DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-22-2007, 01:12 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi fearofflying,

I'm glad you like my new CD with 05Ric - thanks for the kind words.

Hi s0nspark,

20" kick
10", 8", 13" 15" mounted toms (in that order left to right, 2 up, 2 down)
13" primary snare (medium tuning)
12" secondary piccolo snare (high tuning)

They're quite strange sizes to me - although I really like a 15x13 as a floor tom. I don't know if the 13 will - I've never tried it.

Hi ItalianRicky,

I need some informations:
1 - have yout cutted away some snares on that drum?
2 - you've mounted an emperor coated, right?
3 - you'll keep this snare with an high pitch?

Unusually for me - I still use the original 24 strand snare wires on that drum. I use a coated Ambassador - tuned to (what I would describe as) medium pitch.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-22-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
They're quite strange sizes to me - although I really like a 15x13 as a floor tom. I don't know if the 13 will - I've never tried it.
Yes, admittedly they are a little "nonstandard" :-) The idea for those tom sizes came straight from the kit Dave Weckl used to play with the first few incarnations of Chick Corea's Electric Band and on his first instructional tape (Back To Basics?)...

Really, I'd like to get a full set of toms, 8" to 16", a 20" and 22" or 24" bass drum and then assemble a 6-7 peice kit as the gig/session requires but... that is a lot more money than I have to spend and carting that stuff around would most likely kill me :-) Oh well.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope to catch PT live sometime soon...

Cheers,
s0nspark
Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 AM

Gavin,

I have read you use 13" K hi hats but I have also heard that you use 14" hats. My question is which size hi-hats do you primarily use, and why do you prefer that size?

Also, which ride do you use when you play live? Just a standard K ride or K custom, etc?

Thanks in advance,

Brent

Last edited by gibeachhead; 10-22-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:02 AM

Hi there. Porcupine Tree in Toronto was incredible! Three was pretty impressive too.

My Question:

What kind of sticks do you use?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:08 AM

Hi kellycurrie
how are you i think that is "vic firth rock"
Oval tip for a full sound. Great for rock and band.
L=16 5/8", Dia.=.630"
this is very beaufiful drum stick

Angelo

Hi Gavin
How are you
i look your video and see a structure isolate around drum.
can you say about this?
I have a 10x20mt
room with natural reverb but often i can isolate this

many thanks Gavin good work
Angelo
Old 10-22-2007, 06:28 PM

Hi Gavin,

I am a recent fan of yours and Porcupine Tree. I recently watched the Cymbal Song video and really liked it. Do you have anything else similar in plans for anything in the near future? Which cymbals did you use on that song?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 PM

Hi Gavin,

What percentage of the time would you say you're touring verses working in the studio (looking back over the last few years)? Also, how important is it to stay healthy on tours like the one you're on? They are long tours and you're always "moving"! It's got to be draining, right?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi s0nspark,

Really, I'd like to get a full set of toms, 8" to 16", a 20" and 22" or 24" bass drum and then assemble a 6-7 peice kit as the gig/session requires

That's what I like to do if possible - get all the tom sizes. Occasionally the 13 or 15 comes in handy.

Hi gibeachhead,

I have read you use 13" K hi hats but I have also heard that you use 14" hats. My question is which size hi-hats do you primarily use, and why do you prefer that size?

I've been playing 13"s for many years - before that I used 12" ReMix hats. I really like the 13" K hats.

Also, which ride do you use when you play live? Just a standard K ride or K custom,

Just a standard 20" K Ride.

Hi kellycurrie,

What kind of sticks do you use?

As Angelo kindly mentioned they are Vic Firth Hickory "Rock".

Hi Angelo,

i look your video and see a structure isolate around drum- can you say about this?.

Yes they are professional isolation panels - I bought them from a studio supplier. They help me keep a close dry sound if I need it.

Hi Tazdrummer,

I recently watched the Cymbal Song video and really liked it. Do you have anything else similar in plans for anything in the near future? Which cymbals did you use on that song?

