DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-02-2007, 11:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi davling

what program do you use when programming click?

I use Logic Pro on a Mac computer.

Hi angelo,

Have you tried to use a 10"or other china or crash with jingles?. What do you think about?
This is another experiment i like the sound with double bass and 10" china with jingles.
I like a china sound and i have: 10", 12",14" and 20" china.
Have you a 8 "hi hat? You describe to me as you have obtained it

I've never tried a 10" china with jingles. I have used two 8" splash cymbals as hi hats - and they're good fun to play.

Hi Gibbersticks,

I'm guessing your show is too big a production to do the whole 5 guys in a van thing.

Yes you are correct. We're more like 11 guys in a big expensive tour bus and trailer.

Hi lorneyc

I'm wondering about that crazy fill in Anethsetize at about 6:13. I suspect it's something fairly simple, but it sounds amazing, what is it? Also the heavy double kicks part at 11:04, what's the pattern there? It doesn't sound like constant 16ths or 32nds or whatever.

That fill in Anethetize is this - it's basically groupings of 5..

Name:  Anesthetize2.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  34.8 KB

The middle section is this...it repeats every three beats but you play it over 4/4

Name:  Mosh section.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  41.1 KB

Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-03-2007, 02:03 PM

Cheers Gavin, thanks for being so friendly to us all and putting up with endless questions. This is exactly why the internet is such a great thing! Can't wait to see you guys when you finally come to Australia. Also, I just got a copy of Rhythmic Illusions at the Australian Drummers Weekend last Sunday, it's brilliant. If I can every apply the concepts in there as musically as you do though, I'll be a very happy man. Cheers :-) Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
I used a closed hi hat "Dixon" for two 8" splash as hi hat. But i have a big problem, becouse the bell of splash is small and the cluch it blinks on the bolt, to block the bottom splash.
I think I understand your problem - you need to put extra felts underneath the bottom hi hat cymbal - then the clutch won't hit the plastic sleeve.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-03-2007, 04:49 PM

Hi Gavin, proud fan fo some of your stuff, not to terribly familiar aside from what I've seen here at Drummerworld and the lunatic ravings of some of my friends. I don't listen to much music aside from what I am working on.
Nonetheless, you've done a tremendous job raising the bar for us in the field. . .Thanks, pal.

One question I have is would you be able to advise one on a portable metronomic device that has the memory to program in detail comparable to the software you've mentioned in your Sound on Sound article. I am looking for something I can carry in a back pack, program numerous (30-40) individual tracks with various time changes.

By the way the protion of the article regarding 16th note click for the Monkees tune was
fun. . .Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:37 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi rockitman,

I have used a Boss DR 660 drum machine for many years. You can program all the clicks want. It's not as easy as doing it on a computer but it is possible. You can name the songs and recall them as you wish. Unfortunately the memory gets a bit slim after a while and there's no back light - but a very reliable box. The more up to date DR770 looks like a newer version of it - but I haven't tried it.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 08-04-2007 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:43 PM

Hi Master!!
Can i ask when will he come in italy??
Also for a clinc :)
Good work Master!!

Fabio
Old 08-04-2007, 01:03 PM

Hi Gavin! Iy;s so cool, you taught my drum teacher, and he's teaching me! I love your videos and you are a great all-round drummer.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:28 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Can i ask when will he come in italy??
Also for a clinc :)
There's a good chance that PT will play Italy in November - check for dates at porcupinetree.com when they are confirmed.

I made 12 clinics in Italy at the start of this year - so I don't think I'll be doing any more for some time.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Oook master :) thanx for WONDERFUL answer!!
Yes i know of your clinics in Italy :( :( :( :( :( :( :( that nearer was in Rieti.. i remember :( :( :( :(
But i could not be there.. :( :( i was really sorry..
But you have given me a very beautiful news!!!!!
Yes i keep up-to-date with the site!! suuuureee!!!!!
I don't believe my ears!! :):):):):):):):):):):)
Good work Master!!
BesT WisHes!! :P
Old 08-04-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Gavin

I think I understand your problem - you need to put extra felts underneath the bottom hi hat cymbal - then the clutch won't hit the plastic sleeve.
I have a "Dixon" remote hi hat, this, don't have a plastic sleeve. Can you say which model hi-hat remote you used?
thanks of your time and thanks a lot.

Angelo
Old 08-05-2007, 08:09 PM

Hi Gavin,

I read somewhere that you usually play single strokes while double bassing. Though, for Mother and Child devided, it sounds like you are using double strokes with only the right (as the left is used for the hihat?). Is this true?

