Girl drummers

That's brilliant! Although . . . this has to be the winner for "most artificial drum sound".

that is hilarious !!!

....and now after reviving this dead thread I have officially taken it's topic completely off course.....for that I apologize

but that was great.......and even better hair

sound like mic'd up drums in a live room to me

definitely EQd some.....but I wouldnt call it hideously over processed I dont think
Fair comment Anthony. I was referring to EQ mainly, & in the context of a video made for the purposes of allowing the listener to hear the sound of the product. In performance terms, it was "moderate" :)

Yup! That cardboard box is a killer. Got to get me one of those :)

That's brilliant! Although . . . this has to be the winner for "most artificial drum sound".
Now that's funny! (+clever & inventive).

that is hilarious !!!

....and now after reviving this dead thread I have officially taken it's topic completely off course.....for that I apologize

but that was great.......and even better hair
Nothing wrong with a bit of mid thread fun :)

Hi everyone,
I like to refer to it as the 'before and after' look!
The look on some musicians faces when you turn up to a gig and the look afterwards!!
It's hilarious.
But on a more somber tone, sexist attitudes do exist and I can see a few on here do still discriminate and it just plain saddens me deeply.
Whereas I appreciate it is probably some stupid percentage of only 5 % female drummers, I wish people would just stop it... drop having to be described as a 'female' drummer, I am just a Drummer trying hard to keep making a living from what I love.
I take my craft very seriously, have done for 32 years, it's all I know.

Enough already!! LOL
Let us get on with becoming the best ' musical' players we can be!
:)

PS I've just come back from NYC and was doing the rounds of the Jazz clubs to meet some musician/tap dance friends and sit in...
Met Kim Thompson, she sat in with Robert Glasper, just incredible playing!
Would like to set her up behind a screen LOL

I play percussion in an Indie/Soukous group and our drummer is a girl who I've know a few years now, for the most part people are nice but a little too often people will come up to her and say "You're a pretty good drummer for a girl" or something in that area. I guess its more ignorance than rudeness but its not something I'd want to deal with.

PS I've just come back from NYC and was doing the rounds of the Jazz clubs to meet some musician/tap dance friends and sit in...
Met Kim Thompson, she sat in with Robert Glasper, just incredible playing!
Would like to set her up behind a screen LOL

I caught Kim playing with Mike Stern on a couple of occasions at the 55 Bar, before it became a jazz club, when it was just a bar that Mike played at on any given Monday or Tuesday. Kim blew my mind. She smokes, plays with fire, chops and taste. The complete drummer who happens to be a very fine looking young woman and who can make more than one male drummer want to hide. She´s a great drummer for a drummer.

I am just a Drummer trying hard to keep making a living from what I love. I take my craft very seriously, have done for 32 years, it's all I know.

... and you've done very very well in your drumming career if you don't mind me saying, you're a brilliant drummer and ... on top of it, a very nice and approachable person.

I was delighted to meet you at the LDS on Sunday :)

Here's what Cindy Blackman think of "gender" subject....

"The gender question is not even worth bringing up because the drums have got nothing to do with gender, I'm there because I love to play music. And I'm in support of anyone who wants to play the instrument. I wouldn't care if Art Blakey was pink with polka dots and wearing a tutu. I wouldn't care if Tony Williams was green. There are people who have opinions about whatever and whoever, in terms of gender, in terms of race and weight, hairstyle, religion... but to me, your personality influences what you play and what you do, but everything else is for you to develop and to nourish and to take further, and that's where I'm at. In terms of my goals, me being a female drummer has nothing to with anything except for the fact that I wear bras and panties and guys don't."

I rest my case... in this world there's only drummers, some are better than others, some are pros and some are hobbyists, gender does not come into the equation... except for those gorgeous looks (but it applies for both genders, right girls?)

To be honest, I've never seen one of the really good girl/lady drummers live or on DVD. Maybe one day...

gender does not come into the equation... except for those gorgeous looks (but it applies for both genders, right girls?)

I don't know. Outstanding ability is incredibly attractive per se.

It's great to know that drumming transcends sexist boundaries, age boundaries, racist boundaries - I love girl drummers, baby drummers, old drummers and drummers of all races - I wish I had the skill of some of these guys/girls!! At the end of the day it's all about how good you are that counts.

TJ

www.britchops.co.uk

...'re a pretty good drummer for a girl" or something in that area. I guess its more ignorance than rudeness but its not something I'd want to deal with.

This would piss me off. Either I'm good, or I'm not. Don't raise or lower the bar, based on my sex.

What's next? Black drummers are better than white drummers?

Young vs old?

Lefties vs righties?

Same logic applies.

The looks may draw them in but only the playing can make them stay....

Back