Thinking about downsizing

I'm curious to see how this pans out. It'd be great if you post back your findings.

Will do Bill, thanks for hanging in there with me. I feel like I've been blowing this thread up, so I'll give it a rest for a bit and post back after my next band rehearsal and my visit to Dale's.

Excellent post, thank you. This is the kind of info I was looking for. Guess what kind of case I have for my 22"? Yep, an Anvil fiber case. Whats your take on the sound and feel differences between the 20" and the 22"? I've never played a 20" so any info you can share would be helpful.

I'm late to the party, but I've recently started downsizing for the same reasons. I have a 12-14-14x20 kit, with new soft cases, and a hardware bag instead of a trap case. Additionally, I've been replacing my hardware with lighter equivalents, i.e. a couple straight stands instead of booms, slightly lighter-duty hi hat stand. I find Yamaha hardware really good and durable, but lighter and generally a little more ergonomic. All this has made load-ins and outs at shows (sometimes 5-7 a week, sometimes 3 a night) WAY easier for me to handle.

It sounds like you have a plan, but my advice echos other posters (bags, 14x20 kick), but also think about hardware and maybe downsizing/rethinking that a little.

Good luck, and I look forward to reading what you've decided on!

I ditched my cases in 2010 and never looked back. My drums do not look scratched up either.

But if I recall, you keep yours in a van. There are those of us who use regular open bed trucks (like me). I have to use cases.

However, I may one day risk looking like a soccer mom and get a minivan one day ;)

But if I recall, you keep yours in a van. There are those of us who use regular open bed trucks (like me). I have to use cases.

However, I may one day risk looking like a soccer mom and get a minivan one day ;)

I drove full size pickups for years. Now I drive a minivan and will never go back! :)

It's a constant inner debate, and right when I'm convinced I should switch over, I have to haul 4x8 plywood, rent some large tool from Home Depot, or transport a motorcycle. But I do like the styling of those old Astro vans ;)

I've been considering putting a cap on my gmc pickup....a neighbor here has an excellent bed cover....hard cover with pneumatic assist and very secure lock. The whole assy can be taken off in 5 minutes to haul the odd refrigerator, etc.

I've been considering putting a cap on my gmc pickup....a neighbor here has an excellent bed cover....hard cover with pneumatic assist and very secure lock. The whole assy can be taken off in 5 minutes to haul the odd refrigerator, etc.

I thought about those, but some of my cases are tall, and a shell would be more up to what I need, but then, being a small guy, I'd be crawling around inside the cab to get things placed for transport. I'll investigate my needs further. I like the truck, and adding a cap or a shell is definitely cheaper than getting into another vehicle, eh?

I thought about those, but some of my cases are tall, and a shell would be more up to what I need, but then, being a small guy, I'd be crawling around inside the cab to get things placed for transport. I'll investigate my needs further. I like the truck, and adding a cap or a shell is definitely cheaper than getting into another vehicle, eh?

When we bought our first truck, almost 15 years ago, even my wife said we should never be without one. I was very pleased to hear that as I like to pretend I'm Bob Vila. I've been thinking the cap or shell is probably a good compromise for security and the late night lock and go. Right, cost is more attractive also and they will color match....plus our current gmc is dog approved and modified( he chewed the seat belts in half on the way to hb dog beach)

It's a constant inner debate, and right when I'm convinced I should switch over, I have to haul 4x8 plywood, rent some large tool from Home Depot, or transport a motorcycle. But I do like the styling of those old Astro vans ;)

I drive an Oldsmobile Silhouette. All the rear seats are removable. When I built my drum room, I hauled all the plywood and 2x4s in it. As for being able to haul a motorcycle, I've never tried but I think it might work. It would depend on the model of the bike. I am always amazed by the cargo capacity in that thing. And you don't have to worry about the rain! :)

I promised I would report back, and here I am! After a few weeks of playing, tweaking, and rehearsing with the Stagestars, here's what I've noticed.

This little "mystery wood" kit, with cheap metal bass drum hoops and tom mounts bolted right to the shell, sounds pretty darn good with good heads and good tuning. I used them for a few rehearsals since the last time I posted here. I wanted to use them a few times rather than post after one practice and get fooled by the "new car smell", so to speak. The bass drum sounds infinitely better since I swapped out the factory batter with an EMAD. Still haven't swapped out the factory reso (been busy), but I'm pretty happy with the punch and low end I'm consistently getting from this little drum. Next step is to port the reso (for mic purposes). We'll see if I'm still happy with the bass drum after I port it. I'm now convinced that this kit, as is, would work for some of my gigs with less than desireable load in/out conditions, but micing the kick would be a necessity in some of these rooms. I'm sure the sound out front will be fine, but I still want a satisfying sound from the throne. I'll be sure to report back after I port the drum.

I did go to Dale's, and I checked out both the Starclassic B/B's and the Silverstars with 20" kicks, 12" toms and 14" floor toms. The Starclassic was very nice, and the Silverstar, while technically a step down from my Saturns, would be plenty good enough for a gigging kit, I'm sure. I don't know about you guys, but when I shop for drums, beyond the specs and features...I just get a feeling when I find something I really like. I had money in my pocket, could've bought either kit, but I just didn't get that feeling, for whatever reason. I'm going to head back up there in a week or two and see if I have a different reaction. For now though, no new drums.

I'm considering selling my Saturns. I actually listed them on Craigslist, just to see if I get any bites. Not sure if I will actually go through with selling them if i get a good offer, or what I would buy to replace them. They're a joy to play, but not a joy to carry around. Having the Stagestars for really small places, and another kit with a 20" kick for general work sounds like a plan; I would just have to find the kit that speaks back to me and won't let me leave the store without it lol. To be continued...if anyone's got any kit suggestions or feed back of any kind, I'd love to hear it.

