DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

Default Drum rug recommendations

Time for a new rug for the new kit I'm putting together. I've been using one of those rubber-backed industrial mats from Home Depot. It works alright, but my bass drum spurs tore through it relatively quickly, and I had to reinforce it with duct tape. It's also starting to tear in other places.

So I'm looking for something durable, relatively light in weight, black, and something that tape will stick to (to mark positions). Let me know what you got, and any pros and cons. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Drum rug recommendations

Beato makes a good one
Old 08-21-2018, 05:25 PM

WalMart has perfect sized cheap black ones.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebonn View Post
WalMart has perfect sized cheap black ones.
Been using mine for over five yeasrs with no issues. Rolls or folds, perfect for velcro to stick to.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:04 PM

I found an 8x10 one that walmart sells on jet.com. Its great.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:52 AM

If bass drum slippage is an issue for you even on carpet, make sure you get carpet with "loops" and not the straight kind. Your bass drum spurs will snag on it better.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBitePrettyHard View Post
If bass drum slippage is an issue for you even on carpet, make sure you get carpet with "loops" and not the straight kind. Your bass drum spurs will snag on it better.
Slippage isn't an issue on carpet if I have my spurs out. Problem is, my spurs rip through most carpets. Mapex spurs are sharp. That's why I was looking for something really durable. I just bought another industrial mat from Home Depot. I'll likely have to replace it in under a year, but whatever.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Gold Member

Black Widow Drum Web. Light weight, compact, inexpensive and very effective.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:56 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
Slippage isn't an issue on carpet if I have my spurs out. Problem is, my spurs rip through most carpets. Mapex spurs are sharp. That's why I was looking for something really durable. I just bought another industrial mat from Home Depot. I'll likely have to replace it in under a year, but whatever.
If you use a pedal with a base plate, adhere a large patch of velcro to it. That takes most of the pressure off the spurs, will stabilise your bass drum setup, & remove most of your rug wear.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If you use a pedal with a base plate, adhere a large patch of velcro to it. That takes most of the pressure off the spurs, will stabilise your bass drum setup, & remove most of your rug wear.
That's likely what I'll have to do.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

As others have mentioned here, I've found that the rugs at Walmart and Home Depot do the same job as designated "drum rugs" from known drum companies. Save your money and get whatever has a friendly price tag attached to it.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
As others have mentioned here, I've found that the rugs at Walmart and Home Depot do the same job as designated "drum rugs" from known drum companies. Save your money and get whatever has a friendly price tag attached to it.
I just ended up getting a rubber-backed industrial mat from Home Depot. I was just putting the feelers out to see if there was something better out there that was under my radar.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:11 PM

Oh I see. I tried Walmart for the rug that you have all found but shipping to Hawaii doubles the price. I will go to an actual Walmart to see what they have.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

This is the one I've used for a few years for a 4 pc.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...0500/202072107
Old 11-27-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I know this is a personal preference thing and that function sometimes has to win out, but I seriously dislike Velcro on the bottom of a kick pedal. I used a DW 3000 for a bit (poor man's 5000 IMO, especially after I swapped the foot-board hinge with a 5000 series hinge, but I digress) and the Velcro was about the only thing I didn't like about that pedal.

Getting back to the subject, I've got a Protection Racket drum rug, and that has served me quite well for the roughly 10 years or so that I've had it, although to be fair, it doesn't get heavy use.

One of the cool things is that you don't need to have your spur spikes extended - the rug grabs the rubber on your hardware feet (spurs on the kick, and feet on the HH stand) and they really don't move anywhere - at least they never did for me.

The only thing that was a bit of a detractor is that when it's initially unrolled, it doesn't want to lay flat right away, but the rug relaxes and flattens some as time goes on.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM

Ahead do one with a "hinged" section which means it rolls up into half it's own length - cool idea - probably expensive.
I have had the same protection racket one for about 12 years now. Not cheap, but after an estimated 800+ gigs it's still in good shape.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Black Widow Drum Web. Light weight, compact, inexpensive and very effective.
I also have a black widow. Folds up into a 12X12 flat envelope that I leave in the bottom of my hardware bag for when I arrive somewhere without a rug.

Suprisingly, the throne and my pedals sit on it, but not the bass drum spurs, but I've never had anything shift at all during a show from playing. I always thought I need the bass drum totally on the rug, but I really don't. And my pedals don't have velcro on the bottoms either. Nothing ever moves on me.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:34 PM

Check out the Drum Fire Mat from On Stage Stands. It's basically like a Yoga Mat that unfolds and lays flat, yet rolls up small and compact into an included bag. Being rubberized like a yoga mat means it won't slip, nor will anything that is on it. They make two sizes: 4' x 4' and 4' x 6'.

If you are using a rug, you really shouldn't have you bass drum creeping unless you are absolutely pounding it. The rubber on your spurs should hold just fine. Retract your spurs so that only the rubber is making contact. This would be especially important if you try the aforementioned Drum Mat because:

A) It would rip right through and
B) It wouldn't even be necessary.

If your bass drum is sliding so much that your spurs are ripping through the carpet, then the problem lies elsewhere, mainly the bottom of your pedal. As alternative to Velcro, get some Rubbermaid shelf liner and add a few layers of that under your pedal and if necessary under your (retracted) spurs. Should hold like a champ, even with Bruce Lee type kicks.