Fibreglass drums?

icedgreece

Hey guys, I'm new here (but not a new drummer).

I've been looking at these Pearl Fibreglass drums. I'm not sure the specific type, but I know everything you see is original.

4605bd8_20.jpeg

7315741_20.jpeg

They look really nice. The symbols were handpicked Avidus Zildjian .

Who has played/heard of these? Are they good for more Hard Rock/Metal playing?

Thanks a lot!

Those are Pearl's original fiberglass drums, c1971 (except the snare, which is a Milestone and later became Tempus.)

They didn't get a great reception when they were new, but that was mostly due to the limited variety of heads at the time. Today with improved head technology, fiberglass, Vistalites and stainless kits are enjoying a rebirth.

A very nice assortment, grab it if you can!

Bermuda

Those are Pearl's original fiberglass drums, c1971 (except the snare, which is a Milestone and later became Tempus.)

They didn't get a great reception when they were new, but that was mostly due to the limited variety of heads at the time. Today with improved head technology, fiberglass, Vistalites and stainless kits are enjoying a rebirth.

A very nice assortment, grab it if you can!

Bermuda

I forgot to mention, it's $4000, and about a $50 dollar gas fill up round trip. I might be able to get him down a few hundred.

I can always replace the heads, but they are new.

Drums as far as the eyes can see. Peter Criss set, to the max. He jammed a fiberglass Pearl concert tom set (huge) like that. And Remo Pinstripe heads ... very common to see those on fiberglass drums.

I forgot to mention, it's $4000, and about a $50 dollar gas fill up round trip. I might be able to get him down a few hundred.

I can always replace the heads, but they are new.

I think that's a tad pricey, although I suppose the cymbals account for about 25% of the price. Still, $3000 would be much more attractive, especially in today's economy.

Bermuda

So you guys DO think it's too expensive? I doubt he will lower it down, he seems pretty confident in the kit after talking to him.

Confidence is a great quality, but, I've seen some of the same kits listed on eBay ... week after week ... month after month. Some cats can hold out for "just that right buyer". Others just need the cash, and if the drums don't sell high, then ya gotta lower the price. Only time will tell.

So you guys DO think it's too expensive? I doubt he will lower it down, he seems pretty confident in the kit after talking to him.

Remember, he doesn't determine what the kit will sell for... the buyer does. But, he's welcome to attempt to sell it for whetever he wants. When enough people tell him it's too high, he'll have to adjust if he really wants to sell.

But you can't compare a large kit from almost 40 years ago to a large kit today, from Pearl or anyone else. There's the "used" factor, general lack of desirability for fiberglass, and old Pearls simply aren't that collectable. Not that they're bad drums - quite the opposite - there's just not any real demand for them.

Unless of the course the price is irresistable or at least attractive.

The seller is going to have a tough time finding someone to cough up $4,000 without an argument, especially in the current economy here in the US.

Seriously, those drums would be a more realistic value at $3,000, and I think $2,500 would be a fair price.

Bermuda

Sure he is. He has a sentimental attachment to them. To him, they are worth $4000. But he's not the buyer.

There's the "used" factor, general lack of desirability for fiberglass, and old Pearls simply aren't that collectable. Not that they're bad drums - quite the opposite - there's just not any real demand for them.
This. Just because the drums are old does not mean they are "vintage" or "collectible".

You see this all the time in drums ads, where some one lists a kit as "rare" because there were only so many of them made, and the seller thinks this "rareness" adds value, without taking into account that perhaps it's rare because not many people bought them to begin with, and there was never much of a demand for them.

And I'm just not a fan of those 70's style tom arms. They don't make them like that anymore for a reason.

Alright. Well I doubt I can get him down $1000. I'm not sure how they sound and I have no time to go up there "just to look".

I guess I'll hold off. I've been looking at a new Pearl Forum at a local music store for $2700. Perhaps I'll start there, or just hold off.

Alright. Well I doubt I can get him down $1000. I'm not sure how they sound and I have no time to go up there "just to look".

I guess I'll hold off. I've been looking at a new Pearl Forum at a local music store for $2700. Perhaps I'll start there, or just hold off.

Might I ask where you live?

A Pearl Forum shouldn't cost any where near $2700. Unless we're not taking $US.

