DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

I thought I had seen you before Gavin!

When I saw you on this site though I did not imagine that you would be drumming for the Artful Dodger. Nothing wrong with it, its just that I did not imagine that your mind bending playing would fit in so I thought it must have been somebody else. My mistake for being ignorant though :)
Old 12-09-2006, 12:21 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Rhythmic Disciple - many thanks.

Hi Titan,
a big lesson that I learnt from Gadd/Porcaro - it's interesting enough to just try to make a simple groove feel right. It's amazing how much you can express with just that. Your personality will come through in your groove. It's good discipline to do a gig like that - it really focuses your mind. I wasn't bored at all, and wasn't even thinking about making clever fills and rhythmic illusions etc. There's nothing nicer than finding that divine synchronicity where everything comes together and a groove is formed. Most of the songs were the same tempo (about 166bpm) as Artful Dodger were the kings of the "UK garage 2 step" which was high dance fashion in 2000.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSound View Post

When I saw you on this site though I did not imagine that you would be drumming for the Artful Dodger. Nothing wrong with it, its just that I did not imagine that your mind bending playing would fit in
Old 12-09-2006, 08:12 PM

Hi Gavin,

I believe it's not what you use but how you use it.
a great example of this would be your custom cymbals.
i am always looking for a sound i believe in.
it's not a shame to copy so i copied the heads you use on my kit and i am really glad i did.
still playing around with the tension though.

i always keep my promises so i will translate your interview with slagwerkkrant
and send it to you

greetings
Fabian
Old 12-09-2006, 08:50 PM

Hey Gavin,

I bet you didn't expect to be talking about the Artful Dodger on a technical Drumming forum!? I agree entirely with what you mentioned previously about the art of making a simple groove FEEL right. In many ways, that ability is probably what separates the good and the great. IMO all the great players provide an extra level of service, if you like, which is groove based as opposed to technical facility.

Thanks again!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:41 AM

Hi, Gavin - I'm glad you haven't been scared away from here yet. :)

One of my favorite PT songs is "Chloroform," one of the In Absentia outtakes. I always pay really close attention to your drum part during the verses, so I thought I'd ask you more about it.

Were you using Hot Rods or something softer than regular sticks on that song? The sticks sound a little softer but sort of "slappy" against the tom heads, which is perfect for the song. Also, I think I'm hearing a 16th-note ticking throughout - were you playing a ride part on a rim or shell?

Also, do you know whether "Chloroform" was ever intended to be two separate songs? I love how it kicks into that hard 3/4 section after the second verse, but it sounds like a totally different song.

I think "Chloroform" is one of SW's most beautiful songs, but I can certainly see why it wasn't on the original IA release - it's VERY different than anything else on the album. You guys should play it live sometime. :)

Regards,

Tracey
Old 12-12-2006, 06:19 AM

First of all, I just want to thank you for responding to everyone's questions here, its awesome that you're willing to do that. You're a huge inspiration for a lot of drummers that I know. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

I'm purchasing a small jazz kit from Gretsch and I my only experience with pedals in my 9 years of drumming was a terrible yamaha pedal that came with my stage custom set and an Iron Cobra double bass pedal. I know that you use Sonor pedals, and I assume they are probably top of the line, but do you have experience with any inexpensive single pedals to reccomend? I don't want to seem cheap but afterall I am a college student. By inexpensive I don't mean dirt cheap, but the kit i'm getting only costs 550, and I do not want to spend half the cost or more of a drumset just on a pedal!

Also, I am a percussion music ed major at a college in New Jersey, and after showing the percussion studio the clips of cymbal song and drum song, the percussion professor asked me if I would like to organize a performance of one or both of the songs. Did you write music for cymbal song and drum song, or was it more of a groove that you just felt and built on? I will be purchasing the dvd soon, and I could probably transcribe anything I need to from it, but I was curious as to if any written music for those songs existed.

On one last note, another member had also mentioned car parts as being great for percussion. In the last percussion ensemble concert at my university, we played all music composed by an amazing writer for percussion named David Hollinden. His setups in many peices are always very detailed and massive. Several people were playing on auto springs in a piece, and they sounded incredible! One spring was a dud, it barely rang at all. But two springs had an incredible amount of overtones and rang longer than large triangles. For anyone thats interested, there are clips of many of Hollinden's pieces on his site. http://www.speakeasy.org/~daveh/
The clips are on the "compositions" page. "Release" is a particularly incredible song of his.

