Stand Tilters?

musicianpractition

Stand Tilters???

Does someone have a clear and precise explanation of the different types of stand tilters for cymbal/drum stands?

Whilst browsing the different drum websites, there are so many names and variations and I am a little confused. In general, are there not just a few main types that all these other names fall under? I am familiar with the geared type tilter, a universal type tilter and a ball mounted tilter. Are these basically the main types? If so, can someone clearly define what makes a tilter one of these three? The ball mounted tilter is pretty straight forward, but the difference between a universal and a geared tilter is still unclear to me.

The below list contains various brands and various tilters described. Would appreciate it if someone could clarify and explain exactly what kind of tilters these actually are.

Tama Snare Stand

Tama HS70LOW has a "Quick-Set Tilter"

Tama Cymbal Stand

Tama HC74BWN has a "Boom/Straight convertible tilter" and a "Quick-set tilter"

Pearl Cymbal Stand:

Pearl BC-2030 has a "Gyro-Lock Wing Loc Reversible Cup Washer w/ O-Ring"

Pearl C-830 "Cymbal Tilter •Uni-Lock •Steel Washer •Wing Nut / Vinyl Tube Felt" (Assuming this means it's a universal tilter?)

Pearl Snare Stand

Pearl S-1030 has a "Gyro-Lock"

Axis Cymbal Stand:

[VCS-S] STRIAGHT [VCS-B] BOOM has a " ball bearing “PRECISION TILTER”"

Mapex Cymbal Stands

Falcon Boom Stand (BF1000) has "memory markings on the boom tilter and a Super-Glide stepless cymbal tilter with 360 degree rotation ability"

Triple Boom Cymbal Stand B995A has "•Universal ball-in-socket cymbal and tom arm tilters make positioning easy." (Both ball and universal tilters?)

330 Double Braced Boom Stand (B330) has "multi-step boom and cymbal tilters"

Mapex Snare Stand:

Mars Snare Stand Black Plated (S600EB) has "The Offset Multi-Step tilter "

DW Cymbal Stands

9700 Cymbal Stands has a " toothless tilter with Techlock"

DW Snare Stand:

DW 9330 just says "large basket tilter."

Yamaha Snare Stand

Yamaha SS850 has a "basket tilter" and the specs say "Tilter Normal".

Yamaha Cymbal Stands:

Yamaha CS-965 describes having a "Step Free Tilter" and a "Placing Type Boom Tlter Mechanism"

Yamaha CS755 says it has a "Center Tilter"

Yamaha CS650A has an "Offset Tilter"

Yamaha CS-BW describes having "infinite angle adjustable cymbal tilter"

Thank you.

Last edited:
Re: Stand Tilters???

Most of them have different mechanisms but they break down into those three categories pretty easily. Here's an explanation of the other two plus the two exceptions:

- A geared tilter is a typical low-end tilter which has lots of teeth on the two halves of the tilter that lock into each other. Because the teeth have to lock into each other (like a gear), there is a limit to how finely one can angle the tilter.

- An infinite tilter, like Tama or Yamaha's high-end ones (and Pearl's "uni-lock"), have no teeth and use a different method to lock their angle- as such, they have a much wider range of angles along the one axis of rotation.

The ball tilter is correct. Mapex's older stands, including that triple one, have a ball tilter for the cymbal arms and I guess something else for the tom arms (i'm not familiar with them). The two that don't fit in to the three categories are Mapex Falcon and Pearl Gyro-Lock, which both have a huge range of rotation on two axes.

Hopefully this helped. Feel free to ask for any clarification.

Most of them have different mechanisms but they break down into those three categories pretty easily. Here's an explanation of the other two plus the two exceptions:

- A geared tilter is a typical low-end tilter which has lots of teeth on the two halves of the tilter that lock into each other. Because the teeth have to lock into each other (like a gear), there is a limit to how finely one can angle the tilter.

- An infinite tilter, like Tama or Yamaha's high-end ones (and Pearl's "uni-lock"), have no teeth and use a different method to lock their angle- as such, they have a much wider range of angles along the one axis of rotation.

The ball tilter is correct. Mapex's older stands, including that triple one, have a ball tilter for the cymbal arms and I guess something else for the tom arms (i'm not familiar with them). The two that don't fit in to the three categories are Mapex Falcon and Pearl Gyro-Lock, which both have a huge range of rotation on two axes.

Hopefully this helped. Feel free to ask for any clarification.

Good explanation, but we could safely get it down to only two categories, so either geared, or non geared.

Geared= toothed, notched, step, any tilter that moves incrementally.

Non geared= Infinite, toothless, ball-socket etc. As explained above moves either 360 degrees un incrementally, or fwd and back without notching.

Snare or cymbal stand applications the non geared (tho usually more pricey) gets the nod IMO. Non geared not only offers unlimited positioning, they're easier and more fun to work with/operate.

Its not uncommon for geared tilters to catch on the edge of the gear/tooth, you have to positively feel the male gear/tooth going into the female gear to get a solid hold, tho sometimes you can get a false setting- male to male gear- and it'll hold, but that's usually not secure and can end with something falling over.

Attachments

• Picture 16.png
    Picture 16.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 568
  • Picture 15.png
    Picture 15.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

I have older Axis snare baskets my toms are mounted in. Though ball design they do not have an exhaustive range of movement.

Gibraltar has a uni gear that is pretty cool. I have a couple cymbal boom arms with two tilting mechanisms that combine ball and uni joints.

Back