Stick for small Jazz Combo

nsfalgout

I recently got asked if I wanted to join a jazz combo that some guys are putting together. There is going to be a trumpet, alto sax, trombone, piano, bass, guitar, and drums. So it is quite small. My regular 5a's that I use just overpower the band.

What are some of your guys favorite sticks for a light jazz? I've been looking at the Vater Manhattan 7a.

Thanks!

I like two... VF Erskine Ride Stick and VF SD4 Combos - both wood tip.

I play SD4's with loud music as well. For many they feel like pencils, for me they are comfortable.

That being said no matter what stick, it's all about control which translates to technique. Just saying it's possible to play too loud with a light stick within certain context.

I use Vic Firth AJ6. It is similar to the Peter Erskine ride stick but a bit lighter. I absolutly love the the way the the stick tapers dramatically from shaft to tip, giving you a beefy section of of stick for ride accents, while the tip is a very small acorn shape that provides excellent stick definition. the balance is also beautifully distributed to allow for light and quick playing. I used to switch between the AJ6 and a variety of heavier sticks for louder playing but I find myself using the AJ6 for everything now and have no complaints about ts durability...these sticks can take some punishment as well.

Any 7A should work. I also have some Peter Erskin sticks, however mine are real small round tip with nylon and are no longer made. I will treat them ver nicely. Regal tip also make somes nice 7A's

I like two... VF Erskine Ride Stick and VF SD4 Combos - both wood tip.

I play SD4's with loud music as well. For many they feel like pencils, for me they are comfortable.

That being said no matter what stick, it's all about control which translates to technique. Just saying it's possible to play too loud with a light stick within certain context.
dmacc! My motherf****r. Welcome back. We missed you.

I use Vic Firth 5As (wood tips) for everything, from heavily-amplified outdoor rock music to intimate, indoor acoustic jazz.

Vic Virth American Classic 7A wood tip. American Classics are very sturdy and pretty inexpensive too.

Play more softly with the sticks you like.

Peace and goodwill.

Play more softly with the sticks you like.

Peace and goodwill.

Yeah, I've gotta agree with this. I spent a long time (too long, in the end) so wrapped up in the idea that smaller = quieter and I ended up playing with sticks that were just too small to feel comfortable in my hand. Which had a negative effect on my playing and comfort.

What I've found is if you can dial in the size and feel of stick that really fits your hand and playing style it opens up what you're capable of doing technically.

I've gravitated to playing maple sticks, which allow for a much bigger stick (that fits in my hand well) but isn't too heavy so I get the weight of a smaller stick. For Jazz (and most everything else, really) I play an SD9, but even an SD1 works for me on a lot more than just playing concert snare drum.

For a while I thought it was just the difference in weight that maple afforded, but after recently trying some hickory sticks again I've found that just having the right size for my hands allowed me so much more control that playing dynamically isn't a problem no matter what the stick is made out of.

Thanks guys for all the replies. I have heard a lot about Regal Tip 7a for a jazz setting. What do you guys like more about the Regal Tips than say a Vic Firth 7a? Just asking because Regal Tip isn't considered one of the 'Big Three' I guess you could say.

Also, I will work on my stick control, but I actually don't mind playing thinner and lighter sticks.

Reactions: Jml
Thanks guys for all the replies. I have heard a lot about Regal Tip 7a for a jazz setting. What do you guys like more about the Regal Tips than say a Vic Firth 7a? Just asking because Regal Tip isn't considered one of the 'Big Three' I guess you could say.

Also, I will work on my stick control, but I actually don't mind playing thinner and lighter sticks.

You'll just have to go try them out. If you like lighter sticks they may be for you.

I primarily use VF 7A sticks which, at 15.5", are slightly longer (and I think bigger) than the Regal Tip 7As which are 15".

I also use the VF AJ6 quite a bit. I have found that I prefer a shorter stick. If they were available at all around me I would probably give the Regal Tips a try. If you have the means, go give them a shot.

You'll just have to go try them out. If you like lighter sticks they may be for you.

I primarily use VF 7A sticks which, at 15.5", are slightly longer (and I think bigger) than the Regal Tip 7As which are 15".

I also use the VF AJ6 quite a bit. I have found that I prefer a shorter stick. If they were available at all around me I would probably give the Regal Tips a try. If you have the means, go give them a shot.

I might head down to Guitar Center today and check some out. They have a small selection of Regal. I also heard that the Regal finish is really good for fools like me that fumble there sticks. Haha.

I have been using Regal Tip's Jeff Hamilton signature stick for about a year now for my small group Jazz gigs. They have a unique pointed tip that allows you to get a lot of cool sounds from your cymbals.

I also use Regal Tip's 8a but in maple. Great feeling stick. I love maple sticks for their feel and reduced stick shock.

As you probably know, the tip shape affects the sound of the cymbal the most. I like the Peter Erskine stick with a tear drop shape. Perfect if you have great cymbals.

http://www.vicfirth.com/product/how-to-pick-your-sticks.html

GJS

Yeah, I like the sound of teardrop tips on my cymbals. Nice dark sound on the ride. Tomorrow I am going to GC to check out some sticks. Looking to try the Regal Tip 7a and a Vater Manhattan 7a and maybe the VF AJ6.

I went to GC today and tried out a BUNCH of sticks. I ended up getting Vater Super Jazz in Sugar Maple. They are light, thin, and a long stick. They keep my volume quiet, but still allow me to hammer on the ride and they are quick. I am very happy with the stick. Vater makes good products, might have to try out some more.

dmacc! My motherf****r. Welcome back. We missed you.

I use Vic Firth 5As (wood tips) for everything, from heavily-amplified outdoor rock music to intimate, indoor acoustic jazz.

Thanks 8Mile!..............

If you like the feel of a thicker/heavier stick, there are options out there. I don't particularly like the feel of thinner/lighter sticks, myself, but I'll use them on occasion. The important thing to consider is how much you want to "open up" a cymbal while you play it. Smaller-tipped sticks provide more articulation, regardless of the length/diameter/density of the stick. However, I AM of the opinion that you should have the facility to play at whatever dynamic level you choose with whatever stick you like. Different sticks just cater more towards specific sounds.

I subbed for yet another drummer at another church yesterday, and the music director gasped when I pulled out my sticks. "Those will be too loud! Don't you have some rods? Our regular drummer uses rods to keep the volume down." I just smiled and told her that I can play quiet enough. After the worship set, I was complimented on my ability to play dynamically, and was also told that the drums themselves sounded better than they ever have ("Did you retune them?"). That's what they sound like when played with sticks. Of course I didn't play with marching sticks, but I didn't have my AJ1s with me, either--just some 5A "10 pairs of sticks for $20" bargain bin specials.

Except for rare instances, it's more about HOW you play than WHAT you play.

I went to GC today and tried out a BUNCH of sticks. I ended up getting Vater Super Jazz in Sugar Maple. They are light, thin, and a long stick. They keep my volume quiet, but still allow me to hammer on the ride and they are quick. I am very happy with the stick. Vater makes good products, might have to try out some more.

Congrats on finding something you like! The Steve Jordan sig sticks may work well for you too. Love the tone from them when im pretending to be a jazz guy at home. :)

Back