Tips to make myself appear more professional

And a lot of the drummers that I've been turned on to the last few years have been through YouTube. It's the perfect tool to promote and advertise yourself. How much you want to invest in mics and cams is up to you, but I don't think you'll need thousands of dollars to be able to get your point across.

I would only really have 300 or so dollars to invest in mics. Could I get a set of mics for that much, even if they aren't that great??

I don't know, man. I've been doing these videos for a while now and nobody's calling me, either ;)

Perhaps you should take the professional route and have experienced people make the video. I'm doing the home-grown route and it definitely does not compare to more professional uploads. Do some research on what it takes to do HD quality videos and oyu may re-consider.

I don't have the gear to do that sort of thing, BUT my school does have a pretty good broadcasting and multimedia program so I could probably get a kid from school to shoot video and record me. The only problem is I would have to have the mics, because I don't suspect the school owns drum mics. That's the only setback at the moment.

Larry covered everything I had to offer, but there is one more thing:

NO NOODLING!!

At rehearsals (and especially at gigs, though that should go without saying), no tippity tapping, noodling, random rolls between songs or takes. Especially if there is a discussion about the arrangement, if any musician is tuning up, etc. etc.

( Guitarists are usually the worst for this (!), but drummers can be more irritating if they do it too!)

Good luck on your gig. (how is your volume control coming along?)

Cheers,
radman

I'm good with not noodling because we have long formal rehearsals for marching band, concert band, jazz band, etc. Anything we do in school, good rehearsal etiquette is a must because our band director is always working out something that didn't sound right.

And the volume control is much better. I only wear one ear on my headphones (so I can hear piano) and I can hear myself a lot easier now. Plus I think that lady was just complaining for no good reason.

Thanks for asking! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I must have scrolled past your message by accident.

The best networking site is not a site, but going out and meeting people. Facebook is a good reminder to people that you exist, but you have to meet them in person first. That means going to where they are playing, and going to jam sessions, if any.

I met a guy on facebook through a friend who knew I was searching for people to Jam with. They live a bit far, but I'm trying to work out the details with them so we can get together. My schedule is busy, and so is theirs, but they don't exactly match up, so it's hard. Especially because my musical theater gig eats up my weekends.

It doesn't matter. It's more fun to hand somebody something interesting, but ultimately they just want the information on it.

That's true, but aesthetics do matter, because it's a small window into my music. Do I take myself seriously? Am I an artist, or just a drummer, etc. I don't want to appear sloppy.

Otherwise:
  • Get there early, and be ready to hit at the appointed time.
  • Carry brushes, a music stand, and a pencil.
  • Turn your snares off when you're not playing, or are away from the drums.
  • Keep up your personal appearance.
  • Be easy to hang with.
  • Have control over your dynamics.
  • Be ready to play the types of gigs you are trying to get called for, or that you are likely to get called for.
  • Be able to separate playing the job from personal expression when necessary.
  • Keep a positive attitude no matter what everyone else is doing.

I always try to arrive an hour or half an hour before the call time, because drums take a while to set up.
I have brushes sticks, stand, and a nerdy little pencil case with me always. and my music, of course. And a pad to warm up on
I do that for my own sanity. The buzz is sooo annoying.
I try and be well dressed and groomed. I do have a bit of an odd fashion sense. these are my favorite shorts. Goofy, I know.
I'm actually working on my dynamics now. Musical Theater people say I'm too loud, so I'm doing that now. I need some work on that, but all of it will come in due time with diligent practice.
I try to always be ready no matter what :) As I get more gigs, I'm sure this will get harder.
I'm not quite sure you mean. Do you mean act professionally and don't take things personally about my playing? Elaborate please :)
I do try always! Everyone I've talked to thus far has said that. It's got to be pretty important
My response is in quotes. Thanks for your time and response!

Bo, your videos look great....................BTW, you are one of the lucky few who gets to drum for a living...........................from what I've seen, you do an excellent job of it.

Still not sold on the 17" hats though

Send me a link, please :) I'd love to watch.

