DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-18-2008, 12:47 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi DTrocks,

most of the time I use a Zildjian 20" K ride. I've got a few other Zildjian rides but the K 20 is probably the most versatile.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 PM

Hey Gavin,

A few questions again.

Which snaredrum do you use on Cheating the Polygraph?

The last line in My Ashes, the SAAIILLLLSSSS thingy.
Is that Steven or John singing?

Cheers,

Francis
Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 AM

Gavin -

Is this you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNXj...eature=related

The info mentions someone named Enzo Aguello, but it came up along with a bunch of Claudio Baglioni videos, and he plays a very similar style and setup. I think I even heard a beat specifically from one of the Musikmesse videos.

Just curious
Old 02-19-2008, 04:47 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Progfo

Which snaredrum do you use on Cheating the Polygraph?

A Yamaha RC 9000 1982 14x5 birch.

The last line in My Ashes, the SAAIILLLLSSSS thingy.
Is that Steven or John singing?

I would imagine that it's Steven.

Hi NeuroAxis,

Is this you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNXj...eature=related

No it's Enzo Aguello.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-19-2008, 04:54 AM
Platinum Member

Gavin,

I first heard of you through this forum. I enjoy your playing very much. Wish you much continued success. It's great to have someone share their time and talent with his fellow drummers on this forum.

Thanks

Pete in Boston

Last edited by 2bsticks; 02-19-2008 at 04:55 AM. Reason: grannar
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM

Hello again Gavin,

One of my favourite PT tracks is 'So Called Friend' and there are some wonderful little fills in there that I'm trying to get my head around from the 'live' version. Two in particular are played just after the line 'What kind of friend are you...you're so cold' where (first time around) you are playing between the bell and bow of the ride/hi-hat/snare/BD, and second time around you play a flurry of beats between the ride and closed hi-hat with accents on the bell. If you are able to pintpoint the sections I'm referring to could you possibly chart how these are played for me please?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi mixamuss,

I don't know the fills you're talking about from memory. The best chance of a good transcription is to contact Terry Branam - you'll find him a few posts back. I'd be more than happy if he were to do it.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 PM

Hi Gavin,

My first appear in this forum. Recently i got the DROP album through Burningshed -by the way without the artwork download file- and in the last month, is the only music i hear. Incredible work. Brilliant fusion and a endless drum lesson.

As i live in Sevilla -Spain- we have a local song in a flamenco-style called "sevillanas" that goes in straight 3/4, just in the same way that the clap section in TRAINS. Gavin ¿how came that rhythmic idea..? and ¿how goes the song?, because seems to be in 12/8 with snare in 2 and 4, but if i believe the guitar sometimes goes to other place. ¿illusion?

I am that we can call "weekend drummer", but who not avoid the chance to play better, and that´s why i love your books/dvds -great job-, cause i´m learning interesting and fresh things that makes my drumming richer .

I really love the high musicality of your playing, and how tasteful you always are.

Thank you very very much for all, and my best wishes -dying for know about the new Crimson-

Rhythmically "illusioned",
Gustavo
Old 02-20-2008, 03:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus,

we have a local song in a flamenco-style called "sevillanas" that goes in straight 3/4, just in the same way that the clap section in TRAINS. Gavin ¿how came that rhythmic idea..?

That was Steven's idea - the song was written before I joined the band.

¿how goes the song?, because seems to be in 12/8 with snare in 2 and 4, but if i believe the guitar sometimes goes to other place. ¿illusion?

This does have a kind of rhythmic illusion in it. The song is in 4/4 (with a snare on 2 & 4) but many people misunderstand the downbeat when they first hear it (me included). What appears to be the "one" is actually the "2&". When I first transcribed the song I thought the verses were 5/8 + 3/8 but when I understood it - I realised that I just got the downbeat wrong and so it's all in straight 4/4 right up to the part where the band stops and the 'clapping' section begins.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-20-2008, 11:55 PM

Hey Gavin! Hope your break's going well (although i'm sure you're all keeping relatively busy)

My band is getting prepared to play some live shows (rehearsing, etc), and in order to reproduce all the additional sounds that we won't be able to play in a live environment, we're looking at in-ear systems and playing along to a click (similar to what you guys do).

