DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Nine Inch Nails "The Fragile" drummer ?
both jerome dillon and bill rieflin played on the album.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Senior Administrator

perfect answer. i'm going to get some of those. thanks gavin.

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks radiofriendlyunitshifter,
I read some time ago that Tony Thompson had played on it - but there's no credit for him

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofriendlyunitshifter View Post
both jerome dillon and bill rieflin played on the album.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:21 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

I need to check Fredrik and Morgan, on the clip that i saw it looks very exciting !!!

And Lewis, OH YES, I hear you, a TRUE genius !!!

Quote:
Fredrik Thordendal Special Defects drummer : Morgan Agren
(Again extraordinary rhythmic design and unbelievably exciting drumming).

Lewis Taylor "Lewis Taylor" no drummer
(A true unfound genius - songs that haunt me even when I'm asleep).

thanks Gavin
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Womble

Quote:
Randy Crawford "Secret Combination" drummer: Jeff Porcaro
(What can you say about a man with the BEST feel IMHO - and real classy musical taste)

Lewis Taylor "Lewis Taylor" no drummer
(A true unfound genius - songs that haunt me even when I'm asleep).
Secret Combination is a great album, featuring THE 80's LA rhythm section: Jeff Porcaro and Abraham Laboriel. I've just put on You Might Need Somebody now...man what a groove. I've never forgiven Shola Ama for releasing that pathetic, weedy, synthesised cover back in the 90's. Shame on her.

There's also a very comforting moment for us mere mortals in "That's How Heartaches Are Made" at 2:04, when Jeff accidentally hits his sticks together!

Mike Shapiro used to play Lewis Taylor to us at least once a week at LAMA. He absolutely loved him. I never quite heard what all the fuss was about, but it's clear I need to check him out some more. Btw, isn't it Lewis who plays the drums on all his stuff? Or programs them? And of course he got a big up from Elton John...but then Elton did a duet with Blue. Hehe.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:52 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Womble,
yes Lewis programmed the drums on his first album - and most of the drums on his following albums. I was lucky enough to work with him on the 2nd album and do some live dates with him too. Great stuff.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 01-18-2007, 07:03 PM
wy yung

Hi Gavin.
I just read your interview in the recent MD. I really enjoyed it. I loved what you had to say. As yet I've not heard you play. I have just ordered the PT DVD, so I will soon.

All the best and good luck with the rest of your career. Wy.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 PM

Hey Gavin

Hows life on the other side of the planet? In your Modern drummer interview you said that one of the most important things as a drummer was learning to read music. Well I can't read very well if at all. I can look at stuff and figure it out but to look at it and read it like I'm reading a book......no. I have no aspirations of being a studio drummer or anything like that so its not really important to me. What would you say would be the second most important thing for a drummer to know?

Thanks
Daniel
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I just read your interview in the recent MD. I really enjoyed it. I loved what you had to say. As yet I've not heard you play. I have just ordered the PT DVD, so I will soon.
Oh you have no idea what you have been missing. But your about to find out!! Enjoy.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks,
I did say that from my perspective of wanting to succeed as a freelance session musician - and I did add to that the ability to play REALLY well with a click these days is very important.
If you have no aspirations of being a studio drummer - I guess the thing to remember is have fun.
If hypothetically you never practise with a click and don't read - then you can still enjoy yourself and have a good time - but you (and perhaps others playing with you) may get frustrated with your time keeping abilities - and you may stunt your growth as a drummer by not being able to tackle harder material - odd time signatures etc - by the fact that you can't really comprehend it due to lack of reading and therefore understanding. I've learned a hell of a lot from seeing articles written in magazines and drum books that would have evaded me if I couldn't read. So reading has been important to me over the years.
I know there's drummers such as Buddy Rich and Dennis Chambers who apparently don't read - but these are exceptional people - and I'm talking from my experience of not fully grasping some things without having seen it written down - or explained to me in a notational way.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbersticks View Post
In your Modern drummer interview you said that one of the most important things as a drummer was learning to read music. Well I can't read very well if at all. I can look at stuff and figure it out but to look at it and read it like I'm reading a book......no. I have no aspirations of being a studio drummer or anything like that so its not really important to me. What would you say would be the second most important thing for a drummer to know?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin

I, too, really appreciate reading your featured article in Modern Drummer, you seem a nice down to earth guy. I want to tell you that you are one of the most melodic drummer of our decade. I enjoy every minutes of your playing.

keep goin' I love your work !