Have you seen it on my DVD "Rhythmic Horizons" or the Porcupine Tree "Arriving Somewhere" DVD?
On my DVD there's a Drum Song film too. I can't remember which exact Zildjian cymbals I used on that film without watching it - and I don't have a copy of it with me.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Hi Gavin,
I'm a recent fan of yours since I went with a friend of mine (great drummer) to the recent Raleigh NC show 10-11-07. I watched some drummerworld.com videos of yours and a live performance PT DVD before going to the show that night. Based on the various videos I saw, I have to admit that I was really looking forward to hearing you play live. I have to say, you certainly did not disappoint. You were so great and tasteful that my friend and I were giddy like little girls. I immediately went out and bought anything I could of your work. I thoroughly enjoyed the show. LOVE your bell cymbals. The opening band was also fantastic. I'm ashamed to say I can't remember the name of the band. Three???

You are, in my mind, one of the most talented drummers out there and the whole band is superb also.

- I heard you were also in a fusion band. If so, is it on sale and what is the name of the band.

Thanks so much

-Ted
Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Hi Tazdrummer,

I recently watched the Cymbal Song video and really liked it. Do you have anything else similar in plans for anything in the near future? Which cymbals did you use on that song?

Have you seen it on my DVD "Rhythmic Horizons" or the Porcupine Tree "Arriving Somewhere" DVD?
On my DVD there's a Drum Song film too. I can't remember which exact Zildjian cymbals I used on that film without watching it - and I don't have a copy of it with me.

cheers
Gavin
I saw it on the Arriving Somewhere DVD. There looks as if there is a big 16 inch or so china, a 6 and/or 8 inch splash or bell, a 12 inch or so china, a 20 inch or so ride, and maybe a 16 or 18 inch crash?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Hi Stu,
Yes the Zildjian config is correct in a way. It doesn't show all the other alternatives that I have and use. The ride that I use on heavier stuff is a late 1940's Avedis ride with a really nice bell. I use a K Ride 20" when I play live with Porcupine Tree, and the Constantinople in the studio in lighter music. They're really beautiful cymbals the Constantinoples I don't don't want to play them too hard.

Cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin, ive been desperately trying to find something comparable to your teachers old ride (without paying 2k!)..i know you're with zildjian but would you say this dream contact or bliss 20' would do the job?. I dont like the new Armand because its too sweet for my liking. Really want something with a clear seperated bell and the body with little ping but definition for jazz fusion/prog metal.

http://www.dmdrums.co.uk/Dream.htm

Cheersa

Last edited by TomasHakkesBrain; 10-23-2007 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazdrummer View Post
I saw it on the Arriving Somewhere DVD. There looks as if there is a big 16 inch or so china, a 6 and/or 8 inch splash or bell, a 12 inch or so china, a 20 inch or so ride, and maybe a 16 or 18 inch crash?

i suppose that are 16" or 15" K crash and a 17" in front of him...And the most right crash seems to be a 18" A custom crash...i don't know if it is an projection or a fast...
The big china at gavin's right is a Z custom china, near the 12" oriental trash chinese and
The K 20" ride.
On Gavin's left we have K 13" hats, 14" oriental china (or 16", i'm not sure)
and the tingle cups.
Splashes...i dunno, maybe 8" and 10" K or A custom splashes?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:15 PM

Hey Gavin,

Hope things are going well on tour. Myself and the Keyboard player from Little Atlas (if you have not checked them out you may like them if you like early Genesis etc..) will see and you and PT tonight in Cinci. It will be my 1st PT show and I look very forward to it. Are you guys playing Hate Song tonight ?

P.S

Try some Cinci Style Chili while your in town if you like that sort of thing. They are known to have the best around. Skyline and Goldstar chili parlors are plentifull in Cinci.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:58 PM

Gavin,

Was last night a typical performance ? Seems to me that you guys were really in to it as was everyone in attendance. I am glad you guys had such a good turn out because I know that it can help fuel the band.

No hate song but oh well because I heard quite a few tunes that were new to me that may have become new favs. Looked like you were playing with controlled abandon last night. Were you improvising a lot ? I dont know if its just the buzz left over from a good concert or what but I have say that I think I saw the best live drum performance of my life last night. I am insipired big time. I hit the drums the moment I got home..... Thanks for the great show....

What was the 2nd song ? You were cracking a smile at the other guys like something happened. I didnt hear anything weird. Just curious..
Old 10-24-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Drummer View Post
What was the 2nd song ? You were cracking a smile at the other guys like something happened. I didnt hear anything weird. Just curious..

