DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-18-2006, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beat of Gypsy Messiah
I hope to one day find a drum tablature book, at the local music, store of your playing. Do you offer any on-line tab of your playing? I am particularly interested in the beginning of "Blackest Eyes".
Hey Beat of Gypsy Messiah,
I have a an excellent tab of "Blackest Eyes" and "The Sound of Muzak." If you email me at mdnght@nycap.rr.com i can send you the files. Take care.

Hey Gavin,
I hope you dont mind me helping out, but i see a fellow drummer in need and i cant help myself. Hope everything is well, and the creative and recording process is progressing nicely. Take care and God bless.

P.S. The Montreal Drum festival was such a blast, you really stole the show!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:57 AM

Hey Gavin

Speaking of which...have you recorded any of your drums tracks for the new album yet? PT's albums have somewhat gotten progressively heavier, is that trend continuing or are you guys going in a different direction this time around?

Do you still go through periods where you feel like, even though your learning new things, like your just not "improving". I personally feel like I'm at a stand still as far as applying new skills. I guess my problem is more creativity than anything, kinda like just going round in circles and not really getting anywhere. What kind of things do you do, or have done to get through periods such as this?

Thanks
Daniel
Old 12-19-2006, 03:24 PM

Hey Gavin,

I've really been getting into your playing lately and I've started to explore the concepts of polyrhythms and time signatures beside 4/4, 6/8, and 12/8. My question to you is simply this: How do I start?? It seems like all I had to do to learn 4/4 was a simply boom tap boom tap and then I could grow from there so what do you think would be the equivelant of that form say 5/4 or 9/8?

Also I figure listening always helps so what artists would you reccomend for training my ears to figure these rhythms out?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:07 PM

Hey Gavin-

I'm listening to In Absentia track 9: The Creator has a Master Tape. Half way through there's a fill you do during what sounds like a synth/guitar distortion part, the fill kind of sounds like double stroke rolls and some triplets on the bass drum. If you need the actual time in that track I can do so. Can you tell me how you are doing that fill?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 PM

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your response to my prior question and all the replies you've posted here. I have an additional question for you:

I noticed a technique that you employ in many drum fills is to have two successive cymbal crashes at the conclusion (either to quick sixteenths or eighths.) You seem to use a variety of cymbals in this function - two chinas, one china and a crash, or two different crashes. I have the technical ability to play this, but for some reason it just doesn't come across in my playing - at least not like it does in yours! Your successive crashes are so defined and accurate - my double crashes end up sounding kinda mushy. I suppose part of it has to do with cymbal sounds - I don't have a china on my left and thus am always dealing with two crashes - and some may have to do with your tight kick sound. Perhaps there is some bearing on the cymbals used first and second? But I was wondering if there is any practice technique or other comments you may suggest for achieving this sound? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:59 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks,
yes I have finished recording the drums to the new PT record. Does it sound heavier? I don't think so - it's very dynamic (but that's typical of PT) yes there's really heavy sections and really light sections too. We performed a very large amount of the new material on the last tour - and I don't remember people saying it was any heavier/progressive than the previous albums.

I always feel like I'm improving - it's just that sometimes it takes a few months to recognise it.

Hi Mendelson the Drummer,

"How do I start?? It seems like all I had to do to learn 4/4 was a simply boom tap boom tap and then I could grow from there so what do you think would be the equivalent of that form say 5/4 or 9/8?"

I think it was easy for you to play in 4/4 because you've grown up listening to 4/4 As most of us Westerners have. Try listening to a lot more odd times - play along and get comfortable. Get a sequencer and write a riff/bass line in an odd time and then just play over it for as long as it takes to feel like it's second nature to you.

Hi crookedrook,
I think I know the fill you mean. Haven't I already answered that one in a previous page? Maybe it was on the "House Of Drumming" forum.

