DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-07-2008, 03:53 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi TitanSound,

I do remember asking the same question many pages back in this thread and if my memory serves me correctly you said it would be best to get in touch with marketing at Sonor to express an interest?

absolutely - Sonor and Zildjian.

Hi Anesth,

This is great news! Will you be playing similar things to what you did at Musikmesse Frankfurt? It would also be cool to hear some tough Porcupine Tree sections broken down.

I'll probably play some of the things I did in Frankfurt - plus some stuff from my latest album with 05Ric and some PT tracks too.

Hi Massimo98,

me and my dad really want to come to the Geelong drum festival, but we can't find anything out about it. Do you have anymore info please? . Do you know the venue?

All the answers are here;

http://www.myspace.com/drumaniamusicden

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-07-2008, 07:20 PM

Gavin -

Sorry to keep bothering you with endless transcription questions, but I was wondering if you could help me figure out the fill at 4:23 in 'What Happens Now?' right before the melody leading into all the ending craziness. I have really been struggling with how to hear the exact sticking you use...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 PM

hi gavin
i just wanted to know if the ending from even less is a polyrhythm and if not can you tell me what's going on?...thx in advance
Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 PM

Hi Gavin,

A couple of months ago I bought a Axis double pedal, the longboard version, and I'm really pleased with them, after some weeks of getting used to them, I'm totally comfortable with them.

The only small thing that bugs me is that the beaters are not in the center of the drumhead. Only the 'main' beater is in the center and the left beater is way off, so they sound different.

Do you have the same 'problem'?

The only thing I can think of to solve it would be to change the way the pedal grabs on to the bassdrum hoop, and shifting it more to the right so both beaters are more in the center.

Dre
Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12:5 View Post
hi gavin
i just wanted to know if the ending from even less is a polyrhythm and if not can you tell me what's going on?...thx in advance
That beat is actually one of the simpler polyrhythms GH does. If you just listen to the ride and snare, it's a straight 4/4 groove with the snare on every 4; it just sounds polyrhythmic because the heavy guitar part is in 6/8 (I think, maybe someone can correct me if I'm talking out of my ass), and his kick follows the heavy guitar part. It resolves every fourth measure of the 4/4 groove, and every eighth measure he puts the big tom fill to start the pattern over.

The way I learned this beat was just by only listening to the ride and snare until I could place all the kick accents.

Last edited by NeuroAxis; 03-07-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi As NeuroAxis points out the ride is playing,

I was wondering if you could help me figure out the fill at 4:23 in 'What Happens Now?' right before the melody leading into all the ending craziness.

I can't transcribe it right now but I can hear that it contains one of my favorite stickings of a grouping of 5 (in triplet 16ths) R L R R L. If you want an accurate transcription Terry Branam is the man.

Hi 12:5

i just wanted to know if the ending from even less is a polyrhythm and if not can you tell me what's going on?

Yes it's a strange little polyrhythm. As NeuroAxis points out the ride is playing 4 beats to the bar and the snare hits on beat 4. The bass drum is cycling in 3/8 with the guitars. The music is moving around in blocks of 4 bars of 4/4 - but the drum pattern resolve point is 6 bars of 4/4 - which makes it a little odd. I dug it out of my archive of drum charts for you (these 12 bars are of course repeated)..

Name:  Even Less end.jpg
Views: 4010
Size:  161.0 KB

Hi Drizzle,

The only small thing that bugs me is that the beaters are not in the center of the drumhead. Only the 'main' beater is in the center and the left beater is way off, so they sound different. Do you have the same 'problem'? The only thing I can think of to solve it would be to change the way the pedal grabs on to the bassdrum hoop, and shifting it more to the right so both beaters are more in the center.

That's really funny - that's exactly what I started doing a couple of years ago. I took off the black stops on either side of the front plate and just shifted the whole thing along to the right a couple of inches. I don't really tighten the pedal to the hoop now - but the velcro is SO strong it sticks to the drum mat anyway.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks, I think I can (sort of) hear that sticking in there now. Would this be the same sticking that you break down near the end of the Resolving chapter on Rhythmic Horizons?

