Jim Black on Ari Hoenig

Their thing is more about control really and I don't necessarily think control is the most important issue in music, at least for my taste.

Have to step up and disagree with that one about as much as I can disagree with anything. What I might say is that control is not necessarily a young man's game, but when you're young is certainly a great time to gain control. Without sounding like Im going off the deep end, What about Tony Williams? Buddy Rich? My point is that if you can get control when you are young, you will have that gift/talent until you are a senior citizen...

By control I mean a certain kind of flawless execution which you only will get when you know EXACTLY what you're going to play beforehand.
I'd rather hear somebody go for it and fail and I'm especially interested in what happens after the "failing" part.
Young Tony did it a lot, older Tony not quite as much, but still.
I'd rather hear an emotional involvement than a presentation of things practiced.
Of course you need a highly developed control for that as well, but you shouldn't shy away from things you can't control to the Nth degree.

Hey, Todd
Berlin in November is most likely kind of cold, around 46 Degree Fahrenheit. But Berlin is definitely worth a trip.
I will be out of town after the 23rd for a little tour with Tony Malaby in Switzerland (You can't make any money in Berlin playing gigs), but I could set you up to meet some of my favorite Berlin musicians when you're planning to come.
I'll send you an email.

Last edited:
By control I mean a certain kind of flawless execution which you only will get when you know EXACTLY what you're going to play beforehand.
I'd rather hear somebody go for it and fail and I'm especially interested in what happens after the "failing" part.
Young Tony did it a lot, older Tony not quite as much, but still.
I'd rather hear an emotional involvement than a presentation of things practiced.
Of course you need a highly developed control for that as well, but you shouldn't shy away from things you can't control to the Nth degree.

For me, the place for that kind of infallibility is in commercial work; I don't think it makes the best art. I need there to be some kind of edge; I can't get interested if I feel like I'm just hearing somebody amazing run down a technology he's perfected.

Hey, Todd
Berlin in November is most likely kind of cold, around 46 Degree Fahrenheit. But Berlin is definitely worth a trip.
I will be out of town after the 23rd for a little tour with Tony Malaby in Switzerland (You can't make any money in Berlin playing gigs), but I could set you up to meet some of my favorite Berlin musicians when you're planning to come.
I'll send you an email.

A little nicer than Portland, in other words-- thanks, man, that would be great! Let's be in touch. And nice gig there with Malaby-- that'll be fun.

The magic of a Google search. I'm not online much because the whole world is barely wired up when traveling, but I do like a good read. This actually is Jim Black, hello :) I know this thread hasn't been touched for a year but I thought I just give a shout out to say thanks for even discussing my existence as well as this discussion - and if there are any questions for me about anything I did or said or whatever, please fire away....it's all good. Thanks! -j
www.jimblack.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Black/65434228136
https://www.facebook.com/alasnoaxis

Last edited:
Back