DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-23-2006, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

just saw you again with PT in Milan some days ago, still speechless.....great new material, great band, greatest drummer around. I really didn't expect such a level of playing, much better than the In Absentia first tour (which was already mind-blowing), you really seemed a tighter band. And you rocked ! You are really one of the best, if not the best, period.

Actually I'm not a latecomer fan, I'm following you for many years now, since the Stewart/Gaskin (really liked the super intro in "8 Mile High"....), Dizrhythmia and Mick Karn albums, and I bought your CD immediately after the release. Being Italian, I also know your work for many artists over here, notably Claudio Baglioni. You were the reason to watch ALL the episodes of the "Anima Mia" TV Show, ah aha !

I'm actually a big Bruford fan and I read several interviews (not one, several...) in which he pretty much stated "want to learn drumming ? study Gavin Harrison"

Keep up ! Ciao, Andrea

Last edited by Tolo; 09-24-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:27 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks Andrea,
Dizrhythmia was certainly a long time ago. I don't remember "8 Mile High" but I do remember "New Jerusalem" - that was a fun session.
Actually I was just in Rome recording a new double CD for Claudio.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 PM

Hi Gavin,
I'm a brand new member of this Forum and I'm here thanks to the link on your website.
I saw you in Milan last week and your drumming always keep me breathless (the first time was on the In Absentia Tour).

Some months ago, I bought your "Rhythmic Visions" dvd through Burningshed.com and now my collection includes "Rhythmic Horizons"... Well, what can I say? Now I've got a lot to study and practice!!!

Thank you Gavin!

Stefano

PS: the displacement concept is amazing!

Last edited by stefano.pan; 09-25-2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 AM

Gavin,
I was curious as to your creative approach towards the 9/8 drum pattern in "The Start of Something Beautiful." Which came first the drumbeat or the bassline?

MM
Old 09-26-2006, 01:34 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Stefano - thanks for the comments.

Hi Mike,
that song actually started with the drum pattern. One day I was listening to a Sting song called "Big Lie" and I really didn't like the programmed drum pattern...in fact I was disappointed that Vinnie Colaiuta (who played on most of the other songs) hadn't played on that 9/8 song. He's always so good at that kind of thing. Anyway I played along with it to see if I could find a nice groove. A few months later I stumbled across my 9/8 rhythm again and started to work on it. I also wanted a contrasting groove that was much more nervous - so I came up with the 5/8 part. In fact I called it "9 to 5". Steve Wilson came round and I suggested the type of bass line that would follow the drums. We went through the sections and he played the bass along with my drums.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 09-26-2006, 05:46 PM

Gavin:

I'm an old dude and drumming has always been my passion. Over the years I've always played small time and never really tried to kick it up a notch so to speak. One day a few months back Iwoke up one morning and decided to try to kick it up a notch. Discovered the Drummerworld web site
discovered you and of course the other great drummers who have made contributions to this site and I thank you all for this. My notch is kicking up and as for you, I haven't heard a drummer as sweet since Prairie Prince or Billy Cobham. Thanks for the music I'll be looking for your works. Musical drummers are a rear find these days.

thombo
Old 09-27-2006, 03:22 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks Thombo,
glad to hear that your notch is kicking up...I never stop working on mine.

"Musical drummers are a rear find these days"

Do you mean "rare" ?...I hope so.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 09-27-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison
Thanks Thombo,
glad to hear that your notch is kicking up...I never stop working on mine.

"Musical drummers are a rear find these days"

Do you mean "rare" ?...I hope so.

Cheers
Gavin
Gavin:

thanks for your reply..YES I mean RARE!

RGDS

Thombo
Old 09-27-2006, 04:22 PM

Gavin,
I've been playing "Futile" with my band lately and i was wondering about the truncated intro part around 0:21 to 0:30 sec. Whose idea was that and where on gods green earth did it come from? Thanks.

MM
Old 09-27-2006, 05:37 PM

Hi Gavin,

I saw your show last night in Essen, it was amazing!!! The sound was great, the new songs awesome! You really made my day ;-)
Although Im a guitarist Im very interested in your drumplay, I love it! Especially all these displacement things are fascinating... (I bought the "Arriving somewhere... DVD yesterday, your "solo" in Hatesong is a quite good example...)
I read here before, you dont see yourself as a double-bass player... This killer part during the "epic" 17 minute long song impressed me much! It was perfect, it came totally surprising and unexpected.

Thanks for that great evening! Good luck with recording the new album. I can hardly wait to hear it and see you again on your next tour!