I've looked at several of the Shure systems, and i expect to pay about 500 dollars for each base station (not for myself of course, no need for me to be wireless), but i'm iffy about the quality of the included earbuds. What do you prefer, and why? I probably won't be able to use the same system (since we're somewhat poor), but perhaps your advice could point us in the right direction.

I personally have a set of Shure SE310 in-ears, and i'll probably use those with a little headphone amp for monitor mix. I know you've all got that Yamaha board on the stage for mixing, we still need to figure something out for the wireless system mix.

I appreciate any advice you can give! You're a huge inspiration to me, and the rest of the members in my band.

take care
-chris
Old 02-21-2008, 04:10 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi xopethx,

here's my story with IEM.
When PT decided to start using 'in ear monitoring' (IEM) we went to a place in London to have some custom fitted molds made - and the idea was to buy the best ones available (Ultimate Ears). When we got there the guy talked us out of getting the uber expensive ones and go for the custom molds that will house any generic walkman type headphone buds. When I got them (a couple of weeks later) I was disappointed by the lack of quality of the sound. ALL the high frequencies were missing due to the fact that the ear buds don't point directly down your ear canal. That meant that I struggled to hear the cymbals/hi hat etc...BUT as a strange side effect to that - my ears didn't ring anymore (in a tinnitus way)..which was REALLY GOOD.
So I turned the overhead mics up pretty high in my mix to try to compensate. This is a sound I've got used to. It's not a great sound but I can hear the drum frequencies up to a mid range acoustically - and the highs are accentuated through the headphones.

Curiosity got the better of me last year so I went and got the uber expensive Ultimate Ears UE10's fitted (cost just over $1000). They sound amazing - but I found them very hard work because they cut out SO much of the outside sound you can't even have a conversation with someone standing right next to you. So you feel VERY cut off and then totally reliant on the mics...which is fine - but I couldn't tell how loud the headphones were and became scared at turning them up too much and damaging my ears.
Plus I couldn't really hear my drums acoustically at all - and (probably because I've been playing for so many years) found it to disconcerting. I like to feel the drums nice and loud (and 'in my face') and when I had the UE10's up that loud - my ears would start to ring again. Plus I found I was hitting the drums too hard to try to get that feeling back of the drums hitting me directly in the face.

I know there are UE7's which have holes in them to allow outside sounds to bleed through, but I've got used to my original headphones now and I actually like the fact that my ears don't ring anymore due to the lack of high frequencies. Also I deliberately take off all the high frequencies of my click sounds (anything above about 7khz is off).

I've got to add to all that - if you're using IEM and don't carry your own monitor desk with you - you can be in for a pretty rough ride using the 'in house' monitor desk and engineer who doesn't know your music.

We quickly gave up with wireless packs. All of us go hard wired. It sounds better, has no interference and no battery related problems. We're not the kind of performers who go running all over the stage anyway.

My UE10's are unbelievably good for listening to my iPod on a plane trip though.

Cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 02-21-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixamuss View Post
Hello again Gavin,

One of my favourite PT tracks is 'So Called Friend' and there are some wonderful little fills in there that I'm trying to get my head around from the 'live' version. Two in particular are played just after the line 'What kind of friend are you...you're so cold' where (first time around) you are playing between the bell and bow of the ride/hi-hat/snare/BD, and second time around you play a flurry of beats between the ride and closed hi-hat with accents on the bell. If you are able to pintpoint the sections I'm referring to could you possibly chart how these are played for me please?

Many thanks in advance.
Well, I wasn't sure which version you are listening to, so I will post up two different versions. These are from the Rockpalast 2005 concert. I am also going to do the same section from the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD. I'll post those when I'm finished, so stay tuned...

Terry

Last edited by Terry Branam; 02-21-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks for doing this, Terry. I have always wondered about the exact sticking of those fills.

Just out of curiosity, what program do you use for notation? I have been wanting to start tabbing out some of my drum parts but haven't found a good program to use.

Thanks...
Old 02-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Hi Gavin

Have you ever tried the 13" k/z hihat?.

Talking about cymbals: With the success in the forum of your ideas about custom-made splashes...Are you considering the money you´re loosing for not became into a splash-maker...? -just joking-

Best wishes
Old 02-21-2008, 11:57 PM

Hi Terry,

Thanks for that . They are exactly what I was looking for. The version I was referring to was from 'Arriving Somewhere' but from my untrained-ear perspective I'm sure the tab will be the same.

