DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-17-2016, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for the response. Oops. I realize now it was just part of your rack but from this angle (http://imgur.com/a/pw7XH) it looked a bit like a mic to me.

Sorry about that.

Just curious, was everything on Dizrhythmia Too new material or were some pieces already written?

Also, thanks to you I've been exposed to the wonderful Jakko and I was wondering if you could share a little history lesson.. :) How did you guys meet for the first Dizrhythmia album? I'm always curious to hear how musicians ended up playing together.

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers,
Quinn

Last edited by Lightbulb_Sun; 09-22-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:02 PM

Hi Gavin.

Thanks again for your answer. I appreciate it.

Maybe something a little off topic:
The reason I´m a fan is not only your drumming but also the way you talk f.e. in interviews. You seem like a very wise person to me. Are you interested in something else like politics or science?

Greetings Robert
Old 09-24-2016, 10:04 PM

Hey Gavin!

Just a couple of questions today, the first of which regards your sticks. A tiny backstory: I joined a metal band about a year ago, and after the first few shows I played with them, I found the sticks I had been using weren't really holding up to the great bashing they were taking. (ProMark 5A Nylon Tip, fine for playing with jazz ensembles, but not metal.) Way back when they first came out, I had received a couple pairs of your sticks as a gift (back when the grips were more of a royal blue). Remembering I had them sitting in my stick bag, I decided to switch over hoping they would hold up better from show to show. And they did! To an extent, until I started breaking them as well. Having broken or cracked both pairs, I went and purchased some more at one of the local Guitar Centers (blessed to have two in my area). Those pairs have held up since, but once more I'm on my last pair again. So my questions:

1) How often do you break/have to replace your own sticks? Also what prompted the change in grip colors to a lighter blue?

2) I came across a recent photo (shown below) of your kit on the KC tour on Facebook today. I'm curious as to what the cymbal I circled is? For years you've been known to have a 16" Oriental China where that new cymbal is now, and my very observant eyes happened to notice the change.

That's all for now. Still gotta check out the new Pineapple Thief album. Very much looking forward to it.
Cheers -- Peter
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2016, 12:56 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

Just curious, was everything on Dizrhythmia Too new material or were some pieces already written?

Some of it was written in the early 90's as we were intending to quickly follow up our first album of 1988. The most recent tunes were written about three years ago. It's been a long slow process !

Also, thanks to you I've been exposed to the wonderful Jakko and I was wondering if you could share a little history lesson.. :) How did you guys meet for the first Dizrhythmia album? I'm always curious to hear how musicians ended up playing together.

I met Jakko in 1983 in a local music shop - and we started working together around 1984. During a session for one of Jakko's solo albums in the mid 1980's we did a song with Danny Thompson and Pandit Dinesh and it had a really nice 'band vibe' about it - and so the idea of Dizrhythmia was born. I toured Italy with Jakko with a singer called "Alice" and in 1994 we were both playing in "Level 42".

Hi Robert Schmidt

Maybe something a little off topic:
The reason I´m a fan is not only your drumming but also the way you talk f.e. in interviews. You seem like a very wise person to me. Are you interested in something else like politics or science?

Yes I was thinking about becoming The Prime Minister of the UK but I'm just too busy practising polyrhythms. :-)

Hi K_HiHats

1) How often do you break/have to replace your own sticks? Also what prompted the change in grip colors to a lighter blue?

It depends how hard I'm playing. On a 'heavy hitting gig' I might break 4 or 5 sticks per show. On a 'lighter gig' I'm might play the same pair for a week or more.
Regarding the colour change. Due to changes out of their control, Vic had to change the formula in the Vic Grip and when that was done - getting the exact color blue was no longer possible. I can also tell you that I have found some stick wax that I really like (Dr Zog's Sex Wax) - and so I have asked Vic to drop the Vic Grip altogether now and replace it with just a blue dipped paint. It's the same stick - but instead of the Grip - it will be half dipped painted stick AND the color will be much closer to the original shade of royal blue. That particular model should be released at this year's NAMM show and will be called the SHHAR2

2) I came across a recent photo (shown below) of your kit on the KC tour on Facebook today. I'm curious as to what the cymbal I circled is? For years you've been known to have a 16" Oriental China where that new cymbal is now, and my very observant eyes happened to notice the change.

