K for Kaos' Setup and "studio"...lol

k for kaos

Hey everyone, my name's K for Kaos(named after the CD K.A.O.S.radio), or Ryan. Here's my current setup and I've got some pictures to share. I'm not a very good photographer..
I play progressive metal, metalcore, deathcore, jazz/fusion, and a little drum and bass.
Now, let's go over the components...

Drums:
Sonor Force 2001 red finish
22in Bass Drum
10,12,14 Rack Toms
16,16 Floor Toms
14in Snare
14in Pacific snare w/o snares & heads VERY tight.
12in Pacific rack tom w/ bottom head removed, low tuning

Cymbals:
-17in K Custom Hybrid crash
-16in Zildjian pitch black crash(slightly dremeled, nice sound IMO)
-17in Z custom rock crash
-17in k custom dark crash
-6in Sabian B8 Splash
-11in K Custom Hybrid Splash
-12in wuhan splash
-14in Hi-hats Oldschool zildjian new beat on bot. zildjian crash on top)
-custom low stacker, 12in wuhan china on a 13in zildjian splash
-16in wuhan china
-12in wuhan china
-18in Pitch Black china
-22in K med dark ride
-6in zilbel

Percussion:
-Tambourine
-LP Cowbell
-LP Jam block low
-LP Jam block high
-LP little block things
-CP chimes

Hardware:
-Tama Power Tower Rack
-Mostly Tama hardware, some DW.
-DW7000 Double bass pedal

Heads:
Toms:evans G2 clear(two coated {and tuned} for different sound) and my last floor tom has a terry bozzio head.
Snares: Remo amb coat.
Bass: evans eq or something

To buy list:
-16in A custom fast crash
-15in K custom dark hats
-14in A Custom mastersound hi hats
-karma drum mics
-condensers

Now the pictures...sorry for the pic quality

3819265067_88f353f687.jpg

3820071060_e48ccbafd9.jpg

3801328799_f09eda9c2b.jpg

3820067328_4dc66bdd94.jpg

How do you like it?
Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:
hey man! sorry to hijack the thread... but i see you have an ikea ALLAK computer chair in pieces in the 1st pic... one of the arms broke off mine and ikea wont sell me a new part, any way i could buy just the arms off you?

Big kit, but I think you'll get a lot of comments about your tom angles ;-). Your drumroom isn't that tidy, and I don't think you should write on your heads, it makes the whole thing look even more messy.
I'm sure it's a blast to play, with so many options. My suggestion would be that you clean up a little, so that it will be even more fun :-D.

Ow, and @ Kloppee: I've spent at least 5 hours a day on my Allak for the last 6 years, and I can't understand how you could possibly break the arm.

Big kit, but I think you'll get a lot of comments about your tom angles ;-). Your drumroom isn't that tidy, and I don't think you should write on your heads, it makes the whole thing look even more messy.
I'm sure it's a blast to play, with so many options. My suggestion would be that you clean up a little, so that it will be even more fun :-D.

Ow, and @ Kloppee: I've spent at least 5 hours a day on my Allak for the last 6 years, and I can't understand how you could possibly break the arm.

i think his angles are fine, bit "power tom" ish maybe but they're alright methinks :) You say "studio" now i'm all for home studios (being the proud owner of a setup myself) but where is all the gear?

Also i'm using an ikea chair myself, i had to start using the one in my sister's room since the one i was using started to bend at the front. Ahh well, it was only £10!

Nothing wrong with the tom angles there man.

Your kit doesn't look comfortable to play at all, the first tom is almost angled away from you so it just don't look right to be honest. And also the way all of the rack toms are coming far to over for me, thats just what i think, because the toms, in my opinion should be almost alligned with the bass drum but your kit comes around too much.

Yeah i understand the tom angles, but if i dont have them at that angle, they hit the bass drum or are way too high for my low throne and playing style. the drum room is a MESS, that's been a project of mine for a long time but it's hard becuase i can't just go through there and throw everything out because my parents have a LOT of stuff in there. but thanks for the good comments :)

Oh, and as for studio stuff, my mics are coming soon, still deciding which ones to get and how many condensers i'll need(input would be great). My guitarist buddy has a mixing board at his house so we're just waiting on mics, i'll update this thread a lot. my first update is today i picked up a Zcustom rock crash to replace my zbt crash.

Your kit doesn't look comfortable to play at all, the first tom is almost angled away from you so it just don't look right to be honest. And also the way all of the rack toms are coming far to over for me, thats just what i think, because the toms, in my opinion should be almost alligned with the bass drum but your kit comes around too much.

To be honest, the kit is the most comfortable thing ever, all the toms are at the perfect angles for me to hit and the way the kit "comes around" me makes it very easy to hit everything without stretching because i just have to turn. all of the cymbals are within reach and the drums are at a nice level for my liking. but we all have our opinions. my kits influenced kinda by portnoy/peart kits. a little. in the 360 degree-like style.

hey man! sorry to hijack the thread... but i see you have an ikea ALLAK computer chair in pieces in the 1st pic... one of the arms broke off mine and ikea wont sell me a new part, any way i could buy just the arms off you?

Yea you could, i dont use the thing, the arms/backrest just sit on another chair to give it a padded back and armrests haha

Oh, and as for studio stuff, my mics are coming soon, still deciding which ones to get and how many condensers i'll need(input would be great). My guitarist buddy has a mixing board at his house so we're just waiting on mics, i'll update this thread a lot. my first update is today i picked up a Zcustom rock crash to replace my zbt crash.

Well generally you would have 2 condensers for the overheads, and possibly 1 for the hihats (another small pencil type) 1 or even 2 for the room (a large one, not much point if your room doesn't sound amazing though) and 1 for the front of the kick drum (again not nessicary, but it will give your kick a bit more of a "boom" sound)

http://karmaaudio.com/products.html

the k-micro drum mic pack would be great for you. They are cheap, more durable than most of the high end stuff I have seen, and really sound amazing.

I have them and use them for my drums, vocals, acoustic guitar, and random percussion in both my home studio and live. If you do decide to get them you will need mic cables.

www.rondomusic.com sells a pack of 5, 25 foot cables for $25 it is a hell of a deal.

Anywho I hope that helps you out some.

Dom

if you want to hear the k micros check out my myspace. We recorded some songs straight through with no effects or eq or anything so what you hear is the mic in as pure form as I can give you.

www.myspace.com/justwritesomethingks

Yea flatten your toms, magic eraser your heads, and clean up that mess this instant!

I'm kidding! Geez Frank let the guy be! What are you his mother?

looks pretty good, you've actually got some decent cymbals there. I thought it was fine b4 tbh it doesn't have to be perfect, it's YOUR drumkit! DWUFL

haha thanks man, i just moved it around to be more comfortable, some of the cymbals i liked using a lot in the former set-up were in inconvenient locations, so just did some moving :)

New pictures of my new hybrids and cymbal positions. only thing not pictured is the crash as a hihat top. what do you guys think?

Back