Endorsements?

paradiseburned

Hey guys!

Ok, So I really am in love with Gretsch drums. And I was just wondering if a company like Gretsch would even think about signing a drummer like me. I'm 14, I have 47 subscribers on YouTube, about 8,700 video views on YouTube, have about 140 likes on my Facebook Like Page, and play in a local band.

So if I send them the whole endorsement package, do you think it's even fathomable that they would consider me?

Thanks for your help!

my Youtube page for you guys to check out! http://www.youtube.com/user/paradiseburned?feature=mhee

I do not think so. What can you do to promote Gretsch drums. What large venues do you play t o be seen? Who knows who you are. If you are looking for free drums I don't think it's going to happen

They wouldn't.

But here is the FAQ on endorsements:
http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/endorsement/

And another really good article on endorsements:
http://www.drummagazine.com/features/post/inside-the-world-of-drum-endorsements/

With two key points from the article:

We’re looking for professional packages, which normally include a band photo, band bio, and a personal bio and personal photo so we know what the drummer looks like and a bit about his history. We look for the latest recorded material, too. There are some great drummers that are not with a band, but they are exceptions to the rule. Usually we look for the drummers in bands, and for the organizations behind the band: the record company, management company — professional backing that indicates the band is ready to take off.”

Sucherman, who landed his first paying gig at age six, went a long time without worrying much about endorsements. “I was always concerned with working, and being a good musician, playing good music with good musicians,” he says. “Endorsements were kind of secondary to me. I think some young players get it turned around, and they want endorsements as a sort of validation of their playing. But what good is a free drum set when you’re home watching TV?”

Hey guys!

Ok, So I really am in love with Gretsch drums. And I was just wondering if a company like Gretsch would even think about signing a drummer like me. I'm 14, I have 47 subscribers on YouTube, about 8,700 video views on YouTube, have about 140 likes on my Facebook Like Page, and play in a local band.

So if I send them the whole endorsement package, do you think it's even fathomable that they would consider me?

Thanks for your help!

my Youtube page for you guys to check out! http://www.youtube.com/user/paradiseburned?feature=mhee

Having 45 subscribers on youtube is like getting 7 family members to go to your gig at the local pizza place. I have over 300,000 total views and that's added up to about 100 CD sales. lol. Instrument companies want big names.

Don't worry about that stuff. Just do what you like. Your set is fine.

Unless youre making millions, selling out arenas in a huge way and are a constantly sought after drummer theres 0 chance of free stuff.

These companies with the small endorsement deals are just giving you the stuff at retail, calling it a 70% discount and telling you to pimp their product lol

Also, your first and main video on your youtube page involves you playing a set of Pearl drums. Might want to get a new head if you're aiming for Gretsch

Na dude probibly not. I was in the same boat as you are a few years ago. I was thinking i could get an endorsement from my youtube page but then i saw how long it took great drummers on youtube like Cobus to get endorsements and I quickly changed my thinking. However check out a youtube drummer named scheyjosh. He's much less known than cobus but still plays really well and put out alot of covers. He got endorsed by Pork Pie drums and Stagg Cymbals.

Also, my youtube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/jwildman95bamf?feature=mhee

First let me state that all the bands I've worked with have had professionally recorded media, and done small tours.

I've been an endorser of a few cymbal companies, but every drum company I've applied for has only offered me a discount. The cheapest offer I've gotten to endorse a drum company has been a 45% discount, and even with that I would have been over 3,000 dollars to have my kit built. Not worth it just to have my name on the artist page. The cymbal companies I've endorsed were another story. The same discounts but 50% and 70% are a big deal when it comes to buying cymbals 200 dollar cymbals.

When you're looking at Grestch, Sonor, Pearl, DW / PDP, Tama, or even Yamaha, if you don't have a chart topper and a few music videos, they won't even talk to you. The same goes for cymbal companies like Sabian, Zildjian, Paiste, and Meinl. No hits, no endorsement.

They won't do it. My Youtube channel has 250+ subscribers, a few of my videos have up to 30,000 views and my FB band page has about 400 likes. and that's nowhere near whet is needed

At this stage of the game, concentrate on playing well and having fun. The statistics are not in your favor: out of the millions of drummers in the world, only several thousand have endorsement deals. Only several hundred have endorsement deals that leverage equipment for free. The majority of "pro" drummers end up doing sessions in their local community, like I do, and never break bigger than that.