Hi cygnify,
I've been doing that for so long - I don't even notice it anymore. I suppose the order to hit them in is small (fast crash/splash/china) first and then land on the bigger one of the two last (usually the downbeat). Being accurate with the bass drum at the same time will of course help. It's not something that I really practised - just something that I heard in my head that I wanted to play.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 PM

I went through most of the threads and did not see anything posted about that fill. I listened to that part again most of the day yesterday and when I got home I tried to reproduce that same part, but was unsuccessful. The double stroke rolls sound right, but when adding the bass drum in I wasn't sure if you were using double or single bass drum. Can you elaborate? My kids looked at me kind of funny because I was trying to pull that fill off and came up with some funny fills. If you don't mind me asking I know your not Dr. Phil, but have you found personal relationships kind of a conflict when playing music?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-20-2006, 03:54 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi crookedrook,
it was on page 6....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

It's a really hard fill to play at that speed - but the nuts and bolts of it goes like this...

L r r l l (on the snare) kick kick (on the double BD pedal) and then a tom with the right hand... so it's 8 notes grouped in the space of a dotted quarter note. The tempo is something like 166bpm - so that's going by quite quickly. At the start of the fill there's a bit of a snare roll/double kick and tom note leading up to the first snare accent (and that's where the pattern above begins). I think the "L" accent on the snare moves across to a tom every other time.

good luck
Gavin
Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM

Thanks Gavin-much appreciated.

-Rob
Old 12-20-2006, 10:16 PM

Hey Gavin

Hope things are going well for you. I have a few questions about your studio. Did you build it yourself or did you get a contractor to build it or was it a pre-existing room? What resources did you use for the design as far as books, etc? What are the dimensions. Do you have and materials on the walls, etc to absorb sound waves? I read that you said your room was "quite dead" sounding, did you have to do much in the way of modifications to your room to get that sound?

I'm going to be starting my drum room next month and any insight or tips would be great.

Thanks
Daniel
Old 12-21-2006, 04:11 AM

http://www.moderndrummer.com/updatefull/200001534
Old 12-21-2006, 04:33 AM

I see that you room is 40' x 50' and has a pretty high ceiling with hardwood flooring. How and with what did you "treat" the acoustics of the room. My room will be 20' x 15' with a 9' ceiling. Not anywhere near as big as yours obviously. Just looking for advice of things to do and to avoid.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:57 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks,
I had a company called "Studio Wizard" come round and measure the acoustics reflections of the big room with a computer and microphone - the computer program was called "MLSSA"
The company then designed a baffle system for the ceiling and walls. When I mentioned my room was pretty 'dead' sounding I was referring to the control room - not the big room.

I didn't build the rooms - they were already part of the house.
I play in the control room with some very large doors open to the big room where there are two sets of stereo mics set up (at varying distances) to capture the ambience of the big room.
I then counter balance the delay (caused by the ambient mics being so far away from the drums) by pulling them back in line on my computer recording system.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-22-2006, 04:25 PM

Gavin-

I'm not sure if someone has all ready asked this question. In PT's writing process do all of you get together and just jam and see what you come up with? or does Steve all ready have ideas and sends them to you to work on and how long does it take PT to write songs.
When my band writes we just jam on stuff we had ideas about, come up with a structure and go from there. It's kind of hard to write drum parts in the "spur of the moment."

Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-22-2006, 07:30 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've never been a fan of "sport drumming" although it is interesting to see the speed some of these "sport drummers" get to. But since i've been listening to PT and a few other bands i've noticed a really nice musical approach to double kick patterns. I was just wondering how you developed your technique. I recently purchased a Tama Iron Cobra double kick pedal and have started doing things like eights and sixteens over basic 4, 8 and 16 note rhythms but progress is fairly slow. I started off using heel down technique many moons ago but started playing heel up to get more power on the kick and have played like this for a long time and am happy with my right foot technique but I cannot get my left foot to emulate my right!

On another note I have enjoyed playing along to PT ever since my friend sent me a copy of "Halo" to challenge me and I must say he picked a cracker of a song for me to try and learn! I have really enjoyed and continue to enjoy listening, seeing and learning a lot of the stuff you guys play and learning your "secrets" on your Rhythmic Horizons dvd.