I hope you liked the charm of Montréal and will be back soon :-)

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-19-2007, 09:42 PM

Gavin,

How spontaneous would you say your drumming is in a live setting ? The guys in my art metal band comment that I don't ever play a song the same way twice (its the jazz demon in me). I know that the basic feel is always the same but for fills I experimenta lot (in rehearsals) because I feel that I am always looking for a better way to make something groove, fit, compliment other parts etc. Basically I seem to throw everything at a new song and eliminate what doesn't work as the arrangement matures. Do you think this is a wise way to construct parts or would you recommend a more controlled methodical approach. I dont think the guys are complaining as they seem to be very happy to have me however the comment really got me second guessing myself about that. Im just a sensitive guy man !! :)
Old 01-20-2007, 12:22 AM

Gavin,

I am currently in a band that is with a group of extremely talented people and just recently they have been forcing on me to play a way i do not enjoy and do not want to play and the band has complete gone 180 and isnt even in a genre i enjoy playing in anymore. But heres where im confused i was wondering if i should stay with them i dont want to a loose a handful of talented musicians to play with over not wanting to play a specfic genre and if it gets me to be able to play drums for a living than im all for it but im just confused if i should stay on just that slight chance that this might do something for me and my drumming.

i was wondering if this has ever happened to you or if you have any advice if you were in my shoes?

thank you,

Ethan
Old 01-20-2007, 09:02 AM

Hey Gavin

Thanks for the insight Gavin. As most of us here, I'm constantly trying to evaluate my playing and what I need to work on. There is sooooooo much to learn and it seems like I just keep finding more and more everyday and I keep thinking should I be doing this or that and what is more important now rather than later. But ya sight reading is just one more thing but as you said
Quote:
I've learned a hell of a lot from seeing articles written in magazines and drum books that would have evaded me if I couldn't read.
Thanks for letting me pick your brain!!!
Daniel
Old 01-23-2007, 05:15 PM

Gavin,

Thanks for all your words of wisdom and especially for revealing the real reason your playing is better than mine:

Quote:
Yes I get a lot of calluses - and I'm pleased when they return ... (about 25 of them in total) - everything is much better.
All the best
Gavin
After a month of heavy gigging, at best I can count 18 distinct calluses on my hands. The way I see it, until I figure out a way to rub out 7 more calluses, I will never play at your level! (There's an odd-time joke somewhere here that even your calluses aren't even! LOL!)

Seriously can't wait for your new CD - between the new Porcupine Tree and Rush CDs I will be in musical heaven later this spring!

Cheers!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Liquid Drummer
I would take that comment as a compliment. Like you I'm a bit of a jazzer at heart and a certain amount of improvising is a must. There are some fills that become an important part of the song or arrangement and I keep those the same - but I try things out from night to night to see if I can find new ways to play the same old songs.
Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Drummer View Post
Gavin,

How spontaneous would you say your drumming is in a live setting ? The guys in my art metal band comment that I don't ever play a song the same way twice (its the jazz demon in me).:)
Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Emmerson,
why are these talented musicians now wanting to play something so different?
Is there nothing about this new style that you can find interesting or view as a challenge - even though you don't like it at the moment? When I auditioned for Iggy Pop in the '80's it REALLY wasn't my kind of music at all - but I needed a job - and I saw it as a challenge to try to play that style of music. I ended up really getting into to and enjoying 90% of the gig - and became a fan of Iggys'. I found an opportunity to try something SO different for me - and I believe it had a positive impact on my playing as a whole.