You do have one thing correct in your post: An endorsement should be a drummer saying "I love this gear, so I am willing to put my name behind it". The issue here is that your name is unknown, your worth as a selling point is unknown. And I'm sorry, YouTube has created a false impression that anyone can be a megastar - just like American idol.

Study your instrument, get your chops down, and do your best. I don't wish you ill, but take it from a former 14-year-old... not everyone ends up in the arenas and on MTV.

First let me state that all the bands I've worked with have had professionally recorded media, and done small tours.

I've been an endorser of a few cymbal companies, but every drum company I've applied for has only offered me a discount. The cheapest offer I've gotten to endorse a drum company has been a 45% discount, and even with that I would have been over 3,000 dollars to have my kit built. Not worth it just to have my name on the artist page. The cymbal companies I've endorsed were another story. The same discounts but 50% and 70% are a big deal when it comes to buying cymbals 200 dollar cymbals.

When you're looking at Grestch, Sonor, Pearl, DW / PDP, Tama, or even Yamaha, if you don't have a chart topper and a few music videos, they won't even talk to you. The same goes for cymbal companies like Sabian, Zildjian, Paiste, and Meinl. No hits, no endorsement.

you are actually incorrect about Meinl.....but most of what you say here is true

...and you definitely don't need a "chart topper" for the other companies.

there are tons of bands who have barely even charted but who tour constantly and move consistent units whos drummers have full on deals

Hey guys!

Thanks for your help!

I've got a question for ya: why do you want the endorsement?

Hey guys!

Ok, So I really am in love with Gretsch drums.... do you think it's even fathomable that they would consider me?

Realistically speaking, it's a long shot, but then it's a long shot for many of us on this board. Sponsorships, while out there and possible to get, are usually given to the people that are active, touring, playing and recording. And even then, not everybody gets an endorsement.

Put yourself in Gretsch's shoes:
What is it about YOU that would make them want to sign you over all of the other drummers out there?
How large of an audience can you reach? And I'm not talking Youtube. I'm talking IRL.
How musically active are you?
Lots of touring?
Recording?
Do people at Gretsch know about you, whether through press, word-of-mouth, or otherwise?
What do you bring to the world of drumming that makes you stand out from the rest?
Have other drummers made purchasing decisions based on your influence?

....there are other questions that could be asked, some more important or pertinent than others, but those are some general ones that I believe would need to be covered to be considered by most companies.

When your Youtube videos will pay off....MAYBE....if you're relentless, have had success in playing for a number of years, pack houses, tour a lot, etc etc....then, when you assemble your endorsement package to send to Gretsch, you'd include near the bottom "...and here's some video of me at a talent show when I was 14". If anything, it'll add to your musical character and show you were serious from the early stages.
I hope this helps answer your question. Please don't let anything that I said scare you off, since that wasn't my intention.

They may have some early development program for young artists, that may be a more sensible and respectful way to approach them. Isn't there a young lady who posts on here who just got a nice package of some sort from Pearl?

My friend. You are a young talented guy, keep doing what you are doing .... because, well, you're really good at it. Play Gretsch ... because, well, they're really good at making drums and you believe in their product.

If you truly love playing their drums that much .... it .... (drumming) .... will take you places beyond comprehension .... and you won't need free stuff.

Last edited:
Don't let all these people telling you "No" bring you're hopes down. All you really need is something to offer the company.

Either get in a band that a majority of people know, win a big drum competition that everybody knows, or keep doing drum videos on YouTube so everybody sees. Or heck, do all three of those! Just get exposure, all you really need is fame or exposure.

You're 14 years old, you've got several years before you have to start worrying about bills and all that good stuff. Just practice, and practice hard, play what you love, and love what you play. I mean Luke Holland got endorsed around 17 or 18 years old!

That's 4 years for you to practice til you start getting compared to him, the sky is the limit, and you've got tons of potential. Show this world what makes you different from everyone else!

I would just say a couple of things,firstly,read Bermudas post about endorsments.Secondly....people keep posting about "getting endorsed".Thats NOT how it works.You,the artist ,endorse the product,NOT the other way around.The Company dosen't endorse you.

Steve B

Back