Anyway, sorry for rambling a bit. It'd be great if you could do a drum clinic somewhere in the South Jersey area of the states eventually! Maybe somewhere in Philly?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:04 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Tracey,
yes I really like "Chloroform" too. I don't know why we haven't played it live. I did use "Hot Rods" on that track - and I think the continuous ticking in 16ths that you're hearing are just the notes (and ghost notes) from the "Hot Rods".
I don't know if it was originally two separate songs as you suggest - you'd have to ask Steve.

Hi deadwing_007,
thanks for the comments. Getting the right pedal is a difficult thing (especially on a budget). I would look around for a Sonor Giant Step (maybe on ebay ?). I don't think that they're so expensive. Axis pedals are very expensive. For about 15 years I played a Tama Flexi-flyer and my foot got so use to it - it was very hard to switch to another pedal.

I haven't got transcriptions to the Cymbal Song - or Drum Song - I just wrote it as I recorded it. I'm not sure how you could notate some of the muting patterns anyway, (maybe there''s a conga notation that includes all that?). I'd love to see/hear a live performance of it - could you film it for me?
I'll go and check out David Hollinden - thanks

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
a big lesson that I learnt from Gadd/Porcaro - it's interesting enough to just try to make a simple groove feel right. It's amazing how much you can express with just that. Your personality will come through in your groove

You are totally right there Gavin. People often say "that looks easy" when I play them a simple beat but you then have to try and make them understand exactly what you have just said. You can groove but if notes are not consistent and you do not "lock in" it "disrupts" the groove as it were.

I was never a big fan of Garage/2 Step though....Living in London there were too many rude boys to deal with ;)
Old 12-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi folks,
thanks for the kind words about my drumming. It's very encouraging to know people are enjoying it.

best wishes
Gavin
Hi Gavin, I got the pleasue of watching you at the Montreal Drumfest last month.
I was so pleased to watch you and admire your Sonor kit and the way you play.
I was also glad that I had the pleasure thanks to drummerworld to be familiar with the tune Futile so that when you played it I was right there all along...I am listening to it as I write this and I still get chills and it makes the hair stand up on my arms and neck...chilling.

I believe you are Neil Peart's favorite drummer...I don't doubt it.
I am sure loving your work and the progession of the drumkit and percussion studies as it pertains to your direction that is a masterful blend of pure genius.
I salute you sir...I am forever inspired to take the rhythmic horizons approach.
Cheers

PS do you have any older Sonor kits at home? I was chatting with Todd Sucherman at the montreal show about his old Sonor gear.
I have a Signature kit that is incredible. I was wondering how long have you played Sonor?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks Junglelord,
I've had a lot of good comments about the Montreal show - and especially the sound of that DeLight kit. As I said before I haven't played a bad sounding Sonor kit so far.

I don't have a collection of old Sonor kits at home. I tend not to collect whole drumsets - I've got three others apart from my current Sonor. Cymbals and snare drums are a different matter!!!! In fact I'm hoping to get a new Sonor kit soon. I'll post some pics if and when I get it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-13-2006, 12:12 AM

Well thanks for such a fast reply. I am getting the two DVD's and the books and I look forward to years of inspiration and a new musical journey both personally and as teacher.

I got my Signature kit only several months ago and I love it. I got it from the road drummer for the Monkees, you mention you collect snares and cymbals, boy would you love his Sonor Snare collection.
here is the link to his collection...its sweet.
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...=159810&page=1

What snares have you collected if I may ask please?

Have you played old Signatures? What are your favorite Sonor drums? I ask because of their many fine lines over the years and was curious if you had a personal favorite Sonor Line past or present?

I have three Sonor kits, Signature Bubinga Beech Heavy, 3003 (Maple/Basswood), and a S Class Maple...like you I have never heard a Sonor kit I did not like.

Myself I am totally in love with the Beechwood sound lately but its new to me personally.
I know Steve Smith has a Signature Sonor Anniversary kit coming out thats gonna be Beech.

I assume your getting an SQ2 kit is that correct?
May I ask what shells you are choosing and what drum sizes if you don't mind me asking.

Todd Sucherman could not bear too part with his large Sonor vintage drums and it was nice to talk to him about that, since he is a Pearl rep now he was very generous. Everyone at the festivale was very kind and generous and it was a day I will never forget. Row G 32..a drummers dream come true. Following all those great drummers is a tough spot to be in but you were the iceing on the cake... to follow todd sucherman is never easy!

Congradulations on a fantastic performance at a fantastic show.

I thank you for you reply and God Bless Gavin.

