DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-09-2018, 08:43 PM

Default From 3 up two down to 1 up 1 down

Just set up my classic Pearls in 1 up 1 down configuration. I haven't practiced that way in a while although every jam I go to has this setup. I was amazed at how it changes your thinking and creativity. Just enjoying the heck out of it right now and not missing those extra drums. The fill patterns just change...not sure how but they do instinctively, and in some cases for the better. Not tempted to overplay as much I think. Just having so much fun with it right now.
Supraphonic
Acrolite
Mapex Meridian
Pearl Sessions
Old 08-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: From 3 up two down to 1 up 1 down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennytoons View Post
Just set up my classic Pearls in 1 up 1 down configuration. I haven't practiced that way in a while although every jam I go to has this setup. I was amazed at how it changes your thinking and creativity. Just enjoying the heck out of it right now and not missing those extra drums. The fill patterns just change...not sure how but they do instinctively, and in some cases for the better. Not tempted to overplay as much I think. Just having so much fun with it right now.
I know what you mean. I went from a 3/2 to a 1/1 myself (not counting a timbale to my left) and I have been amused to find that there's been no impact on the musicality of my drumming in any of my bands. If anything, it's improved the feel and impact of my drumming because everything is so much simpler and cleaner... no clutter of tom notes every eight bars. Plus, less to move around!
Old 08-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Since you have 4 toms, have you considered (assuming you play a right-handed kit) playing 1 up and 3 down, but putting one of the down toms to the left of your snare?

That to me is an ideal setup for 4 toms, which allows you to keep the tonal varieties of 4 toms while, at the same time, changing "your thinking and creativity" as you say.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:07 PM
Pioneer Member

I've played 6. 4. 3. 2, 1 up, and 3. 2, 1 down and every combination of that. It will change the way you do fills for sure, but becoming more creative I'm not so sure about. Maybe over time, but playing differently isn't really being more creative. It's probably just being adaptive.

You're still the same drummer you were yesterday. but with a different amount of drums and voices. Going to a larger kit seems to have more impact on my playing than going to a smaller kit but I think it's fun to switch it up every so often.

You can apply small kit chops to a larger kit. but I'm not so sure it works as well going the other way, but it will sound different. Adding a side snare or tom on you left will give you another voice but you're usually playing the same patterns between two drums as you would on one.

Whatever works......................
Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Agree, going to a thumper set (1 up 1 down) you lose more sound capability.

No big deal IMO to schlep a 10" tom (10-12-16 etc), and it doesn't affect the kits footprint, and the voicing, intervals, tuning is a bigger, more musically usable bloom.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

And I'm considering going from a 1-up,1-down to a 4-up, 2-down and two bass drums! Live large I say ;)
Old 08-10-2018, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

I've always enjoyed five or more drums. For a long time I played two up and two down 10 12 14 and 16. I no longer have the 16. I'm using 10 12 14 two up one down. If I go one up and one down 10 and 14 I really miss the 12. Going from a 10 inch rack Tom to a 14 inch floor tom is too much of a change with nothing in between. On the other side if I go from a 12 to 14 it sounds much better but then I'm missing the 10 and I really like the 10. I just can't settle in on a four piece I've used it at rehearsals a few times just so I didn't have to drag so much gear but I really don't care for it. As for creativity I feel more creative on a larger kit
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:58 AM

I currently have a 1 up 1 down as well as a 6 up 2 down. I would agree Lenny I am loving my 4 piece setup 12” sits on a snare basket leaving the bass open (although I do have a 10” that is parked right now) maybe because the birch sounds so nice. Right now I am having a hard time sticking to one kit though between home practice. Maybe because I always wanted an octa plus. When I’m using the 4 piece I am thinking CCR, Green Day etc...when I am on the 10 piece, I am thinking Kiss and Rush. You do have to think differently between configurations, in regards - I say gig lightly and practice heavy.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
And I'm considering going from a 1-up,1-down to a 4-up, 2-down and two bass drums! Live large I say ;)
Troll...

Can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

Still jealous of the 2up-two down thing, still can't pull off the two up. They do not work ! I swear, it is all a very small and impertinent conspiracy.

1 up 2 down for me, always has, always will be.

Maybe.

I mean come on.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yesssssss! I am considering something similar, at least on a more consistent basis.

98.75% of the time, I play 1 up, 1 down - but about 1-2 times a year, I get really bored with that and go to town. As many up and down and bass drums as I can muster. Always good to have help setting it all up.
Truth is, I don't think I really play any differently with the large setup, but it sure is a boatload of fun. When I think back of all the gigs over the years, the ones that I played a monster kit or something exceptionally different are the ones that really stand out.

