Chris "Daddy" Dave

From france : it is not a serious magazine if they don't sacralise this guy, he plays like nobody before, and the reason is that most of people can't hear what he's really doing. Real music only for real people.

I really like his playing on...that Kenny Garrett album I have (what's the name?...) but I remember the first time I listened to the whole album and at the end, the last few tracks thinking "holy crap he just got a lot better on these tracks, that's amazing!" and it turned out that Eric Harland was the drummer...

But still, great player. One of my favorites in the straight-ahead/modern scene.

Along with ?uestlove, Mark Guiliana and Brian Blade; "Daddy" Dave is one of my favourites. I still don't understand why he doesn't get more attention.

As Jastjohn says he really does fuse hiphop and jazz in a very organic way compared to most other drummers who are trying to do this (which I have noticed happening even more now around the college where I study).

He's playing with Robert Glasper in the UK in a few weeks...I'm so excited!

Not only is he playing right near where I study in Birmingham, because we have a deal with the promoter we get in free!

I can't wait to meet "Daddy"!

Any drummers in or near Birmingham, Edinburgh, London, Gateshead or Leeds should make the effort to see him in person. The man is unreal!

Just got back...CD absolutely killed it! THE best (IMO) and nicest drummer I have seen live.

When can he have his own page!?

He's got the next Erykah Badu tour aswell.

I saw him for the first time in BMore with Badu at The African American Heritage Fest he played so well. He is definitely a favorite. Does anyone have any transcripts to share of him?

isnt youtube great ...any ideas on his cymbal set up...are they 16 inch hats..and those crashes are beautiful...I would love to see him play in Australia.

hey folks,

...one more thing: does anybody know how chris reaches his spead with his right hand on hihats etc...it seems like a sort of single handed roll or something...any suggestions?

.lo

hey folks,

...one more thing: does anybody know how chris reaches his spead with his right hand on hihats etc...it seems like a sort of single handed roll or something...any suggestions?

.lo

I dont know, but I saw him playing w/Mint Condition at a concert last year and he was doing that...I have no idea how, but it blew me away!

I was lucky enough to go to school with Chris & met him in the Summer Jazz Workshop in Houston when we were just kids. He was a monster then. I was completely jealous of him of course (fellow drummer here). But if he was playing I damn sure stopped what I was doing and listened. He was never afraid of trying ANYTHING on the drums. I don't think I've heard him play the same lick twice... As far as his quickness that someone posted about earlier - he's just damn quick. That's all. I'm sure he has techniques for *really* fast one handed playing, but mostly he just muscles it through. One of the most dynamic drummers ever...

He uses two sticks in his right hand. God Bless.

hey folks,

.lo

he does it with two sticks in one hand, one on top and one underneath. i was a bit disappointed when i found this out, but o well, still sounds siick!

This man changed all my life and aproach to the instrument.... i have to start all over again.... long live the dave!!!!!

Cheers from Chile...

Back