Ludwig Classic Maple Set

Clayton_C

This is my set at school. I'm actually unsure exactly what model it is (there's no labeling on any of the drums) but it looks closest to the "Classic Maple Set" I believe.

SPECS:
10", 13", 14" rack toms
14" snare (stock)
LP Cowbell w/ Muffling
Sabian AAX Stage HiHats
Avedis Zildjian Orchestral Suspended Cymbal
AAX Stage Crash
AAX Stage Ride
Avedis Zildjian Medium Crash w/ Rivets
Pearl Stock HiHats

IMGP3417.jpg

IMGP3425.jpg

IMGP3420.jpg

IMGP3424.jpg

IMGP3423.jpg

Yep thats a classic maple alright! Man, you're SO lucky to have that kind of set at school, all we got is a nasty old premier cabria...

Natural finish luddy classic maples... you can't beat that look. And they've got to sound just as good as they look. Nice cymbals setup too. Sorry, but that tilted logo takes a lot of class away from the set. Please tell me you put it right side-up for concerts!!

Of COURSE we set the logo right! I don't know why it's that way (it was perfectly fine the last time I took off that head to put a couple sweaters in for muffling), but since I need to take a sweater or two OUT now, I'll be sure to set things right!
Thanks for the comments.
Yes, they sound awesome, especially with those Remo Pinstripe heads - perfect amount of tonality and punch. The snare is my least favorite part of the set actually, being somewhat hard to get a warm feel out of, no matter what combination of tuning and new heads I try, it just sounds slightly out of place in the lower register. So I usually keep all the drums fairly cranked up.
The odd thing is: there's a Ludwig Supra-Phonic laying not 10 feet away which our band director insists on using as a CLASSICAL snare (which is complete foolishness, in my opinion, having played with some plenty of professional symphony percussionists) and I just know it would have the perfect range of sound for the set... but oh well.

looking at that set makes me want one, That may be my next investment........maybe. Very nice set. We had a 1957 slingerland at my school, Which I bought from them after I graduated.

Natural finish luddy classic maples... you can't beat that look. And they've got to sound just as good as they look. Nice cymbals setup too. Sorry, but that tilted logo takes a lot of class away from the set. Please tell me you put it right side-up for concerts!!

I agree, but look at his avatar, the logo is upright there, so he is on the level..;)

Haha, precisely. Yes, my school lets me take it in drum cases to gigs sometimes, especially when it's a boomier venue and my Sonors would bang the place up a bit more. They're great drums all around.

Brings back memory's back in the 80's when I was in jazz band in school(the only band in school with a full set of drums) we had a old Ludwig "Rocker" trad. 5-piece set up I would've love too have a classic maple set-up that natural finish is beautiful.My favorite tune we did back then was "straight no chaser" still one of my favorite jazz tunes of all-time. you're lucky too play nice Luddies like that.have fun I'm sure you will.

Bonzolead

wow. those cymbals look great.
the positioning of the drums and heads are exactly the same as my kit.
and i have got all of the sabian cymbals (and more) that that kit has.

Thanks for all the kind words!
I played with the school jazz ensemble for the first rehearsal of the year today and the setup definitely works like a charm for big band playing, although the pianist kept telling me to be quiet when, in fact, the rest of the band needed to play LOUDER...they were somewhere around a metso-forte... and they should have been nearer to double forte. anyway.
The set is pretty killer for combo work, too, even at it's size.
I played a montuno-heavy arrangement of Caravan with my pianist and used brushes on the set... pretty sick stuff... I'll post sound recordings once I can get some mics set up in there.

Back