Sonor's build quality- not what it used to be.

+2 on the excellent service from Sam. I have only bought some small hardware pieces from him when I got my 3007 kit but the price and service was escellent. I am seriously considering buying a set of Ascents from him after the first of the year. I'd love to drive up to his place and check out some of the kits in his inventory. He's only about 4hrs from me.

Best of luck with your issues. I hope you get them resolved.

Sure I am positive you likely know him:

http://www.samiamstudios.com/

Out of Northville, MI

He actually can get me some Sonor stuff cheaper than I can get it in Germany and I also bought a Bop kit from him. He has been great to deal with and ships to me here in Germany kein problem (no problem).

Wow. I pride myself on knowing the local scene, but I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I had never heard of this shop!

The funny thing is, I think the first time I was ever in Northville was last weekend to play a gig. I was probably across the street from this shop and never knew to even look!

It sounds like Hans was having a really bad day. You might want to also fire off an email or letter to Sonor. This lapse in quality is totally out of character for them. I've dealt wuh Sonor a fair amount over the past 40 years and they've always been very responsive. They're very proud of their work and quite rightfully so. I see a new(er) drum set in your future. Good luck!

I was addressed by Mr. Andy Strack, export manager from Sonor Germany.
We corresponded for a while and in the end, I have agreed to send the kit back to Sonor.
According to international law of commerce, and the domestic laws in my country, that's the only solution at the moment.
Mr. Strack promised me that attending to my kit will be at their highest priority, and that he is now personally taking care of my case.
I know it will take a long time, but I hope this mess will come to a good ending.

Thanks for updating us. I realize that sending the kit back and waiting the months for it to be rectified is far from ideal, as just receiving the kit in the condition that you and Sonor expect would have been. It still sounds like this is good news. You aren't being left dangling anymore and have the process rolling.

Please continue with any further updates especially when you receive the kit. Hang in there man.

Oh man, I am so glad I have a good dealer. Anyone who "can't be bothered" with something after that big of a purchase has some issues. I looked at those pictures on a 4.8" screen and felt bad. Some of those issues are not small. A crack, the seam/joint out of line, the big warp, etc. Hope it all works out for you.

His kit is at the Sonor factory now. I saw it myself the other day when I was there and I asked about it. Bottom line is Sonor is taking care of it and covered the shipping costs.

20121005_130006.jpg

Last edited:
His kit is at the Sonor factory now. I saw it myself the other day when I was there and I asked about it. Bottom line is Sonor is taking care of it and covered the shipping costs.

20121005_130006.jpg

It feels so weird seeing my kit in your picture...

Yeah it was interesting because I had read this thread and even asked a few Sonor artists for you what they would recommend. Within a few seconds of seeing the shells I knew it was your kit! I had followed the thread and I own several Sonor kits. They really take pride in their work and I know they will make it right. I even took time during our tour to stop and ask David about your kit. Very small world.

I'm in the market for a new kit and had Sonor on my list. You have to wonder how that kit got out the door with all the quality control and craftsmanship Sonor prides and sells itself on. Don't give me any of that "Gunter had a bad day" crap. Everyone at Sonor dropped the ball and unfortunately the customer is the one that gets punished.

I hope they get it right this time. Keep us posted.

My SQ2 drum I got just a few days ago arrived perfect. No problems at all with my Benny Greb, Prolites or even the new S Classix kit I bought. Even at the factory showroom their Chinese made kits ( I played the Ascents longest ) were flawless. I saw countless SQ2 shells, Prolites, and so forth and the quality was perfect.

At each stage they have quality control so honestly I think it was maybe the 1%. Tell me any company that makes 100% of all products with no issues at all.

20121005_122306.jpg

20121005_122428.jpg

They have these flat plates to check and double check bearing edges at nearly every station where they make shells. This is a production run drum from the Prolite series:

20121005_124759.jpg

We are talking about products made from natural materials that react slightly different to environments and so forth.

The point is Sonor did not have any interest in taking care of this customer

His kit is being worked on at their factory so how exactly are they NOT taking care of the customer? You can see from my picture they even used the pictures he sent to address what he was not happy with. How about we see the end results before everyone passes final judgement.

I had a set of A customs I had an issue with. Zildjian wouldn't do anything for me but the Guitar Center took care of me. I have not lost all hope in Zildjian and over the years I have played and owned countless of their cymbals so you could say I was more than let down when the one time I had a real issue they wouldn't take care of me. Here they are taking care of the issue; maybe not in the instant overnight process everyone expects today.

I hope Sonor takes care of it. Just hate to see poor customer service. Says a lot about a company that has to be woke up. They passed the buck back to the dealer and then came into action after pressure was placed. As I said earlier poor customer service is abundant.

Try to get something done with Tama! I can tell you horror stories in just trying to order parts.

Back