I've seen you twice at Cambridge Junction and fully intend to come and see you there again, I may even get to the London show this time as well!

All the best and Merry Xmas

Gav

P.s. I've even now started getting my old cymbals cut down, I now have a 7" Sabian ride cymbal! Awesome!
Old 12-23-2006, 12:17 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi crookedrook,
actually people have asked me about that. You need to look back a few pages.
Thanks for the question anyway.

Hi GavManB,

"I've never been a fan of "sport drumming" although it is interesting to see the speed some of these "sport drummers" get to."

In all my years as a professional drummer - no producer/band leader/singer has ever asked me how fast can I go.
I've been trying to play double bass since 1982 - and although I could play a lot of things quite early on - they were a total mess and completely out of time. So I tried to work on accuracy - I wasn't interested in playing booga booga type patterns - but I like 2,3,4, and 5 note runs - as triplets or 16/32nds and fit them into a groove or fill.
Sometimes I put on some music and play along just using my left foot on the (left) bass drum pedal. It's more of a stamina thing sometimes (or lack of technique) - I try to play a samba type bass drum line quite quickly with just my left foot - and 16ths on the snare drum - and really try to get the thing in time.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-23-2006, 06:06 AM

Hey Gavin

I myself just got my first double pedal as an early christmas present and quite frankly I'm not or ever will be a metal drummer. I have however "trying" to figure out how to use it to add a little spice here and there. What are some of your (if you don't mind) favorate fill patterns in which you use a double pedal. I for one would love to know how you play that fill at the begining of Futile about 30 seconds into the song. Are you playing 2 snare and toms in unison followed a bass drum triplet? Is it really that simple?

Thanks
Daniel
Old 12-23-2006, 07:52 AM

Hi Gavin,

I think we're all hankering for a "B" roll of you only from the DVD performance.

(I know...I know...In my dreams.)

Thanks again for all the thrills. You blow me away.

Wishing you and your family a blessed and peaceful holiday,
Diane
Old 12-23-2006, 01:09 PM

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for responding so quickly to my post as many others have said it is great being able to pick your brain as you have such a great and wide musical knowledge. It is nice to know that a drummer we all consider great to have been playing around with double bass drum playing since 1982 and still doesn't think he's good at it! You are believe me especially after watching your last gig at the Cambridge Junction!

I think the main problem i'm having is straightening out the accuracy of my 16th notes of anything above 130bpm. I have tried 3, 4 and 5 note runs as well. The main reason being is when you go fast you tend not to use your whole leg but still play heel up. I think I had better start jamming using my left foot and let it develop naturally like I have my right over the years!

Thanks once again and I look forward to PT's next album.

Cheers and Merry Xmas

Gav
Old 12-26-2006, 12:30 AM

Hello Gavin and Merry Christmas.
I have been a good drummer boy and for Christmas I want to get your two DVD's.
Do I need to get them from your web site or can I get them at the local music store in Ontario Canada?
I ordered them last week at the local mucis store, but I thought I saw somewhere that they were only available on your web page since then. The store told me no new orders would be placed before christmas so they would not have even ordered yet. So being excited I was wondering what is the fastest way to get them in my hands.

thanks so much Gavin.
Dean
Old 12-26-2006, 07:33 PM

Gavin,

Do you have calluses from playing or did you at one time ? Cant wait to hear the new PT album and I have to say that after hearing some of the PT in 5.1 its really hard to go back to stereo. Just FYI, there are many many 5.1 releases these days some official and some not. For instance I have the Original Alan Parsons Quad mix of Dark Side Of The Moon which you cannot buy and it blows away the SACD. If you own Dark SIde ( as most people do) I believe its legal to download and I would be happy to tell you where. I would HIGHLY recommend checking it out as I have NEVER heard a more warm and huge sounding recording in my life. One last question if you dont mind concerning recording.

