Help with joining a band

SmithyDrummer

I've been playing drums for 6 years now and im still not in a band! Lately i've started taking my practice more seriously by making structured plans and practicing for 1-3 hours a night. I live in a rural part of Scotland and i've numerous times to starts bands with my friends but they just arent interested. I want to be pro but im struggling to find any bands that need a drummer and no one wants to form a band. Its really holding my proggression back and i need help! thanks

Are there any jam sessions at the local pubs? That's a good way to meet like minded people, or perhaps a college music class.

I've been playing drums for 6 years now and im still not in a band! Lately i've started taking my practice more seriously by making structured plans and practicing for 1-3 hours a night.

The amount of time you've been practicing really doesn't have any relation to your ability to play in a band. It's more about the networking you've done, how many players with similar interests are in your area, and how many other musicians are around your skill level.

Practicing is a great way to become a better drummer, but the best drummer in the world won't have a band if he's not in the right place or time to start/join a band.

I live in a rural part of Scotland and i've numerous times to starts bands with my friends but they just arent interested. I want to be pro but im struggling to find any bands that need a drummer and no one wants to form a band.

A big part of working as a musician is going to where the gigs/bands are. I don't know Scotland very well, but if you're in a rural area, it may be that there isn't a huge demand for another band, or another drummer... That's part of the business, whether pro or hobbyist, it all comes down to supply vs demand.

Is there much of a music scene in your town, or the surrounding area? What is the music like? If you are a metal drummer, but all the bars are only hiring classic rock, you probably aren't going to get work, or find many players.

Why won't your friends start a band with you? Are they serious musicians, or are they into different styles than you?

I'm near Boston, and there are 5-6 music schools in the city, with tons and tons of clubs that have live music. Because of that, there are tons of musicians here, to the point where it is extremely competitive. If I lived in a rural town, far away from a city, I'm not sure that I could survive by just playing the drums. In the US, if you want to make it as a pro, you typically have to live in one of the big music cities (New Orleans, New York, Boston, LA, Portland, Seattle, Nashville, et cetera), because that's where the players are, and that's where the gigs are.

I think you should find some live music in your area, and start to network. Find out where bands are playing, find out the type of music that bars are hiring, and start building a network. Eventually, if there is a music scene, you'll find something, but it's going to depend on the number of serious players and the number of available gigs.

Have you tried joinmyband.co.uk? If you're on Facebook there may be pages for musicians in your area, too.

Are there any jam sessions at the local pubs? That's a good way to meet like minded people, or perhaps a college music class.
Cheers for the advice but ive checked the pubs (theres only two in my village) and all they play is live acoustic nights for Ed Sheeran wanna be's haha

Cheers for the advice but ive checked the pubs (theres only two in my village) and all they play is live acoustic nights for Ed Sheeran wanna be's haha
My friend has another drummer in his other band who drives all the way from Las Vegas to Los Angeles just to practice in that band. (250 miles).

What I am saying is that you may have to expand your area of interest. Like what TC is saying.

ive checked the pubs (theres only two in my village) and all they play is live acoustic nights for Ed Sheeran wanna be's haha

You have TWO pubs in your village? Crikey - compared to where I live, that's a city!

Yeah, you may well end up needing to travel, but the first thing I'd do is have a word at the pubs (if you haven't already), suggest adding drums to the acoustic night, and turning it into a jam night.

have a word at the pubs (if you haven't already), suggest adding drums to the acoustic night

I echo this sentiment. Make your self available at open-mics. Learn to work a snare with brushes, learn to work a tambourine and various shaken instruments. A full kit may be a impractical, so you're going to have to learn to work outside of your normal comfort zone.

Last edited:
Learn to work a snare with brushes, learn to work a tambouring and various shaken instruments. A full kit may be a impractical, so you're going to have to learn to work outside of your normal comfort zone.

Good idea. A cajon is portable, versatile and useful.

Google Maps show me a place name every 5 to 10 km in Scotland. You have to get out further and drive beyond your village. Post ads on websites and in any music shops and pubs. I'm sure the countryside is great and one could enjoy a nice drive 30 minute drive (in that great Scottish weather) to a practice or a jam :p

Back