It's a Zildjian 15" K Custom Hybrid Trash Crash. I found that the 16" China cymbal (in the position that I had it set up) was just too loud in the overhead mics. So much so that when I was mixing the live KC show I had to keep isolating each hit and turning it down by about 10db.

That's all for now. Still gotta check out the new Pineapple Thief album. Very much looking forward to it.

It's a really good record and I've decided to do a short tour with them (early 2017) to promote it!!

20.01 Patronaat, Haarlem NL
21.01 Uden, De Pul NL
22.01 Zwolle, Hedon NL
24.01 Aschaffenburg, Colos Saal DE
25.01 Oberhausen, Eisenlager DE
26.01 Berlin, Frannz club DE
27.01 Prague, Futurum Music Bar CZ
28.01 Dresden, Tante Ju DE
29.01 Hamburg, Knust DE
31.01 Maastricht, Muziekgieterij NL
01.02 Paris, Le Divan Du Monde FR
09.02 Glasgow, ABC2 UK
10.02 Manchester, Sound Control UK
11.02 London, Islington Assembly Hall UK

Further details and ticket info can be found at:
www.pineapplethief.com/tour/

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 09-26-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:48 AM

Hi Gavin,

I was looking at their website ("Dr Zog's Sex Wax") and it seems like there's plenty of different types so I was wondering if you tried different ones? Which one are you using?

Thanks,

Will
Old 09-26-2016, 10:45 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi willregnier

I was looking at their website ("Dr Zog's Sex Wax") and it seems like there's plenty of different types so I was wondering if you tried different ones? Which one are you using?

I've only used this one.
Name:  71qrAVRckRL._SL1300_.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  23.6 KB

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-28-2016, 04:50 AM

Hey Gavin,

Just checked out the Pineapple Thief record. Great stuff! Your playing fits the music perfectly and (as per usual) your drums sound fantastic. The tour is good news, hopefully it gets filmed. :)

Question.. Have you ever tried the "Glyn Johns" 4 mic method? If so, did you find it effective? In situations where you've had to use minimal mic setups, what methods did you use?

Here's a photo on the internet I found of the mic setup: http://imgur.com/a/3piBS

P.S. I listened to the recording you did with Lewis Taylor on Spotify and I gotta give you major props for it! It's crazy tight! Lovelight is a great track.

Cheers,
Quinn

Last edited by Lightbulb_Sun; 09-29-2016 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:38 AM

Hi, Mr. Harrison!
At first I would like to express my admiration with your play. It is fantastic. I’ve started playing drums after watching a concert Arriving Somewhere. I was impressed with you so much. Now I play in a band called SHAMAN ЕЩЁ БУБЕН, from Almaty, Kazakhstan. We have presented first full-length album called: 11 Songs of Chiron the Centaur at August 6, 2016 in Almaty. Writing music, we were getting so much inspiration from King Crimson and Porcupine Tree. We would be very pleased to receive a little review from you, if you will be so kind to find some time to listen to the album using the following link: https://shamanbooben.bandcamp.com/album/11
Of course it would be great to get a couple of tips to us, young musicians also 😊
PS. We are looking forward for a chance to attend a King Crimson live show, to see and hear you!
Sincerely, Rodion Kaminsky and SHAMAN ЕЩЁ БУБЕН band from Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:00 AM

I just want to say a great big THANK YOU for the fantastic show in Oslo last night with King Crimson! I luckily got perfectly placed seating and could hear all of the nuances and loved the stage set-up with the three drum sets and that you have orchestrated to also take effect of the positioning. Cool to have the drummers in front of the stage!
The show almost felt like a time travel with no cell phones in sight in the audience. I absolutely loved it and to just be able to focus on the show and not being distracted like one are used to these days.

