DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:22 PM

Default Have i lost it?

Hello everyone,

Pretty much im a beginner drummer and im learning to play with my teacher. Now, i stopped having lessons from him because i always travel to my home country when summer comes along. Obviously how i couldn't take my drum set with me, i suggested to him that i would try using "Stick Control Method" with a drum pad. Sure enough i brought them with me and now i just cant get into it. It might be because of the lack of having a physical drum in front of me, but i dont know i just find it EXTREMELY boring. Sometimes i try to get into it but i cant keep playing and so i stop. Do you think i've lost the passion to play drums? I really love it and think it's only because i dont have the real thing in front of me. With real drums practicing went very smooth.

Sorry also dont know if this is in the right topic.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Have i lost it?

I find a practice pad one of the handiest things but I sometimes fall asleep while practicing rudiments. I get bored too.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 PM

Some people have suggested playing rudiments or other technique exercises (e.g. shuffles) to a song on the pad. Keeps it more interesting. I also find that using a metronome on my iPhone or iPad allows me to set goals for speed and see improvement each day.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

You're in a temporary situation. So you make the best of it. In fact, most drummers can't stop playing, so having a pad is necessary as you can't really bang away on the real thing late at night. I'll grant you that you're young. So you'll figure it out. If you need to have the 'real thing' to be able to practice, then getting better for you is going to take a bit longer than most beginning drummers who've incorporated having the pad to practice on.

Maybe to answer your question: Have you lost it? Not yet. But if you don't get into practicing, you will.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

I need the real thing, too. I want to play drums, not pads!

When I first got it into my head that I wanted to play drums, my brother got me a practice pad. I treated it as a drumset with different areas of it representing snare, toms, and cymbals. I tapped my foot on the floor for the bass drum parts while playing along to the radio. I don't think I ever really practiced rudiments or anything on it.

Eventually, I got a cheap drum kit and was up and running right away, so I'm convinced the pad served its purpose.

Later, I joined the Navy (6 years with no kit!) and got another pad, treating it the same way. I was definitely a better player when I got out 6 years later because of pad.

Even though I wasn't serious about practicing rudiments and working from books and all that, it's pretty hard not to fool around with doubles, paraddidles, etc while playing a pad.

Yeah, a kit's the way to go for me, but a pad's better than nothing. Hang in there and make the best of what you have.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

I do a lot of practice at home normally but I'm travelling around the US right now, just mucking around on the pad everyday in my hotel to try and maintain things. It is a bit soul sucking and I can't play it for too long before losing interest. I am thankful that the pad exposed my crap technique and it was a part of my practice for a couple of years but I don't find that it translates all that well to my style of drum set playing. It is maybe a bit more helpful with fills rather than beats.

I am in Las Vegas right now and I dropped into Sam ash to see if I could play some drums.. I played like crap. Despite my efforts on the pad. Maybe just an off day but it's pretty depressing.

If you can't get a real kit setup somewhere can you get an electric kit? Or a dw practice tree?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 PM

Thanks everyone for helping me out, i finally got into it. I listened to music and that helped a lot! I'm going to try to play it 1 to 1.5 hours a day. One more question, how long until you see the differences? I know it must be different for some but how was your experience?

Thanks again everyone,
HR
Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 AM

I don't mind playing rudiments and actually sort of enjoy practicing them but Stick Control is a different matter and I see that book as a different type of practice than practicing rudiments. Stick Control is more concerned with control and endurance. Rudiments are more application based, if you get me.

Stick Control is a tedious book to practice, and it can be hard to stick with it. I've been playing 8 and a half years and find it boring as hell at times to do. It's worth it but I hope that reassures you that it isn't just beginners who find it boring. Try practicing it with music in the background, something like EDM or Disco music that has a 4 on the floor pulse, that can replace a metronome.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:26 AM
Gold Member

Part of getting to be 'great' at anything is learning to endure boredom.

The self discipline that results is as important as the skills developed.

I wish I could say there is a magic solution...as far as I know the only solution is to endure and persevere while not pushing so hard as to fully 'burn out'.

Good luck!

...and glad to hear you are feeling a little more tolerant of the pad work...
Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riquediz View Post
I'm going to try to play it 1 to 1.5 hours a day. One more question, how long until you see the differences? I know it must be different for some but how was your experience?
I notice improvement by the next day or two.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

Everyone is different. I bought Stick Control as it was lauded by all and sundry, only to find.....its a load of rudiments. It has sat on a bookcase for 7 years now. I hate rudiments, I play along to songs to learn and experiment with new, to me , grooves, fills, patterns etc and I love it. But, as I say that's just me. Try different things to find what suits your personality. Try a teacher or two, play to a metronome, use an electronic kit, whatever motivates you.

My youngest daughter is just like me, the attention span of a goldfish. She wanted to learn to play the guitar. If I had tried to teach her chord structures and scales she would have walked away after an hour. I asked her to pick a song she would like to play and sing and, luckily, she chose Jolene. Because she was learning a specific song, that she wanted to know, she could see the progress and feel the pride when she mastered the chords and could sing it. Then I tell her there are countless songs with those chords in them so she can play lots of songs. Learn another chord to go with them and more opportunities open up. She still plays now 6 years on and is quite good at parties.

Make the instrument fit you, not just physically but in learning also, It will keep you motivated and loving the drums.