Might I ask where you live?

A Pearl Forum shouldn't cost any where near $2700. Unless we're not taking $US.

Alberta, Canada.

I know it's more of a beginner kit, but who knows. "The Drum Shop" here has a lot of kits, so I can always build one myself, although it will become pricey.

double%20black%20forum%20full%20sizeno%20cymbals.jpg

That's it, except it comes with a ride, I think 3 symbols (might be 2), and the hihat. Same amount of toms and the double bass. Oh, it also had a rack the toms and symbols were attached to. The toms weren't on the double bass. I might be able to grab a picture of it tomorrow I head into the city.

Yeah glad you held off on the pearl that was waaaay to high a price in my book

Also a Symbol is something like this @ #

A Cymbal is something a drummer plays (sorry pet peeve)

Check out eBay, these prices you're giving ... are way high ... Here's a Pearl JJ kit ... with a BIN of $1800 ... http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Piece-Pearl-E...aultDomain_0&hash=item45f8a0b2ad#ht_755wt_913 ... and I bet it won't sell.​
Here's a Pearl Pro double bass DLX kit ... http://cgi.ebay.com/9pc-Pro-DLX-Pea...aultDomain_0&hash=item3364f85979#ht_718wt_913 .... with a Paiste gong and a Black Beauty snare ... BIN is $3000.​

Everything thing here is high and I'm not prepared to buy a kit from ebay. I would go to the states and look, but I know customs would be hell.

The Joey Jordison one looks a little beat up. The Van Halen tribute is nice, but it's used and only $100 away from a new one.

Check out eBay, these prices you're giving ... are way high ... Here's a Pearl JJ kit ... with a BIN of $1800 ... http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Piece-Pearl-E...aultDomain_0&hash=item45f8a0b2ad#ht_755wt_913 ... and I bet it won't sell.​
Here's a Pearl Pro double bass DLX kit ... http://cgi.ebay.com/9pc-Pro-DLX-Pea...aultDomain_0&hash=item3364f85979#ht_718wt_913 .... with a Paiste gong and a Black Beauty snare ... BIN is $3000.​

haha....12 Zilgians.

At least for $3K the seller is throwing in the gong.

Everything thing here is high and I'm not prepared to buy a kit from ebay.
I'm not necessarily saying to buy a kit off eBay, but use eBay as a price guide.​
I would go to the states and look, but I know customs would be hell.
I found my Ludwig kit (26, 13, 16, 18) on eBay, but the pick-up was local. Same with a recent computer table purchase. It's a shopping tool, is all.​

The Joey Jordison one looks a little beat up.
Sure, but it's basically the same "animal" as a double kick Pearl Forum. The newest, most expensive Forum/Vision 5 piece is $679. Double that, to get a 10 piece double kick set .... $1358. Your price was $2700, that's simply crazy.
The Van Halen tribute is nice, but it's used
And the Pearl "fiberglass" kit you were looking at is "new"?​
and only $100 away from a new one.
I don't even know what kit you're referring to here, since Pearl stopped making the DLX. A 22" Paiste gong alone, costs $450. A Ludwig Black Beauty snare, $450-600, depending on model. So, take $1000 off the top, for those 2 items, and you get a double kick, pro-level Pearl set for $2K.​
As opposed to $2700, for a Forum kit, or $4K, for the fiberglass "monster" kit.​

Remember, he doesn't determine what the kit will sell for... the buyer does. But, he's welcome to attempt to sell it for whetever he wants. When enough people tell him it's too high, he'll have to adjust if he really wants to sell.

But you can't compare a large kit from almost 40 years ago to a large kit today, from Pearl or anyone else. There's the "used" factor, general lack of desirability for fiberglass, and old Pearls simply aren't that collectable. Not that they're bad drums - quite the opposite - there's just not any real demand for them.

Unless of the course the price is irresistable or at least attractive.

The seller is going to have a tough time finding someone to cough up $4,000 without an argument, especially in the current economy here in the US.

Seriously, those drums would be a more realistic value at $3,000, and I think $2,500 would be a fair price.

Bermuda

Yeah, I would tend to agree with your price assessment.

I have heard fiberglass drums and they sound terrific, yet weigh very little. Didn't you used to play on an Impact fiberglass set?

Back