So my warmest thanks to you Gavin!
www.youtube.com/sturla75
Old 10-13-2016, 09:35 PM

Hi Gavin,

Mirco from Italy here. Sorry to ask questions that you maybe answered a thousand times... :-)

What is the relationship in terms of tuning between your 8" tom-tom and your snares?
I have my 14" snare tuned to G and the 12" snare tuned to A.
The 8" tom tom is tuned to G# but this creates snare buzz to the 12" snare.
If I go to A# or B with the 8 tom it's maybe too high.....

thanks for any suggestion,

Mirco.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:59 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

Just checked out the Pineapple Thief record. Great stuff! Your playing fits the music perfectly and (as per usual) your drums sound fantastic. The tour is good news, hopefully it gets filmed. :)

at the moment there is a plan to film/record one of the concerts.

Question.. Have you ever tried the "Glyn Johns" 4 mic method? If so, did you find it effective? In situations where you've had to use minimal mic setups, what methods did you use?

I have tried it and I felt that with a drumset as large as mine - it didn't work too well. Maybe with smaller basic kit setups it's much better.

Hi Rodion_Kaminski

Now I play in a band called SHAMAN ЕЩЁ БУБЕН, from Almaty, Kazakhstan. We would be very pleased to receive a little review from you, if you will be so kind to find some time to listen to the album using the following link:

Thanks for the message - but sorry I can't give reviews.

Hi Sturla

I just want to say a great big THANK YOU for the fantastic show in Oslo last night with King Crimson! I luckily got perfectly placed seating and could hear all of the nuances and loved the stage set-up with the three drum sets and that you have orchestrated to also take effect of the positioning. Cool to have the drummers in front of the stage! The show almost felt like a time travel with no cell phones in sight in the audience. I absolutely loved it and to just be able to focus on the show and not being distracted like one are used to these days.

glad you enjoyed it and yes it's nice not having to look at a load of people filming you on their phones. I find that quite distracting and annoying.

Hi dr_flam

What is the relationship in terms of tuning between your 8" tom-tom and your snares? I have my 14" snare tuned to G and the 12" snare tuned to A. The 8" tom tom is tuned to G# but this creates snare buzz to the 12" snare. If I go to A# or B with the 8 tom it's maybe too high..

It varies a bit depending on the snare drum sound I'm going for. Whatever it is - I need to tune the toms away from the snare drum pitch - otherwise you will get a lot of snare buzz. It's a very old problem. You will never get rid of all of it. You just have to except a certain amount of it. I think it helps having just 8 snare wires. Sometimes in post production I mute the bottom snare mic whenever I hit the small toms - especially if I have a compressor on that under snare mic.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-16-2016, 06:19 PM

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for the reply!

Just curious, what brushes do you use on the Pineapple Thief song "Fend For Yourself"? Lovely playing. Also, have you tried Steve Smith's "Tala Wands"? If so, how do they compare to most "bundled rod" sticks?

Also, is there a possibility of a follow up release to Cheating the Polygraph with Laurence or was it a one-time thing? I would love to hear more, but I understand that it's a lot of work to rearrange these songs. Lastly, are there any plans for drum clinics in Canada in the next year or so? I understand that you're a busy man. :)

Just curious, what are your thoughts on Mark Guiliana (who has played with Avishai Cohen and David Bowie)?

Cheers,
Quinn

Last edited by Lightbulb_Sun; 10-22-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Extra questions and wording.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:50 AM

Hi Gavin,

I bought the KC live in Toronto double cd. I really like some songs. I noticed that's another cd+Bluray on Burningshed store. But I'm not sure if the video discs are with the actual KC group (including you) or if it's a video of past team.
I would like buy a DVD/Bluray with you playing songs like Epitaph, court of Crimson King and others. Can you help me?

Thank you!!!

Marcos
Old 10-27-2016, 01:53 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

Just curious, what brushes do you use on the Pineapple Thief song "Fend For Yourself"? Lovely playing. Also, have you tried Steve Smith's "Tala Wands"? If so, how do they compare to most "bundled rod" sticks?

Vic Firth brushes with the purple handles. I have tried Tala Wands and really liked them - but they will break if you play too hard of course.