I am trying to record an EP for my band and the drum sound I am capturing isnt cutting it. I am using two Octavia MC-12 overheads in X/Y configuration, sm57 on snare and a very nice AKG on the kick with a Neuman u47 out in the room all running in to a Presonus eight channel firewire mic pre in to Sonar Producers edition.. My issue is getting the snare to not sound like a cap gun ! I have tuned it high and low and cant seem to get a good snare sound. Any suggestions ? Do you think I should be able to achive a good drum sound with this setup ? Hope this wasnt too much for ya.

Thanks again,
Liquid Drummer
Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 AM

Hello................Gavin,
Tryed the cotton balls and found an interesting change in my tomtom sound.
I have had a few complements on them at our last gig.
My sister gave me Rhythmic Horizons for Christmass. i just finished
watching it. I now have some new things to woodshed over the winter.
Thanks for being clear with the explanations of polyrythms, overriding and
resolving.
I have become a dedicated fan.
Happy Holidays
Tom Occhiogrosso
Old 12-28-2006, 07:19 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks,
the fill that you're talking about in "Futile" is 4 groups of 5/16th (the bar in question is 5/4).
Each group is basically the same and the five 16ths of each group is like this

1 - tom/snare together
2 - bass drum
3 - tom/snare together
4- two 32nd bass drum notes
5 - bass drum

Hi GavManB,
I'm really not the person to give you good advice about playing faster 16ths notes on the bass drum. It's not something I tend to do - and there's a lot of guys out there who can do it really well. It took me ages to really get anywhere with double bass drumming - but keep up the practise - you will get there.

Hi Junglelord

"Do I need to get them from your web site or can I get them at the local music store in Ontario Canada?"

You may find my first DVD "Rhythmic Visions" at Amazon or other internet stores. The new DVD "Rhythmic Horizons" is only available from me via my website at the moment.

Hi Liquid_Drummer
"Do you have calluses from playing or did you at one time ?"
Yes I get a lot of calluses - and I'm pleased when they return - usually after about 4 gigs. Although we rehearse - I never seem to play quite as hard and for such an uninterrupted amount of time as I do when we start playing real concerts. So the first few nights of any tour my hands are pretty sore. Once the calluses come back (about 25 of them in total) - everything is much better.

"My issue is getting the snare to not sound like a cap gun ! I have tuned it high and low and cant seem to get a good snare sound. Any suggestions ? Do you think I should be able to achieve a good drum sound with this setup ?"

Does the snare sound really good to your ears when you play it in the room? I'm very fussy about snare sounds - there's a lot of variables in the drum/skin/tension/snare wires and the way that you hit it - before it reaches the mic - and that's not taking into consideration the room itself - which has a huge effect on the snare sound. Keep experimenting. EQ/compression/reverb can help a bit - but if the sound is not happening to start with - these things won't save it.

Hi fearofflying,
yes I tried the cotton wool balls in one of my toms that I thought sustained a little bit too much - and it seems to have done the trick. I really struggled to push them through the air hole on the Sonor drums - so in the end I took the head off and just dropped them in.

Happy Holidays to everyone who reads this thread !!!!

All the best
Gavin
Old 12-28-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
yes I tried the cotton wool balls in one of my toms that I thought sustained a little bit too much - and it seems to have done the trick. I really struggled to push them through the air hole on the Sonor drums - so in the end I took the head off and just dropped them in.
Im glad you brought this up again, Gavin.

After reading about the cotton balls, I tried it on my 14" floor tom.
and......nothing. No difference in sustain whatsoever.
And I also struggled with getting them through the air hole.

To be fair, I only put maybe 6 to 8 of them in there.
Cause I was thinking, if I gotta fill part of my tom w/cotton balls, then I havent done my job tuning the drum.

But hey....I'll have a nice surprise for me next time I change heads. Maybe they will keep the inside bottom head free of dust.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:17 PM

Gavin,

The snare sounds great in the room. Reminds me a lot of Bonhams snare sound on Fool in the Rain which was not intentional. The room is a finished basement with low celings and wood panel walls so the kit is boxey sounding unless I deaden the room. Im using a fiberskin head on the snare because I love the way it eliminates certain overtones without killing all the sustain.