Last edited by junglelord; 12-13-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:12 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Junglelord,
that's one hell of an impressive collection of Sonor snares. When I hinted that I have a snare collection - I'm not in that league - or Todd Sucherman's either.

Here's my list

Sonor 14 x 5 maple Designer blue
Sonor 14 x 5 maple Designer Earth
Sonor 14 x 5 maple DeLight
Sonor 12 x 6 maple Designer Earth
Sonor 10 x 5 maple Designer Earth
Sonor 8 x 4 maple Designer Earth
Sonor Artist series 14 x 5 Black Steel
Sonor Artist series 14 x 6 Cottonwood
Sonor Artist series 13 x 5 (27 ply beech)
Sonor 12 x 5 maple Designer white
Noble & Cooley 14 x 5 one piece maple
Noble & Cooley 14 x 5 black alloy
Yamaha 14 x 4.75 RC Black
Yamaha 14 x 6.5 RC Black
Yamaha 14 x 7 RC Black
Yamaha 14 x 5 RC Cherry
Rogers 14 x5 1961
Pearl 14 x 5.5 Custom Classic one piece maple
Pearl 10 x 5 MLX red
Pearl 14 x 5 MLX red
Pearl 10 x 6 Popcorn
Pearl 14 x 4 JR Robinson
Pearl 13 x 3 maple piccolo
Drumcraft 15 x 5.5 composite shell
Ludwig 400

I came pretty late to Sonor in 2001 so I'm not very familiar with their older lines of drums - but I believe there's some fantastic stuff out there.
Yes my next kit will be SQ2 - the sizes are top secret at the moment !!!

I was pretty nervous having to go on last at the drum fest after all those amazing players - and Todd is certainly one of those!!! I got to hang out a bit with him on the second day and we talked drums for hours and hours. Great fun.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-13-2006, 03:29 PM

Hey Gavin-
I think the mystery has been solved. I can finally post on the forum.

Before you joined PT, how was your popularity different then and now and how are you dealing with it?

Snare question: Does using an Ambassador head for the resonant head deaden the sound to much? I tried it on a Slingerland radio king and it sounded horrible.

Thanks for being such a gentlemen drummer and talking to all us drumming brothers. it means a lot as you would know.

-Rob L.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Yes thanks so much for the reply Gavin. I see your a maple guy at heart. I think your snare collection is nothing to sneeze at and wish you well in your collection.

I put coated ambassadors on my Signature kit on the reso side and batter side for the toms (never tried that before, I always used two different heads) and it works great for that kit. But I am told and I have heard that kit with Pinstripes and it kills with those heads too, one of the few drums that sounds fantastic with the old pinstripes, not like a cardboard box but real resonance and tone but it is a 12 MM beech shell and special hardware, but thats the quality of the Sonor Signature line. I feel blessed to have a kit to call my own as part of my Sonor collection.

I was still wondering about the new kit your getting, are you going SQ2? Are you getting Vintage Maple, Maple Thins? Sorry for being curious, if your keeping it a secret, thats cool. I was floored by the comparions of the different kits at Montreal...each and every company sounded very special. The Delite kit you played was still slightly more appealing to my ears then the rest if only by a smiddgen. I know on the Pearl web site it was voted nicest sounding kit of the show on Saturday, I thought that was interesting. Todd's Pearl kit came a close second in a free round vote and thats the way I heard them.

Hanging with Todd must have been cool for both of you, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at that get together.

You have been so very kind and I want to thank you for allowing us to ask questions...
so thanks so much and unless I get stuck with the books, I will just continue to read along as others take their turn.

God Bless Gavin and I hope santa brings you something nice...like that new kit.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (three weeks to go, can you believe it?)
Dean Ward

Last edited by junglelord; 12-13-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:53 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi crookedrook,
glad you made it at last.

I had a bit of profile before I joined PT - but I moved in different circles - more to do with 'groove' R&B gigs such as Lisa Stansfield, Incognito, Lewis Taylor, Paul Young, Level 42, Go West and Artful Dodger. I suppose the rise in popularity with PT has changed the way people see my drumming. They might only know me from PT records - which are substantially different in music style to the above.

Do you mean an Ambassador reso snare head - or a regular Ambassador put on the snare side? I presume you mean the former of the two. I've had no feeling that it was deadening my snare sound - but I don't like a really ringy snare anyway. I've tried a Diplomat snare reso but they used to blow out during gigs - so then on I moved up to Ambassadors.