17" Hi Hats are something else. I think Sabian did a spotlight on a guy who made hi hats out of 20" crashes. It sounded pretty cool. Not sure what company it was.

Thank you to EVERYONE who has left a comment here for me. I really appreciate your input and time to help me improve my craft.

Bo, your videos look great....................BTW, you are one of the lucky few who gets to drum for a living...........................from what I've seen, you do an excellent job of it.

Still not sold on the 17" hats though

It's a learning curve. It's always such a chore to even making one for me, so I'm glad you like them. But you see Cobus or the Sonor girls' videos and they do such a great job. It must be nice to have a production team to do all of that.

I was being sarcastic about nobody ever calling. I'd like the phone to ring more, but with the full time job I do have, I'd be saying no alot. Unless the drumming jobs can be as steady as what I'm doing now, and pay for health insurance, and the cars, and the house, I'm happy where I'm at for the moment.

I've been really happy with the 15's for now. I haven't used the 17s in a while ;)

Most of the business is "who you know" and not "how you can play"and luck. If you aren't a social butterfly like you stated , it may get a little hard to get somewhere. Work on your social skills.

Gold Larry, absolutely GOLD... should be required reading!

Here's a few important guidelines I try and follow:

First off....be a great friggin drummer. Job #1. They should want to go out of their way to play with you and believe me, they WILL prefer to play with a good drummer. One that is steady and solid, with rock solid time and who LISTENS HARD to the others. Practice to a metronome. A good drummer gets called, period.

Keep your volume in check. You should NOT be the loudest guy on the stage. Having a good sense of appropriate volume will truly be appreciated by your mates, and the audience. Know your dynamics. In my 6 piece band, whenever the piano player solos, I ALWAYS drop my volume, and most times I go to a rim click. If you play behind a flute player, go even quieter. You should be able to hear everyone while playing from where you are sitting.

A can do attitude is a pleasure to be around. This implies no ego. Humble and willing. Attitude is major important. Do NOT drift off into your own world while drumming. You have to remain sharp and aware for visual cues. A drummer inspires confidence in his mates when he can play the drums, and still have enough brainpower left over to communicate with the others, both verbally and non. In other words being aware of the others while you are in the thick of your own playing. Some guys use the whole of their brainpower on their drums. As a result, it is frustrating to the others when they need to communicate with the drummer.

Listen a lot more than you talk. Be good at going with the flow and thinking on your feet. Learn to read the others minds musically and anticipate what they want/need. Their body language is a great indicator.

Look at your soloists (and listen) when they are soloing and try to anticipate their spaces. Hopefully you have the ability to turn on a dime if they cue you. Like out of the blue, they may want to drop down and play real quiet at the start of a progression. You don't want to miss that boat.

Eye contact, good non verbal communication. Truly be a supportive presence. That's your job. When my guitarist is fumbling around behind his amp, I whip out my little flashlight and shine it where he needs it. Things like that go a long way. If my bass player is clearly stressed and sweating about something, I will point my fan at him.

A drummer needs to be a lot of things that the others don't necessarily have to do. Know the role of a drummer. I've seen too many drummers who approach it like a lead instrument. Drums are not a lead instrument. Know your role.

Things like being early and being prepared are a given. Have reliable transportation and great sounding gear.

Most of the business is "who you know" and not "how you can play"and luck. If you aren't a social butterfly like you stated , it may get a little hard to get somewhere. Work on your social skills.

Not to say that I'm not personable or polite, but sometimes I'm a little shy, and I miss subtle social cues.

Try wearing some nice shoes. Sensible shoes, you know?

Oh, I have a fantastic pair of shoes. I love my dress shoes :p

Gold Larry, absolutely GOLD... should be required reading!

It really was a lot of good information!

The best advice I can give you is to become a musician who plays drums not just a drummer. The more you understand about music the easier it will be to get in with the best musicians around.

You want to play with great musicians you have to become a great musician. Period.

^^ i love to analyze and truly listen to music. I've been playing piano also for 10 years, so I've got a good solid musical foundation. i pride myself on being not just another drummer. I am a musician who plays percussion.

Back