how many kits have you owned?

stickers

What is the number of kits you have owned and what were they?

I have had a whopping 1 kit so far. 4pc 67 ludwig. (Link below to that thread) But last week I ordered a custom 3pc Ludwig classic birch. When that kit comes in, ill be up to 2. I'll be giving my other kit to my older brother.

What is the number of kits you have owned and what were they?

Last edited:
Millions. Scattered in the homes of all the forum members on Drummerworld, epecially Joey Beats, xopethx, and Steamer. ( apologies to Steven Wright)

Ok seriously 2. A 7 piece Yamaha Absolute Maple Custom Nouveau, which lives at home and is pampered like a baby, and a 4 piece vintage Tama Imperial Star which gets bashed around in the rehearsal studio and on gigs

i have 3 and a 4th one on the way.

enforcer (first kit had been refinished and sits collecting dust
gretsch catalina maple (The first kit I bought with all my money used all the time)
Frankenstein kit (random drums from ebay I love this set almost more than my gretsch)
Small bop set (small and pink set i am building 12 16 18 will finish when i get the $$$$)

1) A Blue Pearl Export 5 piece
2) A White Pearl Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 4 piece

I have had a whopping 1 kit so far. 4pc 67 ludwig. (Link below to that thread) But last week I ordered a custom 3pc Ludwig classic birch. When that kit comes in, ill be up to 2. I'll be giving my other kit to my older brother.

How many kits have you owned through out your years?

Those were some nice drums. Is your brother worthy of a kit like that?

Ok kits....... If I count the one I sold, The two I gave away, and the crap one I practice with, I have had..... 10. Currently there are Seven. Five are vintage Rogers, One is Ayotte Custom. The last is the crap kit. Mid 60s Japanese Astro Firewood Special Select Stencil Kit,

Those were some nice drums. Is your brother worthy of a kit like that?

Ok kits....... I have had..... 10. Currently there are Seven.

Is that one for each day of the week? Which one do you play on Sunday?

Just kidding: ), I've seen your kits and they are beautiful. I love your vintage Rogers, which bring back memories of the kit I learned to play on. ( My rich friend had one. )

Four.
My first kit was a Thunder, don't remember any exact specs. I do remember it was awful.
Then came the Tama Swingstar. Nice kit, but not flawless.
The swingstar was joined by a Roland TD6 for some more silent practise (neighbours below were complaining still),
and I eventually ditched the swingstar (not to be negative about it, I loved that kit) and replaced it with a Tama Superstar custom, which I love quite a lot (as a lot of you probably already noticed).

1: Hammer 5 Piece. it was really bad. but it did have blue and black heads so it that kicked ass
2: Pacific LX Red Crimson 5 Piece, made it a four piece. had it for like 5 years, but it got to small. it was an old one too, like 2001! man i miss it.
3: Tama Superstar 5 piece Bronze Mis Metallic. Made a six piece but used as a 5 piece. That's wicked confusing, umm.. just check my new kit post and you'll see!
4: Soon to own SJC acrylic kit. My Atom Willard Set-Up. It's like $4,000 but i already have $1,200 saved!-alex

Tama Stagestar (Signature)(love it, people think they are no good because they're small, not the case. Killer drums.
Percussion Plus (Nobody knows about it, POS kit with no resos but I beat on it when I'm at my mom's)

Two -- I don't consider my e-kit to be a drum set.

My first one was a six-piece: 18" x 15" BD, 12" x 10", 10" x 9" and 8" x 8" tom-toms (Remo Quadura), a 15" x 14" floor tom (Pearl Export) and some cheap, brandless 14" x 5,5" steel snare. I've sold the floor tom and stripped the acrylic wrap off the 8" tom (one of those never-ending refurbishing projects...), but the rest of the kit remains stored at my parents' basement. I practiced with these for four years, and after I bought the Kumu snare I even took them (as a four piece with 12" and 10" toms) for a few gigs, so they have still retain some emotional value.

My present (and probably last) kit is a Kumu four-piece, which some of you have probably heard of -- if not, check out the link on my signature!

Lots:

Currently I have 3.
6 Piece ddrum in artic chill, with a 10" matching side snare
6 piece Gretsch catalina maple in red cherry finish with a 4X14 pearl copper snare
and a 3 piece Keller set with a 5x14 ludwig acrolite snare and a slingerland chrome snare.

Past sets from 1984 to 2005 Include.
5 piece "Emerald set" My first, with an additional bass drum and 18" floor tom
4 Piece 1957 Slingerland in white marine pearl
4 piece Can't remember make in a white satin flame
4 piece 1968 ludwig in champagne sparkle
7 piece (Double bass) pearl export
4 piece 1969 Tama in a blue swirl finish I found for $5 at a yard sale
14 piece monster set, consiting of Ludwig, leedy and pearl with a slingerland snare which morphed into the 8 piece Ludwig set with monster kick drums and a 10" side snare.
Lastly a 4 piece pdp birch set in tobacco fade that was stolen from me.

