Creating my own vintage natural finish?

Yeah it isn't too difficult at all, remove your heads, strip apart all the lugs and then slowly tease the wrap away. Hair dryers work well for warming up the glue and be sure to remove the staples and gromets nice and slowly. If you do end up splintering parts, just use polyfilla and sand away the excess to get a nice smooth shell again, then finish it in whatever way you so desire.

I did the same thing with my old Sonor 505's the used to look like this:
1450041_800.jpg

but now they look like:

211695_SDC11176.JPG

I'm planning to buy a drum with white marin finish and convert it into the yamaha finish vintage natural.
Some drums, the wrap literally falls off the shell, once you remove the hardware. Some wraps are just glued at the seam. Others, the whole shell is covered in glue.​
Is it difficult to get rid of the wrap and glue?
Not difficult, but it can be time consuming.​
Does someone know how that finish is created?
Yes.​
Is it wax or oil or both?
Neither, it's a lacquer paint job.​

Attachments

• yamaha2.jpg
    yamaha2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 191
.....are you really sure?

Quite sure ... those are my Yamaha Recording Customs ... in my living room. Second set of RC's I've owned. First set I owned, was the Tobacco Burst finish ... also laquer.

Attachments

• IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 175
Banana---I have a lot of Yamaha's older catalogs and they specifically cover the "vintage finish" in their text. It's actually a "resin oil" they apply by hand and the drums actually sit in their shop for several months to obtain this "aged" look that is instantly classic. Of course, Yamaha will never divulge that in-house secret as to what brand resin they use, but I'd say check with some wood finishing stores if you have any in your area--simply google "wood finishing"-- and ask them if they know of anything they offer that might offer the same or close results. It will be a product that is amber looking while in the can and they should be able to help you locate an "aging" product. Probably not exactly what Yamaha uses but close enough to achieve the desired result. While you're at it, google "yamaha vintage finish".

Last edited:
Quite sure ... those are my Yamaha Recording Customs ... in my living room. Second set of RC's I've owned. First set I owned, was the Tobacco Burst finish ... also laquer.

The vintage natural finish on MCA does not have a polished surface and as the post above says, it's aparently some kind of resin oil. Thank you anyway!

By the way my kit has changed colour a lot during the one and a half years I've had it. Out of the box it has the fresh wood light colour, but now it is much darker, more amber like.

Banana---I have a lot of Yamaha's older catalogs and they specifically cover the "vintage finish" in their text. It's actually a "resin oil" they apply by hand .........Yamaha uses but close enough to achieve the desired result. While you're at it, google "yamaha vintage finish".

I know I got some paper along with my kit describing the nature of the finish, I have it in the rehearsal room. Thanks for reminding and explaning!

Back