Didn't mean to step in and answer 12:5's question for you, this was just one of the first of your weirder beats that I sort of understood, so I thought I could help someone else learn it. I can see now that the whole pattern resolves every 12 bars, I think I was just getting hung up on the big fill you do every 8 bars, thinking that was the resolve point (turns out it's a lot less "simple" than I thought...)
Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 AM

thank you for answering my question...yeah neuroaxis this is roughly what i was thinking but wasn't sure and gavin answered it perfectly...you can tell it's not a gavin harrison - polyrhythm...it's too simple^^;-)
Old 03-08-2008, 07:05 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi NeuroAxis,

Thanks, I think I can (sort of) hear that sticking in there now. Would this be the same sticking that you break down near the end of the Resolving chapter on Rhythmic Horizons?

Yes it is. Here's Terry Branam's transcription of it..

Name:  What Happens Now(424).jpg
Views: 3219
Size:  66.7 KB

(Regarding even Less) I can see now that the whole pattern resolves every 12 bars, I think I was just getting hung up on the big fill you do every 8 bars

What big fill every 8 bars?

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-08-2008, 08:16 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much to you and Mr.Branam for taking the time to do this.

I've attached an mp3 of the fill I meant, because I'm really bad at explaining these things. I think it comes every eight bars of the 4/4 snare/ride beat, unless I am counting it wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 even_less_fill.mp3 (89.0 KB, 735 views)
Old 03-09-2008, 06:57 PM

Hello Gavin,

As I'm about to build up a small recording equipment I was wondering if u can suggest any PREAMP that's particularly good for recording drums.
p/s: i dun want a big mixer around 'cuz the space is so small.

Thanks again, ciao
Old 03-09-2008, 11:13 PM

Hi Gavin, thankyou for the explanation of "Overriding" and the example pattern, I've been looking at Drum Parts I've used in my band and I found this one:

The rest of the band are playing in 4 over the top and I'm playing an Ostinato with the Kick and Snare (which resolves every 5 bars) whilst keeping a 4 pulse on the Ride Bell. Is this an exmaple of Overriding or is there another Rhythmic device at play here?

Thanks for your time,

Kev

Last edited by K.Howden; 03-09-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Hi Gavin,

Questions about practicing time-keeping:

I've recorded myself and am aware of a habit to rush fills, should I "compensate" against my natural inclination to rush by dragging fills a commensurate amount in my mind?

What is the best way to correct the tendency to rush (especially in a band situation where a click is impractical and the music is high-energy)?

Finally, are there any specific time-keeping exercises or types of exercises you like to work on to develop your "internal clock"?

Any and all responses are welcome, this is quite a key issue for me at the moment.

Thanks,
-Charles
Old 03-10-2008, 01:19 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi NeuroAxis,

I've attached an mp3 of the fill I meant, because I'm really bad at explaining these things. I think it comes every eight bars of the 4/4 snare/ride beat, unless I am counting it wrong.

I understand what you mean now. It's just a little bass drum ruff leading on to the last 16ths of bar 8 (of every 12). I didn't really think of it as a big fill.

Hi steste50,

As I'm about to build up a small recording equipment I was wondering if u can suggest any PREAMP that's particularly good for recording drums. p/s: i dun want a big mixer around 'cuz the space is so small.

I can recommend the Mackie desks. I believe the new small Onyx ones are really good. I've never been disappointed by Mackie preamps. I have of course used many others in bigger studios - but there's so many other variables going on that it's almost impossible to tell if the mic amps were the one thing that was making so much difference. I did an A/B test with API preamps and REALLY couldn't tell the difference between them and the Mackie 32:8 bus.

Hi K.Howden,

The rest of the band are playing in 4 over the top and I'm playing an Ostinato with the Kick and Snare (which resolves every 5 bars) whilst keeping a 4 pulse on the Ride Bell. Is this an example of Overriding or is there another Rhythmic device at play here?

Yes I would class this as overriding. Your kick and snare are cycling in 5/8 (which is obviously why it takes 5 bars of 4/4 to resolve) whilst your ride cymbal is just play straight quarter notes over the top of it. Nice pattern.

Hi cjcdrums,

I've recorded myself and am aware of a habit to rush fills, should I "compensate" against my natural inclination to rush by dragging fills a commensurate amount in my mind?