If you REALLY hate the stuff - then leave the band and don't torture yourself.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerson View Post
I am currently in a band that is with a group of extremely talented people and just recently they have been forcing on me to play a way i do not enjoy and do not want to play and the band has complete gone 180 and isnt even in a genre i enjoy playing in anymore. But heres where im confused i was wondering if i should stay with them i dont want to a loose a handful of talented musicians to play with over not wanting to play a specfic genre and if it gets me to be able to play drums for a living than im all for it but im just confused if i should stay on just that slight chance that this might do something for me and my drumming.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:40 AM

Hey Gavin,

Long time no speak. I've been hard at work and i see you have too. There's no rest for those of us on the "Entertainment Committee."

I have a question about the production of your latest DVD. I was wondering about the camera situation. Did you have all 4 or 5 cameras recording simultaniously while synced to the audio with time code, and then edit the video later in post production. Or was it done some otherway. Any help would be greatly appreciated for my next endeavor.

Take care and God bless.

MM
Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Midnight Mike,
Yes I had 4 cameras rolling - but there were not in sync with anything - just each one free wheeling. I then loaded the films into the computer from each camera and then manually synced them in Final Cut Pro. To my surprise they don't seem to drift against the music track.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 01-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Hi Gavin,

Couple of questions:

- Morgan Rose is acknowledged in the liner notes to Deadwing. Do you know if this is the same Morgan Rose that plays drums for Sevendust?

- I understand you play most of the PT set to a click in order to sync with sequences and video, and you certainly do a great job of it. By the end of a long tour, do you get sick of playing to a click for 2 hrs every night? Being a 'jazzer at heart', I'd guess that you can't wait to to play some smaller gigs with less rigidly-structured sets and arrangements (and tempos).

Thanks for your time,

Alex
Old 01-25-2007, 11:26 AM

'Morning Gavin,
I have a few non-drumming questions for ya mate.
*geek mode* Like many others I'm a lifelong Rush fan and a recent PT convert. I've just read in a Rush forum that the possibility of touring together is um, possible due to both bands having albums out around the same time. Personally that would be a dream line up so I'm hoping you could shed some light on this? One last thing, apparently Alex Lifeson guests on the new album so how about a little bit of info for us Gavin Harrison disciples? Thanks for your time.*end geek mode*

Last edited by Ogg; 01-25-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Sol Good,
I don't know if it's the same Morgan Rose from Sevendust. It must have come from one of the other guys in PT - personally I don't know him.

Not all the songs have click tracks - only some of the ones with films or sequencers. I've played so many 1000's of gigs with clicks I don't find it restricting at all. I can enjoy myself playing with clicks or without - I suppose I've learned to feel free playing with one.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Good View Post
- Morgan Rose is acknowledged in the liner notes to Deadwing. Do you know if this is the same Morgan Rose that plays drums for Sevendust?

- I understand you play most of the PT set to a click in order to sync with sequences and video, and you certainly do a great job of it. By the end of a long tour, do you get sick of playing to a click for 2 hrs every night? Being a 'jazzer at heart', I'd guess that you can't wait to to play some smaller gigs with less rigidly-structured sets and arrangements (and tempos).
Old 01-25-2007, 09:57 PM

Hi Gavin.

I've been touring and recording for the past thirty odd years with the same outfit and, because of the kind of music the band play, I've always approached the drumming on a Phil Rudd/Charlie Watts type of minimulistic level. It seemed the right road to go down and I've always been quite happy playing that way. Two years ago I underwent surgery on both wrists for Carpal Tunnel and whilst recovering had time to reflect on my attitude to drumming and for the first time in my career I actually started listening to versatile drummers, like yourself, and became inspired (a little late in the day admitedly). With the full use of my hands again I embarked on a well overdue learning journey. I'm being taught to read, got the rudiments sorted and practice more now than I ever have. I would like to introduce what I'm learning into my live playing but cant seem to make the final leap, even with new material, always falling back on what's SAFE. It seems no matter how proficient I get at particular chops in the rehearsal room I sh*t out when it comes to playing them on stage. I would also like to introduce a short solo but, never having done one (properly) I've no idea how to construct something that's both technically correct and musical. Any advice you can offer an old dog doing his damndest to learn and implement new tricks would be most welcome.

