John Dolmayan

• Thread starter System_Of_A_Slipknot
  • Start date
Re: john dolmayan of system of a down

I like him alot and he comes across as a good drummer but he's never really impressed me. Thats not a big complaint and he certainly hasnt done anything I disagree with musically.

I think John is a good drummer. In fact, he was the guy who got me into System of a Down because i seen his drumming in the video Toxicity, and then i went out and bought the album. I love how he sounds on the new album.

yeah hes pretty good listen to his drumming in songs like chop suey , aerieals , deer dance and X hes one of my favorites

Ya hes always been an awesome drummer but i dont like Mezmorized as much as there old stuff it just dosnt have the same feel.

I took the Stu_Strib test with Dolmayan. Yep, that dude can play.

The test is, you listen to the music, then try to copy the style and feel of the seemingly easy sounding bits.

And damn, is his style unique and hard to copy.

Toxicity is a perfect example. Its not physically or musically challeging, its just really hard to nail.

Jon Dolmayan

i think jon is a great drummer, not tht he writes his own stuff but he contributes to it so much and makes the song wat it is!

he's not one of those drummers that just thrashes out on toms the whole time (joey jordison cough cough)...

the only problem is, he's c**p live!!

whot do u think of him?

I think he's a great drummer!
Has a few quick changes, tasteful double kick work aswell.

I like his unique style. He doesn't sound like a "normal" metal drummer. I like System of a Down, too.

im not a fan of the music he plays along with (SOAD) but i definetly like his style. He's never had me say "OMG!!!!111" but he's definetly an awsome drummer.

He's so unique. His choice of grooves and fills are so real and somehow unrepetitive (I don't get sick of it). The band itself is amazing. To articulate that much in that kind of style is not easy to do, with all of the crunching and low tones. They somehow manage to keep it interesting and dynamic. I really respect them, and I think that the drummer somewhat makes the band. He's so dynamic and full of energy. He has great chops, great feel, great timing.

They do need to stop that damn guitarist singing though, he's severely mediocre. Serj is a much better vocalist, I can't stand the amount of lead time they took away from him on the new album in favour of hideous screeching. Urk.

Hehe, I definately agree with that. I dont know what possessed the band to let him sing when he is in no way a singer. I hope the second album this year from them has less of him. Stick to what he is good at.
In fact it leads to a complaint I have about SOAD. They have all the vocals coolness in Chop Suey for example but they cannot do it live at all. I've seen and heard them live (on videos and bootlegs) and they cant do it. I dont really like it when bands record things but then cant pull them off where it really matters.

Re: Jon Dolmayan

I personally have been more inspired by john than any other modern rock drummer. He was my fav during a crucial part of my learning period on drums and he continues to be one of my faves. His style is completely his and he has a mastery of time, physically and conceptually. As for system, they continue to be one of my favorite modern rock bands, although I resent Daron singing so much on the new albums. If you don't like their releases this year, check out the self titled cd.

finnhiggins said:
They do need to stop that damn guitarist singing though, he's severely mediocre. Serj is a much better vocalist, I can't stand the amount of lead time they took away from him on the new album in favour of hideous screeching. Urk.

I love the contrast of the two.

finnhiggins said:
Agreed, especially considering what a versatile vocalist serj is, i can't quite believe how much they use the other guy now. dissapointing.

Back