Hi Junglelord,
yes as you can see I favour the 5" depth (usually in maple) - I really can't find my voice in a 7" or 8" depth of snare. I'm still thinking about the shell thickness for the SQ2. Probably I'll just go with thin shells - the same as my set here at home.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-13-2006, 05:00 PM

thanks Gavin your a scholar and a gentleman. You had already answered my question in your last post but my mind was kinda wandering as I was reading your snare list, and I must have gone brain dead by the end of the list....LOL!

"I came pretty late to Sonor in 2001 so I'm not very familiar with their older lines of drums - but I believe there's some fantastic stuff out there.
Yes my next kit will be SQ2 - the sizes are top secret at the moment !!!"
end of quote

...sorry for asking it twice.
I have post concussion syndrome, so my mistake.
I hope it gave you a chuckle....I am honoured to have spoken to you.
Cheers.
Dean Ward
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 PM

In your DVD instructional video-Rhythmic Visions, that's when I was introduced to your jazz playing-I love the jazz songs you added in there.

I love your face expressions when your playing both styles (Jazz and PT's) and notice your enjoyment in being able to play both styles-am I correct on this? and when we spoke before- you had mentioned studying under an ex-Berkley student. Is he a known or unknown drummer?

How effective is the Moeller Method and do you use it?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:10 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi crookedrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedrook View Post
I love your face expressions when your playing both styles (Jazz and PT's) and notice your enjoyment in being able to play both styles-am I correct on this?
I hate those ridiculous facial contortions that I make when I'm playing sometimes. Photographers always manage to capture it on live gig shoots. I tried to edit out as many as I could from my DVD's - but a few still crept in. I do enjoy playing different styles though.

When I was 17 years old I studied with ex-Berklee student Dave Cutler - who was there for 3 years in the 70's and I believe had lessons with Gary Chaffee amongst others. Dave showed me some mind blowing stuff.

I'm not aware of me consciously using the Moeller technique. I've never studied it. I do have a particular way of holding the sticks (right at the very back end) which Brad Schlueter managed to photograph for an article in a recent issue of DRUM! magazine.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 PM

If we did not make facial expressions when we played, we all would be "bump on the log"

Hey! one last question for the day (for me anyway) these S-hoops that you are using, how come the drum manufactures never came up with this design to protect the bearing edges and to enhance the sound of the drum and from what I can tell-they are expensive.

Rob
Old 12-14-2006, 03:02 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi crookedrook,
I don't know why drum companies haven't thought of these before.
I like to use cut down dampening rings on my snare and they can tuck under the rim of the S-Hoops so they don't fly out accidentally. I like the feel and sound difference they make.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-14-2006, 04:48 PM

Gavin-

I was at a local Guitar Center the other day and was talking to one of the sales associates about the new pedal (BOA) that PDP/DW has now. I was told that it was in comparison with the Axis, but better. The new PDP BOA pedal does not have any springs or moving parts at all, just a couple adjustments to make at the end of the footboard. Have you heard about this new pedal or can anyone comment on it?

How long did it take you to get use to your Axis pedal?

Rob L
Old 12-14-2006, 07:10 PM

Hello Gavin

I am a complete PT junkie! I was a pretty huge fan after I heard the Stupid Dream album and had collected a few albums. When I heard they had replaced their drummer (Chris Maitland) I was kind of bummed out because I really enjoyed his playing. When I finally heard In Absentia I completely freaked out. I had never heard of you before but you instantly became my new favorite drummer and being somewhat obsessive compulsive I had to find everything I could get my hands on that you have done. I have all your educational stuff (books & DVDs) and they are hard as hell but I have learned so many cool things that I always wondered "how in the hell do you play that". So totally worth the frustration :)

What I really want to know is, the 5 (I think?) bell cymbals on the left of your kit. Are they something that is available or were they custom made? I hear them throughout a lot of your stuff and they just sound soooooo friggin cool. And is there anyway you could transcribe what you are playing on Mother and Child Divided? What a crazy groove!!!

If you read this thank you so much for your time. Listening to your playing has pushed me to a whole new level of obsession towards my drums and I'm just loving it!!! Thank you thank you thank you.
Cheers
Daniel
Old 12-14-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbersticks View Post
What I really want to know is, the 5 (I think?) bell cymbals on the left of your kit. Are they something that is available or were they custom made? I hear them throughout a lot of your stuff and they just sound soooooo friggin cool.
Dude! Check out page 15; there's some good stuff there.
I hate to jump in here, but Gavin has answered this question numerous times throughout the thread. :)
Old 12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks,
As Sonor points out - there's quite a few Q&A about the mini cymbals in the previous pages.
Here's a copy of my answer from an earlier page about "Mother & Child divided"....