Do you think it is better just to deaden a crappy room and go with artificial reverb if the artificial reverbs are good ?

If you do clinics again do you think it would be practicle to include an engineering/recording segment. I would pay extra for that in a heartbeat.

Thanks again for answering all of our questions. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say this.

Hope the holidays and the new year are happy and fruitfull for you and yours.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:09 PM

Hey Gavin-

I ordered your DVD Rhythmic Horizons yesterday from your website. I usually do not get intimidated by other drummers because my thinking is: "there is always someone else better than you and you just have to go out there and play your best", but I have to say that I am QUITE intimidated at this point and I don't even have your DVD yet. I watched your Rhythmic Visions and I have to say, WOW! I am not even worthy to carry your drum sticks let alone look at them. Do you ever get intimidated by other drummers or do you just not care and go out and do your best?

Happy New Year!

-Rob
Old 12-29-2006, 06:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Liquid_Drummer,
The sound of a snare on it's own via an SM57 is a pretty "bonky" sound. It has to be used in conjunction with the overheads and room mics. Do you use a mic under the snare as well? The part of the low ceiling directly above the snare drum maybe causing you a problem - if it has nothing on it. You might want to try a few tiles stuck to the ceiling directly above the snare drum.

Hi crookedrook,
I'm not particularly intimidated by other drummers - because nobody is better at doing "Gavin Harrison" than me (and there's nobody better at being you than yourself). That is to say - if I'm trying to be Steve Gadd - then the real Steve Gadd will always be better. In the late 70's early 80's I probably played more like Steve Gadd than I had any of my own style, but even then there were drummers who could emulate SG better than me - so it was a futile path. I tried to learn from the influence - but not make it an obsession.
The only important part to me is that I do the best I can do. I know there are drummers who are better technically than me - there's certainly faster drummers and better double bass drum players (and I'm sometimes in awe of their facility on the instrument) - but I know how good I can be....and I'm always trying to push myself to better that. When I fall short of my best - I'm disappointed. It's a battle against myself - not against any other drummer.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-29-2006, 06:25 PM

Your answer was very well said and point noted. We all try and be someone (like Gavin Harrison) that we are not. Instead, we should try and hone our own abilities and short comings and learn from others, not emulate them because most of us do not have the skill or natural ability to play like someone else. Take what you know and make it "your own."

Thanks Gavin,

and Happy New Year! looking forward to the new PT Cd this coming year.

-Rob
Old 12-30-2006, 02:44 PM

Hey Gavin

It is so great to hear guys that you look up to talk about their own playing and "de-mystify" themselves a little bit. It reminds us all that the unabtainable is abtainable. As for you my own playing I am always improving, sometimes it seems that the things I improve on aren't the things I want at that time like speed for example. I can't for the life of me play 16ths with my right hand on the hihat, but I can on the ride on my left and only at lower tempos. But I seem to be somewhat of a natural at playing doulbe bass, and I just got my first double pedal a month ago! Any advice on how to develop one hand 16ths would be great! I can play 16ths on their own but they just don't line up with anything as I speed up.

What draws a lot of people to your playing Gavin is the sum of everything. No you're not the fastest, best double bass player (your pretty damn fast!), maybe not the most technical but a monster none the less! In my eyes your playing is a perfect balance of everything I love about playing the drums. I hate to blow wind up anyones arse but Damn, your good!!!

Thanks for inspiring!
Daniel
Old 12-31-2006, 05:03 PM

Happy New Year everyone ! Any new years resolutions drumming related or otherwise ?

Mine

1. To quit smoking with a new drug called Chantix. (If you smoke you need to read about this pill. NO withdraw or very little !)

2 To get my stubborn left hand to work as well as my right. The fast rebounds just are not as smooth or powerful so really loud double strokes are hard at fast speeds. I have to use improper technique by squeezing hard to get them even at loud volume.

