Bands you're embarrased to say you like...

daredrummer

Gold Member
I've always had a few bands that I think are awesome, but seem a little bit embarassing to share.

Here are 4 that come to mind for me.

Avenged Sevenfold. Now I'm normally not a metal head, but I think A7X is just awesome (with the exception of their first 2 albums). Probably get made fun of by all you jazz-heads :p (although i love jazz just as much!)

Simple Plan. They just seem kind of a wierd band for a drummer to like, most of there stuff is really simple, and i'd say they're not too far off from being a boy band. There stuff just relaxes me lol.

The Counting Crows. Cheesy I know. I think there stuff is really catchy and fun to sing along to though.

Linkin Park. I know rap is mainly frowned upon in the drumming community. I think linkin park does a good job of incorporating real sounds along with computetized stuff though. Once again, catchy stuff, and they have some cool guitar riffs.

What about you guys? What are the bands that you're just a little embarrased to admit you like???

Gosh....Jojo Mayer's Nerve.....anything Miles Davis did during his electric period....Mahavishnu...Tony Williams and that tragic Lifetime project.....after hearing Justin Bieber, everything is just so embarrassing ;)

In a word...Motown.

The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Four Tops, Jr. Walker & The All Stars, Smokey Robinson, Wilson Picket, Barrett Strong, The Contours, Jimmy Ruffin...geez i could go on and on. I'm a young guy and this music came along way before my time but i love listening to it. IMO this was some of the best music ever written. My friends look at me like i've lost my mind whenever i say anything about listening to it. lol

Modern bands i generally don't tell anyone i listen to...
1. Blink 182...and it's not because of Travis Barker ( rolls eyes)
2. Pillar, Skillet..Christian Rock get's slammed by alot of people but there is some great music there if you give it a chance.
3. Creed..Alot of people call these guys a Pearl Jam rip off. Doesn't bother me i think they are a cool band.
4. Nickleback...IMO another cool band that gets slammed alot. I enjoy Daniel Adairs' drumming is the biggest reason i listen to them though.

King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, Captain Beefheart, Mahavishnu O.

When I'm hanging out with other women these are not bands I talk about - ever. Roughly equivalent to you guys telling your band that you're right into Lady Gaga and Keisha.

It's just embarrassing ... but life would be less fun without our little guilty pleasures :)

Davethis, David Sylvian is great! How could he be uncool in any circles?

I've always been a huge fan of Jeff Lynne and Electric Light Orchestra. However, I don't mention it too often since most people just know them from songs like Don't Bring Me Down (Argh) and Telephone Line. Jeff, in my opinion, is one of the most talented musicians/producers around but for some reason, most people don't get it.

I don't think I'm embarrassed to like anything that I have...maybe Blink 182, but only because I don't like most of their stuff, but some is pretty good.

Oh, man, I felt I was going to feel relieved after some replies, but I don't. :(

Anyway, what the hell, I'll tell the truth. On my iTunes I have whole discographies of:

- Katy Perry
- Avril Lavigne
- Taylor Swift

OK I know!! I secretly enjoy pop music! I'm sorry, I guess I'll just take my stuff now and leave. :(

Haha.

Then I listen to Paramore, Blink 182, No Doubt and stuff like that, but I don't feel embarrased of them. I think their drummers are great and they're cool bands overall.

Well, after this I think I can't be beaten (unless someone likes Justin Bieber, which would be great), LOL.

Cheers.

I'm almost 50 and just suggested to our bandmates that we play Follow Me by Uncle Kracker. Should I be embarrassed? :)

Oh, man, I felt I was going to feel relieved after some replies, but I don't. :(

Anyway, what the hell, I'll tell the truth. On my iTunes I have whole discographies of:

- Katy Perry
- Avril Lavigne
- Taylor Swift

OK I know!! I secretly enjoy pop music! I'm sorry, I guess I'll just take my stuff now and leave. :(

Haha.

Then I listen to Paramore, Blink 182, No Doubt and stuff like that, but I don't feel embarrased of them. I think their drummers are great and they're cool bands overall.

Well, after this I think I can't be beaten (unless someone likes Justin Bieber, which would be great), LOL.

Cheers.

HAHA. I'm in your same boat.. Although, I do NOT have the entire discography of those artists, I definitely like them. I do feel alittle embarrested when I catch myself singing Katey Perry's Firework drunk at a party....

Its a strange feeling when you realize that some pop songs are actually good.. But then you have to wonder if the song is really that good, or if you've just heard it so many times it becomes good because you've been brainwashed by pop radio?.........

DUN
DUN
DAAAAAAAAH

Whitesnake. I hang my head in shame.

And you should, lol.

I guess the Marvin Gaye and Lady Gaga would embarass me a little...but on the other hand, I like it, so what's there to be ashamed about?

If I like a band I am not embarrassed to say it. Someone doesn't like it, they can kiss my (BLEEP).

And why would anyone be ashamed to say they like Whitesnake? David Coverdale is one of the best rock singers and they have had a lot of great musicians in that band.

I've always had a few bands that I think are awesome, but seem a little bit embarassing to share.

Here are 4 that come to mind for me.

Avenged Sevenfold. Now I'm normally not a metal head, but I think A7X is just awesome (with the exception of their first 2 albums). Probably get made fun of by all you jazz-heads :p (although i love jazz just as much!)

Simple Plan. They just seem kind of a wierd band for a drummer to like, most of there stuff is really simple, and i'd say they're not too far off from being a boy band. There stuff just relaxes me lol.

The Counting Crows. Cheesy I know. I think there stuff is really catchy and fun to sing along to though.

Linkin Park. I know rap is mainly frowned upon in the drumming community. I think linkin park does a good job of incorporating real sounds along with computetized stuff though. Once again, catchy stuff, and they have some cool guitar riffs.

What about you guys? What are the bands that you're just a little embarrased to admit you like???

Moby, but I feel really bad about it.

I'm embarrased to say that I like Miley Cyrus.

I can't think of any really good reason WHY, but a few of her songs off her breakout album can get in my head.

Like this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxYhhqNTwA

Having an 8 yo daughter, I get to spend a fair amount of time sampling the Disney catalog of teen pop artists, and I think Miley is probably the most talented of the bunch and will have a long career in music. As long as she doesn't go all Brittney Spears.

- Katy Perry
- Avril Lavigne
- Taylor Swift

Haha.

Cheers.

Well, I did once have a drum teacher tell me it's a good idea to listen to popular modern pop music so when you get hired for a session, you can reference the music that is selling. So you'll be familiar the drum beats, sounds and be able to keep up if the producer says "I want to make this sound like...."

Although I have to say, I've never been able to follow that advise very well. heh.

Back