Thanks.
Steve Williams.

Last edited by Pywacket; 01-25-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Great to have you on the forums Steve!

I really enjoyed your drumming on "Napoleon Bona, Parts 1 & 2". Our bass player introduced me to Budgie about 4 years ago and I saw you live at The Underworld back in 2003. Sorry to hijack the thread a little but its great to see even the pros wanting to furthur themselves in the art of drumming.

Good luck and thank you for the inspiration!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Gavin,

After watching the new PT DVD I have to say that your performance in Hate Song is just amazing. Not knowing the terminology I have to ask if the parts you are playing late in the song are good examples of metric modulation ? That thing you did where you ran your thumb over the tom !!! I about died when I saw that and was just amazed that it was so easy to hear in the mix. One question though. How is your hi-hats so loose without coming off the clutch? They look like they are going to take off in the 1st song. Again, your drum sound is just amazing. Every little ghost note on that snare is so easy to hear in the mix. I wish that my ghost notes came out like that when I played live but after hearing some soundboard recordings of our shows I have found that I cant hear any of my ghost notes unless the rest of the band are playing a quiet part...
Old 01-26-2007, 10:35 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Pywacket,
I think it takes a lot of courage to 'redesign' yourself after you've been playing as long as you have.
I know that when I've got some new ideas I want to introduce into my 'live' playing I have to try them out one at a time. It does take courage because there's always a chance they're not going to work - and I'm going to feel silly. However once I do manage to slip some new stuff in - and it works - I gain confidence and try more new things. It's a slow procedure - but I kind of dare myself to play some new (that's hot off the practise pad).

I'm inspired by your story - it's never too late to improve and change. Keep it up.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pywacket View Post
It seems no matter how proficient I get at particular chops in the rehearsal room I sh*t out when it comes to playing them on stage. I would also like to introduce a short solo but, never having done one (properly) I've no idea how to construct something that's both technically correct and musical.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSound View Post
Great to have you on the forums Steve!

I really enjoyed your drumming on "Napoleon Bona, Parts 1 & 2". Our bass player introduced me to Budgie about 4 years ago and I saw you live at The Underworld back in 2003. Sorry to hijack the thread a little but its great to see even the pros wanting to furthur themselves in the art of drumming.

Good luck and thank you for the inspiration!
Thank you Titan. That seems such a long time ago now! The reason I ask Gavin for advice is having only recently heard PT for the first time his playing inspires me the way Bill Brufords did when I first heard Yes back in the early 70's. I started down a similar road to Bruford with a band called Quest then the job came up with Budgie and I had to change course. After what seem a lifetime it's all come full circle and though I still love the idea of locking into a groove, and staying there ( when the song itself is strong enough to allow it) I would like a bigger arsenal of decent chops for when they are needed and the confidence to use them.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:01 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Liquid_Drummer
Thanks for the comment about Hatesong. Yes I do a few simple "metric modulations" in the outro section. The hi hats have a locking part under the cymbal so there's no way they're going to fly off. Sometimes it's nice to have the cymbals that loose. It lets them really breathe.

cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Drummer View Post
After watching the new PT DVD I have to say that your performance in Hate Song is just amazing. Not knowing the terminology I have to ask if the parts you are playing late in the song are good examples of metric modulation ? That thing you did where you ran your thumb over the tom !!! I about died when I saw that and was just amazed that it was so easy to hear in the mix. One question though. How is your hi-hats so loose without coming off the clutch? They look like they are going to take off in the 1st song...
Old 01-28-2007, 08:14 AM

Hi, Gavin - I hope you don't mind my asking a third question, and this one is EXTRA dorky.

"Trains" is one of my favorite PT songs. I've never tried to play the drum part, but I've learned the guitar part. I think I've been counting it wrong all this time - not that it matters, but I'm curious. When Steven sings the line "sixty ton angel," does "sixty" fall on beat 1 of the measure or beat 3?

Thanks for your patience. I can't wait for the new PT DVD and tour. Come to Nashville and see us this time!