Ideally you need to be in control. You need to hear your timing whilst you are playing it. It's too late to only hear it when you listen back to a recording. Obviously practise your fills to a click as much as you can - be aware of the subdivisions you're using. If you're play a groove that has 8th notes on the hi hat - and then you make a fill using 16ths make sure they are true - and not faster or slower 16ths - sing the 16th note subdivisions to yourself as you are playing the fill. That's the kind of thing you can practise with a metronome and a drum pad - try switching up and down lots of subdivisions.
When you're about to make a fill start pumping your hi hat foot in 8ths (or quarters if it's a fast tempo - and 16ths if it's a really slow tempo) and keep that going all the way through the fill. Sometimes you just have to get used to the idea of deliberately holding back.

Finally, are there any specific time-keeping exercises or types of exercises you like to work on to develop your "internal clock"?

There are many ways to work on your sense of internal clock - but you really have to train your ear to hear it. Firstly play to really slow clicks. Quarter notes at 40 bpm or slower - you're going to have to start making accurate subdivisions in your head to fill the space between those clicks. Then try the opposite and play in between a click that's running at 250bpm (so you are playing off the click)- with each limb individually for a minute or so. Try that at tempos 200 -300. Try programing clicks of a 4 bar cycle where the 4th bar is silent.

Cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 03-10-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:12 PM

Hi Gavin,

I was reading back in these posts about your mic selection in your studio. In particular you mentioned you were using a pair of close ambient mics (Pair of Neumann TLM 103's). Where are these mics placed, and how high? Are there any delay issues?

Thanks!!
Jeff
Old 03-10-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Re: time-keeping

Interesting, Gavin. Many thanks!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Default Drum Transcriptions

Gavin,

I was wondering if any of your solo or band work has drum tabs posted anywhere online ? I'm really interested in seeing how you put together that fast roll (sounds stuttered) right before the guitar solo in "Unsettled". It's a combination of tom/bass/snare , but they sound choppy and almost off time.

One more question, what exactly is a ratamaque ? Would that be something like what Steve Gadd does a lot of ? Snare followed by Tom followed by bass. Sort of a fast triplet using snare/tom/bass or tom/tom/bass. In a rolling effect. In fact it sounds like you use that in the beginning of "Unsettled".

Take Care

Eric
Old 03-11-2008, 02:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JeffV71,

I was reading back in these posts about your mic selection in your studio. In particular you mentioned you were using a pair of close ambient mics (Pair of Neumann TLM 103's). Where are these mics placed, and how high? Are there any delay issues?

These mics are placed directly above my head. About 6 inches above and spaced the width of my head - and angled out like ears. It the closest I could get to "a drummers point of view" in terms of sound. I started moving the mics back into that position when I recorded "Fear Of A Blank Planet". I wanted to get more of the overall sound and concentrate less on just capturing the cymbals. In fact I get a more even balance of the cymbals back there too. I reverse the phase in the mixing process - because the snare drum sounds fatter that way round.

Hi euphoric_anomaly,

I was wondering if any of your solo or band work has drum tabs posted anywhere online ? I'm really interested in seeing how you put together that fast roll (sounds stuttered) right before the guitar solo in "Unsettled". It's a combination of tom/bass/snare , but they sound choppy and almost off time.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'drum tabs'. Is that the same as notation? Probably the most notational transcriptions of things I've played are right here in this thread. The fill you're referring to in "Unsettled" 3:47 is just 16th note triplets with the right hand playing the toms and the left hand playing the snare drum (there's no bass drum in it). The right hand goes up and down the 5 toms in a very fast movement.

One more question, what exactly is a ratamaque ?

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/ru...ratamacue.html

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-11-2008, 06:27 PM

Thanks very much for your reply! I think I speak for all of us here at Drummerworld that your opinions are highly valued and respected. Your experience and abilities in drumming, recording, and in the industry are inspiring. They provides us amazing education we can take with us down the road. It's always an honor and pleasure to bounce questions off of you!

Take care,
Jeff
Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Congratulations Gavin for winning "Best Prog Drummer" in the Modern Drummer Reader's Poll!! (some fierce competition here!)

Also "Fear of a Blank Planet" took second place for "Best Recorded Performance".

Top notch work, man!