Thanks again Terry, much appreciated.

[quote=Terry B.;412137]Well, I wasn't sure which version you are listening to, so I will post up two different versions. These are from the Rockpalast 2005 concert. I am also going to do the same section from the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD. I'll post those when I'm finished, so stay tuned...

Terry
Old 02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus,

Have you ever tried the 13" k/z hihat?.

Yes I played them for many years in the 1990's. Very nice too.

Hi 12:5

can you tell me where the illusion in futile starts and how it works?
i cannot hear it, there are so many crazy rhythms i don't know which one^^

The whole song is in 4/4 from beginning to end - except the second bar of the chorus pattern (which is a four bar cycle) is always a 3/4 bar. Finally the bar before the outro with the big fill is one bar of 5/4. Try tapping your foot in quarter notes and count through the whole piece. It's quite a ride!!!

Which version of Futile do you have?

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-22-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi xopethx,

here's my story with IEM.
When PT decided to start using 'in ear monitoring' (IEM) we went to a place in London to have some custom fitted molds made - and the idea was to buy the best ones available (Ultimate Ears). When we got there the guy talked us out of getting the uber expensive ones and go for the custom molds that will house any generic walkman type headphone buds. When I got them (a couple of weeks later) I was disappointed by the lack of quality of the sound. ALL the high frequencies were missing due to the fact that the ear buds don't point directly down your ear canal. That meant that I struggled to hear the cymbals/hi hat etc...BUT as a strange side effect to that - my ears didn't ring anymore (in a tinnitus way)..which was REALLY GOOD.
So I turned the overhead mics up pretty high in my mix to try to compensate. This is a sound I've got used to. It's not a great sound but I can hear the drum frequencies up to a mid range acoustically - and the highs are accentuated through the headphones.

Curiosity got the better of me last year so I went and got the uber expensive Ultimate Ears UE10's fitted (cost just over $1000). They sound amazing - but I found them very hard work because they cut out SO much of the outside sound you can't even have a conversation with someone standing right next to you. So you feel VERY cut off and then totally reliant on the mics...which is fine - but I couldn't tell how loud the headphones were and became scared at turning them up too much and damaging my ears.
Plus I couldn't really hear my drums acoustically at all - and (probably because I've been playing for so many years) found it to disconcerting. I like to feel the drums nice and loud (and 'in my face') and when I had the UE10's up that loud - my ears would start to ring again. Plus I found I was hitting the drums too hard to try to get that feeling back of the drums hitting me directly in the face.

I know there are UE7's which have holes in them to allow outside sounds to bleed through, but I've got used to my original headphones now and I actually like the fact that my ears don't ring anymore due to the lack of high frequencies. Also I deliberately take off all the high frequencies of my click sounds (anything above about 7khz is off).

I've got to add to all that - if you're using IEM and don't carry your own monitor desk with you - you can be in for a pretty rough ride using the 'in house' monitor desk and engineer who doesn't know your music.

We quickly gave up with wireless packs. All of us go hard wired. It sounds better, has no interference and no battery related problems. We're not the kind of performers who go running all over the stage anyway.

My UE10's are unbelievably good for listening to my iPod on a plane trip though.

Cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin, thanks so much for your help! One thing though - when you say that "all of us are hard wired", does that mean that Steven, Colin, and John all have wires trailing down themselves, running offstage? I'm a bit confused as to how that works, especially when they want to walk on and offstage!

thanks once more
-chris
Old 02-22-2008, 03:40 PM

hi gavin
yeah i tried to count the timesignatures before but as i said i couldn't find out so i gave up disillusioned ;-)
i have the rockpalastversion as well as the one which is on the futile ep
by the way i find the liveversion to be better as it is with almost all of porcupine tree's songs because it grooves even more than the studioversion...
Old 02-22-2008, 04:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi xopethx,

does that mean that Steven, Colin, and John all have wires trailing down themselves, running offstage?

When Steve and Colin get on stage they plug in their headphones. Colin has a little headphone amp on the floor by his pedal board - Steve has a double lead that serves his guitar and headphones. His headphone amp is round the back of his guitar cabinet. Actually John still does use a wireless pack.

Hi drumher,

At about 4.20 to 4.40 it is in 7/4 or 7/8(then with overriding Ride cymbal), is it right?