Also, is there a possibility of a follow up release to Cheating the Polygraph with Laurence or was it a one-time thing? I would love to hear more, but I understand that it's a lot of work to rearrange these songs. Lastly, are there any plans for drum clinics in Canada in the next year or so? I understand that you're a busy man. :)

No plans for a follow up to "Cheating The Polygraph". It took 5 years to finish that record and I can't imagine starting that kind of process again any time soon. No clinics planned at the moment.

Just curious, what are your thoughts on Mark Guiliana (who has played with Avishai Cohen and David Bowie)?

Very good.

Hi Rítmico

I bought the KC live in Toronto double cd. I really like some songs. I noticed that's another cd+Bluray on Burningshed store. But I'm not sure if the video discs are with the actual KC group (including you) or if it's a video of past team. I would like buy a DVD/Bluray with you playing songs like Epitaph, court of Crimson King and others. Can you help me?

"Radical Action To Unseat The Hold Of Monkey Mind" (3cd/2dvd/1blu-ray) is the whole live show from Japan 2015. The DVD/BluRay is the video of the live concert (including the songs you mentioned).

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-28-2016, 02:34 AM

Hi Gav, thanks for the music :)

On the letterman show/ drum solo thing , is everyone counting bars thru your solo ? Was it clicked and if so were there any count ins/markers on the click ?

Thanks Man
Old 10-28-2016, 02:36 PM
JohnoWorld

Hi Gavin,

What is your take on drumagog and replacing drum hits with samples?

Thanks
Johno
Old 10-30-2016, 11:38 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi michaelg

On the letterman show/ drum solo thing , is everyone counting bars thru your solo ?

Yeah big time !

Was it clicked and if so were there any count ins/markers on the click ?

There was a click because I needed to find a comfortable tempo - and also be aware of the exact amount of time the whole piece was going to take (TV shows are really strict about that). So I worked out the amount of bars against tempo before hand.

Hi JohnoWorld

I'd never personally want to 'replace' a drum sound - only add to it (with a sample or two). I did use Drumagog for a few years until I found "Trigger" (by Steven Slate plug ins) and it tracked the real drums much better at that time. I never went back to Drumagog - maybe it's got a lot better? I only ever really do this kind of process with the bass drum - and it's very effective.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-31-2016, 11:21 AM
JohnoWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Hi JohnoWorld

I'd never personally want to 'replace' a drum sound - only add to it (with a sample or two). I did use Drumagog for a few years until I found "Trigger" (by Steven Slate plug ins) and it tracked the real drums much better at that time. I never went back to Drumagog - maybe it's got a lot better? I only ever really do this kind of process with the bass drum - and it's very effective.

cheers
Gavin
Legend thanks fella, I'll check that oot
Old 11-04-2016, 09:54 PM

Hey Gavin,

How long have you used the Audix D6 for? Did you use it on the In Absentia sessions? I've always really liked the kick sound on that album.

Also, did you ever use any certain exercises or certain grooves that helped you learn how to play with dotted eighths?

Lastly, have you ever tried stacking cymbals? There are some nice trashy sounds that you can achieve, similar to your small Oriental Trash Chinas. For example, I've always liked Questlove's stack with a 20" Oriental Crash of Doom and 20" K Con Medium Thin Low Ride (with a tambourine on top - can be heard here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnXg-WK8uNE). Mark Guiliana has a nice stack as well.

Anyways, hope all is well.

Cheers,
Quinn

Last edited by Lightbulb_Sun; 11-05-2016 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

How long have you used the Audix D6 for? Did you use it on the In Absentia sessions? I've always really liked the kick sound on that album.

I've had a D6 since about 2008. I don't always use it - and it wasn't used on In Absentia.

Also, did you ever use any certain exercises or certain grooves that helped you learn how to play with dotted eighths?

Not really. As long as you can clearly hear where all the dotted 8ths go - and you can keep them going over the bar line (without losing where "one" is) everything should be easy.

Lastly, have you ever tried stacking cymbals?