Cheers,
MadGuitar
Old 09-27-2006, 06:14 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mike,
the mad rhythmic part you're talking about was of my design....and I don;'t think it came from this earth !!!

Hi Mad Guitar,
glad you enjoyed the show. I actually had the worst night so far because of the on stage sound and the fact that I felt distracted by all the photographers being so close. I still think I suck on double bass....apart from that it was great!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 09-27-2006, 07:36 PM

Hi Gavin,
is there any scheduled clinic with you here in Italy?
I heard about that from Sergio (of "Notak"... I think you know him).

Cheers,
Stefano
Old 09-28-2006, 12:06 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Stefano,
yes I'm hoping to do a series of clinics in Italy probably at the start of next year (Jan/Feb 2007).
Sergio is a great guy - he arranged my last Italian clinic tour in 2003.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-28-2006, 06:02 AM

Hey Gavin,
I have a strange and piculiar question for you, considering this is drum forum. My band and I have a show in a couple of weeks and we wanted to introduce "Futile" into the set. Me being a perfectionist, i wont settle for doing anyone elses music half-assed (especially PT's). I have every piece of the puzzle except for the chord progression John Wesley plays during the verse section. If John or Steven are on any forums, please point me in the right direction. But i also understand that you guys are crazy busy. I really cant imagine how you find the time to answer all of our questions, to be honest with you. So If you could help me out in any way shape or form, that would great. Thanks.

MM

p.s. I laughed for a good solid minute after i read your post on the Mad Rhythm from beyond! It's actually my favorite part to play in that song. Just feels right! :-)
Old 09-28-2006, 07:49 AM

Wow, I'll be there!
Thanks for the answer, Gavin.

Cheers
Stefano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison
Hi Stefano,
yes I'm hoping to do a series of clinics in Italy probably at the start of next year (Jan/Feb 2007).
Sergio is a great guy - he arranged my last Italian clinic tour in 2003.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-28-2006, 02:31 PM

Hi, Gavin

My Name is Jop.. yesterday I went to one of the concerts of Porcupine tree....
This is really my favorite band....
My question is.....
Do you really play 17/16 in Hallow or ist it 5/8 5/8 7/8.....
and if its tru... how can I easly count that!!!!!

Damn He is A Great creative Drummer!!!!!

excuse my for my English... :)
Old 09-29-2006, 12:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mike,
I don't know the chord progression for that part. You might find some answers at the PT forum

http://www.porcupinetreeforum.co.uk

look in the "Musicians Discussion" section. If it's not there then request it - I'm sure someone will post it up.

Hi JopDrums,
I think of the middle section of Halo as 17/8
I know it's really broken down into 5/8 5/8 7/8 but I hear it as one large measure. I go through this pattern in some detail on my new DVD Rhythmic Horizons.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-29-2006, 10:59 PM

Gavin - just a note of thanks: Your playing has been a huge source of inspiration to me of late, and always look forward to hearing/seeing more. Thank you.

I came across this Neil Peart interview, and wasn't sure if you were aware of your mention:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Lowdown/20...918424-ca.html
Quote:
Which drummers do you like to listen to nowadays?
Along with all the drummers I have always enjoyed, and still listen to and appreciate (many mentioned in the DVD and related material), I like what Gavin Harrison is doing with Porcupine Tree, and on his instructional DVDs. His playing and his thinking are interesting, musical, and inspiring.
...couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks again!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:18 AM

Gavin,

I must admit I really enjoy your drumming style, I've already picked a few tricks by listening to some PT tracks hehehe...

anyway, the main reason for having signed up to this forum is because Ive been trying to get in contact with steven wilson, however, I dont have his email, nor would I ask you to post it here as it would be a breach to his privacy.

I've been playing with a few friends on and off, mainly because we live in separate countries (I live in turkey, the other in germany, the other in the states). We used to go to the same highschool in germany. However we got the chance to get together in turkey for 3 weeks and record a cd in a friends studio.

Let me get to the point. Id be tremendously greatful if you did me a favor. Below I have a link, of one of our songs. Id like for you and/or Steven to listen to it. Tell me what you think/he thinks, Id really like to get in contact with him directly, but im afraid my options are limited. And no-one in Turkey is interested with this sort of music. I understand if you may not do this, you must be a really busy person and I would not want to be a nuisance.

Heres the link:

http://visionschool.cndgroup.biz/21grams.html

If you want to get in contact with me (to hear more songs), you may email me at eltorito@gmail.com
-Tamer
Old 09-30-2006, 02:22 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi rosmakloma,
thanks for the message, I've seen the Neil Peart interview - and it's very nice of him to mention me. I'm flattered.

