Clear on Batter side and Coated on Reso side?

GNRFAN

Is the combination of a clear head on the batter side and coated on the resonant side a wise idea on the toms? Do many people do this, or just stick to either all coated on each or all clear?

Thanks
GNRFAN

Probably not the best idea. All coated heads have the actual coating on the head making them ideal for a batter side. Clear heads are usually more brighter sounding then coated's so if you put a bright sound on top of a dark sound it would contrast badly. Use either all clear, all coated, or coated on clear.

I've used Evans Strata 1000 under an EC2 clear, and I think it sounded great. The increased midrange tone from the Strata filled out the sound of the EC2 and gave an overall sound quite different from a clear bottom head.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about coated or clear on top or bottom. Just understand what qualities each kind of head brings to the party and decide which sounds you want.

This is an old studio trick I learned a long time ago that can tame the resonance of you floor toms. Works quite well.

It's a totally legitimate application. Didn't Bonham use coated ambassadors as resos? I'm pretty sure he used coated emporers as batters.

I haven't heard this combo on my drums for a while, I'll have to try it. Thanks for the idea.

It's a totally legitimate application. Didn't Bonham use coated ambassadors as resos? I'm pretty sure he used coated emporers as batters.

I haven't heard this combo on my drums for a while, I'll have to try it. Thanks for the idea.

In my experience, it doesn't matter if your reso head is coated or not as long as its a lighter weight than the batter. Otherwise your tom will deaden your sound in a bad way. In Bonham's case, it was ok because ambassadors are lighter than emperors. I wouldn't, however, use a Clear A batter with coated A reso. Because the coating makes it a heavier weight.

Evans J1 head is an etched head. It behaves the same as a coated head, but instead of added a coating, they etch the surface to make it thinner instead of thicker. I'd give that a try for a reso...

I'm using 1 ply 10 mil coated heads on both sides of my toms and bass drum now. I like the tone and sustain of these drums a lot.

Dennis

I wouldn't think that a clear over a coated would pose any problems. What you'll get is the brighter stick attack from the batter and a warmer, more rounded tone from the coated reso. Actually, sounds like an interesting idea to me.

I'm using 1 ply 10 mil coated heads on both sides of my toms and bass drum now. I like the tone and sustain of these drums a lot.

Dennis

I use GPlus resos ( 12 mil) w/G2 batters on my Sonors.....love the sound, very rich and boomy.

F

Yeah, I use the G-plus as reso's too and love the sound as well. The only difference is that I am using clear G1's as batters. Surprised that more drummers haven't caught on to the fact that the 12mil resonates MORE than its's thinner more commonly used cousins,

The good thing about drumming is being totally free, no square rules or standards to be followed. I use Evans G1 Clear on the batter side and Coated on the resonant side, Coated on both sides for the floor tom. It works for me!

I just changed out my stock clear Pinstripes to coated Emperors on my new Yamaha, and really like them, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with the resonant side.

As of now I'm using the clear Diplomats the set came with, but I'm having a hard time deciding on Ambassadors or Emperors, because I know I want slightly less brightness. Now I guess I have to add coated or clear to my set of options!

stillgroovin said:
This is an old studio trick I learned a long time ago that can tame the resonance of you floor toms. Works quite well.

... possibly coated on my 14" and 16" floor toms (or maybe just the 16") and clear on my 10" and 12" rack toms? That could work nicely.

I was just watching Iron Maiden's Flight 666 concert and realized that McBrain uses Ebony heads as resonant tom heads. According to Wikipedia they're Ebony Ambassadors. Given the sound I'm looking for, theoretically this seems to make a lot of sense. Plus I don't know of anyone out there who is complaining about Iron Maiden's drum department.

Anyone have any first-hand experience with this? Regardless, I think I'll be picking up a set to try them out. They should find a home somewhere on at least one of the kits I play.