3. To impove my heel/toe speed on the high hat. I have found that I can get the classic 3 note jazz swing pattern with every third note being a splash on that hats and play just about anything over top of it in or out of time. I love when the polyrthym auto pilot kicks in !

4. To get all of Gavin's Dvd's. I do not like puchasing things online and not one of the local music stores has it in stock. I need to be able to touch it first. I am weird like that.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:31 PM

Hi Gavin !

First of all, happy new year of course ! Hope to see you next year again with PT (saw you guys in Amsterdam last September and I liked the show !)
You are one of the few drummers I do like a lot. But I have some questions.

PT is a bit in the Prog Rock scene like marillion and for example dreamtheatre are. What do you think about Phil Collins as a drummer? I think his drumsound is pretty unique, his drumstyle very creative and sponteanous and he did marvellous jobs on stage on the lamb, duke and we cant dance tours.
As you might know, Collins always did doubledrums with his drumming partner for the tours Chester Thompson. Did you ever do doubledrums with other drummers?

I want to pick up drumming again next year if Im finally on my own. Just want to start with a DIY electronical drumkit (as its cheap and doesnt produce much sound on its own which is very good for the neighbours as I will have a small apartment). But the only problem I have is the hihat. Do you know any good electronical hihats as I never found one that emulated a hihat perfectly?
Is this the reason that most drummers have a real hihat with electronical kits? Just because there isnt any good digital hihat?

Thanks for your time here to answer all the questions ! A lot of pro's should do this more and be as nice as you are (instead of the usual ego trippery lots of pro's have)
Old 01-01-2007, 02:15 AM

Hey Gavin,
I was just wondering what drum stuff you been working on lately?
Chris
Old 01-01-2007, 05:18 AM

Hi Mr. Harrison,

I'm 17 years old and I play drums since I'm 15. When I discover In Absentia(And after Deadwing .. And the next soon!) I was amazed by the music and especially the drums work. Your sound , your playing and your littles subtilities are really musical and awesome. You are my biggest inspiration ever. My parents have not a lot of money and we have a really tight budget .. So I play on a really cheap drumset for 2 years ... But the passion grow in me. Recently I buy a Sonor Force 1005 (I work hard for it) and I put some Evans G2 Coated over G1 Coated(Because my music shop didn't have Remo heads grr). Thanks for your unique sense of drumming you are my idol. I'm going to buy all your Rythmics DVD and the new DVD of Porcupine Tree and work all days to be able to play like you. You brings a lot of new ideas in my head and you change my way of drumming. Porcupine Tree is so emotionnal and deep , when I listen to PT I'm in a another world seriously. Thanks for all.

Goodbye
Maxime
Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks

Any advice on how to develop one hand 16ths would be great! I can play 16ths on their own but they just don't line up with anything as I speed up

That's a strange problem. If you're struggling to play fast with your right hand - how's your left hand. Are you left handed? Sounds like you need to practise 16ths at quite slow tempos like around the 70bpm mark to make sure that you gain full control first - before attempting higher speeds. The first exercise in Gary Chester's book "A New Breed" really helped me a lot. You basically play 16ths with both hands together on two hi hats (without any flams) and then play through some simple (at first) bass drum lines - making sure you play them at a tempo that you can accurately line up the bass drum hits with the hands.

Hi Liquid_Drummer

4. To get all of Gavin's Dvd's. I do not like puchasing things online and not one of the local music stores has it in stock. I need to be able to touch it first. I am weird like that.

My latest DVD "Rhythmic Horizons" isn't available in any stores - it's only available via my web site for now.

Hi SantiBanks

What do you think about Phil Collins as a drummer? I think his drumsound is pretty unique, his drumstyle very creative and sponteanous and he did marvellous jobs on stage on the lamb, duke and we cant dance tours.
As you might know, Collins always did doubledrums with his drumming partner for the tours Chester Thompson. Did you ever do doubledrums with other drummers?

