I want everyone's opinion on the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida drum solo

I still love that song as well as the solo today...what a great solo...it was all that was talked about when I was a kid and it ticked us all off when the radio station would skip the solo due to time constraints!

rootheart: nice cover of the classic thoroughly enjoyed and I like your spicing it up; you guys had them all rocking!

Hey Crew,

Man, someone opened up a "history book" for me-- I was Doug Ingle's apartment manager at a Hollywood apartment at 1819 Ivar Avenue for 3 years, got to know the guy well. (from 1981 to 1983)

He actually OWNED that building until he went broke, and then "sold" it to the management company that gave him free rent forever, or until he moved out.

Me and Doug go back a hella lotta years--he's a great guy.

He left the band a few years back to take care of his sick mom in San Diego, and I haven't heard from him since. Hope he's doing good, and is OK.

Cheers,
C. P.

I was a mid-teen back then and while I did hear it a couple of times I never really got "into" it because I had some Buddy Rich big band albums and also a couple of Gene & Buddy duets and drum battle records.

Very long and drawn out. There, that's my impression. Otherwise nice song to kick back and listen to if you are totally stoned...........;-}

Same here...grin!
("Can you guys play Wipeout?" I still hear this question in my nightmares)

My opinion on ANY drumsolo, and Gadda-Da-Vida in special, is:
"If the audience stops dancing and handclapping, and they stand there with their mouths wide open being very impressed, then you know you are doing something wrong" .

Here is how I used to play it, spicing it up (contemporary) just a little..but not too much..(sweet spot is the key) . listen to the audience!´s handclap
My trick to keep the crowd focussed on the beat was trying to make them hear the 3/2 clave all the way through, though it is not being played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9qKQi3TLyw

That's nice that it's how YOU'D do it, but time has already been tested on this one, he did it JUST right and it's now a part of history proving once again, that there ARE no rules.

Right place, right time, and ANYTHING is possible in music. Not something you could plan on for sure, but true nonetheless.

Holy cow does this go way back.

This was my drum solo back in 1968. The album had just barely come out and we (the band) go. Man this is different.

But for the longest time we couldn't understand why people stopped dancing when the song started till a couple years later some of our classmates said. It's a great song, but damn hard to dance to. So that night way back than i threw the LP on the turn table and tried to dance to it. Man they were so right.
I looked like a chicked farmer on one leg trying to skip over the Chicken S***.

Back