Not much. I don't really like that kind of "broken cymbal - white noise" sound too much. It's not a "go to" sound that's in my mind when I'm thinking about cymbal sounds.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-15-2016, 01:43 AM

Quote:

I've had a D6 since about 2008. I don't always use it - and it wasn't used on In Absentia.
Hey Gavin, thanks for the response, I appreciate it considering you're busy with King Crimson shows. It means a lot that you still respond here.

Do you recall what kick mics you used on In Absentia, Deadwing, Lewis Taylor's In Session 2005, and Fear of a Blank Planet? Your drum sound has always been fantastic, even as far back as the '88 Dizrhythmia. Again, I apologize if my constant questions are a bit of nuisance.

Anyways, enjoy the rest of your KC shows! Cheers,
Quinn

Last edited by Lightbulb_Sun; 11-18-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:04 AM
JohnoWorld

Hello again Gavin,

A question about production if i may.

I am a man who likes a live sound. For almost all my favourite bands, I prefer listening to a live recording due to the fact that it's not quite as perfect as a studio recording and you seem to hear more. You have done many, most of which I have, but my favourite is the PT Arriving Somewhere DVD.

Was there anything specific done to the mix for these shows?

In comparison I think the drum sound / overall mix on Octane Twisted is a bit flat. Not that it is bad, it's that the Arriving DVD sound, for me, has never been surpassed in terms of live recordings.

Did you tune your kit specifically, is it due to the surround mix or is it simply a Steve Wilson trick? :-)

cheers
Old 11-19-2016, 12:17 AM

Hi Gavin.
Just wanted to say I think your playing is awesome! I especially love the tonal and musical quality of your rhythms, how the gel so well with the songs and the subtleties of your 'shorter' fills and embellishments/developments of your grooves. Sorry to say, I never really managed to get into the stuff you did with 05Ric as much as your work with PT and the more recent Pineapple Thief record.

I've been trying to work on some of the stuff in your 'Rhythmic Illusions' book, but it's still a bit hard for me. I'm an adult beginner, only been playing for about 12 months so everything seems like a battle where my body won't do what I want it to do! :D However, I don't want to be a 'technically' brilliant drummer, but more of a musical and creative drummer.

Hopefully I'll get to see you perform live at the Pineapple Thief gig in Manchester!

Simon
Old 11-22-2016, 05:24 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

Do you recall what kick mics you used on In Absentia, Deadwing, Lewis Taylor's In Session 2005, and Fear of a Blank Planet? Your drum sound has always been fantastic, even as far back as the '88 Dizrhythmia. Again, I apologize if my constant questions are a bit of nuisance.

I think for those albums mentioned it would have been a Beyer M88 - (I'm not 100% sure regarding In Absentia) as we had an engineer in the studio in NYC who may have added other mics.

Hi JohnoWorld

I am a man who likes a live sound. For almost all my favourite bands, I prefer listening to a live recording due to the fact that it's not quite as perfect as a studio recording and you seem to hear more. You have done many, most of which I have, but my favourite is the PT Arriving Somewhere DVD. Was there anything specific done to the mix for these shows?

I can't remember exactly what was done to those tracks.

In comparison I think the drum sound / overall mix on Octane Twisted is a bit flat.

I agree.

Did you tune your kit specifically, is it due to the surround mix? :-)

I don't tune my kit any differently when playing live or in a studio - they are of course closed mic'd in exactly the same way. Unfortunately with live mixes - the drum overhead mics are usually full or guitar sounds and there's a total lack of 'usable' room sound - so you have to add digital reverb.

glad you like the sound of it anyway.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-30-2016, 03:01 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm a proud owner of a 14" Protean snare drum and wanted to thank you for the work and the ideas you've put into this instrument. It's a great piece of craftsmanship and looks great with my piano black TAMA Starclassic drum kit. It sounded great with the factory tuning, too, and I'm enjoying it very much. The guys in the band are overwhelmed by the power this thing puts out, rim shots are killing them :).

Well, after some playing it was time for the the usual maintenance routine: changing heads, cleaning the drum's interior, checking the screws, stuff like that. My problem now is to get this thing back in tune, especially the reso head. I've already spent some hours trying but I fail miserably. I wouldn't say that I'm an expert when it comes to drum tuning but I'm drumming for over three decades now and usually I get a decent sound from a drum. It started to make me angry so I stopped and am now here to ask for advise :). I'm using the same heads as the factory fitting: hazy REMO Ambassador on the bottom and REMO Controlled on top.

