Auditioning for a band

DavidDrums

I auditioned for a band a couple of days ago, i did not know any of their songs and just threw myself at learning one song right there. I did terrible unfortunately; i consider myself a very good drummer, i felt nervous lost and i could not remember any of the changes after a couple of repetitions of the song.

This has happend twice so far to were i cant play to my potential and i tend to get nervous and blank minded, then i start to play like crap.

Any suggestions on how to keep cool confident and be able to play and show my potential at an audition?

Why would you go to an audition without knowing any of the songs you were going to play? That's unfair to you and them. If they asked you to sight read a piece of music ok, but if they have songs from a set list or something, you should be given a chance to learn them on your own first and show up prepared. I was given a demo from a band that wanted me for some studio work before we ever got togeather for a practice. As far as showing them what you were capable of, that should come with time after securing the gig first. Even F1 drivers take a few practice laps before going full out on a new track.

David, sorry to hear it. Ouch. I wonder if the band's style suited yours? I filled in with a band playing 80s rock covers about a year ago and I wasn't happy with how I played. I really couldn't get into it because I'm much more comfortable with the more relaxed of 70s and, especially, 60s rock, soul, RnB and blues. I generally like those styles more too.

As for nerves, I've never worked that one out, although I find that the more gigs you play the easier it gets. I used to look out there and think, "OMG, there's all these people who have paid money to see us and expecting me to help them have a good night". I might have been better off thinking, "I'm going to give this lot (and the band) a GREAT time!" :)

my band auditioned a bunch of bass players a few months ago. we didn't care too much if they couldn't learn our songs on the spot. we were more concerned with their raw ability and style of playing and whether or not we thought they'd be a good fit in the band. we also considered things like whether they seemed willing and able to pay the practice room rent and come to practices and performances regularly. that's the stuff that matters!

Preparation is the key to confidence. Before you audition, ask them what they're going to want you to play. Maybe agree on some covers or get them to send you a demo of their material. At the very least, know what kind of music they play even if you don't have any songs to work on. If you're auditioning for a Rock band, practice playing Rock, not an up-tempo Samba! Don't forget to stay positive. If you go in thinking you're going to fail then you probably will. This alone should give you enough confidence in yourself.

Also, if you're having problems remembering songs, take some blank pieces of paper/staff paper, a pencil and an eraser to auditions.

Then, as they teach you the song, you write out how many bars per section i.e INTRO = 8 bars, VERSE = 16 bars, CHORUS = 16 bars etc etc.

Then if your memory fails you, you have the song structure written out in front of you! Not only should this help you keep your cool if you forget the structure but it's also pretty impressive to potential "employers" as you have a system that enables you to nail a song pretty quickly.

From there on, it's about doing the best you can do and not worrying. If you don't make the audition, accept it, learn from it and move on! No point dwelling on the auditions you didn't get when you could be out there right now applying for more.

Everyone here has given you good advise but since it has happened to you more than once I am thinking you just are plain old nervous. I went through the same thing several times. The more you audition for bands and the more bands you play in it will go away. When your a drummer and you get nervous your body just tenses up and you suck. Trust me I know. I had to play bass day a few years ago in NY and Jo Jo Meyer was up after me. Are you kidding me, yea I was a bit nervous. Then when I thought I had it all under control and playing huge venues on tour I was suddenly on national Tv all the time with a camera in my face. That freaked me out too, I was nervous all over again. When I did drum clinics was the worst ever!!! Roy Burns got me over that fast. He told me that all the audience were drummers and who cared they were never gonna hire me anyway. LOL It cured me. So the moral of the story is the more you do certain things the less nervous you will be. My advise is to keep at it man. Best of Luck

Joe

Sometimes bands like people to be unprepared so they can see more of what you're made of and what ideas you can bring to the table. They'll get to see more of who you are that way and it's more of a challenge than just copying something you've previously heard on tape.
With regard to auditioning my advice would be to just try to relax and enjoy it! Try putting yourself in the mindset of not a tense audition but just having a jam with some friends. Also if it doesn't work out just tell yourself it wasn't meant to be and move on because there's better things coming around the corner.....

Back