Bouncing Beater

Kentuck

Just assembled a new Pearl Vision set, and the beater bounces on the stock Protone head. I have adjusted the head tension, adjusted the beater height, adjusted the spring tension, installed a falam slam pad, tried the felt side and plastic side, and it still bounces. This is extremely annoying! Am I missing something?

im guessing your doing what we call "burying the beater" if you push the pedal down and dont let your foot off its gonna bounce, its a habit a lot of people try to get rid of. just step and release man.

im guessing your doing what we call "burying the beater" if you push the pedal down and dont let your foot off its gonna bounce, its a habit a lot of people try to get rid of. just step and release man.
I found that releasing was another step I didn't want to add to each stroke. There's plenty to do just playing normally.

I found that using a Cam style pedal vs a Round Sprocket style helped immensely. It allowed me to play exactly the same and STILL the beater came off the head by itself.

The different pedal geometries play very different and the Cam type might get the job done with little or NO effort from the player.

This might not work for everyone, but here's my explanation here:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=485046&postcount=15

hmm never thought of that, i was going with the technique over machinery to solve problems, but i guess that what advances are for. i might have to check out some pedals with diff cams see if i like any.cheers

hmm never thought of that, i was going with the technique over machinery to solve problems, but i guess that what advances are for. i might have to check out some pedals with diff cams see if i like any.cheers
The DW 9000 is fully adjustable. It will go from sprocket to cam and anywhere in between. I can't wait to afford one for myself!!

Releasing is the only thing I can do now to avoid it, but I have played several sets that didn't have this problem, and I agree that you shouldn't have to pick your foot back up.

I am one of those who bury the beater, and bouncing is a problem. You can loosen the batter head a bit, take the patch off(I did and it helped a bunch. The patch is harder than the head), or learn to play without burying the beater. Do it while you are young.

I am one of those who bury the beater, and bouncing is a problem. You can loosen the batter head a bit, take the patch off(I did and it helped a bunch. The patch is harder than the head), or learn to play without burying the beater. Do it while you are young.

Another of 'bury the beater' annoyous here! Should start a club but do want to port my reso but keeping the patch on the batter.

Back