A very cool thing happened last night

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
While we were setting up yesterday one of the regulars at the club came up to us and gave us a DVD. Unbeknown to us this guy had filmed a large chunk of our last gig at the club and transferred the film to DVD. He scanned our poster for the gig, which he used as the basis for the DVD cover - trimmed perfectly, a totally professional job.

Inside there was also a CD of the music. I can't believe it ... what an incredibly cool and nice thing to do!

After the gig our singer came back to my place and we watched the DVD. Weirdly, my snare sounded killer - about 10x better than any other recording of it, and way better than it's ever sounded to my ear while playing. Stoked. I also found that I still look like a mad woman when I play ... almost as loony as that Korean drummer on YouTube :)

Just thought I'd share because I'm a bit blown away.

Cool story Miss P!
Or should I say "Good Golly Miss Polly" LOL

That's so nice Pol. Perhaps you could post some on YouTube?
I'd love to see you in action. Nice to hear you're happy with the snare. I take it you're happy with what you heard?

You are right, that is indeed awesome.

My ex once got mailed a live dvd from a band I like, it was just something they filmed, never released, just sent it as a kind of thank you for her support.

That is cool. Unexpected human acts of kindness always are.

So put some of it up, Pol.

Cheers guys .... I was wearing horizontal stripes top and for some reason the camerea angle makes me look morbidly obese with size EEEEE cups :)

I also have to work out how to rip the vid into MPEG or whatever to upload to da Tube ...

Yeah, a random act of kindness is a good way of putting it. He went to heaps of trouble ... converting old style film (his daughter's vid camera) to digital - having to be done in real time for over an hour, editing, creating the sleeve etc etc.

I take it you're happy with what you heard?

Yeah, I guess, for what it is. We're not as tight as my old bands and my playing isn't as consistent as it should be these days, but I have a weird homespun style and have always been funny to watch :)

On a more sombre note, our guitarist had turned up late and wasn't in top form because his sister had died of cancer the night before and he'd up for much of the night comforting his mother. After going through all that, for him to front up and play without any visible sign was huge IMO. A real trooper.

That fuzzy feeling in the gut that rises to a rye smile. Very cool, rare, & precious. I'm joining the chorus of put it up demands, & no editing the good (read, potentially cringeworthy) bits!

I'm trying to find a decent freeware DVD ripper. Downloading AVS Video Converter now ... anyone tried it?

Really, it ain't anything to anticipate, other than for a laugh because our singer moves like a marionette and I move like the Joe Cocker of drums :)

And that's exactly why we want to see it!

haha - cheeky sod :)

It seems AVS Video Converter isn't freeware. So there's a watermark. Also I couldn't quote control the AVI Ripper so the start and stop are a bit random. Sorry.

Of the drummer faces on the clip I can see The Flycatcher, The Groper, Bitter Lemon, I Need to Fart and No! Not the Dentist!

I just wanted to share the cool little keepsake but, ok world, get ready for ... drumroll ... a really small-time local gig. Remarkably, a former drummer for ACDC was there and, just as remarkably, he liked us :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gjRKEnYfiY

Good Job Polly!
You're right, Your kit did sound real good.

I dug out my RT yesterday and I played it for a while.
I'm going to use it tomorrow at a recording jam with a full mic-up.
I am doing some music with some guys that are heavily into electronic sounding music.
We are going to run the RT through a synth.

Thanks Bob :) Yeah, the RT is great as long as you expect a more "bongo-y" sound than a normal tom. While the RT snare is okay I prefer the Drouyn.

So you're going to use the drums as triggers? The studio time should be awesome fun. Love good electro - all those cool sounds!

Thanks Bob :) Yeah, the RT is great as long as you expect a more "bongo-y" sound than a normal tom. While the RT snare is okay I prefer the Drouyn.

So you're going to use the drums as triggers? The studio time should be awesome fun. Love good electro - all those cool sounds!
I don't know exactly what these guys have planned!
Im not understanding on electronics.
I guess that they are going to modify the latin sound of the RT electronically.
They do this with every instrument that they play. Sax, Flute, Guitar, Wind Chimes, Hammer Vibes, etc.
This is my second time playing with them.
Last week I just played regular acoustic drums with them while they made all of their crazy sounds.

They wanted me to play an e-kit but when I told them that I like to play acoustic drums and cymbals this is the idea that they came up with.
Change the sound of the acoustic drums.

It will be an adventure.

Very cool Pol!

No collared white shirts in your closet or just some teenage rebellion?

Band sounds great! Singer has got some pipes! You were great!

Back