Bobby Colomby

I struggled to play along with this tune when I was a kid. I still listen to BS&T today on a regular basis. Bobby was an icon for me. I loved his timing and control.

BC was a monster .

Colaiuta used to copy him lick for lick back in the day.

Funny thing is that BC said in an interview he was embarrassed by his time with BS&T and doesn't listen to any of the music.

Bobby Colomby: I Learned to Play Drums Playing Monk's Music

SKF NOTE: Bobby Colomby is a record producer of note. He is also an excellent drummer, best known, perhaps, as an original member of Blood, Sweat, and Tearshttp://www.bloodsweatandtears.com/.

bobby_colomby_big.jpg

Bobby Colomby

Bobby Colomby: ...Thelonious Monk['s]...music to me is very personal. Whatever he plays - it could be a standard or one of his incredible compositions - all of them have been great, he puts his own stamp on it. It becomes a Monk tune. On an instrumentthat so many people play - look at the union book - he absolutely has captured his own style, and no one has been able to come close to being that innovative on that instrument.

So he, to me, is one of the two or three great all-time musicians - and for a reason, not just by his reputation.

His music has meant a lot to me. I learned how to play the drums by playing with his music. I know songs that he forgot he wrote.

My brother was his manager for many years and I was the original Monk groupie. I was always sitting around saying, "Yeah, T., whatever you say!" He'd say, "Go n there and get me a glass of..." and I'd say, "Yes sir! On the double!" I just love his music.

Source: Bobby Colomby "Blindfold Test," by Leonard Feather. Down Beat, November 4, 1976

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Just started listening to this podcast about BST. Bobby is a guest along with a filmmaker - they are telling a pretty wild story about the band in the late 60's to early 70's (yes, there is a new documentary). One word review.... WOWZA! I never knew much about BST, or certainly Bobby, their drummer. BTW, huge fan of the Lefsetz podcast. He goes DEEP when he interviews people.

Last edited:
Back