Picking up a new instrument?

SergiuM

I've been really itching to pick up and learn to play the mandolin.. But i feel guilty. I feel as if I would be cheating on my drums by picking up another instrument! Has anyone else ever felt this way?!?!

I taught myself how to play guitar, and I associate guitar with drums. It's pretty simple, and I basically worked out jazz chords by accident which is awesome and I make really obscure prog riffs that way.

Drums will always be my number one though! Get loads of rhythmic ideas on guitar from drums.

Playing a more rhythm based instrument will never hinder your drum playing!

..unless you never drummed again!

Most guitarist that I know who have playing some drums in the past are often better(I find) than those that don't..teaches them to move the percussive aspects while formulating a melody.

Anything to do with music, albeit mandolin, recorder, stomping your feet..its all your 'training' so to speak.

Cheat away, I say.

Feel guilty? I don't think Prince feels guilty.

...the drums are an inanimate object with no emotions, they won't mind if you play another instrument
i play vocals bass piano drums and am currently learning the cello and saxophone (badly)

Play guitar currently, will add a bass guitar sometime down the road.

I've been really itching to pick up and learn to play the mandolin.. But i feel guilty. I feel as if I would be cheating on my drums by picking up another instrument! Has anyone else ever felt this way?!?!

Loads of people. I personally think variety is the spice of life and that anyone who plays in a band should have at least a basic knowledge of another instrument apart from their main one. I say go for it, your drums will forgive you, I'm sure ;)

I personally play the bass, guitar, drums, vocals and a very small amount of keyboards (I can play the Donnie Darko version of MadWorld and Numb by Linkin Park and that's about it lol). I like to think I divide my time equally with all of them but I would say my best instrument is probably the bass (that doesn't mean I'm good though! :p )

I picked up alto and tenor saxophone after 20 years of playing.
It adds to your knowledge of music.

Drums are my first instrument.

I feel it helps me relate to the non skin bashers

I personally think variety is the spice of life and that anyone who plays in a band should have at least a basic knowledge of another instrument apart from their main one.

I totally agree with that. I'm gonna go for it, it will open my eyes to different aspects of music!

Back