I promised I would report back, and here I am! After a few weeks of playing, tweaking, and rehearsing with the Stagestars, here's what I've noticed.

This little "mystery wood" kit, with cheap metal bass drum hoops and tom mounts bolted right to the shell, sounds pretty darn good with good heads and good tuning. I used them for a few rehearsals since the last time I posted here. I wanted to use them a few times rather than post after one practice and get fooled by the "new car smell", so to speak. The bass drum sounds infinitely better since I swapped out the factory batter with an EMAD. Still haven't swapped out the factory reso (been busy), but I'm pretty happy with the punch and low end I'm consistently getting from this little drum. Next step is to port the reso (for mic purposes). We'll see if I'm still happy with the bass drum after I port it. I'm now convinced that this kit, as is, would work for some of my gigs with less than desireable load in/out conditions, but micing the kick would be a necessity in some of these rooms. I'm sure the sound out front will be fine, but I still want a satisfying sound from the throne. I'll be sure to report back after I port the drum.

I did go to Dale's, and I checked out both the Starclassic B/B's and the Silverstars with 20" kicks, 12" toms and 14" floor toms. The Starclassic was very nice, and the Silverstar, while technically a step down from my Saturns, would be plenty good enough for a gigging kit, I'm sure. I don't know about you guys, but when I shop for drums, beyond the specs and features...I just get a feeling when I find something I really like. I had money in my pocket, could've bought either kit, but I just didn't get that feeling, for whatever reason. I'm going to head back up there in a week or two and see if I have a different reaction. For now though, no new drums.

I'm considering selling my Saturns. I actually listed them on Craigslist, just to see if I get any bites. Not sure if I will actually go through with selling them if i get a good offer, or what I would buy to replace them. They're a joy to play, but not a joy to carry around. Having the Stagestars for really small places, and another kit with a 20" kick for general work sounds like a plan; I would just have to find the kit that speaks back to me and won't let me leave the store without it lol. To be continued...if anyone's got any kit suggestions or feed back of any kind, I'd love to hear it.

I don't know man, if you like the Saturns, I think you should keep them. I have the Ludwig Breakbeats kit now, and I love the fact that it's always ready to go for a quick rehearsal or something, but if I do anything 'serious', the Ludwig Classic Maples come out because I believe that if I'm getting paid, then your best foot should always come forward. People love my little kit, but I bet if I played on a big stage that they hired me for, they'd be inwardly angry and feel like I ripped them off if I didn't give them what they were expecting. Probably would never happen, but I feel that way.

I don't know man, if you like the Saturns, I think you should keep them. I have the Ludwig Breakbeats kit now, and I love the fact that it's always ready to go for a quick rehearsal or something, but if I do anything 'serious', the Ludwig Classic Maples come out because I believe that if I'm getting paid, then your best foot should always come forward. People love my little kit, but I bet if I played on a big stage that they hired me for, they'd be inwardly angry and feel like I ripped them off if I didn't give them what they were expecting. Probably would never happen, but I feel that way.

If I sell the Saturns I'm going to pick up another kit. I won't be using the Stagestars for my primary kit, just for certain gigs. After all of the experimenting and research I've done lately, I'm thinking that a 12-14-20 kit would really work well for my playing and take some of the sting out of transporting them. I'm a big guy looking for smaller drums; I guess we're just opposites lol.

Gish, you accomplished something I never could: walking out of Dale's with money in my pocket! Discipline--good on you. Tks for the update and I look forward to hearing about your eventual solution.

Gish, you accomplished something I never could: walking out of Dale's with money in my pocket! Discipline--good on you. Tks for the update and I look forward to hearing about your eventual solution.

Lol, yeah, it was the first and most likely last time that'll happen.

Well, since it's been 4 years I guess it's time to respond lol. I finally picked up a kit that had the specs I wanted at very modest price point. I wanted a 12-14-20 with a wrap for live work. Did not want an 18x20 but at the price point I was shopping at I realized that size was most likely what would be available. After a very patient search I found this used Tama Silverstar. 8x12, 14x14, and 14x20. I had no idea they made a 14x20 in this series. Also came with a very nice 5x14 Tama SLP steel snare. I picked this up yesterday, so haven't swapped any heads yet. The bass drum packs a punch and has some serious low end for a 20" (never used a kick port before, so not sure how much influence it has on the tone I'm hearing). Super happy with this kit; not used to seeing this attention to detail on a kit in this price range.

Attachments

• IMG_6911.JPG
    IMG_6911.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6912.JPG
    IMG_6912.JPG
    837.6 KB · Views: 87
Nice score. 20-14-12 is a great gigging combo, sort of the perfect balance between sound and portability. I also prefer a wrap finish on a gig kit for the durability. I'd say you've nailed it.

Nice score. 20-14-12 is a great gigging combo, sort of the perfect balance between sound and portability. I also prefer a wrap finish on a gig kit for the durability. I'd say you've nailed it.

I have an older set of Stage Customs in those sizes. Tried all sorts of head combos and tunings, and just was never fully satisfied with it (although I tried to convince myself I was). This Tama kit sounds leaps and bounds better than my Stage Custom. Not as good as the Saturn kit, but honestly not as far off as you might think. Very impressed; also quite happy that the kick turned out to be 14x20 instead of the 18x20 that I was expecting!

Silverstar sounds good, and they're nice looking. I remember they were quite light, compared to superstar and veerryy light compared to my current kit. This is interesting since you requested easy to transport kit.
You made a good choice.
I tweaked the floor Tom by adding air suspension rubber feet (Pearl) to add sustain, it worked well.

Back