Got my very own set up microphones. What else do I need?

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
My band are currently recording our album, and we're using our own equipment. I've got a set of Audix Fusion 6 mics and a D6 kick mic, and we are using a ProFire Mixing Desk to record.

However, the mixing desk is "band property" and not really for my personal use.

What is a good, reasonably priced sound unit (mixing desk, pa, 2 track etc.) that I can use for personal practising and recording myself on the drums? I haven't had my own set of mics before, and don't know really what other equipment is involved.

When drummers that use mics to practice listen to themselves through the mics, what sort of device is used? Is it generally a miniature mixing desk?

I'm not very clued in on the electronic-sound side of drumming, so any advice would be great, thanks.

If the goal is to record, you're going to need software to do it. The device that allows your mics to talk to your computer is called an interface, which uses analog to digital converters. Most interfaces these days come with complimentary software like cubase, cakewalk, protools etc. You're going to want to get an interface with enough xlr inputs to accomodate all of your microphones (also one that is phantom powered if your condenser mics require, and if memory serves me, that audix set does require it). You're also going to need either studio monitors or headphones, unless you're going to bounce down each time you record and then just use your computer speakers.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/computers-peripherals/audio-interfaces

My band are currently recording our album, and we're using our own equipment. I've got a set of Audix Fusion 6 mics and a D6 kick mic, and we are using a ProFire Mixing Desk to record.

However, the mixing desk is "band property" and not really for my personal use.

What is a good, reasonably priced sound unit (mixing desk, pa, 2 track etc.) that I can use for personal practising and recording myself on the drums? I haven't had my own set of mics before, and don't know really what other equipment is involved.

When drummers that use mics to practice listen to themselves through the mics, what sort of device is used? Is it generally a miniature mixing desk?

I'm not very clued in on the electronic-sound side of drumming, so any advice would be great, thanks.

I totally agree with what diosdude said! One problem you may hit with that is finding an interface that has enough spots for all of your mic chords.

The best 'advice' I can give is my setup (which probably isn't all that impressive, but it works for just small personal projects) I bought a Behringer Mixer (just search the name at Musicians Friend) for not too much. I run all of my mics into it and EQ them there (so that I don't have 10 different drum tracks on my computer) Then you only need 1/2 inputs on your interface. The downside is you can't really add effects to individual aspects (like digitally fading out your cymbals)

Dios was right on with saying that you'll need some studio headphones (I just use noise cancelling in-ears) and software. The headphones you can usually run right out of your interface, and most interfaces come with software, but if not you can pick up a low end Cakewalk for under $100.

If you need product links I'd be more than happy to send you what I've got, but a lot of it is gonna be based on what features you want, and how professional you want your recording quality to be!

Back