Like this setup- I don't have this kit anymore (sob), and it was a rented gong. But it will forever be that gig that I had a gong!
This pic looks like it's staged but it's at the gig, just prior to mic'ing up the kit.
Attached Images

[14 CREW]
Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Troll...

Can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

Still jealous of the 2up-two down thing, still can't pull off the two up. They do not work ! I swear, it is all a very small and impertinent conspiracy.

1 up 2 down for me, always has, always will be.

Maybe.

I mean come on.
Well, not to derail this thread, but 99% of the time I'm playing a basic 4-piece, and I love that I can do that without any issues. Most of the time the stage space dictates what I can bring along, but with the next two projects I'm involved in, I want to take a Simon Phillips approach and just create a kit I like, and just use it for everything regardless if I need it all or not.

When I got the Pearl birch kit (bronze glitter), I literally fell in love with that set. when I figured out how to set it up for me, it got even better. And then the first thing I wanted to do was maybe add a 10" tom, and set-up like Jeff Porcaro.
As I searched for add-on drums, I knew this would be impossible since Pearl just discontinued the entire line. But I managed to find a matching snare, and the easiest thing to do to add that 10" tom would be to just get a whole 'nother BCX from Pearl. So I just ordered another shell pack consisting of 10x8, 12x9, 16x16 toms and another 22x18 bass drum.

I can do two things: add the 10" tom to my existing kit and have the Jeff Porcaro set-up, and the remaining 12x9, 16x16, and 22x18 become my traveling 4-piece, staying cased up and ready to go in the garage. OR, combine both - which means just adding the bass drum and floor tom into the mix. The only drum that's left out is the extra 12x9. Both floor toms will be 16", but I can always tune one higher than the other. So I'd have five toms, two bass drums, and three snares. I'd keep to my simple cymbal set-up of two crashes and a ride with hats, but it would give me a lot of tonal variety and look really cool too.

Of course, this set could also be stripped down, but it gives me a lot of options instead of just living with my usual 4-pieces and doing everything with that. I think that would be cool.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I'm not noticing any inconsistency issues here whatsoever ;) ;) ;)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennytoons View Post
It's a slippery slope from here on in!

I've been 1 up 1 or 2 down for a long time now. All about the ride position, it's perfect.

I'd love a three up set up as a nod to Jeff but it's just not practical.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

I went from a 3-up, 1-down to a 1-up, 1-down. I also when from hats, ride, 2 crashes, two Chinas, and three splashs to simply hats, ride, and crash. And sometimes, I leave the crash at home and just have hats and crash/ride.

I found that the more I played out and traveled, I needed fewer and fewer drums and cymbals. Here's my personal philosophy: If I can't get it done with a 4-piece, I don't need to be doing it.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:46 PM

The longer I have played the less drums I have used.
I definitely prefer just the one high tom and floor tom, such fun getting around the kit and I think it improves your general movement.
Having too many toms makes it easy to over complicate everything and play stupidly elaborate fills. Having a second high tom is hardly ever necessary imo.

Starting out I just wanted the biggest kit possible! At least one of every cymbal, as many toms as I could fit, a second snare, 2 cowbells... The only time any of that gear was useful was when I was at a gig and my 14" snare broke, moved my 10" over (it was only a house party so didn't matter about the sound). The rest of the gear I used to buy was mostly a complete waste of space and money.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post

Interesting you mention this, I've recently moved from an old Pearl Export 10,12,14 which I used 1-up, 2-down to a (beautiful) Mapex Saturn V, 10,12,14,16 and I can't for the life of me decide where to put the 12".

Above the kick works, but i miss my ride being there, then off-setting the 2-up out left pushes things too far over.
Might just go 10,14,16 and only use the 12 when bored...
Old 08-10-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Yesssssss! I am considering something similar, at least on a more consistent basis.

98.75% of the time, I play 1 up, 1 down - but about 1-2 times a year, I get really bored with that and go to town. As many up and down and bass drums as I can muster. Always good to have help setting it all up.
Truth is, I don't think I really play any differently with the large setup, but it sure is a boatload of fun. When I think back of all the gigs over the years, the ones that I played a monster kit or something exceptionally different are the ones that really stand out.