Also, at the heavier bit on the end of Way out of here, I hear a lot going on in the drums. Some stuff on the toms, hihat, bassdrum, snare and lots of cymbals. Are the cymbals overdubs as I can hear more then 4 sounds at once?

Please come back to the netherlands at the end of the year if possible ! Looking forward to see you guys again (and hope to be frontrow this time...) and it seems that the dutch shows are always sold out...

(I think prog really lives here in Holland as bands like Marillion are also always sold out)
Old 08-05-2007, 09:01 PM

Hey!

I recently got into PT when I first heard FOABP a couple months ago. I was blown away by both the music and your intelligently tasteful and technical drumming (that combination is hard to find)! You guys are really intelligent musicians who know how to use advanced musical concepts to great MUSICAL EFFECT.

My question is what is the name of the fusion tune you played at Musikmesse Frankfurt that is on this website (it's the 3rd one and full of all those mean horn unisons). That is a sick tune- where can I find it?

And a selfish request- please please please continue to play all of FOABP on the second US leg you guys are going to be doing- I'm gunna road trip to catch you guys in New York. I'm definitely going to start digging deep into the PT catalogue but I am afraid I don't have too much time to digest more of PT material before the show ;).

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the fans and drum community! It's very admirable.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi angelo,

I have a "Dixon" remote hi hat, this, don't have a plastic sleeve. Can you say which model hi-hat remote you used?

I don't use a remote hi hat - I just put the 8" splash cymbals on to a regular Sonor hi hat stand. I'm not familiar with the Dixon remote hi hat so I can't really help you with it.

Hi SantiBanks,

I read somewhere that you usually play single strokes while double bassing. Though, for Mother and Child devided, it sounds like you are using double strokes with only the right (as the left is used for the hihat?). Is this true?

Both feet are on the double pedal throughout the whole song - I close the hi hat tight with the Cobra Clutch. Yes, I played all the triplet (leading on to the one of the next bar) bass drum parts RLRL.

Also, at the heavier bit on the end of Way out of here, I hear a lot going on in the drums. Some stuff on the toms, hihat, bassdrum, snare and lots of cymbals. Are the cymbals overdubs as I can hear more then 4 sounds at once?

There are no overdubs at all - so there can't be a moment where there's more than four sound simultaneously. Where exactly do you hear it?

Hi flugadaflum,

My question is what is the name of the fusion tune you played at Musikmesse Frankfurt that is on this website (it's the 3rd one and full of all those mean horn unisons). That is a sick tune- where can I find it?

That tune is called "Quite Firm" by Laurence Cottle (who also plays the bass on that track). You can find it on my first DVD "Rhythmic Visions"

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-06-2007, 01:41 PM

Hi Gavin. How are things? ;-) I haven't been here in a while but I am glad to see that you're still posting and answering questions for all of us. That is very very cool and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate that "very much" along with your dedication to drumming and music in general. I wish more drummers would get involved like you do. Thanks for the article on click tracks by the way. :-)

Just a few quick questions :-) Forgive me if they've been asked before.

First, are you still using Axis pedals and if so, did you find them hard to dial in
to your liking, and..... do you find them durable?

Second, are there any plans for a drum transcription book of your work with Porcupine
Tree similar to the Wheeler books for Rush?

Third.. Do you give lessons via the internet? :-) *wink wink*

Oh by the way, I'm still playing the heck out of the latest PT album
and the live DVD.

All the best Gavin!!!

glen thomas
Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi glen thomas,

First, are you still using Axis pedals and if so, did you find them hard to dial in
to your liking, and..... do you find them durable?

I found them easy to dial in the kind of action I wanted. They are very durable...it's just me that's not very durable. The only trouble I've had is snapping the stem of the (Pearl) beater. It happened on the last tour - so I had to switch to playing the right foot on the left pedal whilst my tech changed the beater. I guess that's me putting too much force into the hits.

Second, are there any plans for a drum transcription book of your work with Porcupine
Tree similar to the Wheeler books for Rush?

Not at the moment - although I am collecting little transcriptions from here and there - and hoping to put them up on a site soon.

Third.. Do you give lessons via the internet? :-) *wink wink*

No. Sorry

Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-06-2007, 06:47 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Here's a bit of my past coming back to haunt me.

Along with many great live recordings of Gary Husband - there is the whole of my last gig with Level 42 at the Brighton Dome in 1994 lower down the page...

http://www.level42dk.dk/download.php

Enjoy - I'm sure it will get taken down soon.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Gavin[/quote]

Hi Gavin, I stumbled upon the youtube musicmesse videos, and like many others on this forum, I too have been completely blown away by your magically creative and effortless playing. Was curious to know who were your strongest music/drum influences that helped create your sound and playing style.

