Time keepers or creative drummers

... do you really want to hear 32nd note triplets flying all over the kit, again & again & again?

there you go... I may be one of the few who just made this a style! and got out of that steady 4/4 rut!

Please dont mis understand me, I dont want 10,000 tom toms either (Who tunes them, for gods sake!). All I want is one tom Tom and one floor tom and great cymbals(at least 6), again I dont want the spot light on me either. All I want is , when folks here the song, they should say, the drumming is different or the drumming stands out of all other regular 4/4 style.

I am kind of proud of the way Vinnie Appice did during the song Heaven and Hell Live, classic chops during the Iommi lead., however he had 100001 tom toms which was tuned by his drum technician)

Last edited:
honestly I find it very easy to play along the stones/AC/dc records and find it hard to copy Nicko McBrain or Keith Moon.

That's odd to me because I have often regarded Keith Moon and Nicko as motiff players. They have an arsenal of riffage in abundance. But they repeat alot of the same stuff over the years. Yes there are some exceptions which are obvious.

AC DC and Stones maybe easy to play along to. But that's not saying that your getting the feel correct. I'm not here to argue with anyone.
But if what I am saying is not striking a chord than there is some learning you need to do before you start expressing all over a piece of music.

I think the main thing is to play what YOU think the music needs. That's the great thing about drums, you can inject whatever you want into it. It will go probably one of 2 ways, either it will work or it won't. If you can make it work, as Keith most certainly did, then you will have a style that is uniquely you, which is a beautiful thing. I like that you have the conviction to do as you feel, confidence is essential, and don't let anyone squash your own personal style. I'd say follow your heart, but record yourself, and then decide if what you did works or not, as determined by you. Great thread.

I think the main thing is to play what YOU think the music needs. That's the great thing about drums, you can inject whatever you want into it. It will go probably one of 2 ways, either it will work or it won't. If you can make it work, as Keith most certainly did, then you will have a style that is uniquely you, which is a beautiful thing. I like that you have the conviction to do as you feel, confidence is essential, and don't let anyone squash your own personal style. I'd say follow your heart, but record yourself, and then decide if what you did works or not, as determined by you. Great thread.

thanks again, friend.

(I think most folks think I have a bad attitude which I dont think I have, I am just thinking differently because I am tired and bored of seeing and hearing the same stuff, again I do have my utmost respect to all drummers here who stick to their own heart)
again.. I know I opened a can of worms.

... listen to Deep Purple The Battle Rages on , Paice was just a Time Keeper, none of the songs stick in my head.
listen to "The Rain Fell Down" the stones-- is that a machine???

... Give me a triangle or a tamborine and i'll work that damn thing.

Love your attitude, brother. That's the spirit of a real drummer, imo. I've clapped my hands, played my beer glass with a key and even clicked billiard balls at jam sessions. And my contributions were appreciated.

I recall reading somewhere - probably right here at DW - that Stewart Copeland boasted at some clinic that he could do something that very few modern drummers seem to be able to do, then proceeded to play a straight rock beat for 2 minutes. (Someone correct me if I have it wrong.)

He's a perfect example of a creative time-keeper. One of my all time favorite drummers.

Yea man, we need different thinkers. Hey, look at it like this...if Keith had listened to anyone telling him to "reign it in", we'd all be the poorer for it. I can see that you're getting resistance to your way of thinking, I will admit that it is a little left of center, but that's the point isn't it? Everyone here isn't against you, they are just relaying universal truths that are generally accepted, and are trying to help. But that isn't saying that there cannot be any "new" truths. Have at it man, you've got my support. Hey, maybe do a You Tube video where you could take a strait backbeat song of your choice and do it with your interpretation. Ruffling feathers is at the very core of rock and roll, and if you're ruffling feathers, you're getting reactions, and that's usually a good sign. It's never easy to be controversial. Everyone tends to want you to color inside the lines. You sound like you want to move the lines a little. I think it's cool. Of course you'd better be able to pull it off.

some of the minor creative chops that I can think of is the following, especially from Charley Watts (Stones)
1. the begining of Start me UP, it is reverse!
2. She is so cold-- when Mick sings "Pekenise"
3. The whole song u cant always get-- (drums by Jimmy Miller though)
4. Get off my cloud

because of these, as a "drum nut" , these songs do stick to my mind.

Bell Bottom Blues-- Eric Clapton on vocal, the whole song is backward drumming!
One world-- Stewart copeland doesnt seem to sit still, playing the octobans in a wild steady style!

when Kenny Jones played with The who , he was playing steady beats for "My Generation" which surprises me cause he was a creative chopper during his time in Faces. I think Keith would have felt sorry while playing along Jimi in heavens above!!

Last edited:
So what you're saying is ,if i play simple then i have no real status as a musician. Hmmm? can you teach me some blast beats to play along with my Tom Petty records.

