Stick suggestions

Mattie

My first post, so go easy on me :)...

I always used to wonder why manufacturers have SO many different stick types to choose from (taper, length, wood-type, tips, etc.). But now, after 30 years playing, I think I actually have a stick design that would be perfect for ME (for most playing situations I do).

Can anyone point me to a stick that would be as close to this as possible? (until a stick company approaches me to make my own signature model. Yeah, right :)

Length: 15.5"
Wood: Hickory
Thickness: .550
Taper: SHORT as possible
Tip: Not as picky about this

Basically this is a Vic Firth 7A (which I play now), but I REALLY want a short, short, taper (the VF 7A is med or long taper) so the balance is moved toward the tip more)

Thanks!
~Mattie

What about the Pro-Mark forward balance sticks? I'm not familiar with the exact specs available, but they have recently started offering sticks of the same diameters with differing tapers.

Besides the new offerings, I've notice Pro-Marks in the sizes I use tend to have a shorter taper than VF, anyway.

I have also custom ordered sticks, but the company I dealt with is defunct now. Plus, I found that the custom sticks, despite being exactly what I wanted and feeling fantastic when I got them, quickly began to feel average. What I learned is that I can get used to any stick, lol.

Good luck in your search.

Try the AS7A or "american sound 7a". Has a different tip and shorter taper while being about the size of the standard 7a.

What about the Pro-Mark forward balance sticks? I'm not familiar with the exact specs available, but they have recently started offering sticks of the same diameters with differing tapers.

Besides the new offerings, I've notice Pro-Marks in the sizes I use tend to have a shorter taper than VF, anyway.

I have also custom ordered sticks, but the company I dealt with is defunct now. Plus, I found that the custom sticks, despite being exactly what I wanted and feeling fantastic when I got them, quickly began to feel average. What I learned is that I can get used to any stick, lol.

Good luck in your search.

I've noticed this, too. I haven't held any of their new Select Balance sticks yet. Since their "standard" taper is forward of that of VF I would guess that would be the one they use in their "forward balance" sticks (or maybe even a little shorter taper), while their "rebound balance" sticks would be the same or further back than the equivalent VF stick.

Not too keen on the tips, though. Only one choice and that is an odd teardrop shape? Why not the tried and true oval shape that they are known for, or an acorn shape like on most VFs?

I was on the vater website recently and they really break down stick sizes as well as tip design etc. it explains a lot about what to expect from each wood, size, shape etc. check it out if you can.
they do some ride cymbal patterns with some sticks that only have different tips to hear the difference too.

Look at the Vic Firth Peter Erskine signature model. I have been using them for a while. 16.0 long .525 thick from my measurements. I use the nylon tip. I'm thinking its perfect for your wishes. Well here is the real thing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 7.51.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 7.51.24 PM.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 7.51.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 7.51.15 PM.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 167
I actually picked up a pair of Steve Smith sticks last weekend just to try them. It feels like a small 5A, but the balance is forward because of the shorter taper, and the tip is a hybrid acorn/barrel or an elongated acorn. Anyway, I like the tip a lot. I'm using them for the softer songs and the song by Sublime called Badfish because I need really fast hi-hat 16th notes on that song. Great sticks! I just wish they were about 0.25" longer, then they would be perfect for me.

My first post, so go easy on me :)...

I always used to wonder why manufacturers have SO many different stick types to choose from (taper, length, wood-type, tips, etc.). But now, after 30 years playing, I think I actually have a stick design that would be perfect for ME (for most playing situations I do).

Can anyone point me to a stick that would be as close to this as possible? (until a stick company approaches me to make my own signature model. Yeah, right :)

Length: 15.5"
Wood: Hickory
Thickness: .550
Taper: SHORT as possible
Tip: Not as picky about this

Basically this is a Vic Firth 7A (which I play now), but I REALLY want a short, short, taper (the VF 7A is med or long taper) so the balance is moved toward the tip more)

Thanks!
~Mattie

This sounds about like what I look for in a stick. I've been playing for almost 10 years and I'm still always looking for something better in a stick. I really like using a shorter stick; I feel I can control it easier. I use about 3 or 4 different pairs depending upon the situation and I'm always looking for one do-it-all stick. I don't think it exists...

However, another couple models that come close to the 7A (which has become my main stick too) are the HD4 or the Steve Gadd signature model. And of course the 7A American Sound with the round tip.

p.s. A lot of first time posters here ask that we go easy on them. Do we really have that bad of a reputation? :)
I hope I went easy enough on you. Now get outta here...you're bugging me. :)

Back