My problem is, to have the same pitch on all lugs, the lugs surrounding the gaps where the snare wire crosses the bearing edge require almost two turns more to reach the same pitch like all the other lugs. I would think now, that this applies uneven tension to the rim and of course to the drum's body. I'm a bit hesitant to tune the drum like that because uneven tension on a wooden drum to me seems like a pretty bad idea. On the other hand, I'm sure the craftsmen at Sonor and yourself must have been aware of this so either this is perfectly ok and I shouldn't worry, or I'm missing something very basic but important here.

But even if I just go for equal pitch (checking with a tune bot), the drum sounds terrible: no articulation, nasty overtones, flat sound. I try to follow your tuning method (using both drum keys, go finger-tight first, apply tension in small steps and always check the pitch before applying more tension) as precisely as I can.

Is this snare so hard to tune or where's the trick? Do I worry too much about the uneven tension? Do you have any tip or further advice that I could follow?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Tom
Germany
Old 12-01-2016, 12:00 PM
JohnoWorld

Quote:
Hi Lightbulb_Sun

I think for those albums mentioned it would have been a Beyer M88 - (I'm not 100% sure regarding In Absentia) as we had an engineer in the studio in NYC who may have added other mics.

Hi JohnoWorld

I am a man who likes a live sound. For almost all my favourite bands, I prefer listening to a live recording due to the fact that it's not quite as perfect as a studio recording and you seem to hear more. You have done many, most of which I have, but my favourite is the PT Arriving Somewhere DVD. Was there anything specific done to the mix for these shows?

I can't remember exactly what was done to those tracks.

In comparison I think the drum sound / overall mix on Octane Twisted is a bit flat.

I agree.

Did you tune your kit specifically, is it due to the surround mix? :-)

I don't tune my kit any differently when playing live or in a studio - they are of course closed mic'd in exactly the same way. Unfortunately with live mixes - the drum overhead mics are usually full or guitar sounds and there's a total lack of 'usable' room sound - so you have to add digital reverb.

glad you like the sound of it anyway.

cheers
Gavin
Legend, cheers bro, much appreciated as always
Old 12-02-2016, 11:39 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

tom_ac

My problem is, to have the same pitch on all lugs, the lugs surrounding the gaps where the snare wire crosses the bearing edge require almost two turns more to reach the same pitch like all the other lugs. I would think now, that this applies uneven tension to the rim and of course to the drum's body. I'm a bit hesitant to tune the drum like that because uneven tension on a wooden drum to me seems like a pretty bad idea. On the other hand, I'm sure the craftsmen at Sonor and yourself must have been aware of this so either this is perfectly ok and I shouldn't worry, or I'm missing something very basic but important here. But even if I just go for equal pitch (checking with a tune bot), the drum sounds terrible: no articulation, nasty overtones, flat sound. I try to follow your tuning method (using both drum keys, go finger-tight first, apply tension in small steps and always check the pitch before applying more tension) as precisely as I can.

I usually tune the bottom head REALLY tight but the 4 lugs either side of the snare wire a bit less. The "snare bed" part of the bearing edge will not give you the chance for completely even tuning. It's the only head that I tune this way. Apart from that - whenever I put on a new head (especially the bottom of a snare) it takes a few days for it to settle in. The top is head is lower in pitch than the bottom head. If you scroll back a few pages on this thread - you'll find a recording of my drums (starting with the 14" snare drum with the snares "off") and you can hear the pitch I choose.
best of luck

Gavin
Old 12-14-2016, 03:07 PM

Hi,

I'm beginning to work my way down the rabbit hole of recording drums, and as I'm learning I wanted to pick the brain of someone who has been able to produce great natural sounding drums without oversampling and making the drums sound like a bunch of different individual parts and less like a collective instrument.

Obviously, room sound and mic placement is very important as it is hard to work with raw tracks that aren't recorded well to begin with.