The 7/8 section starts at 3:53 - and there's a quarter note override on the ride cymbal

There I want to understand your fills, it sounds like sixtuplets with spacings in four...(?)

The fills in that section are 32nd notes - mostly groups of 5.

Mostly you start with the fills after three quarternots so you´ve got time for one 4/4 bar (?)

No it's all in 7 - I don't think of the fills in 4/4.

Hi 12:5,

yeah i tried to count the timesignatures before but as i said i couldn't find out so i gave up disillusioned ;-)

You need to see it written out - and then you'd understand how it's all in 4/4. Sounds like another job for the great Terry Branam.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-22-2008, 07:59 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'd like to know what's the exact complete PATH of the signals of your drums from the mikes (that i know) up to your Mac for recording in your home studio.

(ps: r u planning any gig in Italy in the nearest future?)

Ciao and thanks.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 PM

Dear Gavin,
I have a question towards your DVD "Rhythmic Horizons":
In your Polyrhythmic-Theory you demonstrate how to count on a 16th and triplet microstructure. So is this exercise only to practice thinking of groups or is it to practice quintuplets and septuplets? Thus what is the sense of your exercise?
Is this chapter not for practicing tuplets, what is the best way to pratice (for example) 5:2 or 7:3?
Thanks a lot!!!=)

Chris
Old 02-23-2008, 02:31 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi steste50,

I'd like to know what's the exact complete PATH of the signals of your drums from the mikes (that i know) up to your Mac for recording in your home studio.

My mics are plugged into my Mackie 32:8 bus analog desk. The outputs of the Mackie channels go into two Apogee Rosetta's (A/D converters) and then passed onto the Mac.

(ps: r u planning any gig in Italy in the nearest future?)

No - sorry.

Hi ChrisBassdrum,

I have a question towards your DVD "Rhythmic Horizons":
In your Polyrhythmic-Theory you demonstrate how to count on a 16th and triplet microstructure. So is this exercise only to practice thinking of groups or is it to practice quintuplets and septuplets?

I haven't looked at that DVD for quite some time - but from my memory of that section - it starts off with simple polyrhythms based on 16ths and triplet subdivisions. But then I sing quintuplets and clap quarter notes (4:5) and groups of 3 (3:5) and groups of 7 (7:5) Then I think I go on to sing septuplets and clap groups of 3 (3:7) groups of 4 (4:7) and groups of 5 (5:7).
The point of the exercise is to give yourself a mental rhythmical workout in a few different subdivisions whilst clapping a few different groupings.

what is the best way to pratice (for example) 5:2 or 7:3?

I'm guessing that you haven't seen either of my books as I go through it in both of them (I believe). To practice 5:2 first you need to make 5:1 (quintuplets) and then just play every other note. That will give you 5:2. In a similar fashion to make 7:3 start by make 7:1 (septuplets) and just play every third note.

Hi drumher,

So on your second DVD you show some sticking in 5(?), I don´t know exactly: RLRRL...
To those fills on Nil Recurring, are they based on that sticking or did you compose them before you recorded?

I think they are based on that sticking - there maybe some variations in there plus some bass drum substitutions too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-23-2008, 09:30 AM

Hi Gavin

I´m highly impressed with DROP. Is a great great recording. Congratulations -also to 05Ric-.
SAILING is a beautiful song. Is the chorus (i am sailing...) in 5/4, and then change in 4/4???.
I belive that master Fripp is playing in DROP. All guitars in the record?

Thank you
Gustavo
Old 02-23-2008, 01:22 PM

Thanks from your prompt reply!

I'd also like to know what kind of sound interface card u use on the mac and what's the software for yer multitrack recording. I'm asking u all that because i guess u're using products that fit into a drummer's activities and concepts of music and 'cuz u, of course, have got tons of experience.

Ciao and re-thanks
Old 02-23-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steste50 View Post

I'd also like to know what kind of sound interface card u use on the mac and what's the software for yer multitrack recording.

Ciao and re-thanks
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...2&postcount=90
Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

just three questions:

-1- which bassdrum beaters do you use on the videos of futile?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NsHyGbadzQQ

-2- are you able to play doubles and paradiddles on your bassdrum at high tempo?

-3- how do you like the new sonor basic arm system and do you use it?
Old 02-24-2008, 03:10 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus,

I´m highly impressed with DROP. Is a great great recording. Congratulations -also to 05Ric-.
SAILING is a beautiful song. Is the chorus (i am sailing...) in 5/4, and then change in 4/4???.