Most of the sets were traded because I apparently suffer from mental illness to part with the luds and slings, or sold to friends or students.

Over many years of playing, I've probably owned a total of 35-40 kits by Ludwig/WFL, Impact, Corder, Sonor, Yamaha, Gretsch, Staccato, North, Slingerland, Premier, Remo and Tama (can't recall any others...)

I currently have 14 acoustic kits - Ludwig, Impact & Premier - plus V-Drums & Simmons.

Bermuda

Total of 6..
1. 1976 Red CB 700
2. 1990 Black Tama Rock Star
3. 1996 British Racing Green Tama Starclassic Maple
4. 2002 British Racing Green Tama Starclassic Performer
5. 2006 Red Silk Onyx DW Collectors Kit
6. 2008 Orange Sparkle ddrum Maple dominon
Which by the way IS currently the best sounding kit I have owned...
I know, some DW owners are gonna shout blasphemy...
But the kick 20x22" is incredible.....it sounds BETTER than the DW's in MHO.
Appearance? My DW was finish ply...how does that compare to a non wrapped painted laquer custom high gloss finish?

Bar none....and the entire ddrum kit (shells only) SHIPPED to your door for UNDER a grand....

Now before Gruntersdad comes in and says "Do you mean EVER or within the last year?" with some reference to me, I'll just answer :)

I've owned 10:

1992 - 1994
Sunlite 5 Piece in Blue Wrap with various Sabian, Paiste, and No Name Cymbals throughout.

sunlite.jpg

1994 - 1998
Ludwig Rocker in Red Wrap with various Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals.

1998 - 2001
Tama Rockstar Custom 6 piece in Mahogany Stain with full Sabian AAX set-up. The first set I bought with money I earned myself. I sold it in 2001 and quit drumming completely until...

2002 - 2003
Yamaha Stage Custom 5-piece in Natural with Pearl Omar Hakim snare and various Zildjian cymbals.

drumsold.jpg

2003 - 2005
Yamaha Oak Custom 5-piece (mostly used as 4-piece) in Blue Ridge Blue Oak with Yamaha Musashi Snare and various Zildjian, and then Sabian cymbals.

2005 - 2006
Pacific CX in White Onyx with Yamaha Musashi Snare and various Sabian Cymbals.

2006 - 2007
Gretsch Catalina Club Birch 5-piece in Chestnut Fade with Yamaha Musashi Snare and various Sabian and Bosphorus cymbals.

February 2007 - July 2007
Gretsch Renown 6-piece (mostly used as a 4-piece) in CherryBurst with Saluda Birch Snare and various Bosphorus Cymbals.

July 2007 - August 2007
Gretsch Catalina Club 4-piece in White Marine Pearl with Ludwig Supraphonic and various Bosphorus Cymbals.

August 2007 - Present
Gretsch New Classic in Ivory Marine Pearl with Gretsch Hammered Black Chrome Steel, Ludwig Acrolite, and McKenzie Steambent Myrtle snares with various Bosphorus cymbals.

It's all fine till the Stage Custom, then things just start to pick up a little bit...
I like the set-up of the Stage Custom. As you pondering about right hand or left hand set-up not long ago Rob. I think the idea with the Stage Custom would be best. Didn't you say you liked a right handed kit with the feet switched? Plus having 2 hats, that would've been a really versatile kit. Maybe have the x-hat on a cable too, so you could have to pedal operated hats.

It's all fine till the Stage Custom, then things just start to pick up a little bit...
I like the set-up of the Stage Custom. As you pondering about right hand or left hand set-up not long ago Rob. I think the idea with the Stage Custom would be best. Didn't you say you liked a right handed kit with the feet switched? Plus having 2 hats, that would've been a really versatile kit. Maybe have the x-hat on a cable too, so you could have to pedal operated hats.

Well up until the Stage Custom I only bought one other set with my own money :)

Well this was a set up that I used for years, including with my Oak Customs for a while, but I grew tired of it because it makes it a lot harder to play on any other kit. It would either have to be setup left hand (which at that time I had never played left handed with my hands, so I'd be completely lost), or I'd have to have a remote hi-hat. I just prefer to not have a "specialized" setup. A remote hi-hat is nothing out of the ordinary, but having to have one in order to play a set of drums is. So I'd rather just have a set up, either left or right handed, that allows me to make do with whatever kit I have to play on.

Right now I'm just giving right another go.

Back