Tracey
Old 01-28-2007, 11:34 AM

Hey Gavin,

You are by far my favourite drummer (alongside Vinnie perhaps), and I love your book Rhythmic Illusions. I'm gonna order one of your DVD's soon too. I'm a huge PT fan, and i'm going to see you guys at the Carling Academy in Newcastle on April 18th I think.

Are you guys doing any sort of signing after the show? I wanna meet you!

- Jezen Thomas
Old 01-28-2007, 01:13 PM

Hey Gavin !
Thank for being with usdrummers and fans . I love your playing .
You are my biggest influence!!! i have ordered your books dvds , PT DVD and , PT Recordings :) IT totally blows me away away away away :)

My personal Top 10 ranking:

1. Gavin Harrison
2. Weckl
3. Minnemann
5. Gadd
6. Bissionnette
7. Josh Freese
8. Chambers
9.Lang
10. Derek Roddy

ITs no joke, there isnt a drummer on earth who combines such great technique with amazing groove an musical drumming.... but YOU !
Whenever songs of PT has odd times ... no-one really notice at first cause of you . When you are playing the whole song alway sounds like a whole peace of music.... just like great amazing and grooving music !
I love the way you`ve setup your drumset and the whole sound of your drumset.
One question at last : Do you use already the new iron cobra clutch to control hihat close/open ? how do you like it ?

Take care of you Mr. Harrison ! All best wishes for future , health and of course drumming !

Nice greetings from germany ( I hope my english is not too bad)
Old 01-28-2007, 01:35 PM

Aaaaah ... I have searches the thread and find the answer.
You are using Iron cobra clutch and DW drop-Clutch together :) Very interessting !
Old 01-28-2007, 07:57 PM

tmccartney - in Trains, I hear the "sixty" on beat 3. Hence (if I remember right) the "angel" is on 4 1/2 aka the 4-and.

British Boy - check out the tour dates:

Apr 18 - Glasgow (I'll be there)
Apr 19 - Newcastle
Old 01-29-2007, 10:15 AM

Oh cheers for that.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:27 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi tmccartney,
yes it's a bit confusing at first - but the word "Sixty" is on the 'one'. The rhythm that I'm playing has snare beats on 2 & 4. The way the guitar rhythm moves - it gives an illusion of being in a different place.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccartney View Post
"Trains" is one of my favorite PT songs. I've never tried to play the drum part, but I've learned the guitar part. I think I've been counting it wrong all this time - not that it matters, but I'm curious. When Steven sings the line "sixty ton angel," does "sixty" fall on beat 1 of the measure or beat 3?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:38 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi British Boy,
thanks for the kind words. When we can - we meet people after the show - usually outside the venue. Hope you enjoy the concert.

Hi Timbo,
thanks also for the nice comments - yes I love the "Cobra Clutch". It could be better - but there's nothing else like it. I've been waiting many years for someone to invent it. In combination with the drop clutch I have a few different options for hi hat sounds.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 01-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

I hope that this has not been asked yet, but theres way too many replies for me to read...

Do you trigger your drums in any way or are the sounds what you, or someone else, has done to tune them?

p.s. dont lie.. cuz thats lame.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Hey Tamadrummer

*g* why should it be lame to trigger bassdrum ?
Deathmetal-drummer with 220 bpms + double Bass need to trigger... to much air in the shall = bad sound . Triggering makes the sound clearer in extreme tempos .

www.derekroddy.com there you can find more information about triggering the bassdrum (in the forum)

But : you should hear ( when your ears are healthy ) that Gavin does not trigger on PT-records and live performance.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 PM

Gavin I have just received you first DVD Rhythmic Visions...gonna be a great week and a fantastic year.
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and mindset with us, your one awsome dude....I am still thinking about Monteal.
I look forward to a new mindset and new Rhythmic Visions.
Yours truly
Dean Ward
Old 02-01-2007, 01:29 AM

Hey Gavin

I hope your clinic tour is going well. I wish they all weren't on the other side of the planet though!

Cheers
Daniel