Gavin and the fellers will always look at each other and laugh randomly during shows, just goes to show the bond they share, its hilarious for no reason :)
Old 10-24-2007, 07:04 PM

I read on a forum that people thought a couple of the songs (Blackest Eyes bieng one of them) were faster some nights and then slower other nights. I didn't have the heart to tell them that they were the same tempo every night. I guess that's people's perception.

cheers
Gavin[/quote]
.................................................. .................................................. ........................

Strange as it may sound I've had the experience of thinking the click I use live slowed down or sped up on different nights even though I know it's always exactly the same tempo. Maybe it has to do with mood, adrenalin, anticipation or nerves which I personally still suffer from.

.................................................. .................................................. .......................
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JeffV71,

What percentage of the time would you say you're touring verses working in the studio (looking back over the last few years)? Also, how important is it to stay healthy on tours like the one you're on? They are long tours and you're always "moving"! It's got to be draining, right?

I would say that I've been touring a lot more than recording over the last few years. I try to stay healthy on tour - I don't get drunk and I try my best to eat reasonable things - but it's very random. I do get run down the longer the tour goes on because you never really get a proper night's sleep - and inevitably catch a cold somewhere along the way.

Hi mottnt,
glad you enjoyed the show so much - yes the opening band are called "Three" and they really kick ass!!!!

Hi TomasHakkesBrain,

ive been desperately trying to find something comparable to your teachers old ride (without paying 2k!)..i know you're with zildjian but would you say this dream contact or bliss 20' would do the job?

I can never tell with cymbals until I've played them for a couple of weeks in different situations. I got really lucky with that old ride - but I'd have loved it anyway for sentimental reasons.

Hi Liquid_Drummer,

Looked like you were playing with controlled abandon last night. Were you improvising a lot ? I dont know if its just the buzz left over from a good concert or what but I have say that I think I saw the best live drum performance of my life last night. I am insipired big time.

Thanks - I actually felt like I didn't really have a great night myself. Yes I improvised quite a bit last night and didn't think all of it was really that happening. That's all part of the journey if you set out to improvise. Some things might turn out good and others might not. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-24-2007, 11:22 PM

Well Gavin your "not so great night" left me slackjawed more times that I can count. I would have to say that you were right on track and I didnt hear anything that didnt work. Your fills felt right for what was going on and it was inspiring to see how you are able to play so busy yet stay out of the way in all the right places..The way you subdivide fills and come back right on the money just amazed me time and time again.

I really have not given much of the stuff previous to you joining a chance because your drumming in the framework of PT I found to be exactly what I like to hear. Perfect synergy IMHO. There are so many albums previous to you joining. Any suggestions ?

Last edited by Liquid_Drummer; 10-24-2007 at 11:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-24-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Drummer View Post
Well Gavin your "not so great night" left me slackjawed more times that I can count. The way you subdivide fills and come back right on the money just amazed me time and time again. I will come see you guys everytime you come near Louisville, Ky from now on. I really have not given much of the stuff previous to you joining a chance because your drumming in the framework of PT I found to be exactly what I like to hear. Perfect synergy IMHO. There are so many albums previous to you joining. Any suggestions ?
Dude get PTs earlier work, its SOOO GOOD! And when Steven Wilson went back and remastered the earlier albums, Gavin did drumming for some of the sky moves sideways and I believe all of Up the Downstair. You can recognize Gavin's playing, and its awesome! Adds so much more to the original track.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 PM

Gavin plays on some of the remasters ? Sweet...
Old 10-26-2007, 02:12 AM

Hey Gavin!

Thank you so much for all the time and support you've given to this forum. It's really great to see someone of your calibur giving advice to the fans. It's much appreciated.

I'm wondering what kind of recording equipment you use in your home studio. I'm interested in getting into the production aspect of things, and right now my recording tools are quite poor. In particular, what kind of mixer are you using? Thanks so much. Your drumming is a constant inspiration!

Alex

P.S. You easily have the best sounding drums in the business. Truly amazing!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 PM

Hi Gavin
I look in acoustic sciences corporation site another professional isolation this is a tube traps what you think about of this?

http://www.acousticsciences.com/tubetrap.htm
Many professional engineers used this in studio
Gavin I like me to see you soon in Taormina
good work
thanks a lot
Angelo
Old 10-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollMyCoaster13 View Post
Hey Gavin!