Apologise, if youve covered this elsewhere...I couldnt find it.

thanks.

Aydee
Old 08-06-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Both feet are on the double pedal throughout the whole song - I close the hi hat tight with the Cobra Clutch. Yes, I played all the triplet (leading on to the one of the next bar) bass drum parts RLRL.
Ahh so thats what the cobra clutch does ! I checked it out at the tama website and it seems like a very handy piece of gear. It does explain a lot more now.
Awesome song and it certainly rocks live ! I almost thought you guys wouldn't play it in Amsterdam (as there where some other instrumentals in there too like dot3)

Quote:
There are no overdubs at all - so there can't be a moment where there's more than four sound simultaneously. Where exactly do you hear it?
Its after the heavy bits on the end. Around 6:28 and further. Truly a piece of art and awesome genious stuff anyways...
Old 08-07-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Here's a bit of my past coming back to haunt me.

Along with many great live recordings of Gary Husband - there is the whole of my last gig with Level 42 at the Brighton Dome in 1994 lower down the page...

Enjoy - I'm sure it will get taken down soon.

cheers
Gavin

thanks for that Gavin - and nice to hear all that stuff.

One Question though - there was a show the day after as well at the London RAH - were you repleaced for that one? or did it never go on (the "official" L42 site also mentions this gig and it seems kinda hard to believe you were replaced on that VERY last gig)

cheers & keep up the good work!
Eric
Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi adyee,

Was curious to know who were your strongest music/drum influences that helped create your sound and playing style.

I think I have mentioned it before - but I understand the problem of looking back over 40 pages. (I hope to have a solution to this soon).

When I was growing up I listened to Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro mostly - but also Stewart Copeland, Billy Cobham, John Guerin, Steve Schaeffer, Steve Jansen, Vinnie Colaiuta and many others I can't think of at the moment.

Hi SantiBanks,

Its after the heavy bits on the end. Around 6:28 and further (of "Way Out Of Here").

There's no overdubs there either - it's all one part. It's a bit of an octopus drum pattern - glad you liked it.

Hi erictak,

One Question though - there was a show the day after as well at the London RAH - were you repleaced for that one?

well spotted - yes it was my penultimate show with Level 42 - I did play at the Albert Hall the next and that was the last show I did.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:

I think I have mentioned it before - but I understand the problem of looking back over 40 pages. (I hope to have a solution to this soon).

When I was growing up I listened to Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro mostly - but also Stewart Copeland, Billy Cobham, John Guerin, Steve Schaeffer, Steve Jansen, Vinnie Colaiuta and many others I can't think of at the moment.

Hi erictak,

One Question though - there was a show the day after as well at the London RAH - were you repleaced for that one?

well spotted - yes it was my penultimate show with Level 42 - I did play at the Albert Hall the next and that was the last show I did.

cheers
Gavin
thanks for clearing that up Gavin (and sorry for being a smartass anorak like that hehe)

good to read you mention Steve Jansen there with the likes of Cobham, Gadd etc. - it seems he never gets as much credit as I feel he deserves for his innovative use of the drums

cheers

Eric
Old 08-08-2007, 03:48 AM

Greetings to all the wonderful members/admins of drummerworld.com,

They made me (that's a biggie mind you!) step out of the shadows although I've been on and off the site for AGES. And what's more we have Gavin here with what can be only be described as a martyr's patience to answer out an ocean of questions, many of which have been repeated again and again..(yes, I read all 40+ pages of the thread..)

Now I've been burning to ask Gavin these simple questions myself:

What made you play the drums in the first place and made you devote yourself to the instrument?
How would you describe what drumming is all about to a person completely alien to the concept of drumming and rhythm?
In other words, what makes you tick as a drummer? :)

Many many thanks for a truly unique opportunity such as this.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM

Hi Gavin
You tried to use a "Trick" 007 strainer?. What do you think about? I watch trick drum site, and i think that it was interesting for my hand made keller-snare.I have a new experiment:
I have cut-down two 14"crash 8" and to lose weight from a famous Italian company of cymbals. This is a very beautiful 8"hi hat "very cool". Now i can use this with remote hi hat stand without problems.
Thanks for like features yours fan you are truly one special person.
thanks a lot
Angelo
Old 08-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Hi gavin im just wondering do you ever not play with a click. i have great jams with ed poole and he is always on about playing with loops and clicks. but sometimes its nice just to play freestyle and the click drives me mad. what click sounds do you use thats friendly to the ear. thanks Gavin all the best bago

http://www.myspace.com/petelumley
Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Hi Gavin!

