E Kit A Kit blog thing

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Last summer I got back into drumming. Bought a big ass double bass set.

Was thrilled to be playing again but not thrilled with the overall sound.

Picked up an E kit (never played one before) to get extended practice hours.

Loved that I could actually hear what I was playing but cymbals less than ideal.

E kit records easier.

Many people said don't quit the A kit so I didn't.

I notice that 99% of professionals play accoustics.

Over the past few months I'd occaisionally sit at the A kit and it just sounded bad. Too much resonance and everything mushed together and the snare rings like crazy.

Yesterday I reworked my A kit, eliminating the second kick (playing with a double kick pedal), the 13" rack tom and 16" floor tom as well as some cymbals (still experimenting with those).

I like the A kit MUCH better now. For some reason the double pedal on the single kick sounds better. Maybe because of the muting effect? I didn't see the purpose of 3 rack toms and two floor toms. The bigger ones sounded too deep anyway. I put a bunch of masking tape on the snare head to dampen the ringing and it helped some.

I'm still not happy with any A cymbals either. I have a 22" Zildjian ride that's as big as a trash can lid, an 18" Sabian with a bunch of hammer marks, an 18" Zildian custom crash that I use as a ride, a 13" Zildian custom crash, a little 10" splash and a pair of 14" hi hats (which are the only ones I kind of like). I think I need thinner cymbals.

There may or may not be a question in my post. I may just be muttering to myself.

Original A kit

2011-12-06_09-12-21_772.jpg

Modified A kit

2012-01-19_15-34-23_98.jpg

Ekit

2011-12-23_18-33-02_560.jpg

At this point, if I could get a good E cymbal, I'd be happy playing them exclusively.

If I could get a proper room to play the A kit so I knew what they sounded like from 20-50' away, I'd be happy playing them exclusively.

Also, I'm sure I can jump back and forth between A and E with minimal adjustments.

Me thinks you need to learn how to tune better. :) If the acoustic kit is tuned up properly, it should have a much more distinct sound. I have a 16 piece acoustic kit, and all the drums sound good, along with the snare. I have an electronic kit, that I have no use for because it sounds and feels like an electronic kit. It is easier to go from acoustic to electronic, then electronic to acoustic. The e-kit will make you feel like a pro drummer, until you go back to the a-kit. E-kits are much easier to play.

Cool that you have (and practice with) both, it just makes you that much more valuable IMO. Glad you didn't give up on your acoustic kit, they're loud, bold and resonant but that's how they should be. :)

Back