Terry
Old 03-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

just two questions :)
-1- Can you please make a photo of your custom made "chime/bell holder?"
-2- Can you name me the exact sizes (maybe in centimetre) of your bells?

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything :(
Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Mr Harrison:

I have a question for you about your In Ear Monitors (IEM)
Do you control the mix in your IEM's or is it done by a side stage sound engineer? How is the bass end of the spectrum handled? Do you get enough kick in the IEM's or do you have a tactile speaker on your throne?

I ask because I'm a Dad trying to make sure my son, and his band mates still have all their hearing when they get to the professional level, and since you and PT are one of their current role models, "Gavin says" may have more sway than "Dad says".

Also, Does Colin Edwin or Ian Bond have similar forums that they follow?

Erich Rienecker
Monterey Ca.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Hey Gavin,
What was the name of the company that you hired to find the reverb time in your large room? Can you remember the program they used by any chance? Thanks

MM
Old 03-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Hi Gavin,

just two questions :)

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything :(
Hi,

If you haven't seen it, Gav posted this info about the little cymbals themselves...

Last edited by Chris Edwards; 03-15-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich777 View Post
Do you control the mix in your IEM's or is it done by a side stage sound engineer? How is the bass end of the spectrum handled? Do you get enough kick in the IEM's or do you have a tactile speaker on your throne?
Hi,

Info on PT monitoring arrangements in this post.

Quote:
I ask because I'm a Dad trying to make sure my son, and his band mates still have all their hearing when they get to the professional level
Yep. Playing a drumkit at a decent level for a decent amount of time WILL permanently damage your hearing. And that's before you add in a band, with associated loud guitar amps etc etc.

Quote:
and since you and PT are one of their current role models, "Gavin says" may have more sway than "Dad says".

Gavin mentions protecting his hearing in the forum e.g here.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've got a small challenge for you or anyone else reading this thread who wishes to.
I've attached a very short MP3 file of a layered Acousticy soundscape type piece that I've written (inspired by Ric) but I'm struggling to find a Drum Groove for it. I was wondering if you or anyone has advice on how I should approach the Drums for this as I'm rather stumped at the minute, just as information the piece is 4/4 4/4 11/8 as a three Bar cycle, the BPM of the piece is 110 Crochets Beats per Minute.

I look forward to any input that can be provided by you and the readers of this thread

Hope everyone's well,

Kev

p.s. I'll understand if you don't want to do this it might be a tiny bit time consuming and you probably have a lot going on :)
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Layered Acoustic.mp3 (1.69 MB, 704 views)
Old 03-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Hey Gavin, I hate asking you for another one of your licks, but I cant help it.

On the youtube version of "Futile", theres a fill that goes from 1:38- 1:45ish. Its an incredibly sick fill, and I would love it if either you or Terry Branam had a transcription for it.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:51 AM

Mr. Harrison -

I'm in a bit of a jam and I wondered if you or anyone else who feels like taking a crack at it might be able to help me out of it.

Tomorrow I'm trying out for a band that has some pretty tricky rhythmic stuff in their music. I've learned most of it but I am stuck on one fill that I just can't hear exactly what their former drummer was doing.

I've attached an mp3 of the fill, and below it I've attached what I think he's doing on the fill, programmed on my drum machine and slowed way down. The fill in question is the last big kick/snare/tom pattern at the end of the section, right before the quick 16th note double bass beat and the two tags (at about 0:09). I know I'm close, but the part of the song is so frenetic that I can't tell if I am right or if it's just close enough that it sounds right to me.

Like I said, anyone who wants to take a crack at it is welcome to. The audition is tomorrow so any and all help is very *very* much appreciated. Thanks!

All music copyright Batcastle 2008
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Earth_Meteors_fill.mp3 (223.0 KB, 729 views)
File Type: mp3 Earth_Meteors_fill_mine.mp3 (100.9 KB, 674 views)

Last edited by NeuroAxis; 03-16-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Howden View Post
I look forward to any input that can be provided by you and the readers of this thread
If you have the means to do so, I would suggest looping the piece, playing along to it, and forcing yourself to keep playing until you come up with something you like. I used to do this with parts that I was stumped as to what to play over them (I would use regular iPod-style earbuds with Vic Firth isolation earmuffs over them (because I can't afford IEMs); it cut out just enough of the drums that I could hear the music I was playing to over them). Invariably, you will eventually play something that gives you an emotional reaction to the piece, and I would use that as a starting point for ideas.