That part of Sailing is 9/8 - same as the intro.

I belive that master Fripp is playing in DROP. All guitars in the record?

Robert Fripp plays atmospheric sounds on "Sailing" and "Where Are You Going?"

Hi Kalma,

-1- which bassdrum beaters do you use on the videos of futile?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NsHyGbadzQQ

They are the regular Sonor ones that I painted white so that the camera could pick them out more easily.

-2- are you able to play doubles and paradiddles on your bassdrum at high tempo?

No. Everything I play is singles - always starting with the right foot...and I'm not at all interested in playing fast.

-3- how do you like the new sonor basic arm system and do you use it?

I didn't know about them until you asked this question. I looked at the info on their site and it looks like it will be a very useful system of hardware.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-24-2008, 04:08 AM

Hi again Gavin.. I just bought my copy of Nil Recurring and love it.
Your playing and the song arrangements are incredible as usual.
I just love the dynamics you and the band bring forth on all your
recordings. I must say Porcupine Tree's EP of 4 songs is better
than most artists entire library of music. |O| Steve Wilson is a genius.
I also purchased Steve's Blackfield DVD. Very cool band.

Keep the great work coming Gavin and thanks for giving
us your input on the forum ;-) Hopefully some day I'll get
to see you perform live.

glen
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 PM

Hey Gavin, just a quick question...Are you familiar with the tour Mike Portnoy put together, The Progressive Nation tour? Well, anyway, my question is, would there be a chance of Porcupine Tree, or even, dare I say, GH05 playing Progressive Nation next time around? Seeing you guys with Opeth would be amazing! Also, are there any bands who you/PT would like to tour with? Thanks again for answering all of our questions! You're the man!
Josh
Old 02-24-2008, 11:37 PM

Hey Gavin,

I know you're getting flooded with questions, but I hope you can find time to answer mine! I have Rhythmic Illusions and have just got the Rhythmic Horizona DVD, but they do not tell me how to count odd 'tuplets' i.e. in a Rhythmic scale, how would you count an elevenlet as the tempo increases? Or in a type 3 modulation using septuplets? Do you count all the beats, or do you have a shortcut? Would it be simlar to the way you count the 5s on Rhythmic Horizons? I've been doing that for some time with odd time signatures, but with odd subdivisions it's very confusing spacing the beats equally! Some examples would be great!

Thanks for your time, your drumming on that DVD has blown my away!

Matt
Old 02-25-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Hey Gavin,

I know you're getting flooded with questions, but I hope you can find time to answer mine! I have Rhythmic Illusions and have just got the Rhythmic Horizona DVD, but they do not tell me how to count odd 'tuplets' i.e. in a Rhythmic scale, how would you count an elevenlet as the tempo increases? Or in a type 3 modulation using septuplets? Do you count all the beats, or do you have a shortcut? Would it be simlar to the way you count the 5s on Rhythmic Horizons? I've been doing that for some time with odd time signatures, but with odd subdivisions it's very confusing spacing the beats equally! Some examples would be great!

Thanks for your time, your drumming on that DVD has blown my away!

Matt
I've come across a ton of odd subdivisions in my orchestral snare studies and the way I have been taught is to not count all the notes, but to be aware of your hands. You feel the down beats and, provided your sticking is straight, your right and left hands will alternate down beats. From there, it is just a matter of knowing what a seven sounds like and what a 5 sounds like, etc. using a metronome and praticing at very slow tempos is where you need to start.

when it comes to syncopating odd subdivisions, the only thing i can suggest to you is to treat the rhythm as if the rests are notes, but not play them; sorta like how when many drummers play '1e a', the left plays both 'e' and 'a.'
Old 02-25-2008, 04:49 PM

Default About your drum kit..

Dear Sir:
I've been searhing for the technical specifications of you Sonor drum kit (well, at least the one you use at the "arriving somewhere" DVD) without success. Where can I find that precious information? Ok, Im not making a copy of it, hehe, but Im beggining to think that you choice is one of my best options to what I need.
Anyways, thank you very much for your time.