I'm using Logic Pro X to track and mix my drums (currently to some of the 5/4 and 7/8 tunes on your Horizons/Illusions DVD. I'm limiting myself to only using the Logic plugins so to avoid getting caught up in trying all the many third party plugins and not learning the base DAW functions.

My curiosity is what tools you have found useful within Logic Pro X when you are mixing? For example, what stock Logic plugins do you favor?
Old 12-16-2016, 02:39 PM

Hi Gavin,

how do you do? Assuming that you´re preparing for the Pineapple-Tour at the moment. One question about your home-studio:
I´ve noticed that your kit stands pretty much in a corner of the room. The left side of your kit compared to the right side must be close to the wall and therefore kind of unsymmetrical in the room. Is that correct and how good or bad is that for recording drums? (I would try to place my drums more in the middle of a room or at least a wall to get equal signals for the overheads but maybe I´m wrong.) What´s your take on this?
Old 12-21-2016, 05:50 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Heck99

My curiosity is what tools you have found useful within Logic Pro X when you are mixing? For example, what stock Logic plugins do you favor?

At the moment I'm using the Logic EQ, Logic's Space Designer reverb and sometimes the Apple Graphic EQ. Other than that it's all third party plugins.

Hi Robert Schmidt

I´ve noticed that your kit stands pretty much in a corner of the room. The left side of your kit compared to the right side must be close to the wall and therefore kind of unsymmetrical in the room. Is that correct and how good or bad is that for recording drums?

yes that's correct. I bought a drum riser (on wheels) so I could move it around the room if I needed to - but actually it sounds fine where it is. It didn't sound noticeably better when I put it in the centre of the room. I guess there are no 'right or wrongs' in recording drums. Just do what sounds good to your ears !

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-22-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I usually tune the bottom head REALLY tight but the 4 lugs either side of the snare wire a bit less. The "snare bed" part of the bearing edge will not give you the chance for completely even tuning. It's the only head that I tune this way. Apart from that - whenever I put on a new head (especially the bottom of a snare) it takes a few days for it to settle in. The top is head is lower in pitch than the bottom head. If you scroll back a few pages on this thread - you'll find a recording of my drums (starting with the 14" snare drum with the snares "off") and you can hear the pitch I choose.
best of luck

Gavin
I followed your advice and I tuned the bottom head way! tighter with the "snare bed" lugs a bit more loose. Suddenly the whole sound opened up, articulation came back, the ringing's gone. Amazing, sometimes little things do the trick. The drum is a bit lower than on your recording, but it sounds great (again) with the low tuning of the toms. Thanks a lot, this saved some headache.

All the best
Tom

P.S looking forward to see you play with The Pineapple Thief in Maastricht on the 31st. I'll be the guy waving a Protean snare drum... just kidding...
Old 12-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Thanks for your answer and again thanks for all this here!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Old 12-26-2016, 10:31 PM

Hi Gavin , you are incredible .
I dont know what to ask you , all questions i have in mind is disappering when i try to think if there is one , because of you, because you show me that everyone can succes . Thank you deep in my heart.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:55 PM

Hi Gavin,

as you recently posted the link of the Mick Karn record of 1995 you played on, I landed on this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzt7dF5jwhs

and it makes me wonder how this all fits together. I mean there are half of the members of PT in a band playing together with Steve Jansen (as you mentioned one of your influences). And I found out that Richard Barbieri also played together with Steve Jansen in Japan in the early 80s.
I think I remember an interview of you saying that you met Richard in Italy during a session and that finally led to PT. But when did you found out about Steve Jansen? And did you know Steve Wilson long before PT?
Can you please tell us a bit more about how it all came together. That would for sure be an interesting story! It seems like this is kind of a network... :)

Greetz
Old 01-09-2017, 11:49 PM

Hey Gavin,

I just heard that pianist and composer Gleb Kolyadin of Iamthemorning is making a solo album and you're going to be on it! Very exciting to hear. I hope I'm not out of line here, but I'd like to share the project so anybody who wishes can support it!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...lyadin-piano#/

To everybody here, the album will be instrumental and also feature Nick Beggs (the bassist for Steven Wilson's current band) and Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater.

