Guilty of TV practice?

I hate to say it but a good 75% of my "practice" these days consists of me watching tv and tapping on my legs with sticks.

I had the same problem with my wife but started using Hot Rods and then brushes for leg tapping. Much quieter. Not the best kind of practice, but it's still something.

http://youtu.be/J5VUsh6HooE

Actually, I have a pad just to the left of my computer and practice finger control on it with my weak hand while reading the forum and FB.

I just use an extra mouse pad next to the computer. They are surprisingly good as practice pads. The amount of bounce and noise you get is influenced by what you lay it down on, as well, so there's fun in that too.

Tv practise is great!

the best thing ive found is playing on a pillow with a towel overtop, ZERO rebound so you really have to exaggerate your technique, after a movie- length session, playing drums is a breeze

think of it as jumping on the ground, then going and jumping on a trampoline :)

For musical practice, offcourse it's not optimal, but hopefully TV practice is conditioning done in addition to and not instead of regular practice.

Tons better than doing nothing at all, that's for sure. There's a very clear connnection with both my rudimerntal skills and my left hand legato on guitar and this kind of practice. It's also a great time spent getting used to new techniques/motions.

Stanton Moore mentioned in his drum channel interview that this is how he practiced his traditional indexfinger technique.

I find that I can shorten and be more effective in my regular practice this way and then just go the extra mile in regards to conditioning while not using my head so much. Saves my mental energy and focus for the "real" practicing.

The tendency now is towards shorter and more focused practice sessions anyway, though.

I've never practiced to a TV. Not a tapper either. Any practice is on a real drum set. Kind of inconsiderate to be tapping when others want to zone out and watch the tube. I can't remember the last time I hit a practice pad.

I did get my left hand up to par by working on it while driving, one hand on the wheel, and my left hand doing exaggerated finger motions with a stick.

The great guitarist Tommy Tedesco said at a clinic that he practiced while watching TV.
He played along with commercials, jingles etc and eventually landed a career playing for commercials, jingles, movie scores you name it.

I don't play drums with TV but daily "for the fun of it" play along with tunes blasting through
an amp next to my drums. I get to play with the greats that way!

Back