20" kick - pedal height?

john gerrard

I'm getting my first 20 inch kick and I'm wondering about pedal height. I've also got a 24 kick, I've had 22" kicks and I just sold my 18"kick. I know the 22" & 24" are no problem, but on my 18" I needed a riser to get the pedal beater to strike the center of the head. On the 20's that I've seen it looks like the beater shaft would have to be shortend too much to get it to strike in the center. Can you all enlighten me how you go about achieving the beater to strike the center of the head ? Thanks in advance. John

In my opinion and many others you should have the beater just off center, so raise it up about one inch above center and see how that works.

I've never set my beater height to hit a certain spot; I always set it for optimum pedal feel.

The centre of a drumhead is the deadest possible spot you can hit, so my recommendation would be to try and avoid that spot completely.

I had an 18" bass drum and also needed a riser. However, I also have a 20" bass drum and don't need a riser. I do shorten the beater a little, but as it turns out, I think I like it better a littler shorter anyway.

Your mileage may vary...

I hav a 20" bass drum and my pedal hits a little off center. Like G'DAD said, you don't want it hitting dead center. If it's a heavily muffled head, it may not matter though...

Try both slightly above and slightly below dead center and see how your foot likes it. Adjust accordingly.

Measured 'em up for ya'.

I have a riser in the lowest position on my 18" - the middle of the beater is hitting 1" above center - 10" up from the inside of the lower rim.

No riser on my 20", and the middle of the beater is hitting 2&1/2" above center. At 12&1/2" above the inside of the lower rim. And that's with the beater lowered just a little bit too.
A riser would put it about 1/2" above center.

They both sound pretty good though.

I leave my beater at the same height for all bass drum sizes, and I play an 18" without a riser sometimes. Hitting off center offers more tone than hitting directly center. I say keep the height where you've been comfortable with it and just play the drum.

With any bass drum I adjust the beater's height depending on the tone I want to hear from the drum. I have both 22" and 20" bass drums and the height I usually end up with is an inch or two above dead center. A lot of this also depends on the type of beater I'm using.

Dennis

Yeah John don't sweat it, just let it hit a little above center.
I have a few 20's ,no problem with pedal height. Shortened beaters a bit yes.

I also have a few 18's - some with risers and some - like the one that comes with the Gretsch 57 - I just said screw it...no riser. That Gibralter clamp onto the hoop travesty will never adorn one of my drums again. Have gone through 3 of them with various drums over a decade, they always fall apart...require constant attention. Annoying. Avoid.

Neal

Well, I got my new kit and have the the beater set to strike about 1 to 1 & 3/4 inches above center. Everything is working fine. Thanks for the comments. John

I strike my 20" kick just below center. Of course, with different heads, drum depths, beater angles, etc. YMMV. I suggest you tune it up, find the "sweet spot" by tapping it with an unmounted beater or mallet, and set your beater up for that height (or as close as a comfortable stroke allows).

I strike my 20" kick just below center. Of course, with different heads, drum depths, beater angles, etc. YMMV. I suggest you tune it up, find the "sweet spot" by tapping it with an unmounted beater or mallet, and set your beater up for that height (or as close as a comfortable stroke allows).

Do you have a riser on that 20? If not, you must have a pretty short beater length to be hitting below center. Does it seem to play pretty normal?

Back