King of Isolation: Remote Audio HN-7506 or UltraPhones?

koalas

I am looking for somebody who has owned or used both the Ultraphones and Remote Audio HN-7506 headphones. It is my understanding that these two are the best on the market in terms of isolation. If there are others I've missed, please let me know. I want really insane isolation... Ideally, I would like to be able to pound on the drums and not hear a thing, so the only thing I can hear is the sound of the mic'd drums in my phones.

I used to own a pair of "Extreme Isolation" headphones and will never go back to that brand. The isolation was very poor. I also used to own Vic Firth headphones, and while the isolation was better, the sound quality was disappointing and they were a little uncomfortable. I think IEM's are uncomfortable too; I will only use them in live situations.

Also, the Beyerdynamic DT770M apparently has an impressive 35dB isolation, but I didn't even known they were isolation headphones. I guess based on that figure, they should be better than the UltraPhones? Perhaps they are a serious isolation contender?

I think that the HN-7506 is more attractive than the UltraPhones (moot point I know), but I've read that the earpads of the HN-7506 leak fluid easily while the UltraPhones does not have this problem.

I'd be willing to spend $50 more for the HN-7506 headphones if the isolation really is 33% better. Remote Audio claims the HN-7506 provides "over 40 dB of attenuation", while the UltraPhones have 29dB. I'm not sure how trustworthy the specs from the manufacturer are.. so I would love to see if someone has used both and noticed that one had the edge in isolation. I'd imagine they sound similar because they both use Sony MDR-7506 drivers, so my primary concerns are the isolation amount, comfort, and build quality (in that order).

Please give me your two cents! Thank you for your help.

There are a few things that come into play re iso phones:

db reduction claims are typically skewed for the best result. Even UltraPhones - my go-to phones for over 10 years - pick the ideal frequency for their -29db spec.

I haven't found any phones or in-ears that let you "not hear a thing", there will always be a little sound that comes through. I will say that with my -29db phones, I sit at my kit, play it pretty hard, and still have to put drums in the mix to really hear what I'm playing, so they accomplish what I need, and undoubtedly what you're looking for in terms of having the most control over the mix.

You do need to consider sound quality at least on a par with the isolation. You're going to rely on the drivers, so they'd better sound great!

And most importantly, isolation depends on a good seal around your ears. If you've got short hair, buzz cut, or shaved is ideal, you'll get the ultimate isolation any phones can deliver. But any amount of hair that hampers that seal, will reduce isolation and let outside sound in. I'm not suggesting you cut your hair just for that, but it is a consideration. My hair is short, and I buzz cut when I tour so my isolation is excellent (and I also don't have "bunk head" when I wake up!)

Hope that helps! BTW, I had tried the Extreme Isolation phones, and thought the isolation was good, but the sound was not. Got rid of those phones immediately! Also not a fan of the MetroPhones (are they still around?) or Vic Firth phones (although I love their sticks and salt & pepper mills!)

Bermuda

The Beyerdynamic DT-770Ms certainly are a contender and they are specifically designed for tracking and live sound. I really, really like them and I think Beyerdynamic make fantastic audio products. The sound from their phones is universally excellent and I would happily recommend them for a number of applications. Make sure you get the correct pair though because some of the DT-770s are not isolating headphones. Check the model numbers very carefully.

Bermuda cites extensive experience with the UltraPhones too and I have no doubt that they can deliver the isolation and sound quality you seek.

My recommendation for you is to see if you can find anywhere (like a pro audio shop) to try out the different headphones. Find a pair that you like the sound of and deliver the isolation you need. If you buy a pair with a sound that you find fatiguing then don't buy them. Ideally try to listen to a test CD of material that you are familiar with for at least ten minutes, take a couple of minutes out and then listen to the same CD with the same levels and an otherwise identical setup.

If you can't do that then there are websites that have reasonably decent subjective reviews. One I've read a few times when deciding is:

http://www.headphonereviews.org

I've never been disappointed with a pair of high-end headphones that I've bought using the above methods.

My recommendation for you is to see if you can find anywhere (like a pro audio shop) to try out the different headphones.

Sadly, the UltraPhones are by order from the builder (drummer Gordy Knudtson) and not stocked anywhere. It's a bit of a leap of faith I suppose, Gordy relies on word of mouth between pros, and that word is always good.

Ideally, yes, Koalas should audition the phones. But if not thrilled with any, guive the UltraPhones a try. I've been thrilled with them for years, and always use them on stage and in the studio.

Bermuda

I second the Ultraphones having used my pair for the last ten years now. I think he offers a money back guarantee if you're not happy, right?

I imagine so... but I doubt anyone's ever taken him up on it.

Just chjecked the site, yep - "a 14 day money back guarantee, and a 90 day warranty from date of purchase"

I've had only 2 problems with my phones, no doubt due to wear & tear and occasional extreme volume (I like it loud!*) In one, a driver came loose and rattled, and another, I blew out a driver. Gordy replaced both at no charge (I paid shipping to send to him.)

Bermuda

* One time at a theater, I went to FOH and the guy turned off the mains, and just ran the click to my phones hanging on my kit on stage. I could hear them quite clearly!

Thanks for all the info guys. But really I am just hearing about how good one pair of headphones is... does anyone have experience with both the UltraPhones and the Remote Audio's or the Beyerdynamics? Because it is all relative.

I love the ultraphones! They sound great, are durable and offer the best isolation of any earphones I've tried (& with my sensitive/damaged ears I've tried pretty much all of them).

Order up, they're worth it!

You can't wear earmuffs and block all sound. Sound will get in through your nose and mouth and even through your skull by bony transmission. So the idea of playing drums and not hearing anything but the speakers is a pipe dream. It might be possible if you want to use earplug style monitors under a sound proofed motorcycle style helmet that lets you breath air pumped in from a quiet source. I'm sure you could have something like that built for a few grand.

Ultraphones appear to be a set of these: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-H10...id=1355545373&sr=8-1&keywords=peltor+earmuffs
with some nice drivers installed in them. I made my own isolating headphones using those earmuffs and the drivers from a pair of ATH M20 headphones. I paid $14 for the Peltors and $30 for the Audio Technicas. I drilled 3 holes, soldered a couple of wires, and the headphones were good to go for under $50. The Ultraphones do use better drivers than I did, but the M20 drivers work very well and I spent less than 1/4th the price of Ultraphones. I built a second pair using a cheap set of headphones I had sitting around that also work, but those only used NR21 protection and it isn't enough. May swap those drivers to something more protective.

The only way you will know which pair of those work best for you is to try them. In ear monitors worn under a pair of those Peltor earmuffs will sound better and provide more external sound protection, but that may not be comfortable for you.

Last edited:
Hello

I'm really interested in buying these headphones. From your experiences, is a headphone amp required to use these headphones? Could you get good results from an iPhone or ipad?

Thanks

Plenty of volume from an iPad!

Back