I'm wondering what kind of recording equipment you use in your home studio. In particular, what kind of mixer are you using?
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...&postcount=796

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct9...readerzone.htm
Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Ok, i got some questions for Gavin...

First off all , love your drumming. I can't really pick my favorite drummer but if someone was to point a gun to my head i think you would be a way to go...

First question, why doesn't Porcupine Tree visit Serbia?

Second question, which exercise would you recommend for double bass and feet in general?

Third question, what do you think would be the best way to improve my coordination around the kit?

Thanx in advance!!!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

Hi again Gavin!

I am going to talk about you and Porcupine Tree in school in a couple of days. I have decided to use the song Halo as an example of the great vocals, the "wise" lyrics, and the awesome drumming of Porcupine Tree. Any interessting information about that track that you could tell me? I know the instrumental part is in 17/8. ;)
And, do you know why the band is called Porcupine Tree? I guess it was Stevens idea back then, but did he ever tell you why?

It's so awesome that you take the time to answer these questions!
Cheers!
Old 10-27-2007, 08:19 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Inngwar,

First question, why doesn't Porcupine Tree visit Serbia?

I guess because a promoter hasn't invited us there yet.

Second question, which exercise would you recommend for double bass and feet in general?

That's a hard question because I don't really think of myself as a double bass drum player. I usually just do short bursts of 2,3,4 or 5 notes at a time. I try to find spaces in fills to put the 'short bursts' into.

Third question, what do you think would be the best way to improve my coordination around the kit?

It depends what level you are at now. Recently I've been trying to pedal 'off' 16th notes with my left foot on the hi hat - that is just the "e" + "a" of every four 16ths and then improvise around the drums with my other 3 limbs. I'm sure there's some great coordination books out there - "The New Breed" by Gary Chester is very good.

Hi figure_02,

Any interessting information about that track that you could tell me? I know the instrumental part is in 17/8. ;)
And, do you know why the band is called Porcupine Tree?

I remember that the composing process started with that 17/8 idea which I had already worked out a few months beforehand. After that Richard started with the white noise sequencer and we just jammed along. It came together quite quickly.
I've never know where the name Porcupine Tree comes from...and Steve won't tell anyone either.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 PM

hi gavin,
i can't stop listening to nil recurring particularly what happens now...at 5:17 starts this rhythmic illusion which sounds absolutely amazing so i tried to figure out what is going on there but i'm not quite sure if i'm on the right track...so you play in 7/8 colin plays in 7/8 too and the guitars are 5/8 or 6/8?...can you shed some light on this section please?

another thing which i'm curious about: can you tell me in which pt songs you use polyrhythms?

Last edited by 12:5; 10-28-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

12:5,
He explained that a couple pages back, here you go:

Quote:
It starts with a guitar in 5/8 and then I play in 7/8 with the bass drum & snare drum - on top of that I play a dotted 8th note on the ride cymbal. The bass joins in with a pattern in 7/8 (chords change every 4 bars) and the keys and guitars join in the dotted 8th note. Eventually that dotted 8th becomes an 8th note in 12/8 as we modulate into a different feel. Make sense?

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-29-2007, 04:30 AM

Hey, Gavin, great show at the Meridian last night. You really played well. The whole band seems looser (I mean that in a good way, not that the music isn't tight!) than last time y'all were here. I was happy to see a significantly higher turnout too. I'm really digging the "Drop" CD.

Thanks for coming to Houston and thanks for all you do.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:52 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've been doing the subdivision excercices you do on your Rhythmic Visions DVD.

And I was wondering if you have some kind of trick or method of playing the 'odd' subdivisions. Where do you focus on to know your 'subdivide' correct?

I sometimes find it hard to get 'started' to play some certain subdivisions, especially the 5's ,7's, 11's.
Once I get it it's easy to play them, but before getting there I have to speed up or slow down to subdivide correct and line-up with the click.

The 6's, 9's and 12's I derive from the 3's (triplets), so they're easier to get right.

I , for example with the 5's, count the 'leading' hand strokes 1, 2 and then
make the switch to the other hand.

1 2_ 1 2_ 1 2_ 1
R R R R R R R R
_L L L L L L L L

Greetings,
Dre
Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 PM

Gavin,

I too was at the Houston show and I double the comments Johnny said.