That's one way of interpreting what I said. Another way is: Among other musicians and the public, drummers are the least respected musicians in Western music genres. And most of them play to meet that expectation. In other words, your status in the band and playing styles are linked to some degree.

You should really develop an ear for melodies. Trust me, you'll start enjoying music a lot more.

I got over the melodies long time back, my friend. I am thinking the song may sound "less dead" if the drummer chops every now and then.
Listen to Stones "Rough Justice" and "Let me down real slow" the first two songs on Stones Bigger Bang album, the drummer Mr. Watts changed tempo, thats it... the same old style.... simple.

I am starting to think, the bands should release hard rock albums with two drum versions, just simple steady beats, and with Keith moon type drumming for nuts like me......just a wild thought.

Can you teach me some blast beats to play along with my Tom Petty records.

Stan Lynch is creative in "dont come around here anymore",thats it. ...but it sounds like electronic kit though.

We listeners have a right to listen to Tom Petty records with a different drum style....dont u think?

Always somewhere- Scorpions
They re mixed this track with new drums. At least Rudy Lenners did some chops in the original 70's version but the remixed version is so dead!, no chops at all and it sounds horrible.

the same problem with the remixed version of "Blind Man" by David Coverdale. and the remixed version of The Police- Dont Stnad so close to me!!!

That's one way of interpreting what I said. Another way is: Among other musicians and the public, drummers are the least respected musicians in Western music genres. And most of them play to meet that expectation. In other words, your status in the band and playing styles are linked to some degree.
With all due respect i can see somewhat where you're coming from. But wheather you're playing polyrythmic patterns or four on the floor without a single fill, i believe you will gain much respect from any true musician if you approach that song in the right manner. There's a time and a place for it all , and some of the best fills i ever heard were the ones that were'nt played at all. I have respect for all drummers as long as they play from the heart including you.

Even Keith Moon used programmable steady hi hats so that he could be creative on the drums. I like that ! I am not into playing steady hi hats either. They should all be programmed!!...again just a wild thought. ...

did i just open a can of worms?

So what you're saying is ,if i play simple then i have no real status as a musician. Hmmm? can you teach me some blast beats to play along with my Tom Petty records.

LOL, this is actually funny.

My most hated drummer is Charlie Watts...he is simply awful to listen to and to watch. The Stones knew what they were doing though...Mick and Keith were the show and they didn't need someone with the chops of a Ginger Baker showing them up. So they got Watts, they knew NO ONE would care about him.

LOL, this is actually funny.

My most hated drummer is Charlie Watts...he is simply awful to listen to and to watch. The Stones knew what they were doing though...Mick and Keith were the show and they didn't need someone with the chops of a Ginger Baker showing them up. So they got Watts, they knew NO ONE would care about him.

I agree 99%, (even though I dont hate anyone, ) just being in the stones made him famous. I do like his playing because it is damn easy to play along. Of Course he is a very respected guy. I dont think he can do chops like some of the folks in Drummerworld forum, and he does admit that. I dont see any special type of drumming in him, in fact watching him drum is not a good thing to watch, the way he strikes on the snare at the end of songs is like he is killing a snake with a stick! The stones became famous just because of the creative writing of Jagger and Richards and their bad boy image, (They were the first who did that, nowadays almost all the bands pose as bad boys, which is so boring... all second hand news news to me.).
Whenever Stones play "u cant always get live, charley plays simple beats, because the original was done by Jimmy Miller who is "up there" jamming with Brian Jones and John Lennon. Charley doesnt even play the way Sympathy for the devil, the way it was recorded.
After all, the stones themselves know whatever crap they do , there are millions of stones fanatics everywhere.

There is room for lot of chops in the song Wild Horses , memory Motel etc...... so it is damn easy to play along these songs and play some unpredictable rolls or chops.

I like the way Charley thinks of drum solos too.... boring.

If a non famous guy plays like Charley Watts, no one gives any credit.

Last edited:
Love your attitude, brother. That's the spirit of a real drummer, imo. I've clapped my hands, played my beer glass with a key and even clicked billiard balls at jam sessions. And my contributions were appreciated.

I recall reading somewhere - probably right here at DW - that Stewart Copeland boasted at some clinic that he could do something that very few modern drummers seem to be able to do, then proceeded to play a straight rock beat for 2 minutes. (Someone correct me if I have it wrong.)

He's a perfect example of a creative time-keeper. One of my all time favorite drummers.

Agreed. Copeland is one of the best.

Phill Rudd is extremely solid but his drumming is SO uncreative it makes me sad. He could be a much better drummer than he is if he TRIED SOMETHING NEW!

I read somewhere like AC/DC sound is all because of Phil Rud hitting the snare in the middle. I kind of disagree, cause watching AC/DC live at Donington.... Chris Slade on Drums, same solid sound.... its all beacuse of the tuning and miking....I think.

yes, all AC/.DC songs sound the same!

...very easy to play along.

Back