Hi Tamer,
I'll pass your message on to Steve.,

Cheers
Gavin
Old 09-30-2006, 03:05 PM

Hi Gavin,

Congratulations on another impressive performance with PT last night at the Astoria gig - seemed to be a fair bit of improv from you, as I recall! The new songs are sounding great, by the way, really looking forward to the new record.

All best,
Dazza
Old 09-30-2006, 07:17 PM

Hi Gavin.

We've spoken before.

No questions from me just wanted to say from one drummer to another your a nice player! I'm particularly fond of the cymbal song and I sincerely wish I sucked just like you on double kicks!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Hi there Gavin... i have just registered to this forum so i could ask some questions to you....

First of all, i'd like to begin giving you congratulations for the fact that now Porcupine Tree has signed to Roadrunner Records. I can only hope that they start sending the PT records to Argentina so i can buy them (yes, i live here) and maybe us South americans could get a chance to see Porcupine Tree live if we're lucky.

I'd like to know from what records this awesome songs like Plasson or Swerve come from, or if they are just written for the DVD, 'cause i gotta say, each of those songs is an incredible lesson on drumming by themselves.

Good luck with the rest of the tour!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Dazza,
thanks, I enjoyed the London show too. I try to improvise whenever I can, just to stop myself from going crazy. I don't like to play the exact same fills every night.

Hi Pywacket,
thanks for the comment.

Hi moncholo
Plasson and Swerve are songs written just for my DVD's (although there's a version of Swerve on the CD which is included with my second book Rhythmic Perspectives).

Be nice to come to South America someday.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-01-2006, 01:57 AM

Hey Gavin,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I didnt find a post, but i put the call out and i'm sure someone out there knows what that progression is. Also, i'm having alot of fun playing Futile, right up my alley. Speaking of Rush, if you ever want to have some fun and challenge yourself at the same time, try playing either "Tom Sawyer" or "Yyz" off of Moving Pictures. Great fun!!!

I've noticed that on some of your songs like "Halo" and "Mother and Child" that you guys have sequenced parts that you play against live. I'm guessing that Richard triggers those live, but my question is, what do you use to sequence them during the recording sessions and how are they created? (i'm also guessing thats where they originate). Thanks.

MM
Old 10-01-2006, 02:42 AM

Mike - I could be wrong but from what I've read in this thread (I think) those songs are synced to the films projected behind the band (can't remember if M&C Divided has a film, but it does have those cool sequenced parts in the second verse especially). So the films, the sequenced parts you mention, and the click that the band plays along to are all synced and are probably coming from something like a Logic or Pro Tools file (rather than being triggered manually). Like I said - I could be wrong.

Heard London was a very good show indeed - looking forward to Boston next week. Oh yes.

Alex
Old 10-01-2006, 07:00 AM

Hey Gavin,

Did you ever attended a music institute or school? If not...
Who were some of your teachers that taught you how to play?

Chris
Old 10-01-2006, 02:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mike & Sol Good,
the sequenced stuff starts life on Logic Pro. Most of the band members use it. There's a certain amount of sequencing going on for obvious musical reasons - plus the films need to be synced properly.

Hi meandhimcallitus,
I had private lessons with an old show drummer in London called Joe Hodson. Also I got a lot of inspiration and help from a BBC drummer Paul Brodie, and then when I was 18 I studied with ex-Berklee student Dave Cutler.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-02-2006, 04:13 AM

Gavin,
Ok, so, when you play M & C D live, your playing to a click track so the video syncs up?
Are the videos SMPTE time coded? The reason i ask is because I know a great deal about Audio and Lighting, but I'm lacking on the Video aspect and i don't like being in the dark on jobs that involve video. I'm aware that your DVD has Video and Audio that are synced, (otherwise it wouldn't come out right) do you take care of that yourself, and what equipment do you use? Also if you could point me in the direction of a good Video tutorial or something of that nature, that would help immensely. Thanks.

MM
Old 10-02-2006, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

i just wanted to say i picked up in absentia recently, i'm still getting into it but i love it so far. great work
Old 10-02-2006, 02:55 PM

Hello Gavin,

I too have to say that the London Astoria PT show was truly exhilirating and inspiring.
I'm still buzzing from it now. I laughed in disbelief when you doubled choked round all your cymbals, I think it was in 'Halo' and I'm sure I saw Richard Barbieri laughing too.