For those who want a taste of his work, here's the video for the song "Chalk & Coal" from the latest Iamthemorning album, Lighthouse, which featured Colin Edwin (of Porcupine Tree), Mariusz Duda (of Riverside), and Gavin. Additionally, it was named the Album of the Year at the Progressive Music Awards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNDyoGE-2w

Just wanted to share that! Hopefully the project catches more attention - it's going to be killer!

Also Gavin, have you heard of the funk band Vulfpeck? Their drummers are excellent and Bernard Purdie occasionally plays with them live! I think you'd quite like them. Here's one of their most popular songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHQPG1xd9o. Would love to hear your opinion if you have the time.

PS: Excited for video footage of the upcoming Pineapple Thief tour! Hope it goes well!

Cheers,
Quinn

Last edited by Lightbulb_Sun; 01-10-2017 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Phrasing.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 PM

Gavin,

I was just wondering if you ever focus on your breathing while playing? Do you ever tense up before a fast rip down the toms, almost like you're holding your breath until the fill is complete?
I like to think that being "in the zone" is really just a cute metaphor for meditating. I've noticed I reach a mental stage while drumming where I don't feel the energy I'm exerting as much as normal, and everything just flows naturally and easily. But once the song is over, I'm exhausted, as if I was holding my breath the whole time.
This happens even when I'm playing my electronic drums (I haven't played an acoustic kit in years, and if I had one, my neighbors would be beating down my front door).

Thanks
Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Robert Schmidt

as you recently posted the link of the Mick Karn record of 1995 you played on, I landed on this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzt7dF5jwhs
I mean there are half of the members of PT in a band playing together with Steve Jansen (as you mentioned one of your influences). And I found out that Richard Barbieri also played together with Steve Jansen in Japan in the early 80s. I think I remember an interview of you saying that you met Richard in Italy during a session and that finally led to PT. But when did you found out about Steve Jansen? And did you know Steve Wilson long before PT?

I was listening to Steve Jansen (in the band Japan) in the early 80's (check out the amazing "Tin Drum" album) and then later when he was playing on his brother's records (David Sylvian). I met Richard when we worked together with an Italian artist called "Alice" in 1990. I didn't know Steve Wilson until I met him just before the "In Absentia" recording.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I was just wondering if you ever focus on your breathing while playing? Do you ever tense up before a fast rip down the toms, almost like you're holding your breath until the fill is complete?

I try not to - but I'm sure I do hold my breath whilst playing something strenuous - and so it becomes more tiring.

cheers
Gavin
Old 01-23-2017, 11:52 PM

Hey Gavin,

How much of Cheating the Polygraph and Mother & Child Divided is written by you? I know that you play guitar (in fact you play on Nil Recurring) as well as bass... so did you come up with some of those parts too, or just the drum grooves? If not, how much input did you have over the other guys' parts?

Enjoyed your new Pineapple Thief Vic Firth video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6hR7ejT9RU :) Is that blue stuff on your snare just the paint/wax from your sticks? Sounds great as always. Also, what ride is that? And is that a 20"+ crash on your left? Sounds fantastic.

Lastly, I've always meant to ask you this: do you play the percussion in the In Absentia outtake "Meantime", or was it programmed by SW? It was released with no credits on Burningshed as a digital download awhile ago, and I've always liked it. :)

Cheers,
Quinn

Last edited by Lightbulb_Sun; 01-24-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:41 AM
Gold Member

Hello Gavin,

I just wanted to tag on to the question above, and see if you'd mind giving a run down of the cymbals you used in that video for us gear nerds. :)

I hope the tour with Pineapple Thief is going great!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 01-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Hello Gavin,

I just saw the video where you demonstrate your updated signature stick (Gavin Harrison - "Tear You Up" by The Pineapple Thief). When I tried this stick some time ago they were a little too long for my taste but I liked the feeling, the rebound, the power they provide and especially the grip. What did you change in the stick's design? Did they become shorter by any chance? :)

Thanks
Tom