Personally, I think it would be kind of counterproductive to have me tell you what I would play over the piece, because that would be my approach that reflects how I hear the piece, rather than your own.

Really nice acoustic piece, though. Well written, and there are definitely a lot of interesting rhythmic possibilities in there.

Good luck...
Old 03-16-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroAxis View Post
If you have the means to do so, I would suggest looping the piece, playing along to it, and forcing yourself to keep playing until you come up with something you like.
Thanks for the input Neuro Axis and thankyou for the kind words.

I have looped it and tried to see what I can come up with but the 4/4 4/4 11/8 can be different depending on how you Count certain Melodic groupings/phrases within the piece, so setting 4,4,11 out as the Concrete way of counting the piece is probably a lack of good judgment on my part and I must note this was written a long time ago before I fully understood Time-Signatures so I guess you can throw that way of Counting the piece out of the window.

To me the piece almost seems almost "a-rhythmic" or extremley ambigous at least, and reminds me somewhat of Church Bell music which seems to have a very free and very ambigous quality to the Rhythm of it.

Either way its hurting my Brain!! haha

Hope everyone's well,

Kev
Old 03-17-2008, 03:39 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Kalma,

I can't make a photo of the holder - but a forum member Angelo made one almost identical

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=1533

The bells range from about 6" down to 4"

Hi erich777,

Also, Does Colin Edwin or Ian Bond have similar forums that they follow?

I don't think so. I believe Chris Edwards has pointed you to the right info regarding your other questions about monitoring.

Hi Midnite Mike,

What was the name of the company that you hired to find the reverb time in your large room? Can you remember the program they used by any chance? Thanks

I think they were called Studio Wizard in the UK. The program was called MLSSA

Hi K.Howden,

I've attached a very short MP3 file of a layered Acousticy soundscape type piece that I've written (inspired by Ric) but I'm struggling to find a Drum Groove for it. I was wondering if you or anyone has advice on how I should approach the Drums for this as I'm rather stumped at the minute, just as information the piece is 4/4 4/4 11/8 as a three Bar cycle, the BPM of the piece is 110 Crochets Beats per Minute.

There's obviously many ways to navigate through this rhythm. It sounds like you've already got a 4 over 3 polyrhythm going on with the guitar line - so it could be nice to pick up on that and play two bars of 12/8 + one bar of 3/8 at the end. That would keep the 3/8 (dotted quarter note) going all the time as a pulse. Then you could switch to playing 3 bars of 4/4 + a 3/8 bar on the end. Perhaps in the 3/8 bar you could divide it into 2 by playing 2 dotted 8ths.

They would be the two most of obvious ways I would think of chopping up this guitar pattern. There are limitless other ways - but it really depends what you're trying to convey. Do you want the listener to be able to follow it - or do you want to confuse them? Do you want it to have a comfortable groove?

Hi franklinj,

On the youtube version of "Futile", theres a fill that goes from 1:38- 1:45ish. Its an incredibly sick fill, and I would love it if either you or Terry Branam had a transcription for it.

That's a whole solo section rather than just one fill - I don't know if Terry has time to wade through it. I know I haven't - sorry

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-17-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

There's obviously many ways to navigate through this rhythm. It sounds like you've already got a 4 over 3 polyrhythm going on with the guitar line - so it could be nice to pick up on that and play two bars of 12/8 + one bar of 3/8 at the end. That would keep the 3/8 (dotted quarter note) going all the time as a pulse. Then you could switch to playing 3 bars of 4/4 + a 3/8 bar on the end. Perhaps in the 3/8 bar you could divide it into 2 by playing 2 dotted 8ths.

They would be the two most of obvious ways I would think of chopping up this guitar pattern. There are limitless other ways - but it really depends what you're trying to convey. Do you want the listener to be able to follow it - or do you want to confuse them? Do you want it to have a comfortable groove?

Gavin
I haven't quite decided yet how I want it to feel but you've given me some good food for thought.

