Need some help with cases...how to remove paint from a plastic hardshell case

caddywumpus

Archnemesis of Larryace
Basically, how do you remove paint from a plastic hardcase like an SKB or XL case?

I checked out and bought a used kit for a student, and it came with some hardcases. My student's parents didn't see the need to get the cases, so I'm left with them and want to sell them. The problem is, I can't get the spray paint from the previous owner off of them.

I've tried nail polish remover (which I was assured would work), and paint thinner/remover. Doesn't even fade the logo one bit. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Methylated spirits is worth a shot, Caddy. Although I'm surprised to hear that paint thinner didn't work.

Yeah, right? After the nail polish remover didn't work, I thought, "Oh, I've got this! Here...paint thinner! Ta-da!" Then, I was amazed when the paint didn't budge (even after 5-6 applications)...

That's a good one.

I bought a used XL case, and it had Tony Thompson clearly spray painted on it.

It did fade after a few years with nothing but being used on numerous gigs. But given Tony's passing, I kind of wish it hadn't.

Just paint over it with black, or whatever colour you're trying to end up with.
Another vote for "just paint over it". But, if ya gotta remove paint ...

Attachments

• MP80816709_bg.jpg
    MP80816709_bg.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 14,823
I don't know if these will work but...

Goof Off
Magic Eraser?

Nail polish remover and paint thinner contain acetone. Acetone is not a do all paint remover. Some paints do not react to acetone at all. If you don't know the type of paint used and acetone didn't work, try mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. The Jasco might work just fine, but make sure and read the label to make sure make sure it wont eat the plastic.

Go to your local big box hardware store and look at all the different paint removers. One of them should get the label off. Personally, I like the paint over it option.

I'm into easy and fast - but with quality results. I'd go with the paint over.
Just match up the finish (gloss vs flat) and spray away. I'm looking around for a spare snare hardcase, and thanks to this post - existing paint won't discourage me.

Heck, if the original paint won't come off, chances are the paint-over will be turn out nice and last forever. Off to CL.

Thread resurrected by a spammer! Minus ten Internets to everyone.

Wow, didn't notice the original post date. Minus ten Internets for sure! I clicked on the link and it is for a paint company. Wonder why he didn't suggest painting it?

Back