In my experience, it doesn't matter if your reso head is coated or not as long as its a lighter weight than the batter. Otherwise your tom will deaden your sound in a bad way. In Bonham's case, it was ok because ambassadors are lighter than emperors. I wouldn't, however, use a Clear A batter with coated A reso. Because the coating makes it a heavier weight.

Evans J1 head is an etched head. It behaves the same as a coated head, but instead of added a coating, they etch the surface to make it thinner instead of thicker. I'd give that a try for a reso...

Peart used to use hydraulics for reso heads. There is no reason you cant use a heavier head on the bottom. A 2 ply reso would be an excellent way to tame resonance while maintaining a natural stick attack I would think.

Is the combination of a clear head on the batter side and coated on the resonant side a wise idea on the toms? Do many people do this, or just stick to either all coated on each or all clear?

I think it would matter more what thicknesses the batter and resonant heads were. If I were trying this combo, I'd probably look at Clear G2's or Clear Super 2's or Clear Emperors over the coated equivalent or thinner.

FWIW: I've seen a growing number posts where players talk about how they like the sustain they are getting with thicker (2-ply specifically) resonant heads as opposed to the traditional setup of having a thinner or at most equal thickness resonant head with an equal or thicker batter. I haven't tried this but my guess is that this combo does give a great deal of sustain but with less overall highs in the general character of the tom sound (we are talking toms right?).
This may work for some and I may just give it a go one day to see how it flies. However, in general I don't want to lose any of the higher frequency of my tom sound or any other drum for that matter so I'll probably stick with a 1-ply solution whether coated or clear for now.

Jim

I think it would matter more what thicknesses the batter and resonant heads were. If I were trying this combo, I'd probably look at Clear G2's or Clear Super 2's or Clear Emperors over the coated equivalent or thinner.

FWIW: I've seen a growing number posts where players talk about how they like the sustain they are getting with thicker (2-ply specifically) resonant heads as opposed to the traditional setup of having a thinner or at most equal thickness resonant head with an equal or thicker batter. I haven't tried this but my guess is that this combo does give a great deal of sustain but with less overall highs in the general character of the tom sound (we are talking toms right?).
This may work for some and I may just give it a go one day to see how it flies. However, in general I don't want to lose any of the higher frequency of my tom sound or any other drum for that matter so I'll probably stick with a 1-ply solution whether coated or clear for now.

Jim

The guys recommending heavier heads for more sustain are usually referring to thicker 1 ply heads. A 2 ply typically sustains less despite of the greater mass bedcause the 2 plies are floating

I wouldn't think that a clear over a coated would pose any problems. What you'll get is the brighter stick attack from the batter and a warmer, more rounded tone from the coated reso. Actually, sounds like an interesting idea to me.

This was said a while back and just revisiting the idea... I'll be trying this tomorrow as this idea has been haunting me for a while... Stand by for reviews...

i'm doing this with my tama fibrestars - i have RMV Duo coated on the reso side, and RMV deep-saturns (Which are clear) on the batter side. the end result is this big fat warm 1970's tom sound, its quite amazing actually! i've tuned the floor tom so low (about finger tight) and it sounds amazing.

no muffling needed, the 2ply coated gives it the right amount of control. i really like it.

(by the way, i've got RMV's on it as it's my practice/throw around kit, and they're cheaper drum heads over here in australia. still sound great though!)

I think in this world of political correctness and the elimination of dodgeball,because some kids just aren't athletic, that we drummers in good faith should use single ply clear heads on the batters and resos so that no drummer will have an unfair advantage over the others when it comes to sound..

Just my Monday morning humor. Relax.

Gasp!

GRUNTERSDAD.

How could you say such a thing.

As a Coatishian Headite I am speechless.

I live in Southern California so I know there is a lawyer somewhere (within 100 yards) who will embrace a class action suit against all who say we must use clear heads.

I'm painting up some signs and picketing Remo headquarters because it's their fault..... Or something.

So cruel this world (sniff)

;)

Back