I actually did a CD lesson on this track for a UK magazine called Rhythm.
The basic pattern is in 10/16

k - - k - k - s - - (this is Kick and Snare)

then the whole pattern is played over 2 bars of 4/4 - so it's 3 times through the 10/16 pattern then 2/16 on the end to make it fit into a two bar slot.

k - - k - k - s - - k - - k - k : - s - - k - - k - k - s - - k - : (This last kick I sometimes playas a bass drum triplet roll). Of course you need to accent quarter notes on the hi hat above this pattern.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Rob,
I haven't tried the BOA pedal but I am curious.

Quote:
Gavin-

I was at a local Guitar Center the other day and was talking to one of the sales associates about the new pedal (BOA) that PDP/DW has now. I was told that it was in comparison with the Axis, but better. The new PDP BOA pedal does not have any springs or moving parts at all, just a couple adjustments to make at the end of the footboard. Have you heard about this new pedal or can anyone comment on it?

How long did it take you to get use to your Axis pedal?

Rob L
Probably a few weeks - they have a very particular feel. As I said before I spent many years playing the Tama Flexi-flyer and it was hard to get off that....but ultimately very worthwhile because I could play things on the Axis I hadn't been able to on previous pedals.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-14-2006, 08:46 PM

Hi Gavin,

what series of Sonor were you using in those pictures on your Drummerworld page (the trumpet and your drum room...I assume they're the same set)? Was that your first kit with Sonor?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:21 PM

Gavin-
I know what I've been meaning to ask you: When you listen to Neil Peart's work with Rush you notice a lot of paradiddles and many of the famous drum rudiments that Neil used. Do you try and incorporate a lot of paradiddles in your songs with PT and do you use the "Heal-Toe" method when playing the kick drum? (I think you might have all ready answered that question before)

here's a link to our band's website www.crookedrook.com if anyone is interested. If you notice in the: Main Influence part PT is listed-Oh Yea!

-Rob

Last edited by crookedrook; 12-14-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:51 PM

I have to appologize cause I am gonna totally geek out!!! Gavin Harrison just responded to me!!!! Sorry again about that.

You have got to be kidding me about the mini splashes.....I have been throwing out cymbals for years and I could have had at least half a dozen of those.......I could cry!

Gavin, are there any books that you have personally used that you feel really helped your playing? I saw that you used "New Breed" and was already thinking about picking it up. Any other recomendations? I just joined the forum today and don't have the time to read through every page, so sorry if you have answered this question already.

I can't wait for the new album....the suspence is gonna kill me!!!
Have you guys ever considered touring western Canada? (More specifically Calgary, Alberta!!)

Daniel
Old 12-14-2006, 10:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Sonor,
The picture with the trumpet was my first Sonor kit - a Delight in blue and I use those in my first DVD Rhythmic Visions. After that I got the Designer in Earth finish.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonor View Post
what series of Sonor were you using in those pictures on your Drummerworld page (the trumpet and your drum room...I assume they're the same set)? Was that your first kit with Sonor?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:12 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Rob,
I'm going to disappoint you now.
I don't try and incorporate paradiddles into any song and I don't use "heel toe" either.

cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Gavin-
I know what I've been meaning to ask you: When you listen to Neil Peart's work with Rush you notice a lot of paradiddles and many of the famous drum rudiments that Neil used. Do you try and incorporate a lot of paradiddles in your songs with PT and do you use the "Heal-Toe" method when playing the kick drum?
-Rob
Old 12-14-2006, 10:16 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Daniel,
I used the systems that you can apply to Ted Reed's Syncopation book. I believe Alan Dawson taught many of these systems. I got them from Dave Cutler the ex-Berklee graduate who taught me in my late teen years.

We have never been offered gigs in Calgary to my knowledge. Who knows what will happen in the future.

cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbersticks View Post
Gavin, are there any books that you have personally used that you feel really helped your playing? I saw that you used "New Breed" and was already thinking about picking it up. Any other recomendations?
Have you guys ever considered touring western Canada? (More specifically Calgary, Alberta!!)

Daniel
Old 12-14-2006, 10:25 PM

Gavin

Thank you so much for your time. It was awsome to get to talk to you, even if indirectly.

Cheers
Daniel
Old 12-14-2006, 10:41 PM

Well, I guess I'm done with this forum then. I'm disappointed-JUST KIDDING!!!!

