DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-30-2018, 04:30 PM
Gold Member

Default Tama Classic Hardware pack review

I picked up the Tama Classic Hardware pack last Wednesday and it was perfect timing as I had two gigs this past weekend and thought I would put this hardware pack to work immediately.
The pack comes in a nice bag made from a heavyweight cordura type material, with a really nice shoulder strap . The pack contains two straight flat base cymbal stands, Flat base hihat stand and tripod base snare stand. I was previously using the DW Ultralight hardware pack and recently sold it because it was fine but I found features of the Tama better suited for my purposes.
I also picked up the flat base Tama Single tom stand and another Tama straight flat base stand to complete my gigging hardware kit. I will review each below :

Hihat stand - flat base, very smooth and NO wobble when playing eighths with the foot like the DW Ultralight did. The hhat was a joy to play, very smooth, has some adjustments and I love the way the hihat folds up compactly and it has two posts to keep the wire base locked in. It has some nice spurs and it doesn't travel at all when played . I would have to pull the DW Ultralight back on occasion.

Snare stand - The Tama is very stable, the tripod is an excellent idea, as it reduces the foot print and still remains compact and stable. The snare basket doesn't move at all. The DW snare stand would frequently slip when playing cross stick patterns. The set up of the snare stand was very easy and no learning curve required. There is a wing nut to adjust the angle and and another to adjust the third arm for different size snare drums. The ends of the snare arms are curved to minimize the amount of snare stand touching the shell and potentially robbing the snare resonance.
I really like this a lot.

Cymbal stands - these are flat baes and slightly heavier than the DW Ultralight. The tilter on the Tama is toothed which I like because there is no slippage when playing cymbals on the stand.
I had one of the DW Ultralights slip on me once ( I did keep a couple of the DW Ultralight cymbal stands ). The Tama is more stable IMHO than the DW Ultralight as the footprint is slightly larger than the DW. I would say it is a wash between the Tama and the DW Ultralight straight stands.

Tom stand - this is a flat base taller snare stand. same feathers as the standard snare stand. It works great on toms. I used this to mount a mounted tom with an 18" bass drum kit Friday night and a 24" bass drum kit Saturday night. The basket design doesn't choke the tom like standard snare stands do. I also used it with a Gauger Flexframe on one tom and with out on another tom and both toms were plenty resonant.

I am really impressed with the kit and the tom stand and plan to use these for the majority of my gigs. If you aren't completely sold on the DW Ultralight hardware pack- maybe give the Tama a try.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Tama Classic Hardware pack review

Very helpful, thanks!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Super, thanks !!!

Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

When Peter Erskine was endorsing DW, he claimed the low-base cymbal stands allowed the cymbal to resonate more freely (I'm paraphrasing until I find the video if DW hasn't taken it down).

Did you find this to be true? Or did your pies sound the same as they always have?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

I was looking for a light weight tom stand. I have been using an old very heavy PDP snare stand for my tom.

I just now purchased the Tama tom stand based on your review. I currently use the DW lightweight flat based cymbal and snare stands.

Thanks for your review !!!!

Old 07-30-2018, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
When Peter Erskine was endorsing DW, he claimed the low-base cymbal stands allowed the cymbal to resonate more freely (I'm paraphrasing until I find the video if DW hasn't taken it down).

Did you find this to be true? Or did your pies sound the same as they always have?
I just started using DW flat base cymbal stands. Getting more cymbal resonance might be true in a recording studio or jazz band.
But in a live "electric guitar" band setting I hear no difference.
Maybe I should try a cymbal stand comparison at home.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post

He did switch to Tama now and helped to develop their series. I have seen some video with him in which he talks about it
Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

I just got my new Tama tom stand. Just like the flat based snare stand but just taller. It works great. It has a little curve on the end of the arms.
Consequently, I don't have to tighten the arms too tight around the tom. So it does not choke the tom. I tested the tom in and out of the stand.

Thanks RickP.