if you found the right buyer...so, you're left with getting a 13/16/22 60s Ludwig for about $600. Good deal indeed!

Get. This. Set.

I misread it. My mistake - I was overvaluing the snare. With that said, Caddy and Harry Conway are giving the same advice on this thread. Their opinions are more valuable than mine on this topic and if they say go for it, I would go for it.

Sweet deal, just got some old 69's. They sound awesome!
Looking forward to pics!

Allright heres some preliminary pictures:

I couldnt take any pictures of the keystone badges because for some reason my camera wouldnt focus on them! Probably something to do with the reflective finish or something.

The white shell date stamp (Sep 27 1966) is the rack tom

Also, the wood slingerland has a date inked on as Oct 4 1965 and I wanted to take a picture of it, but the snare head is somewhat clouded. Hard to see in pictures. I'm pretty sure its made of mahogany, although im almost just as likely to be wrong!

Chrome snare is made of brass, and they both sound AMAZING.

Attachments

• IMG_7952.JPG
    IMG_7952.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,703
  • IMG_7953.JPG
    IMG_7953.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,690
  • IMG_7955.JPG
    IMG_7955.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,621
  • IMG_7956.JPG
    IMG_7956.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,687
  • IMG_7966.JPG
    IMG_7966.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,647
  • IMG_7958.JPG
    IMG_7958.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,634
  • IMG_7962.JPG
    IMG_7962.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,695
  • IMG_7964.JPG
    IMG_7964.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,637
Wow, VERY nice looking!
I keep telling myself not to be jealous...
I just got these guys after all.
picture.php

Yes, they were, Tswwassen to be exact. Theyre in my house now! I'll post some pictures ASAP.

Hey guy, good job, I like them alot.
Funny he's had them up for sale for quite sometime and I was actually going to go look at them but something else fell into my lap right around the same time.
I talked to the guy selling them and he was a straight shooter and the drums look (from your pics and the high reso ones he gave me) good.
Good for you take care of them, but make sure you play them!!!!!!
Good purchase, great finish as well which is a bonus.

These drums are going to be my workhorse, because I don't have any income to speak of to afford another set! (High school senior)

I'm probably gonna clean them up and give them a good polish. I heard car wax does wonders to wraps! Also did I mention how wicked the 6 lug snare sounds? It's got what I believe to be a 3 ply construction of mahogany-poplar-maple (maple interior) and oak reinforcing hoops. Sounds wicked!

These drums are going to be my workhorse, because I don't have any income to speak of to afford another set! (High school senior)

I'm probably gonna clean them up and give them a good polish. I heard car wax does wonders to wraps! Also did I mention how wicked the 6 lug snare sounds? It's got what I believe to be a 3 ply construction of mahogany-poplar-maple (maple interior) and oak reinforcing hoops. Sounds wicked!

Good for you, if I may.
Get a new reso head on that bass drum!!!!

Back