Porcupine Tree, and your performances with them, are a huge inspiration to me.

I also picked up a copy of "Drop" and I am enjoying it immensely.

Add PASIC '08 (Austin Tx) to your schedule next year, would ya?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:49 AM

Hey Gavin!
I loved your performance at Voodoo Fest! (It reminded me of why you're my favorite drummer!) One quick question: what kind of tom heads did you use on your DVD Rhythmic Horizons (the camouflage set)?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 AM
Silver Member

Gavin,
I was at the Dallas show and it was awesome! Great songs, great performance, great drumming. Also the sound there was really good, I was impressed. The only thing I would have changed is I wish you'd played Hatesong, but I really can't complain. Thanks for the experience. Also, 3 was really good. I'll have to get one of their albums.
If anyone is interested, here's the setlist:

Fear of a Blank Planet
What Happens Now?
The Sound of Muzak
Lazarus
Nil Recurring
Anesthetize
Dark Matter
Open Car
Blackest Eyes
Half-light
Way Out of Here
Sleep Together
[Encore:]
Trains
Even Less
Halo

Last edited by hauk; 10-30-2007 at 03:14 AM. Reason: prettify
Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drizzle,

I sometimes find it hard to get 'started' to play some certain subdivisions, especially the 5's ,7's, 11's.
Once I get it it's easy to play them, but before getting there I have to speed up or slow down to subdivide correct and line-up with the click.

I know what you mean - and I think the more you do them the easier they get. You just know how much to speed up or slow down until they slot into place. I try and sing the odd subdivision to myself (over a straight 4/4 beat) just before I have to play it.

Hi Johnny, Shane G, Joe P and Hauk,
thanks for the kind comments about the Porcupine Tree live show. I enjoyed it too. Hope you make to see us again in the future.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 PM

I'm soo mad I missed you guys in Atlantic City, especially after reading the setlist that was just posted for Dallas. I really wanna see you guys play The Sound of Muzak live! (I have the Arriving Somewhere dvd, but it's just not enough!) I will definitely be there for your next tour around the states, hopefully supporting a new album **HINT HINT**. You are one hell of a drummer! Now if only I could just understand time as well as you!
Best Regards!,
Josh
Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Hey Gavin, sorry to ask for another one of your licks, but your fills are so good I cant help it! I was wondering if you or anyone else on here could transcribe the fill thats around the 5 min. mark on Fear of a Blank Planet. I love the feel of it, but I cant seem to figure it out.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:53 AM

Hi Gavin,
Just a quick note to express how much my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the PT show in Atlanta, Monday night. You guys sounded phenomenal! Your tasteful playing will never go out of style. I learn volumes every time I see and/or hear you. Thanks for the inspiration to get off my rear and practice. My wife commented several times during and after the show on the beautiful sound of your kit.

I'm currently listening to and loving yours and Ric's disc that I picked up at the show. What a sublime musical experience: nice work.

Clint
Old 10-31-2007, 01:23 AM

Hey Gavin, sorry to ask for another one of your licks, but your fills are so good I cant help it! I was wondering if you or anyone else on here could transcribe the fill thats around the 5 min. mark on Fear of a Blank Planet. I love the feel of it, but I cant seem to figure it out

Hi Franklin,
Someone asked the same question on the HOD-forum, he explains it there.

Here's the link House Of Drumming Forum

Cheers,
Dre
Old 10-31-2007, 01:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Thanks man! THats perfect actually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Hey Gavin, sorry to ask for another one of your licks, but your fills are so good I cant help it! I was wondering if you or anyone else on here could transcribe the fill thats around the 5 min. mark on Fear of a Blank Planet. I love the feel of it, but I cant seem to figure it out

Hi Franklin,
Someone asked the same question on the HOD-forum, he explains it there.

Here's the link House Of Drumming Forum

Cheers,
Dre
Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 AM

hi gavin, had a wonderful time at the PT show at houston. you pretty much rocked all night and I hope I can meet you again.

I wanted to ask you, do you have a high resolution of your kit (driver's seat) you could share? would love to have it as a wallpaper in my PC.

Thanks Gavin. And I'm loving Drop. It reminds me of Jakko Jackzik's latest album...a cross between that and King Crimson with Trey Gunn. Thanks for autograph as well!!

Keep up rockin'!