Looking for 13" die cast hoops with 8 holes

Okay, it looks like I should've taken more time before posting. Drum Factory Direct has the largest selection of die-cast hoops that I know of, which is why I just posted them. However, taking a look at the other parts suppliers I know of, it looks like it's pretty easy to find...

American Drum Parts (scroll to the bottom)

Precision Drum Company

Drummaker

Ego Drum Supply

I'll leave it up to you to do price comparisons, since I don't know if you want chrome or something else.

Thanks. Are any of them settled in Europe, or will they ship at a reasonable price to Europe?

Any favorites? The prices go from $11 to $75.

I tried to see if you had your location listed anywhere before posting and couldn't find it, so I went ahead and posted, crossing my fingers that you'd be on this side of the pond. All of the companies I listed are based in the US, and to be honest, I don't have any idea how much they'd charge for international shipping (or if they'll even do it in the first place).

I'm pretty sure if you saw something for $11, it was a flanged hoop. A lot of these sites have similar products listed very close to each other, so read carefully before ordering! I was keeping an eye on prices when I went to those sites, and anything die-cast will likely be between $35 and $75.

Now for the good news... after a little digging, I did find some companies based in Europe. Woot!

Lunar Percussion (Germany) apparently distributes Drum Foundry items in Europe. They don't specifically list die-cast hoops, but it's probably worth sending them an email to ask if they can do it.

HighWood Drums (UK) sells them, though they mention specifically that their die-cast offerings aren't always in stock. (To see them, click on the picture to enter the website, then click "Drum Parts and Components" from the menu at the top, "Hoops" from the listing on the left, and then scroll to the bottom.)

St Drums (Germany) offers them. (Choose "Hardware + Accessories" from the listing on the left, choose "Hoops," then do some scrolling. Right now they're sold out of brass in the size/selection you want, but they do have black chrome and good-old-fashioned regular chrome.)

Custom Drums (Germany) also has them, though it's unclear whether you can order a snare-side hoop or not.

Unfortunately, that's all I could find, so hopefully ordering from Germany or the UK isn't a problem!

I tried to see if you had your location listed anywhere before posting and couldn't find it, so I went ahead and posted, crossing my fingers that you'd be on this side of the pond. All of the companies I listed are based in the US, and to be honest, I don't have any idea how much they'd charge for international shipping (or if they'll even do it in the first place).

I'm pretty sure if you saw something for $11, it was a flanged hoop. A lot of these sites have similar products listed very close to each other, so read carefully before ordering! I was keeping an eye on prices when I went to those sites, and anything die-cast will likely be between $35 and $75.

Now for the good news... after a little digging, I did find some companies based in Europe. Woot!

Lunar Percussion (Germany) apparently distributes Drum Foundry items in Europe. They don't specifically list die-cast hoops, but it's probably worth sending them an email to ask if they can do it.

HighWood Drums (UK) sells them, though they mention specifically that their die-cast offerings aren't always in stock. (To see them, click on the picture to enter the website, then click "Drum Parts and Components" from the menu at the top, "Hoops" from the listing on the left, and then scroll to the bottom.)

St Drums (Germany) offers them. (Choose "Hardware + Accessories" from the listing on the left, choose "Hoops," then do some scrolling. Right now they're sold out of brass in the size/selection you want, but they do have black chrome and good-old-fashioned regular chrome.)

Custom Drums (Germany) also has them, though it's unclear whether you can order a snare-side hoop or not.

Unfortunately, that's all I could find, so hopefully ordering from Germany or the UK isn't a problem!

You're amazing! Thanks for the help.

I have a brass snare. Is it worth ordering a brass rim instead of chrome or steel? Will the difference be audible; how?

I want to upgrade because the rim click is too soft (I often play with maple sticks). The rest on the snare is fine and doesn't need change. On a side note, did anyone change rims and do you think it's worth it?

You're amazing! Thanks for the help.

I have a brass snare. Is it worth ordering a brass rim instead of chrome or steel? Will the difference be audible; how?

I want to upgrade because the rim click is too soft (I often play with maple sticks). The rest on the snare is fine and doesn't need change. On a side note, did anyone change rims and do you think it's worth it?

Google and Ghostnote deserve more credit than I do, but you're certainly welcome!

To be honest, I don't know much about brass hoops. I'm pretty sure that most die-cast "brass" hoops are actually just brass-plated, not solid brass; I think the brass is just there for visual effect -- to look give the "gold" look without costing a fortune. (For that matter, it's also worth noting that the color of brass on the rims might not quite perfectly align with the shade of your brass snare.) In comparison to using a regular chrome die-cast hoop, this probably wouldn't affect the what you hear when playing the drum, but might have an affect on your rim clicks. I also don't know how well the plating holds up under after thousands of clicks. (That's not to say it won't; I just don't have any experience with it.) From what little I've read, it sounds like sound and durability shouldn't be an issue, though the plating may scratch. What you may want to do is even just spend some time in the "Your Place" section of the forum hunting for posts where you see brass hoops, then hunting down/PMing those people to ask about their experience. (Particularly considering the thread title, I don't know if you'll get many people chiming in on their own.)

For your final question, I assume you're changing from triple-flanged? If so, there are many, many threads on the topic that should give you an idea of the range of opinions. However, I don't recall anyone giving the tone/feel of rim clicks as a reason for their switch.

For your final question, I assume you're changing from triple-flanged? If so, there are many, many threads on the topic that should give you an idea of the range of opinions. However, I don't recall anyone giving the tone/feel of rim clicks as a reason for their switch.

Hmm, the die cast hoops on my previous snare definitely had a louder rim click.

Hmm, the die cast hoops on my previous snare definitely had a louder rim click.

I switched my 1.6mm batter hoop on my Pacific CX snare to a Gibraltar 2.3mm [both flanged], specifically to improve the rim click. Worked like a charm.

Back