Using the 12/8+3/8 combination it occured there that you could combine the total of 8th notes pre measure to create 15/8. There are a number of subdivisions this could be broken down into for example; 7/8+4/4 or 6/8+9/8 (to maintain a triplet feel) to keep a constant feel to the Groove the 15/8 could be divided into 3 as 5/8+5/8+5/8.

Thanks for the help in getting the Ball rolling,

Hope you're well,

Kev
Old 03-18-2008, 04:24 PM

Default Swerve Time Signature ?

Gavin,

I was wondering what time signature "swerve" is in ? It almost sounds like a mix between 4/4, 5/4 and some other strange combination. I'm gathering from the title that the time signature changes frequently.

Also, near the end of the song you play a part that sounds like it has some choppy or dotted notes on the ride. I cannot count the timing you play on that ride, first it sounds like 6 or so 8th notes, but then it changes again. haha you continue to amaze AND confuse me.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:43 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly,

"Swerve" is all in 4/4. You might be getting confused by some of the displaced snare drum/bass drum hits that I do. The patterns on the ride cymbal are just 16th note syncopations. Sometimes there are little double stroke rolls going on between the right hand (on the cymbal) and the left hand (on the hi hat).

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 PM

Dear mr. Gavin Harrison,

I've been listening to Porcupine Tree since when I was 13 years old, so that was 4 years ago. Since then I love the music and I love your sound and the way you produce your sounds on the drums. After I heared .3 from In Absentia I began to play music myself, and because of you I'm still drumming today. In my opinion you're the most skilled drummer out there this day with the best techniques and the most musical 'feel' as a drummer I've ever heard. Like on the DVD during Buying New Soul, the way your drumming blends into the rest of the music is just beautiful to hear. I've been to 4 live show's here in Holland (013, Paradiso, Melkweg, Heineken Music Hall) and I'll see you again during PinkPop.
Long story short:

Thanks for all your inspiration and thanks for your beautiful and awesome drumming

Greeting,

Tjalling
Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 PM

Gavin, I've just read you're scheduled to play at Modern Drummer Festival 2008! Congratulations! This is awesome.

Sorry if this has already been said, I was just too damn excited to check back pages.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:02 PM

Hi Gavin,

So glad that you can find time out of your busy schedule to write back. With all the technical drum questions I'm not sure the drum audience knows that you will be playing with King Crimson this summer. Have you been rehearsing with K.C. lately? I think I only saw 3 U.S. dates so far, is this correct?

P.S. I have a 4 yr old daughter, Ashley, who just loves to hear you play. She will request a P.T. song when we are either in the car or at home. If you don't mind would you just say, Hi to her...that would make her day.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 03-19-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Hi Gavin

Hi Gavin,
I read on Modern Drummer's web site that you will be coming to the MD festival this year. Very excited about that!!. You're so innovative and have a very unique sound. I have front row tickets for both days and I can hardly wait. Congratulations!!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 PM

Hi Gavin

I was studying "Unsettled" today (one of my favorite songs so far) and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the song starts out with 8 bars of 4/4 (excellent displacement on the snare drum there), and then right before the vocals come in does it switch to 7/8 ?

Thanks

Eric
Old 03-21-2008, 07:47 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Tjalling,

thanks for the kind words!!

Hi Vicarious & mottnt,

yes I'm very excited to be playing at the MD festival.

Hi crookedrook,

Have you been rehearsing with K.C. lately? I think I only saw 3 U.S. dates so far, is this correct?

I start rehearsals soon. It's not unimaginable that there could be more dates in the US.

Hi euphoric_anomaly,

I was studying "Unsettled" today (one of my favorite songs so far) and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the song starts out with 8 bars of 4/4 (excellent displacement on the snare drum there), and then right before the vocals come in does it switch to 7/8 ?

Yes you are correct about the intro being 8 bars of 4/4 - that's how I think of it - although after I recorded it and was working it out to play on drum clinics - I realised that the drums play 3 patterns of 9/8 and a 5/8 to fit into every 4 bars of the 4/4. I think that's why the snare drum accents sound so displaced. Just before the vocals start - the drums go into 7/16 + 5/16 (which adds up to the same amount as a bar of 3/4 or 12/8). I like to play with these 'rhythmical options' and mess around with the rhythmic perspective of the listener.

Cheers
Gavin