Like this setup- I don't have this kit anymore (sob), and it was a rented gong. But it will forever be that gig that I had a gong!
This pic looks like it's staged but it's at the gig, just prior to mic'ing up the kit.
I've always thought this was the ultimate set up. I played this set up for years and currently mostly use a 1 up 1 down. I special ordered an 18 floor and 13 tom so I'll be doing the 2 up 2 down thing for a while offsetting the toms so to have the ride over the Kick.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Great pic dude! Gongs rule
Old 08-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
What's attached to the small horizontal bar that's mounted to your center vertical bar?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Having more drums means more stuff to move and longer setup times, but you also have more heads resonating, so your drums should sound a lot more awesome as a result. Even just playing time, your set will sound better.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebonn View Post
I've always thought this was the ultimate set up. I played this set up for years and currently mostly use a 1 up 1 down. I special ordered an 18 floor and 13 tom so I'll be doing the 2 up 2 down thing for a while offsetting the toms so to have the ride over the Kick.
Yeah it's a fun setup but I literally had to hire a drum tech to help me with this setup. I actually had more drums that aren't pictured - it was a three up, four down (8' 10" 12" rack toms with 13",14",16" and 18" floor toms). The only thing I struggle with when I use these type of setups is ride placement - so used to the 4 piece setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
Great pic dude! Gongs rule
Thanks J-Boogie dude! Gongs do rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
What's attached to the small horizontal bar that's mounted to your center vertical bar?
Completely unnecessary , I use it to clamp my bass drum mics - 22" main and 18" alt. Leftover piece and thought it looked cool. I tried to mount my Subkick to it too but it was too heavy.

[14 CREW]

Last edited by evilg99; 08-11-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbs View Post
Interesting you mention this, I've recently moved from an old Pearl Export 10,12,14 which I used 1-up, 2-down to a (beautiful) Mapex Saturn V, 10,12,14,16 and I can't for the life of me decide where to put the 12".

Above the kick works, but i miss my ride being there, then off-setting the 2-up out left pushes things too far over.
Might just go 10,14,16 and only use the 12 when bored...
I'm telling you, there is no room up there for another tom !

Every freakin' time I add a tom everything feels off.

I almost took the 10" out of its case yesterday just to make sure, but then I thought to myself "why even bother". I am completely disillusioned. Dam, talk about a guy with real problems.

I feel like my son being content at breakfast with frosted flakes, corn pops and fruit loops, and then being thrown a curve ball with the addition of cocoa puffs and him feeling so overwhelmed he feels the need to throw in the towel.

1 up 1 down is the muslix of cereals, and for some reason the muslix picked me.

It was not meant to be.

Last edited by Groov-E; 08-12-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:38 PM

I hear ya.

One thing I haven't yet tried is 12-10-14-16... The smaller tom might make enough space for the ride to sneak back into a more normal place.

Or... 14D (left of snare), 10 up, 12 & 14 down...

So many options :D
Old 08-14-2018, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

I was a 3 up 2 down player pretty much since I picked up sticks. Removing a Tom would make me feel like the parakeet retuning to its cage when removed. It felt totally unnatural and foreign. It took several attempts and a final realization tha that configuration was going to cost a fortune in anything higher than a mid level kit. Also had to move my ride more forward due to a shoulder injury.

Today I play 1 up 2 down. For me it wasn’t a big revaluation and new found creativity. It was more frustrating than anything. I finally settled in and realized just how much more comfortable I was and creativity or an adaptation to my new setup finally took place and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ve also shed a couple of cymbals to bring things in more and that has been a plus too. Far less crowded this way. Set up and tear downs are way faster too.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

What a dream kit, Evil! Wicked nice.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

I have been a one up, one down drummer for over twenty years. I now have two Saturn 12/16/22/snare kits. I usually play with hats and three other cymbals, most recently a crash-ride and two other crashes. Peace and goodwill.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 PM
"Uncle Larry"

A lot of guys must have their ride where the 2nd rack goes. To me it's no real difference if it's there or over the first floor tom. I like the high medium low approach with my toms and crash cymbals. I like a high tom, medium and low tom. So my ride goes over the floor tom. I use the same approach with my crash cymbals, fast decay, medium decay, long decay. At the most, I can only hit 2 toms at a time, so 3 toms can sound big. Heck so can 2 toms. I can use a 2 up/2 down set, I have the drums, but I find it unnecessary for gigs. 3 toms with ride over the floor tom is the Goldilocks amount for me. A 1 up 1 down...I'm always going for the 2nd rack tom where the ride is, whoops!

I also love my fast crash on a dogbone cymbal arm mounted to my tom tree. Doesn't increase the footprint, and it's not as heavy as a cymbal stand.