I really appreciate you taking time to answer our "simple minded" questions. I'm like a sponge when it comes to drums; if you have something to teach, I will soak it up.

I had another question about the resonant amabassador heads you use. Are they the medium clear and not the regular Ambassador heads?

Thanks a bunch for your time.

-Rob

Last edited by crookedrook; 12-15-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:13 AM

Hey Gavin

I was working on the over-riding section of Horizons and I found myself not working on the exercises but trying to figure out your pick ups and fills. If you had any though of doing another DVD That is exactly what you should cover!!! So creative and cool. If possible could you break down the pick up fill you play at the begining of exercise # 8 in overriding part 1. You are playing between your second tom, snare and hi-hat.

And I love that you have "Sound of Muzak" in there. I just love that song, groove, and well everything about it really.

Thanks
Daniel
Old 12-17-2006, 12:41 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks,
I just checked the DVD and the fill you're referring to is just triplets grouped into 5's (RLRRL) . I explain this sticking in chapters 18/19 of the "Resolving" chapter - later in the disc.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-17-2006, 05:26 PM

Hey Gavin

Well there it is.....sweet!!! I obviously just started this DVD and haven't looked through all of it.
There's a lot of stuff in here thats for sure. Worth every penny. I still think you could easily fill a DVD with fill ideas and concepts. So get to work :) LOL. Thanks so much for answering my questions, very cool of you!!!

Chow
Daniel
Old 12-18-2006, 04:17 PM

Hello Gavin, I've recently become a huge fan of PT and your drumming after watching the "Arriving.."DVD. I've been playing for close to 20 years now, pro for the last 10, and have been through a few major label deals, done a bit of touring and some extensive theatre work. I joined a full time cover band last year and although playing 4-5 nights a week, have felt my drumming has really suffered for it. I just wanted to thank you for reinvigorating and inspiring new creativity in my drumming. Your drumming and PT's music have given me the spark I've needed. One question?? After recording new material and then touring behind those songs, do you get frustrated that some of the licks or grooves that you''ve developed on tour are more creative or more musical than the ones you did on the record? Because some of the ideas you use live on songs like a Halo, Blackest, Muzak, Start of.., I really miss on the studio versions..do you??

thanks again
Old 12-18-2006, 04:40 PM

Gavin,

You are one of the most under-rated drummers around today. Your style meshes perfectly with PT. Needless to say, I am a big fan of the band and your playing. Always creative with many challenging moments. Your sound and mix with the music, again, a perfect blend, at least to me. I hope to one day find a drum tablature book, at the local music, store of your playing. Do you offer any on-line tab of your playing? I am particularly interested in the beginning of "Blackest Eyes".

Thanks and I can't wait to hear your work on the new CD.

:)
Old 12-18-2006, 05:14 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Iamperjay,
thanks for the nice comments.
I suppose it's just the nature of progression. I've been playing songs like Blackest Eyes and Sound Of Muzak for 4 years now - and I can't bear to keep playing exactly the same thing night after night. When we first played them I probably played close to what I had recorded but as the tours progressed I started to try different ideas (some of which I hadn't even thought of when I recorded them) and some of them seemed to work - so I would progress along those lines.

Sometimes huge amounts of time slip by from recording the songs to them even being released. When Deadwing was released - I'd recorded the drums about a year before that.
Listening to the songs over that year - I already had some new ideas about some of the songs. At the end of the day - all that is important is that you do the best you can possibly do at the time.
There's always a certain amount of loosening up and relaxing once you've got a few dates into a tour - and from night to night things happen - so it's no wonder to me that my playing mutates over time. Put it this way - it's better this way round than the other.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamperjay View Post
One question?? After recording new material and then touring behind those songs, do you get frustrated that some of the licks or grooves that you''ve developed on tour are more creative or more musical than the ones you did on the record? Because some of the ideas you use live on songs like a Halo, Blackest, Muzak, Start of.., I really miss on the studio versions..do you??

thanks again
Old 12-18-2006, 05:18 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi there The Beat of Gypsy Messiah,
Thanks for the kind words. I know that track was written out in an issue of Modern drummer about a year ago. I couldn't tell you which issue it is right now - but if you know someone with a Modern Drummer collection - you'll find it. There are no books that I know of with drum tabs of PT tunes.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beat of Gypsy Messiah View Post
I hope to one day find a drum tablature book, at the local music, store of your playing. Do you offer any on-line tab of your playing? I am particularly interested in the beginning of "Blackest Eyes".

Thanks and I can't wait to hear your work on the new CD.

:)