P.S. We miss Porcupine Tree here in Spain!!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Re: About your drum kit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangarunya View Post
Dear Sir:
I've been searhing for the technical specifications of you Sonor drum kit (well, at least the one you use at the "arriving somewhere" DVD) without success. Where can I find that precious information? Ok, Im not making a copy of it, hehe, but Im beggining to think that you choice is one of my best options to what I need.
Anyways, thank you very much for your time.

P.S. We miss Porcupine Tree here in Spain!!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison

I'm pretty sure he has said that the description on this page is accurate.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:22 PM

Default Re: About your drum kit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangarunya View Post
Dear Sir:
I've been searhing for the technical specifications of you Sonor drum kit
This should help too:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...6&postcount=75
Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi drumher,

For me your improvisations within a song (e.g. Hatesong on the DVD or Way Out of Here) sound great and really individual and not constructed but very musically. So I can´t really imagine that those things come up to your mind in the present moment(?) Is it like this or before an impro-part do you have something like a plan?

I usually have a plan about two seconds before that section begins. I do improvise the whole thing as it unfolds. Of course if you compared night against night you would hear some phrases and themes are repeated - but I never play exactly the same thing...I wouldn't be able to remember it.

Hi XboxIsAGodToMe,

Are you familiar with the tour Mike Portnoy put together, The Progressive Nation tour?

No - I haven't heard of it until now.

Well, anyway, my question is, would there be a chance of Porcupine Tree, or even, dare I say, GH05 playing Progressive Nation next time around?

I can't see that happening in the near future. PT are basically taking a lot of time off this year - and GH05 isn't an 'up and running' band right now.

Hi tripod,

I have Rhythmic Illusions and have just got the Rhythmic Horizona DVD, but they do not tell me how to count odd 'tuplets' i.e. in a Rhythmic scale, how would you count an elevenlet as the tempo increases? Or in a type 3 modulation using septuplets? Do you count all the beats, or do you have a shortcut? Would it be simlar to the way you count the 5s on Rhythmic Horizons?

Yes, on the Rhythmic Horizons DVD there's a chapter called "Polyrhythmic Theory" - I do have a kind of short cut and I explain how I count odd groups (or tuplets) in that chapter. The two I deal with there are 5's & 7's but you can expand that exact same theory for 9's and 11's if you want.

A group of 5 I pick out 1 & 3 of every 5.
Like this Da - Da - -

A group of 7 I pick out 1, 3 & 5 of every 7
Like this Da - Da - Da - -

A group of 9 I pick out 1,3,5 & 7 of every 9
Like this Da - Da - Da - Da - -

A group of 11 I pick out 1,3,5,7 & 9 of every 11
Like this Da - Da - Da - Da - Da - -

Hi Sangarunya,

I've been searhing for the technical specifications of you Sonor drum kit (well, at least the one you use at the "arriving somewhere" DVD) without success. Where can I find that precious information?

Yes, as NeuroAxis and Sol Good point out there's some accurate info at those locations - but the kit on that DVD is my set in America - a blue Sonor DeLight and I use the Black Steel 14x5 snare drum with an Emperor X head on the top.

Cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 02-25-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:09 AM

Gavin -

Looking through that Wikipedia page I noticed your Z Custom China isn't listed anywhere. Did you not use this one on the Tour of a Blank Planet? I only ask because it is one of my favorite chinas ever made and almost no pros other than you use it (that I know of).
Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 PM

Hi Gavin. Just curious if you've heard of the Canadian drummer Rick Gratton and also
if you studied his book "Rick's Licks". If so, what did you think of his book. I just bought it but as of yet, haven't tried any exercises in it. Hopefully later today.. :-) The book has been out quite a number of years.

glen
Old 02-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

sorry for asking again for the beaters:
Are that this beaters:
http://www.massmusic.net/shop/images/13438.jpg

?
thank you
Old 02-26-2008, 07:01 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi NeuroAxis,

Looking through that Wikipedia page I noticed your Z Custom China isn't listed anywhere. Did you not use this one on the Tour of a Blank Planet?

I did use that china on the tour - and I've corrected Wikipedia.

Hi glen thomas,

Just curious if you've heard of the Canadian drummer Rick Gratton and also
if you studied his book "Rick's Licks".

Yes I know Rick - he sent me his book many years ago.

Hi Kalma,

yes those are the same beaters. They're standard with the Sonor pedals I believe.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin,

sry for the many posts I'm doing but can you make a photo of how you colored it? I'm very interested