DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM

Default Mountable tambourine

Hi, im looking for a mountable tambourine with a quick release. I've found a pearl ptm10sh, but is this the only one out there? Plenty other mountable tambourines, but I'd rather not need to mess about with the mount in between songs etc! Any ideas?
Old 07-22-2018, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Mountable tambourine

Just put a tambourine on top of the hi hat.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:42 PM
Gold Member

Why do you want to remove it between songs? Most tamborines are uneffected by sympethetic vibrations.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

I mount an LP off a dogbone on a cymbal stand. As long as nothing is directly above it you can just unscrew a "wing nut" and few turns and lift it off if necessary...
Old 07-22-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
Why do you want to remove it between songs? Most tamborines are uneffected by sympethetic vibrations.
I have a song I'm going to be playing tambourine only. So would rather not unscrew, but if it's quick and easy maybe it's not an issue. I've never used one.

Also have a song or two that it might sound good sitting on the hi hat
Old 07-22-2018, 05:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I want to say that drumset mountable tambourines...they weren't designed for quick release. I use a DST...drum set tambourine. I keep it between my hi hat and my hi tom, a little above the snare. It's out of the way enough where I never hit it accidentally, but it's conveniently right there when I need it. I'm sure you can come up with a DIY solution to get it off your kit quickly.

If not, I can figure something out....for a re-duced price....Just for you man :)

The lighter the tambourine on your hi hat, the better. Sometimes the weight of the tambourine can make the hi hat feel different.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Pearl tambourine that I bought with a mount that attaches to the high hat stand, which I have beneath and to the left of the bottom hat.

When I need some tambourine awesomeness I hit it with a stick. Many classic rock songs have a tambourine accent....I wouldn't be without it.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davor View Post
I have a song I'm going to be playing tambourine only. So would rather not unscrew, but if it's quick and easy maybe it's not an issue. I've never used one.

Also have a song or two that it might sound good sitting on the hi hat
I guess it depends on how you want to use it. I have a RhythmTech DST that is great to mount wherever you think you want to hit it from. However that is just really staccato hits.

If you are going to use it in a more classical context with shaking and rolling it just buy a regular one and play with your hands.

There are lots of hi hat jingly options as well for that application.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davor View Post
Hi, im looking for a mountable tambourine with a quick release. I've found a pearl ptm10sh, but is this the only one out there? Plenty other mountable tambourines, but I'd rather not need to mess about with the mount in between songs etc! Any ideas?
For a stick-hit tambourine, I initially bought Rhythm Tech's quick-release Hat Trick G2 with single-row nickel/steel:

http://www.rhythmtech.com/products/mp/RT7420.html

The release is fast and smooth, but, the jingles are very quiet without miking, even in small pubs.

So if acoustic volume is a concern, I'd recommend visiting a local music shop or two and testing more full-size, double-row, nickel/steel mountable models to best match your desired tone, sustain, volume and weight. Nickel/steel jingles are typically brighter (more sonic cut) than brass.

All the single-row center-mounted tambos I tested (including the LP Click Mute and LP Jam Tamb) were too quiet for most of my needs so I expanded testing to larger models with double-rows below the strike edge.

With that in mind, some cost-effective models to consider might include:

LP Cyclops mountable
Meinl handheld w/ add-on holder
Meinl mountable
Pearl Quick Draw (same model you noted)
Rhythm Tech DST

I didn't find the Pearl Quick Draw or Meinl equivalent that much faster to remove than the standard wing-nut-mounted models so I abandoned the quick-release requirement. I did prefer Meinl's overall sound and quality, but the handheld seemed to loosen in the holder with repetitive patterns (whereas the Pearl didn't) and the longer arm on the mountable positioned the strike edge too far over the hi-hat for my preference.

YMMV.

Last edited by fl.tom; 07-24-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

I have the Pearl quick release tambourine and I think it's great and works as advertised. Is there a reason you don't want that one?
Old 07-24-2018, 12:48 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
If you are going to use it in a more classical context with shaking and rolling it just buy a regular one and play with your hands.
I play about 97% staccato hits when I do use it. I do roll on it very occasionally. I do it on "Amy", right before each verse. I roll the tamb on "Chain of Fools" too, after the guitar solo going into the bridge. Fits perfect, even though it's not on the record. It's a pretty cool effect.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

Ive got first hand experience of a Meinl model and I recommend against getting one of those.
From the first time I used it several of the the thin vertical metal pins vibrated free causing the jingles to fall out. After effecting a solution with gaffa tape (making my brand new shiny purchase look like it had spent 20 years in and out of a youth club cupboard) , I was glad when we dropped the song that needed tambourine from the set and its since sat untouched
Old 07-25-2018, 09:27 PM

Im using two different models of the Meinl Recording Combo Tambourine since more than 5 years and never had any problems at all.

https://meinlpercussion.com/products...S/?desktop=216

And I have the two-row version of this Meinl / Headliner on my hi-hat, when playing with an acoustic band:

https://meinlpercussion.com/products...ingle-headline

For some songs I have the feeling that I would be better off with the one-row version.

Kind regards,
Topper-Hardy
Old 07-25-2018, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't really been digging what I've heard from rod mounted tambourines.

I put all sorts of things on top of my hats, but for a regular tambourine I just use the Rhythm Tech Pro. The rubber around the edge actually keeps it from sliding around.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
I have the Pearl quick release tambourine and I think it's great and works as advertised. Is there a reason you don't want that one?
the cost of these is quite high for something I may only use on 2-3 songs..
Looks like buying something a bit cheaper and resting it on the hats may be a better option
Old 07-26-2018, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

A singer showed up with a strange item. She said that it was from Africa and that she bought it in church. It was a stick shaped like the letter Y, a forked stick, like the stick used to make a slingshot. A couple wires were stretched between the forks, and metal bottle caps hammered flat with a hole in the middle were on the wires. She shakes that thing and it sounds like a tambourine.

Maybe attach the thing to a high hat stand with a rubber band. Maybe all you need is a piece of wire and a few flattened bottle caps.