I like Phil's drumming sound and style but I can't honesty say that I've followed any of his career. I don't have or know those Genesis albums. I did do a 'double drum' thing with a great Italian drummer called Elio Rivagli - on a tour in 2000. Also I don't know much about electronic kits - I don't have one - but Elio used to play a DDrum kit that I thought was pretty cool.

Hi meandhimcallitus

I was just wondering what drum stuff you been working on lately?

Not much really as I have been busy working. Co-ordination exercises and timing would probably best describe what I do practice in the past few days.

Hi max77,
thanks for the kind words - keep up the good practise.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 01-01-2007, 03:14 PM

Hi Gavin, I've become a huge fan of yours due to your book rhythmic illusions! I can't wait to finish that book and move on to your other book/dvds.
ok, my question is this, I've become counting-obbsessed as of late and wondered how you count when you're playing? take a bar of 4/4 for example. do you just count 1-2-3-4? or 1e&a-2e&a-3e&a-4e&a? or do you count the exact rhythm you are playing over it? or are you comfortable with most stuff that you dont even count anymore?
I play drums in a Tool tribute band and due to the fact that i am a guitar player aswell i got away with just following the guitar riff for most stuff and anything that was a bit tough i just slowed down and counted while i learned it. then, when back in a band situation just played without counting. Too make a long story short, thats what got me thinking about how other drummers go about counting while PERFORMING, not neccessarly how you count while PRACTICING. Thanks for any help and can't wait for the new PT album!

p.s. Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:26 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi jasonmwnf,
I don't count over anything. I do sing the rhythms sometimes in an odd time signature.
The new PT album is coming soon. We're just mixing it at the moment.

Happy New Year to everyone!!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 01-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

Happy new year Gavin!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:35 AM

Hey Gavin

I guess I was kinda vague on my question. no I'm not left handed, I just have problems with playing one-handed 16ths with my right hand at tempos over 90bpm. Any faster than that and I fall apart. I keep working on it and just not making any progress. As a result I tend to play broken 16th patterns. I have a blues guitarists tell me "you have a really bad habit of not hitting your hihat with your snare". I never thought of it as bad, I just considered it part of my style. I only tend to do it when I should be playing straight 16ths at faster tempos and I pull of my hihat when I hit my snare. So now I'm kinda self concious about it. I keep working on it but...........frustrating!!!!

Daniel
Old 01-03-2007, 01:13 AM

Hello Gavin,

this is Holger from Germany. I'm just looking an old video tape, it's Claudio Baglioni live in concert with you on the drums (Olympic Stadium, Rome). This is awesome music, I love listening to his songs and your drumming. We have been so crazy to see a show of him in 99 or 2000 in Switzerland, my seat was right in front of your drumset - VERY nice ;) I loved the fact you guys use rear view mirrors on your sets to finish the songs together!

What I'd like to know: How did the work with Claudio start, and why did you spent so much time in Italy (looking at your discography is quite "italian")?

See ya soon on tour with PT (live show in Essen, 2006 - KILLER!)...

Holger
Old 01-03-2007, 11:24 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi holger2101,

I started working in Italy in 1989 for an Artist called "Alice" - and one thing lead to another quite quickly. I did a lot of sessions and one of the sessions had Claudio's musical director playing guitar.
He invited me to go on tour with Claudio in 1992 and I've worked with him (on and off) ever since. I've had a long association with Italy and in Fact I'm going back there at the end of this month to make 12 clinics.

27/1/07 - Capomulini--Acireale (Sicily)

28/1/07 - Rieti

29/1/07 - Rome

31/1/07 - Empoli

1/2/07 - Carpi --Modena

3/2/07 - Vigliano Biellese

4/2/07 - Tradate--Varese

6/2/07 - Milan

7/2/07 - Mirano--Venezia

8/2/07 - Dragoni--Caserta

10/2/07 - Treviglio--Bergamo

11/2/07 - Cagliari (Sardinia)

There's more details about the venues/contacts for anyone who's interested at my news page

http://www.drumset.demon.co.uk/news.htm

Cheers
Gavin