Tuning - Pinstripe with evans resonant

tones

I'm using pinstripe heads for the first time in a long time. I can't seem to find any sort of pitch from the toms at all. I have approached the tuning from a few different angles ie. tuning the bottom heads higher, tuning the top heads higher, keeping them the same pitch but when i'm bringing them up to pitch they go from flat sounding (untuned) to choked as if it's over tuned.I bring them up to pitch slowly generally so I don't think I over shot it.

any tips with pinstripe heads???......or is is the evans "resonant" heads im using??

I'm not a great tuner but I can generally make a good fist at it, however this time I can't get a note out of it at all!!!

any help would be appreciated!

Yeah, pins are made to be less resonant sounding. If you want the most open sound, I would tune both heads about even and pretty loose. On the top use a hand to put pressure on the head and tune up until just after all the wrinkles go away. I've seen this used for kick tuning, and I like it on my toms.

I have a lovely set of DW custom drums. The resonant heads are literally called evans resonant. Perhaps I should buy a slightly heavier skin like a G1 instead.

It does seem to a little more responsive when it is barely tuned up. I know the trick your talking about PreppieNerd, ill use that to get them just up to pitch so.

Tuning just above wrinkle is great for the deepest real tone the drum will produce. You can use it for higher tunings too by firmly depressing the head in the center with your thumb. This induces wrinkles at a much higher pitch.

I think the issue is mostly the Pinstripes. They're as dead as hell, exactly what they're designed to be. They're the 80's alternative to rolls of gaffer tape, ack!

I have a lovely set of DW custom drums. The resonant heads are literally called evans resonant. Perhaps I should buy a slightly heavier skin like a G1 instead.

It does seem to a little more responsive when it is barely tuned up. I know the trick your talking about PreppieNerd, ill use that to get them just up to pitch so.

If it were me I wouldn't be putting pins on DW. You paid quite a bit of money for those shells and the resonance they provide. Pinstripes will take all that away. I'd lean towards a single ply like an ambassador or emperor for the batter.

Back in the 90s, I had some trouble with Pinstripes: I could not get new ones to sound as good as old ones. This happened several times on different drums. That is when I switched to Evans. Muffled and dead are two different things. I have used other Remo heads since then, but no Pinstripe will ever go on one of my drums.

Next someone will probably have a story about how Evans did not work and how Pinstripes saved the day. Peace and goodwill.

well there's a the guts of a hundred euro not so well spent!!

That's learning a lesson the hard way. I used to use them when I first started playing and haven't used them since. for some reason I had it in my head that they were good and seeing as i'm in the middle of a "what's the best head for my kit" crisis I decided to give them a go.

thanks for all the info chaps!!

well there's a the guts of a hundred euro not so well spent!!

That's learning a lesson the hard way. I used to use them when I first started playing and haven't used them since. for some reason I had it in my head that they were good and seeing as i'm in the middle of a "what's the best head for my kit" crisis I decided to give them a go.

thanks for all the info chaps!!

My recommendation when trying to decide on heads for your kit is pick a head and just do one drum and see how it tunes for you and how it sounds on that drum. Once you find the one that sounds best then do the rest of the kit..

Back