I have a question for you about seating position. I've played as an open handed drummer for about 25 years and have spates of back ache due to the positioning of my cymbals on the left. I'm currently learning to play traditional cross over style with the hi hat and have repositioned my ride to the right hand side.

Do you have any advice as, like yourself I'm a large fella, about correct seating/balance?
In addition do you do much stretching of your arms/legs etc before playing a gig?

Thanks again for such an inspiring evening.

Terry.

Last edited by Terry Davey; 10-03-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:06 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mike,
yes we play to a click for Mother & Child live. No the films aren't synced via smpte.
The films are in a computer running a program called ARKAOS - which is a VJ program that responds to midi notes to start the films. There's one very long midi note that gets fired into it to start the film and (unbelievably) it stays in sync - then when the midi note finishes at the end of the song - it stops the film. A friend of ours is writing a simple video playback program for us that will sync the films to midi time code and therefore have continuos sync. This means that I can check the sync of any particular point without having to play the song from the beginning (as I do now).

Thanks Hauk,
glad you like the album!!

Hi Terry,
you're the first drummer I've ever heard of who has learnt to go back to cross handed from open. I don't know what to tell you about seat positioning. Everyone who sits on my kit thinks I sit low - and a long way back (plus they think the pedals feel too tight). I sit that way because it makes the angles of my feet on the pedals feel right to me. I always play heel up. Once you have that feeling right - it's easy to adjust everything else around you.
I don't really have a stretching routine...it kind of depends on the first 2 songs of the show. When we used to open with the track Deadwing - I felt like I had to warm up before the show because it was such a physically demanding tune. Now we start off in a slightly less strenuous way - I feel warmed up by the time we get to the 2nd song.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-03-2006, 02:33 AM

Gavin,
Oh my God, i'm hooked, i have to buy Arkaos now that i've seen the demo. Its opened up a whole new world for me!!!!! Thanks. Can you explain continous sync a bit more, i'm slightly confused.Thanks

MM
Old 10-06-2006, 07:43 AM

Hi Gavin,
this post just to ask you: "is everything ok with the US tour?"

Cheers ;-)
Stefano
Old 10-06-2006, 01:02 PM

Great PT show in Boston despite the seated venue, monitor problems for Gavin (?), and the visa delays that were mentioned. The rhythmic complexity of some of the new songs is great...if you're into Gavin's books & DVDs then seeing this band is a treat. Great rhythmic ideas, well executed, and all so musical - makes the band sound unique.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:06 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mike,
yes Arkaos is a great program, but for what we're doing isn't perfect. The only sync reference is the midi on command at the start of each film. After that it's just free wheeling.

Hi Stefano,
yes everything is fine with the US tour thanks...apart from the fact that I have really bad flu.

Hi Sol Good
thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed the show. I wasn't having any real problems with my monitoring. Things sounded very bright because of my cold.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-06-2006, 05:47 PM

Hi Gavin:

Bummer about the flu, you'll feel better soon. Wish I was in the US right now , I'd go see you.
Do you have any plans for a tour in Southeast Asia, namely, Singapore, Malaysia,or perhaps
even Thailand. I reside in this neck of the woods and would love to see you live...for sure.
Let me know if you ever do. Also I was wondering whats the time signature for "Plasson"?
The clip that you provide for this site is great but the way the clip starts sort of throws me off.

Please advise

Thombo
Old 10-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Gavin, fantastic playing, fantastic band. What drew me to ask you, however, was your sound. Your set as a whole sounds truly, truly stunning and I know its as much down to the player as the equipment used. I'm endlessly fascinated about the sonic potential of Sonor drums and I would be very interested in knowing how, technically, you approach your sound. What kind of EQing and compression you use and what kind of microphone configuration you use. Any answers would be very much appreciated.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:03 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Thombo,
sadly we haven't so far been out your way, but who knows what the future holds?
Plasson is in 7/8.

Hi Mediocrefunkybeat,
thanks for the kind words. I suppose my sound as far as my studio is concerned is a slowly evolving process. Endless trial and error over the past 10 years has helped me shape things as far as microphones, positioning, tuning, eq, processing etc. I suppose it's quite a personal thing. Part of the joy of having my own studio is that I can spend a lot of time trying things out. Everything in the chain can effect all the other things too.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-08-2006, 02:56 AM

Hey Gavin,
Excellent show last night in NYC!!!! The 3rd song in the first set was amazing! Cant wait to here it on the new album. The room sounded great, not a bad seat in the house. There was a line completely all the way around the block. Totally speechless. Thanks for stopping by and showing us a good time, i really enjoyed myself. Take care and God bless.

MM