You mentioned that many of your fills played live are improvised. Well how about hatesong on the "arriving somewhere" dvd? is that kind of solo in the end improvised too? and what about all these genious fills douring the song? (i really love it!)

oh, and you said there are some unconfirmed european shows in autumn? you won't come to austria, will you :)) ?? i already saw you guys in amsterdam (great show!!) but twice is always better than once!

ok that's it!
tobi
Old 08-08-2007, 01:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi daydr3am3r,

What made you play the drums in the first place and made you devote yourself to the instrument?

Pure love for the instrument. I started playing the trumpet when I was a kid - but it just wasn't right. I was naturally coordinated and took dance lessons when I was six years old - there was always something about rhythm that connected with me on a deep level.

How would you describe what drumming is all about to a person completely alien to the concept of drumming and rhythm?

Rhythm is all around us - it really is part of life quite literally. Once you tap in to it - it's very therapeutic.

Hi angelo,

You tried to use a "Trick" 007 strainer?. What do you think about?

I've never tried a Trick strainer so I can't tell you.

Hi bago

Hi gavin im just wondering do you ever not play with a click. i have great jams with ed poole and he is always on about playing with loops and clicks. but sometimes its nice just to play freestyle and the click drives me mad. what click sounds do you use thats friendly to the ear.

Yes of course I often play without clicks...but playing with one doesn't drive me mad. Have a look at post number 1141 on this thread (should be around page 33) there's some samples of the click sounds that I use. Say hi to Ed for me - he's one hell of a great bass player!!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 PM

hey, you forgot to answer my questions :) !
Old 08-09-2007, 06:00 AM

Gavin:

I was thrilled to see that you guys have added a Nashville date (Oct. 9) to the FoaBP tour. I drove to Chicago to see PT back in June because I was sure you weren't coming to see me down here, but now you're coming, and I'm a happy camper.

Do you guys drink beer? If so, I'm going to hook you up with a cooler of local bottled microbrews.

Can't wait for the show!

Tracey
Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM

Hi Master!!
I'm agree surely with the rhythm speech!! :)
You teach it to us.. and show it to the perfection, everytime that put your hands on drum!! :) :)

Master, one curiosity it's simply niiiicee :
In Live, Every time you do a feel, or a particular paradiddle on splash or some other your contraption (What I envy :P) i see Colin edwin smiiile :) Whyyy?? and it's fun :)

( IN MY OPINION HE IS PLEASED TO HEAR THAT CHARGE YOU GIVE HIM ) :) :) :) :)

GooD WorK Master!! and Good day!!

-!! LiStEn YoUr ViBeS !!-
Fabio
Old 08-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Hi Gavin, how are you?
I have created a many 14 "snare with round edge, with keller drum shell: 10ply7,6mm/8ply5mm/15ply1cm and last snare 14x5 - 4mm 6ply, this snare very thin shell, the sound very much dark one, but this have much more ring sound. I read many words around large air hole around snare:"Large air holes increase volume and attack, while reducing the tone of the shell sound". What do you think about? I read this in www.precisiondrum.com. You know other methods for muff'l the sound without to change the sound?
very very very thanks!! will be able a day I to reward you?......
Angelo
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 AM

Hey Gavin

What awesome news about the upcoming EP "Nil Recurring". I can't wait!!! Are you guys playing any of the 4 songs live at any of your shows? Oh how I love EPs!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:34 PM

Hi Gavin
How are you, can you say me disposition of your cup chimes low to high?

I have disposition this therefore: 1 3 2 4 5
1 it is lowest 5 it is highest
Thanks a lot
Angelo
Old 08-10-2007, 04:53 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi tobi283

You mentioned that many of your fills played live are improvised. Well how about hatesong on the "arriving somewhere" dvd? is that kind of solo in the end improvised too? and what about all these genious fills douring the song?
you won't come to austria, will you ?

Yes the ending on that song is always improvised, same with the fills during the song. There is a chance we may come to Austria - but wait until it is confirmed.

Hi Fabio,

In Live, Every time you do a feel, or a particular paradiddle on splash or some other your contraption (What I envy :P) i see Colin edwin smiiile :) Whyyy??

Colin tends to smile at anything, he walks around with that grin on his face most of the day - he must be a very happy person.

