Beater striking position

EricT43

Hi guys.

I just noticed that my bass drum beater is striking the head about 1"-2" above the center of the drum. Who knows how long it's been set up like that, but I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that if you strike slightly off-center, you get a little more tone and roundness, and a little less attack.

Is this right? Where do you have your pedal set to hit the head? Dead center?

I personally don't place my beater based on where it is regarding the center of the drum. Meaning top of center, center or below. I usually adjust the beater height based on the feel I'm after. Sometimes it's on center, sometimes not it just depends on whether I want a lighter feel and/or quicker action. Also tbh it only takes very very small adjustments to get a different feel so I doub't I'm that far off of center anyway.

As for the physics side of it, well I suppose because you're striking less of the drum head, you won't get as much of the attack of the head as you're moving less of the head to get a sound out of it. If that makes sense. I would say it depends on the size of the bass drum as well. Honestly unless you have an extremely tall beater and a bass drum 18" or smaller, I don't think a couple inches of height will make too much of a difference.

Although with all that said, I find the idea of placing your beater off center for more tone and less attack a bit odd. There are better ways to get more tone vs attack of the head like going with one ply and getting a felt beater. Not an Iron Cobra felt beater, a 100% felt beater.

Hi guys.

I just noticed that my bass drum beater is striking the head about 1"-2" above the center of the drum. Who knows how long it's been set up like that, but I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that if you strike slightly off-center, you get a little more tone and roundness, and a little less attack.

Is this right? Where do you have your pedal set to hit the head? Dead center?

Not dead center in my case. I rely a lot on rebound when I play, so I usually set it below center.

That said, there's no right and wrong with placement. Experiment a bit to see what sound/response you want. Tightening the head, pedal spring tension, choice of beater, etc. can all have an impact on getting to the "sweet spot".

Just like your snare and toms, with the same velocity strike, you'll get the loudest, fullest, and lowest pitched sound in the center. As you move towards the edge, the sound will thin out, get a little quieter, and raise in pitch a bit. Rebound is least in the center and increases a bit towards the edges.

Depends on the size of the bass drum, but I adjust beater length for the best feel on the pedal. On an 18" drum the beater will strike way off center. On a 22", it's closer to center.

Back