Hi angelo,

I read many words around large air hole around snare:"Large air holes increase volume and attack, while reducing the tone of the shell sound". What do you think about? You know other methods for muff'l the sound without to change the sound?

I have no experience of having large holes in the shells of my drums. The only type of muffling I use are "O" rings placed on top of the snare drum - and sometimes inside a floor tom.

can you say me disposition of your cup chimes low to high? I have disposition this therefore: 1 3 2 4 5. 1 it is lowest 5 it is highest

I have them the same as you.

Hi Gibbersticks,

...about the upcoming EP "Nil Recurring". I can't wait!!! Are you guys playing any of the 4 songs live at any of your shows?

It's a possibility but we haven't decided yet. Need to try them in rehearsals first.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-10-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Hi Fabio,

In Live, Every time you do a feel, or a particular paradiddle on splash or some other your contraption (What I envy :P) i see Colin edwin smiiile :) Whyyy??

Colin tends to smile at anything, he walks around with that grin on his face most of the day - he must be a very happy person.

Haha, i noticed this at the shows, and on the DVD, he smiles a lot!!

Gavin, i recently read the interview with you, Dave Mackintosh and Rob Rolfe from Download, in this months edition of 'Drummer'. Did you enjoy playing Download? I guess you don't play many festivals?

Also, do you do clinics often? I recently went to Drumfest, and i was really impressed with the clinics. Do you do clinics, if so, do you have any coming soon? I'd love to go to one.

I can't wait for the upcoming EP, unfortunately i can't go to any of the shows your playing in november, do you know if any more are being arranged?

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-11-2007, 04:08 AM

Hey Gavin

I was also wondering if you guys have, or have been planning to record (video/audio) any shows on this tour? I for one would love another PT DVD.

cheers
Daniel
Old 08-11-2007, 11:20 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi volume_3,

Did you enjoy playing Download? I guess you don't play many festivals?

Personally I don't love playing at festivals because of the chaos and lack of sound checking. Somehow it always ends up sounding so different to what you are normally used to. I suppose it's the fact that as a drummer you can't hear and feel the room as you can in say a theatre. I end up trying to compensate myself by playing too hard and then I hurt my hands. We've actually played quite a few festivals this year.

Also, do you do clinics often? Do you do clinics, if so, do you have any coming soon? I'd love to go to one.

I do make clinics but not in the UK since 1998. I don't know why - it never seems to really happen.

Hi Gibbersticks,

I was also wondering if you guys have, or have been planning to record (video/audio) any shows on this tour? I for one would love another PT DVD.

Yes we'd love to do another one. We're working on the logistics of it now.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Hi Gavin,

Enjoying your vacation?

Reading some of your answers regarding the 40-page long forum dillema for recurring questions etc, you say you'll hopefully have a answer for that soon, could you tell a little more about that? Are you setting up a new website or a FAQ section on your website or something?

Also regarding the S-Hoops, my snare always collects lots of debris (stick shavings, dust) between the head and the rim, so sometimes I'll turn it upside down to get rid of it, but with an S-Hoop that won't work, do you have the same problem? Or do you replace your heads so frequently that there's no debris.

Greetz,
Dre
Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 PM

Hi Gavin
Quote:
Hi crookedrook,

There's an Italian drum manufacturer who makes a hole in the shell of the bass drum - so you can angle a mic in there - that way you could keep the front head uncut. I don't know how this would sound - but it's an interesting idea.

Attachment 11654
It's a very interesting idea, this is a principle of bass drum front head, you cut head becouse increase volume and attack, while reducing the tone and sustain of the shell sound. Perhaps we can to use this principle direct in the drum shell.this is optimal for snare drum sustain reduction. What do you think about? thaks a lot Angelo
Old 08-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Hi Gavin,
Finally i I have tried 14x5 snare drum 4mm,round edge, large hole(2inch) this sound very-very beautiful,volume is much more high and thin shell produces low frequency. I have tried this with two sm57 microphone one on top and one in large air hole.I can used tree microphone on top ,bottom and one inside.
"this is best experiment" thanks for experience. -From the photo we are arrives you to the sound- "this is magic".
thanks a lot you are best drummer in the world and very special person
Angelo
Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Visuals

Hey Gavin,

I have a question about your visuals in the porcupine tree show.
I was at your show in offenbach (germany) and i wondered how the videos are so synchron to the music. is it because of a click, which you hear on your monitorsound or because of the lightengineer, who starts the videos?

If you hear a click than is it all in 4/4 or did you convert it in the right meters?

Thanks for your insperation!

PS: sorry about my english and see you (but you not me;) ) on 4rd december in cologne!